Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

The Norvell Campaign Feels a Little Like Nutt

Started by Hugo Bezdek, November 17, 2017, 06:09:59 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

prattville pig

Quote from: cosmodrum on November 18, 2017, 02:35:16 am
Any established, proven coach isn't coming here because they have a good job. We need to take a shot on an "up and comer." We have to catch lightening in a bottle. I want Norvell, but o have no idea if he will succeed here. I would like to give him a shot, though.
Life's too short to last long.

Paul

Quote from: Pork Twain on November 17, 2017, 10:47:10 pm
What I don't like about the Norvell talk is picking and choosing what is talked about.  People don't want to knock his defense because he plays in a conference not known for defense but want to heap praise on him for his offense...in...a...conference...that...is...not...known...for...defense...

Maybe he would be great here, but if does not field a defense worth a darn, it won't matter.  What I like about Gus over him is that he has shown he can translate his success into the SEC, but he has done so with Auburn level talent and I am not so sure he could replicate that here. 

I do like the idea of hiring one of these as our next HC: Holtz, Strong, Gundy or Leach (HC) or Venables or Diaz (AC)
. Sooo you think Gundy & Leach have had good defenses?

apcapri

Gus was/is an offensive coach that only had 1yr head coaching experience at a g5 school that the former coach had built up to a high level when Auburn hired him. Doesn't seem like they were worried about his defense. I think Norvell is the same for us now and I'm sure he knows that he needs a top DC to win in the SEC just like Gus knew.

jgcat4

Quote from: cjack on November 17, 2017, 10:59:53 pm
What bothers me is a lot of the anti Norvell guys say no because he's unproven in a big program. 

So if we wait until he's made it somewhere else all we'll hear is we can't get the big name over this program or that program because they're bigger.   

Neither argument makes any sense to me, and Oklahoma seems to be doing pretty good with a young "unproven" coach.

I'll bite. I'm a Norvell fan. His defenses aren't great. SMU put up 45 I think today. He will learn that a good defense is needed here. Will we win more with him and a bad defense than we did with Shrek? Absolutely. Will he learn and hire as good of a DC as he can at Arkansas? I think so. He hasn't become one of the hottest names in coaching by failing to learn or make adjustments.
Coaching Search Season-It's the most wonderful time of the year...

hogfansince79

Before today's game SMU was...

#9   pts/g - 39.6
#11 yds/g - 497

... one of the top offenses in the country.
"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." — Will Rogers

"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." — George Carlin