Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Traps, Pulls and Bootlegs

Started by RedRazorHog, September 19, 2017, 10:05:43 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

RedRazorHog

How many of you watch the details of the o-line play.  I recall when Pittman was here, we had more traps, our o-line was capable of creating the gaps for trap runs.  Also we seemed to have more guard pulls when he was here.  Finally, Austin has decent speed.  I see no Nake Bootlegs or Bootleg's to suck in a defense with drag routes as a safety valve to pull the safety and freeze a linebacker. 

Anyone know why we have shifted away from this?
"I've found that prayers work best when you have Big Players"

--Knute Rockne

onebadrubi

We haven't seen the traps and wham or whatever those were called since that first year.  Swanson was running them A LOT and it seems each year we got further away from them.  I've also asked why we don't see them any more.  No clue

Kevin

Quote from: onebadrubi on September 19, 2017, 10:33:26 pm
We haven't seen the traps and wham or whatever those were called since that first year.  Swanson was running them A LOT and it seems each year we got further away from them.  I've also asked why we don't see them any more.  No clue

the wham was used a lot last year. any time antwine came into the game, he was the whammer
Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you.<br />James 4:7
Reject Every Kind Of Evil 1 Thessalonians 5:22

RedRazorHog

Quote from: Kevin on September 20, 2017, 06:45:12 am
the wham was used a lot last year. any time antwine came into the game, he was the whammer

The WAM play was good for positive yardage every time.  I guess it's not in Enos' playbook. 

I also agree that Enos tries to use the pass to set up the run more than using the run to set up the pass.   But I also think we don't quite have the offensive line coaching we used to have.  Not that I'm calling for the Petrino return, but I do remember watching his coaching show one night and seeing me breakdown the offensive line adjusting to what the defensive alignment was showing.  Reminded me of playing in college, because he was talking about take the left foot and stepping it a different angle, after setting it a different angle to throw off the d-line.  He knew his stuff, and our line was much better in those days.

--Knute Rockne

onebadrubi

Quote from: Kevin on September 20, 2017, 06:45:12 am

I remember maybe twice, and that was BA's last year if I'm not mistaken.  The ole miss game in which we hit the 4th and 25 had a couple of them

al_pigcino

I also remember trying to trap Rutgers and the fast DL shot the gaps.  We have enough time getting hands on the guys across the ball already. 

woodrow hog call

Quote from: RedRazorHog on September 19, 2017, 10:05:43 pm
How many of you watch the details of the o-line play.  I recall when Pittman was here, we had more traps, our o-line was capable of creating the gaps for trap runs.  Also we seemed to have more guard pulls when he was here.  Finally, Austin has decent speed.  I see no Nake Bootlegs or Bootleg's to suck in a defense with drag routes as a safety valve to pull the safety and freeze a linebacker. 

What play did we score the TD on against TCU? I thought it was a naked boot but I could be mis remembering.
"I hate rude behavior in a man, I won't tolerate it"

TheJoeyBucketz

I saw TCU's d wham the hell outta us inside the 10 yd line a few times.
Dominic Fletcher following his homerun against Texas Tech in Omaha, "I thought they said this park was big?!"

Hoggish1

Quote from: RedRazorHog on September 19, 2017, 10:05:43 pm

You are completely wrong.

HamSammich

Against TCU I saw three bootlegs one very naked that went for a bunch of yards. Our line still heavily pull blocks. I'm not sure what you guys mean by a wham block.

Just rewatch the last two games. I don't see a lot of differences in plays to be honest not the blocking scheme.

Btw if you rollout much versus tamu you are gonna have a broke qb.

RedRazorHog

Quote from: Hoggish1 on September 20, 2017, 03:20:10 pm
You are completely wrong.

Wrong about what?  Actually "completely wrong" about what....that we used to run a lot traps and pulls, or that we stopped running them.

--Knute Rockne

Hoggish1

Quote from: RedRazorHog on September 20, 2017, 09:53:02 pm
Wrong about what?  Actually "completely wrong" about what....that we used to run a lot traps and pulls, or that we stopped running them.

Yes, about traps, draws and screens. I guess you forgot that in the Mr and Mrs Pitman days we were too un-nimble to do anything but block straight ahead.

clutch

Quote from: HamSammich on September 20, 2017, 03:39:15 pm
Against TCU I saw three bootlegs one very naked that went for a bunch of yards. Our line still heavily pull blocks. I'm not sure what you guys mean by a wham block.

Just rewatch the last two games. I don't see a lot of differences in plays to be honest not the blocking scheme.

Btw if you rollout much versus tamu you are gonna have a broke qb.

A Wham is pretty much a trap block from the FB or H-Back position. For example, if you are facing a 3-4 front, the center and one of the tackles are going to release to the 2nd level and the H-back will block down on the nose. Basically just and inside trap.