Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Are you a forgiving fan?

Started by Piggfoot, September 27, 2017, 03:02:54 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Piggfoot

Would you take Bobby or Gus back?
Hog fan since 1960. So thankful for Sam Pittman.

DeltaBoy

If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

jacobp

Hoggie17

Inhogswetrust

If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

BroyledNutts

longpig

Never.  They're still making head coaches, no reason to take ones that didn't work out when you can just get a fresh one.
Don't be scared, be smart.

East Clintwood

Any dog can be a seeing eye dog if you don't care where you're going.

Like  blows - Bring back Karma

007 License To Squeal

******Proud Member of Hogville.net since May 22, 2003, 08:17:38 PM*******

GolfnHog

No to either. Those ships sailed and there's no dock space
Have you ever listened to someone  or read what they put into thoughts and wondered...."who ties your shoelaces for you?"

phadedhawg

Bobby yes, Gus no. 

I support Jeff Long's decision to fire Petrino but Bobby has paid his dues and is worthy of forgiveness. 

I was never impressed with High School and I am still not.  Would it be an improvement over the current coach?  Probably.

DemiHOG

NO, my gosh have some integrity !!

lstewart

A lot of people don't like Gus. I don't think he would be interested in the UA job unless he ends up getting fired at Auburn. A good bit of the luster has worn off him the past few years. All that said, it's probably not impossible that he might be considered somewhere down the road.

Bobby probably would not be feasible. He probably would not be willing to come back here, and I can't imagine a scenario where things changed enough with the folks in charge for him to actually get a future offer.

In theory....., it seems Bobby would probably have a better chance to win big here, since he has done it before.

Athog

hoglady

Bobby in a heartbeat.

Gus can't get a functioning offense at Auburn - why would anyone want him?
Inside every "older" person is a younger person wondering what the hell happened?

"Compassion for animals is intimately associated with goodness of character, and it may be confidently asserted that he who is cruel to animals cannot be a good man."
― Arthur Schopenhauer, The Basis of Morality

moses_007

I'd be happy with Malzahn.  He should have been a Razorback since he was an Arkansan.

Hoggie17

Quote from: hoglady on September 27, 2017, 03:20:26 pm
Bobby in a heartbeat.

Gus can't get a functioning offense at Auburn - why would anyone want him?
I would come to Fayetteville, Crawl all the way to Louisville with a contract in my mouth if it would work.

island hog

you have got to be kidding... talk about being the laughingstock of the college football world.  NO NEVER. 

cram224

Please help me understand why we would hire Gus. His program at Auburn is sliding. His offence is to predicable. And he has recruited some of the best rated talent in the SEC and not done anything with it. I just don't see what he brings to the table.

LRHawg

Grizzlyfan

Bobby yes.  Gus, not as head coach.  I don't believe he is the head coach many thought he would be.  OC yes.

Hoggie17

Quote from: cram224 on September 27, 2017, 03:27:47 pm
Please help me understand why we would hire Gus. His program at Auburn is sliding. His offence is to predicable. And he has recruited some of the best rated talent in the SEC and not done anything with it. I just don't see what he brings to the table.
Calm down, Gus is not coming to Arkansas.

Hoggiedawg

Neither.  Time to move on from the past and present and hire a coach that can win at Arkansas.

longpig

Quote from: cram224 on September 27, 2017, 03:27:47 pm

His annoying wife Kristi is enough reason not to.
Don't be scared, be smart.

grayhawg

DeltaBoy

If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

hoglady

Quote from: grayhawg on September 27, 2017, 03:33:39 pm
Where has that got us?

I've never quite bought into the integrity spiel.
That was born on the back of a tearful self serving press conference firing a football coach.
A press conference I might add that only benefitted one person - Jeff Long.
Inside every "older" person is a younger person wondering what the hell happened?

"Compassion for animals is intimately associated with goodness of character, and it may be confidently asserted that he who is cruel to animals cannot be a good man."
― Arthur Schopenhauer, The Basis of Morality

Been10Hog

Quote from: hoglady on September 27, 2017, 03:39:14 pm
That was born on the back of a tearful self serving press conference firing a football coach.
Don't see how that firing has benefitted him! Not much love on Hogville, the radio or around the water cooler for Jeff Long. He did make the only 2 WOW hires for a Razorback football coach in getting Petrino to come here and getting the 3 time defending Big 10 champion coach to come here. Maybe Bret won't work out, but Broyles never got a big time coach to take a chance here! Long hired 2 coaches that made the entire sports world say "What the Hell are they going to Arkansas for?" He could do it again and might give BP a 2nd chance

gchamblee

Quote from: hoglady on September 27, 2017, 03:39:14 pm

When Louisville had a press conference today over the firing of their coach/AD was that self serving, or was it just standard practice when firing a high profile employee? If it is just standard to have a press conference after firing a high profile coach, then why was Jeffs self serving? Is it because he struggled with it and cried and you felt it was an acting job to lobby for celebrity status?

Generally, when someone is fired nobody benefits. It puts both parties in a bad position. I highly doubt Jeff had ambitions of being on the playoff committee. My guess is, that was an unexpected consequence that pissed you off because you were so pro Bobby you would never give Jeff a fair shake in that situation.

Benefitting from a bad situation is not proof that the benefit was orchestrated. Do you have proof of that or have you simply made it your personal goal to crusade against the man for firing your favorite coach? I miss Bobby too and I would not weep if he came back, but acting like Jeff orchestrated this whole thing for selfish attention to promote himself to the CFP Committee is absolutely ludicrous.

I am not singling you out. I consider you a pretty solid member of this community and often read your posts with a nod of agreement, but this subject is just manufactured outrage. The only reason I can possibly imagine that a reasonable person like yourself would push this rubbish is you feel like you need to get even with the man that was tasked with doing his job in a bad situation.

WizardofhOgZ

Quote from: Piggfoot on September 27, 2017, 03:02:54 pm

CBP - as much as I wish what happened never did, and he was still here . . . no.  Sadly, his own actions forced our hand there.  And, having fired him, there's no real way we can ever bring him back (not that he would come if offered - because he would not).

Gus?  Different story, more complicated and nuanced.  He is an Arkansas native, and he built his reputation here.  I don't think this will ever happen, now.  But I could possibly support this . . . possibly.  Would depend on a lot of things that aren't known at present. 

gchamblee

Quote from: WizardofhOgZ on September 27, 2017, 03:53:19 pm
CBP - as much as I wish what happened never did, and he was still here . . . no.  Sadly, his own actions forced our hand there.  And, having fired him, there's no real way we can ever bring him back (not that he would come if offered - because he would not).

Gus?  Different story, more complicated and nuanced.  He is an Arkansas native, and he built his reputation here.  I don't think this will ever happen, now.  But I could possibly support this . . . possibly.  Would depend on a lot of things that aren't known at present.

Those players that he exploited to get the job were also Arkansas natives. Is this only important to us if we benefit from it?

sw403

Would take either one.  Don't think CBP would come back and I think the Gus bridge is burnt.  Thanks nutz.

BigK_HogHeaven

I hope you're asking as a hypothetical and aren't actually thinking that JL wants Petrino or Gus.  Gus can barely win at Auburn, with much better players than he could get here.  I have no desire to have Gus as a HC and doubt JL does either.  Petrino is a great coach but we aren't opening that door again.  No way

WizardofhOgZ

Quote from: gchamblee on September 27, 2017, 03:55:32 pm
Those players that he exploited to get the job were also Arkansas natives. Is this only important to us if we benefit from it?

Notice that I said "possibly"contingent upon a lot of things.  Not "probably".  And that's in comparison to CBP, for which there is zero possibility. 

GuvHog

Bobby - Yes, in a New York Minute!

Gus - When Hades freezes over which means NEVER!!!
Bleeding Razorback Red Since Birth!!!

Southerneyes

Forgiving for anyone but Nutt sack!

311Hog

ur

Yes, no. And this leading the team out through the A!

cj_sez

Danimal

Dr Carl aka Shorthog

hoghearted

Quote from: phadedhawg on September 27, 2017, 03:16:51 pm
Bobby yes, Gus no. 

I support Jeff Long's decision to fire Petrino but Bobby has paid his dues and is worthy of forgiveness. 

I was never impressed with High School and I am still not.  Would it be an improvement over the current coach?  Probably.

It really is this simple. Unchecked government power leads to corruption, and lack of accountability for it is drastically eroding confidence in our institutions.    aristotle

hoghearted

Quote from: Been10Hog on September 27, 2017, 03:49:17 pm
Don't see how that firing has benefitted him! Not much love on Hogville, the radio or around the water cooler for Jeff Long. He did make the only 2 WOW hires for a Razorback football coach in getting Petrino to come here and getting the 3 time defending Big 10 champion coach to come here. Maybe Bret won't work out, but Broyles never got a big time coach to take a chance here! Long hired 2 coaches that made the entire sports world say "What the Hell are they going to Arkansas for?" He could do it again and might give BP a 2nd chance

He was force fed Petrino, so while technically he hired him, he didn't 'get him to come here'. Bobby was begging for an interview.

He also really didn't have to try that hard to land Bielema. When Long fired Petrino, BB sent Long a handwritten note, praising his courage and integrity. I don't think Long had to put much effort into the hire, and I believe Bielema was looking to get out from under BA's control.
It really is this simple. Unchecked government power leads to corruption, and lack of accountability for it is drastically eroding confidence in our institutions.    aristotle

jm

Bobby can't field a defense. Why give up Bret's 40 points a game and can't defend enough to win just to bring in Bobby's high scoring offense and still can't win big games because the defense can't hold up?  I have seen enough do nothing defense to last me a life time regardless of the coaches name...

gchamblee

Quote from: hoghearted on September 27, 2017, 05:16:49 pm
He was force fed Petrino, so while technically he hired him, he didn't 'get him to come here'. Bobby was begging for an interview.

He also really didn't have to try that hard to land Bielema. When Long fired Petrino, BB sent Long a handwritten note, praising his courage and integrity. I don't think Long had to put much effort into the hire, and I believe Bielema was looking to get out from under BA's control.

All that matters is results. The results are, JL hired them. That's what AD's do.

Been10Hog

Quote from: hoghearted on September 27, 2017, 05:16:49 pm

Wow! You must have a severe case of the butt hurt from Long firing Petrino! Refusing to give him any credit for hiring Petrino! He did hire BB too! And despite your delusional talk he did win 3 straight Big 10 titles. No AD ever had 2 hires like that in Razorback history!! Fact!! He got them here! Those were like 2 Gruden hires at the time. He has the respect of the entire college football world and he doesn't give a rat's ass about what Hogville crybabies think!

ImHogginIt

Hell yes and maybe

And neither did anything I feel they should have to be forgiven for.

grayhawg

Quote from: Been10Hog on September 27, 2017, 05:24:50 pm
Wow! You must have a severe case of the butt hurt from Long firing Petrino! Refusing to give him any credit for hiring Petrino! He did hire BB too! And despite your delusional talk he did win 3 straight Big 10 titles. No AD ever had 2 hires like that in Razorback history!! Fact!! He got them here! Those were like 2 Gruden hires at the time. He has the respect of the entire college football world and he doesn't give a rat's ass about what Hogville crybabies think!
Disagree, you need to study what happened.

Hogs-n-Roses

no and no. I am a forgiving person but this deal is about more than forgiveness. I don't know bout Gus but BP needs to be led to the lord. I would love that opportunity but till I did it my self(led him) I don't think he could be trusted with the Hogs again. Gus would fracture our fan base worse than it is now. There are plenty of great young coaches like BP n the next BP is out there. We just need a scruples exam :)