Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Fort Smith Tevin Brewer 24.2 ppg in JUCO

Started by woo.pig, January 18, 2018, 09:34:08 am

Previous topic - Next topic

woo.pig

With a high of 37 in 13 games. 47.6 FG% 42.3 3PT%, 81.1 FT% 3.2 REB, 4.2 Assist/turnover, 28 Steals.

This kid could help this team this year. If we're lucky in 2 years

FineAsSwine

I'm kinda burned out on Jucos right now. Hard for me to get excited.
Hogs up! Covid down!

Hawg Red

AlmaHog2011

Love the kid and have watched him many times. He's not going to help us. I will say that you see a player like the Miss State PG and it makes you change your opinion. IMO he can't play at the SEC level but I will say he's a lot better player than Beard was in HS. Way better .

AlmaHog2011

Hawg Red

AlmaHog2011

Quote from: Hawg Red on January 18, 2018, 03:25:00 pm
You know that isn't a good idea, right?

I don't see anyway Mike offers him. He's just too small. He's also a shoot it first player.

Hawg Red

Quote from: AlmaHog2011 on January 18, 2018, 03:28:48 pm
I don't see anyway Mike offers him. He's just too small. He's also a shoot it first player.

Agreed. Way too small. Justice Hill is about as small (short) as we should go.

AlmaHog2011

I want to add he's a full qualifier he went the JC route to see if he could earn a D1 offer. I love his attitude he's a worker and has worked his tail off. If he went head to head with Beard he would easily win that war. He is the type attitude that he could go somewhere and show people he really is a D1 player. I hope he gets a chance just don't see it at Arkansas.

golfinpig

I've never seen the kid but one of my best buds live in Ft Smith and has seen the kid multiple games. He says the Brewer kid was always the best player on the court.

hogfanny

Isaiah Thomas of the Cavaliers is 5-8 I believe. Is this Brewer of the Boothead family? I
f he can shoot and dish never mind the height.

Hawg Red

Quote from: hogfanny on January 18, 2018, 09:52:06 pm
Isaiah Thomas of the Cavaliers is 5-8 I believe. Is this Brewer of the Boothead family? I
f he can shoot and dish never mind the height.

If this kid was as good as IT, he'd be playing at a major program. You can't ignore everything stacked against him/the idea of signing him just because there's one guy in the NBA that's 5'8.

mbgrulz

Being 5-7 isn't ideal, but Trae Young is 5-10 and the Waters kid at LSU is about the same. Chiozza at UF is sub 6-0 too. There is a place for guys who are small but can play. Ive seen Brewer play multiple times and he was the best player on the court every time.  Could he play for us? I'm not sure, but I dang sure wouldn't write him off.

Hawg Red

Quote from: mbgrulz on January 19, 2018, 07:07:37 am
Being 5-7 isn't ideal, but Trae Young is 5-10 and the Waters kid at LSU is about the same. Chiozza at UF is sub 6-0 too. There is a place for guys who are small but can play. Ive seen Brewer play multiple times and he was the best player on the court every time.  Could he play for us? I'm not sure, but I dang sure wouldn't write him off.

Why do you think so many coaches wrote him off but not these other smaller players?

(By the way, Trae Young is listed at 6'2.)

PharmacistHog

Maybe he'll go to ole miss and kick our ass everytime we play them.
Quote from: HogPharmer on December 27, 2018, 09:45:23 am
Millennials suck...

Quote from: GA reddiehog on May 18, 2019, 12:36:02 pm
Hogs have hit a wall at the wrong time of the season.  I will go on record now and say they may not even get out of their regional.  The hitting has been carrying them with a few good pitching outings but they just don't have the reliable pitching they need to get back to the CWS.

We'll probably tie up a scholarship with a WAC transfer that averaged 2.2 PPG.

draftkings33

Quote from: FineAsSwine on January 18, 2018, 10:11:28 am
I'm kinda burned out on Jucos right now. Hard for me to get excited.
Yea Barford just dropped 28 on Florida and is shooting 50 percent this year.....

draftkings33

Quote from: Hawg Red on January 19, 2018, 07:50:27 am
Why do you think so many coaches wrote him off but not these other smaller players?

(By the way, Trae Young is listed at 6'2.)
If you think Young is 6-2 I have some beach property to sell you

draftkings33

Quote from: mbgrulz on January 19, 2018, 07:07:37 am
Beard is another one, 5-10 max

Hawg Red

Quote from: draftkings33 on January 19, 2018, 08:47:49 am
If you think Young is 6-2 I have some beach property to sell you

"Trae Young is listed at 6'2."

I haven't put a tape measure to Trae Young. Neither have you. He's listed at 6'2. That's what we have to go on.

http://www.nbadraft.net/players/trae-young

QuoteMeasured 6'1.5'' in shoes, with a 6'2'' wingspan and 162 lbs at the 2015 Nike Basketball Academy

Go sell "beach property" (I think "beach front property" is what you were actually looking for) to whoever does the measuring at the Nike Basketball Academy.

You sure do love being wrong about player heights. I believe you were the one in the Basketball Recruiting forum that tried to claim there were more sub 6'3 players in the NBA than 6'4-6'5 players.

draftkings33

Quote from: Hawg Red on January 19, 2018, 08:57:26 am
"Trae Young is listed at 6'2."

I haven't put a tape measure to Trae Young. Neither have you. He's listed at 6'2. That's what we have to go on.

http://www.nbadraft.net/players/trae-young

Go sell "beach property" (I think "beach front property" is what you were actually looking for) to whoever does the measuring at the Nike Basketball Academy.

You sure do love being wrong about player heights. I believe you were the one in the Basketball Recruiting forum that tried to claim there were more sub 6'3 players in the NBA than 6'4-6'5 players.
Are better players in the world 6-3 and under or 6-4 to 6-5 range?  That was basically my point saying 6-5 is too tall to be elite quick and too short to have elite length.  As far as Young goes if you look at him and honestly think he is 6-2 then I can't help you.  And again out of the top 10 teams in the NBA there is only a few starters in the 6-4 to 6-5 range. 

Hawg Red

Quote from: draftkings33 on January 19, 2018, 08:48:51 am
Beard is another one, 5-10 max

http://www.nbadraft.net/players/anton-beard

QuoteNotes: Measured 5'11.5 (in shoes) 187 lbs, with a 6'2 wingspan at the 2013 Nike Guard Skills Academy

There's a reason why Beard is listed at 6'0, because he is. (Basketball players don't play barefoot.)

draftkings33

Quote from: Hawg Red on January 19, 2018, 09:03:41 am
http://www.nbadraft.net/players/anton-beard

There's a reason why Beard is listed at 6'0, because he is. (Basketball players don't play barefoot.)
LOL dude I've talked to Beard several times.  He would laugh if someone told him he was 6-0.  I can't believe you honestly think Beard is 6 foot.  Talk to anybody who knows him. 

Hawg Red

Quote from: draftkings33 on January 19, 2018, 09:02:39 am
Are better players in the world 6-3 and under or 6-4 to 6-5 range?  That was basically my point saying 6-5 is too tall to be elite quick and too short to have elite length.  As far as Young goes if you look at him and honestly think he is 6-2 then I can't help you.  And again out of the top 10 teams in the NBA there is only three starters in the 6-4 to 6-5 range.

Well, there's more players at those two heights (6'4 and 6'5) in the NBA than there are at any other height below that 6'4 threshold. You tell me? Seems like 6'4-6'5 is doing better to me.

Your problem seems to be that you trust your eyes over an impartial tape measure. Says a lot about you and you biased way of arguing in the face of facts.

FineAsSwine

Quote from: draftkings33 on January 19, 2018, 08:46:55 am
Yea Barford just dropped 28 on Florida and is shooting 50 percent this year.....

I was thinking about Cook when I typed that. But yeah, Barford is a player and it would have been great to get him out of high school as well. By the time they get acclimated to D1 ball, it is time for them to go.
Hogs up! Covid down!

Hawg Red

Quote from: draftkings33 on January 19, 2018, 09:04:48 am
LOL dude I've talked to Beard several times.  He would laugh if someone told him he was 6-0.  I can't believe you honestly think Beard is 6 foot.  Talk to anybody who knows him.

Did he laugh at the person who measured him at 5'11 and a half in shoes?

This isn't about what I think. It's about what facts are available to go off of. I'm not relying on the eye test or what someone told me like you. That's a loser's path.

draftkings33

Quote from: FineAsSwine on January 19, 2018, 09:06:51 am
I was thinking about Cook when I typed that. But yeah, Barford is a player and it would have been great to get him out of high school as well. By the time they get acclimated to D1 ball, it is time for them to go.
Macon and Barford have had good careers here

FineAsSwine

Quote from: draftkings33 on January 19, 2018, 09:08:33 am
Macon and Barford have had good careers here

They would have been even better here if they had came in as frosh.
Hogs up! Covid down!

draftkings33

Quote from: Hawg Red on January 19, 2018, 09:08:25 am
Did he laugh at the person who measured him at 5'11 and a half in shoes?

This isn't about what I think. It's about what facts are available to go off of. I'm not relying on the eye test or what someone told me like you. That's a loser's path.
I'm sure he did.  Because he knows he's slightly under 5-10 without shoes

draftkings33

Quote from: FineAsSwine on January 19, 2018, 09:10:25 am
They would have been even better here if they had came in as frosh.
Well they couldn't

Hawg Red

Quote from: draftkings33 on January 19, 2018, 09:12:24 am
I'm sure he did.  Because he knows he's slightly under 5-10 without shoes

Without shoes is irrelevant unless they start letting players play barefoot or in socks.

draftkings33

Quote from: Hawg Red on January 19, 2018, 09:14:42 am
Without shoes is irrelevant unless they start letting players play barefoot or in socks.
There is a reason they measure you without shoes in the NFL and NBA.  It's called true height.  You can find shoes that make you 2 inches taller.  Doesn't mean you can play ball in those shoes. 

Hawg Red

Quote from: draftkings33 on January 19, 2018, 09:17:44 am
There is a reason they measure you without shoes in the NFL and NBA.  It's called true height.  You can find shoes that make you 2 inches taller.  Doesn't mean you can play ball in those shoes.

They use in-shoes heights when listing heights for players at all levels. So that's what we go on. Otherwise, we'd need to knock an inch and a half to two inches off everyone's height, but I never seen anyone say Dan Gafford is 6'9. Most height measurements I've observed give the player one inch or 1.5 inches with shoes. I can't recall ever seeing a 2-inch difference. Players don't play at their true height, which is why their true height is never listed, so we go on in-shoe measurements. Or, in your case, what your eyes think or what someone told you.

woo.pig

Y'all worried about height I'm looking at 4.2 assist to turnover ratio and over 2 steals per game

Hawg Red

Quote from: woo.pig on January 19, 2018, 09:25:30 am
Y'all worried about height I'm looking at 4.2 assist to turnover ratio and over 2 steals per game

I'm sure he's a great JUCO player but would likely struggle at the next level. He would be about as big of a waste of time as Connor Vanover would be.

Grizzlyfan

Tevin will probably end up back at UA Fort Smith where he committed in the first place.  I hate that he's not there now so we can play more often, but I appreciate his desire to chase the dream of D1.

labb

January 19, 2018, 10:03:56 am #36 Last Edit: January 19, 2018, 10:59:51 am by labb
Do a google for Calvin Murphy.

draftkings33

Quote from: Hawg Red on January 19, 2018, 09:27:42 am
I'm sure he's a great JUCO player but would likely struggle at the next level. He would be about as big of a waste of time as Connor Vanover would be.
What about Austin Reaves?  I wish we had him

draftkings33

Quote from: Grizzlyfan on January 19, 2018, 09:52:13 am
Tevin will probably end up back at UA Fort Smith where he committed in the first place.  I hate that he's not there now so we can play more often, but I appreciate his desire to chase the dream of D1.
Hey Grizzly who has a better chance of winning state this year Northside boys or girls?

Hawg Red

Quote from: draftkings33 on January 19, 2018, 10:04:17 am
What about Austin Reaves?  I wish we had him

Good player. Not sure how well he would have fit in on this team. He also had some academic hurdles to clear at the time and had already signed C.J. Jones in the late period.

draftkings33

Quote from: Hawg Red on January 19, 2018, 10:10:23 am
Good player. Not sure how well he would have fit in on this team. He also had some academic hurdles to clear at the time and had already signed C.J. Jones in the late period.
Yea.  I would take him all day everyday over C.J.

Hawg Red

Quote from: draftkings33 on January 19, 2018, 10:13:09 am
Yea.  I would take him all day everyday over C.J.

He's certainly more skilled at this point, but clearly inferior athletically. If we had a coach who deployed a more fundamental brand of basketball, I think Reaves is clearly the better fit. He may be a better fit right now, but if C.J. Jones breaks free from how he's been playing of late, he can be a dynamic scorer/threat. They're really different players, though.

draftkings33

I would say Reaves is better at every aspect of the game with a huge advantage in ball handling and passing.

GuvHog

Quote from: Hawg Red on January 19, 2018, 09:27:42 am

At least with Connor Vanover, the Hogs would  have somewhat of a big man to come off of the bench to give Gafford a breather at times next year. As it stands now, Gafford will be the only true big man on the team next year. That is poor recruiting.
Bleeding Razorback Red Since Birth!!!

Hawg Red

Quote from: GuvHog on January 19, 2018, 10:23:32 am
At least with Connor Vanover, the Hogs would  have somewhat of a big man to come off of the bench to give Gafford a breather at times next year. As it stands now, Gafford will be the only true big man on the team next year. That is poor recruiting.

If Gafford is even here. I agree that we need a big but I don't think Vanover would have helped much.

draftkings33

Quote from: GuvHog on January 19, 2018, 10:23:32 am
If Gafford leaves early we will be possibly only team in power 5 conference with no player over 6-8

Hawg Red

Quote from: draftkings33 on January 19, 2018, 10:25:22 am
If Gafford leaves early we will be possibly only team in power 5 conference with no player over 6-8

Many on here would have you believe that's no biggie. It is. We aren't Villanova.

GuvHog

If that happens, the Hogs will get killed in the lane next year.
Bleeding Razorback Red Since Birth!!!

PharmacistHog

I dont keep up with draft stock. How realistic is it that he leaves. I know he has played well as a freshman but I wouldn't think he's worked his way that far up but like I said, I dont keep up with that.
Quote from: HogPharmer on December 27, 2018, 09:45:23 am
Millennials suck...

Quote from: GA reddiehog on May 18, 2019, 12:36:02 pm
Hogs have hit a wall at the wrong time of the season.  I will go on record now and say they may not even get out of their regional.  The hitting has been carrying them with a few good pitching outings but they just don't have the reliable pitching they need to get back to the CWS.

draftkings33

Quote from: PharmacistHog on January 19, 2018, 10:33:14 am
I dont keep up with draft stock. How realistic is it that he leaves. I know he has played well as a freshman but I wouldn't think he's worked his way that far up but like I said, I dont keep up with that.
I don't feel like he is anywhere close to ready for the NBA but he is listed in first round now by some mock drafts.