Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Razorback Depth Chart plus statics from 1st spring game Saturday 3/10/18

Started by Earth Hog Fan, March 12, 2018, 09:40:05 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Earth Hog Fan

I had never heard of Musselman. But he's a teacher, demands discipline and builds from the defensive end first. I want our football coach to be just like him."

The_Iceman

I heard that 2 of Kelley's 3 incompletions were drops by the WRs. Almost a flawless day. Honestly, I've never thought there is an actual QB competition. It's Kelley's job.

twistitup

Quote from: The_Iceman on March 12, 2018, 10:52:44 am
It's Kelley's job.

Many Razorback fans say the Storey has not been written yet....

I'm pulling for the best QB to start - Cole is looking tough
How you gonna win when you ain't right within?

Here I am again mixing misery and gin....

Boss Hog in the Arkansas

That's right, you don't want to be the man to replace the man.  You want to be the man to replace Rory Segrest.

Dark Helmet Hog

How much will some of the incoming freshmen affect the chart? It'll be fun to see.

ricepig

rzrbaxfan

I know it's just practice stats, but Hammonds getting 4 catches for 51 yards gets me pretty pumped.  I have a feeling that Morris is going to find a way to get the ball in TJ's hands quite a bit this fall.

MAGA45

Fake News

woodhog14

Quote from: rzrbaxfan on March 12, 2018, 01:08:10 pm
I know it's just practice stats, but Hammonds getting 4 catches for 51 yards gets me pretty pumped.  I have a feeling that Morris is going to find a way to get the ball in TJ's hands quite a bit this fall.
He better learn to pass block better. That's is directly from the coaches after some practices and the scrimmage.

woodhog14

I heard that 2 of Kelley's 3 incompletions were drops by the WRs. Almost a flawless day. Honestly, I've never thought there is an actual QB competition. It's Kelley's job.
I don't know if it's Kelley's or not, but CM was quoted after the scrimmage about our QB's that "We are consistently inconsistent at the QB position."

twistitup

How you gonna win when you ain't right within?

Here I am again mixing misery and gin....

ricepig

MAGA45

Fake News

MAGA45

Fake News

jgphillips3

Quote from: MAGA45 on March 12, 2018, 01:38:54 pm

Nice, IBM's bloodline, like it.

Now if we can just get Tandy and Commodore to send us their kids...

#1 STUNNA

Quote from: rzrbaxfan on March 12, 2018, 01:08:10 pm

yea until you see his rushing stats..lol

bennyl08

Quote from: Dark Helmet Hog on March 12, 2018, 11:45:03 am
How much will some of the incoming freshmen affect the chart? It'll be fun to see.

Not very much. Pool will likely move forward to OR status with Morgan. Billy Ferrel has the talent to work into the rotation at DT, but keep in mind this depth chart is missing two key players as well.

If we don't restrict incoming players to freshmen and also look at the JUCO's, Gerald will very likely move at least into the two deep if not garner a starting spot. TBH, I'm a bit surprised that Ramsey is listed as a starter given that he has almost zero run stopping skills. He's great as a player who only enters the game on third and long and special teams, but i'd be surprised if he is actually a starting DE when summer rolls around.

Boyd could also play a factor for us as well. With Whaley, Maleek, and Hayden, we are pretty good at RB. Boyd isn't going to have an easy path to playing time. However, as a JUCO, you have to expect that the coaches hope he can play. Perhaps they can try and redshirt Hayden or something? Who knows.
Quote from: PorkSoda on May 05, 2016, 09:24:05 pm
damn I thought it was only a color, didn't realize it was named after a liqueur. leave it to benny to make me research the history of chartreuse

redleg

Even the current roster from the UA website isn't up to date. Brian Wallace is already down from 335 to around 315 lbs. He should be able to move much more quickly now. I'll be curious to see how much weight Jalen Merrick and Johnny Gibson lose, because both of their weights shot up by 15 lbs or more from the end of last season to the current roster.

Which RB will lead the team in rush yards? Whaley? Hammonds? Williams? Hayden? Boyd?
--- my pick is Devwah Whaley.
Which WR will lead the team in receptions and receiving yards? J-Red? Martin? Nance? Jones? Another WR? 
--- I'll go with Jared Cornelius.

On defense, I know Chavis' base D is a 4-3, but it's looking more and more like this is actually going to be more of a 4-2-5, because those guys listed at SLB/Nickel are pretty small for an SEC outside LB. They're more like big safeties. Is this consistent with past Chavis defenses?
I also see where TJ Smith has added more weight (305) and will be staying at DT, which I think is a good thing with his quickness. Agim is down to 280, but I wouldn't be shocked if he dropped more lbs. and got down to around 270. With his strength, non-stop motor, and pure talent, he should be formidable this fall with increased speed and quickness!  :o

Who will lead the team in sacks? Agim? Ramsey? Gerald? Bell? Another player?
--- I say Agim.
I think DeJon Harris is a great pick to lead the team in tackles. Maybe Greenlaw.
Who leads the team in INTs? Pulley? Calloway? Curl? Ramirez? Another player?
--- Pulley. I predict he ends up with 4 INTs or more.
If it ain't broke, fix it till it is.

redeye

I see Jamario Bell is 3rd on the depth chart at RE, behind Ramsey and Richardson, but was 2nd on the team in tackles and 1st in TFL and Sacks.  Anyone know why?

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: redleg on March 16, 2018, 08:18:37 am
On defense, I know Chavis' base D is a 4-3, but it's looking more and more like this is actually going to be more of a 4-2-5, because those guys listed at SLB/Nickel are pretty small for an SEC outside LB. They're more like big safeties. Is this consistent with past Chavis defenses?

These are the links that I provided in the thread I posted about getting to know Chavis' defensive philosophy. According to Chavis, he likes to walk-up a Safety about 70% of the time. He chooses to get another man in the box up front to pressure opposing offenses. Doing that puts more pressure on our Secondary in terms of coverage, but maybe that philosophy is why his defenses at A&M gave up progressively more passing yards each season that he was at College Station? We better have some DB's that are really good in coverage to avoid being victimized.

https://www.saturdaydownsouth.com/tamu-football/film-study-chavis-game-changer-epic-proportions/

https://www.sbnation.com/college-football/2014/5/15/5709380/lsu-defense-john-chavis-spread-offenses

"We want to be a defense that gets an extra man in the box to make it tougher on the offense. We'll rock one of the two safeties down 70% of the time. We are a gap control defense."

https://www.goodbullhunting.com/2015/1/8/7500641/the-john-chavis-impact-fixing-the-aggie-defense
Go Hogs Go!

Dominicanhog

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on March 17, 2018, 05:50:47 am
These are the links that I provided in the thread I posted about getting to know Chavis' defensive philosophy. According to Chavis, he likes to walk-up a Safety about 70% of the time. He chooses to get another man in the box up front to pressure opposing offenses. Doing that puts more pressure on our Secondary in terms of coverage, but maybe that philosophy is why his defenses at A&M gave up progressively more passing yards each season that he was at College Station? We better have some DB's that are really good in coverage to avoid being victimized.

https://www.saturdaydownsouth.com/tamu-football/film-study-chavis-game-changer-epic-proportions/

https://www.sbnation.com/college-football/2014/5/15/5709380/lsu-defense-john-chavis-spread-offenses

"We want to be a defense that gets an extra man in the box to make it tougher on the offense. We'll rock one of the two safeties down 70% of the time. We are a gap control defense."

https://www.goodbullhunting.com/2015/1/8/7500641/the-john-chavis-impact-fixing-the-aggie-defense

seems similar to the BP era with Jericho Nelson types, Hybrids that stay around the LOS and blitz as well as drop in medium coverage.. tweeners, which we've recruited in the past, BB wanted bigger LB's at all spots....

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: Dominicanhog on March 17, 2018, 05:45:41 pm
seems similar to the BP era with Jericho Nelson types, Hybrids that stay around the LOS and blitz as well as drop in medium coverage.. tweeners, which we've recruited in the past, BB wanted bigger LB's at all spots....

In all fairness, I think I have read many on here over the years say that we needed "bigger, SEC size LB's" and we started to get those, but when you go for size you sometimes sacrifice some speed. I like bigger, stronger LB's too, but as we have all learned, you can't do without speed and quickness. That's one of the things that made Martrell Spaight such a dangerous and effective player. Not one of the taller LB's at 6-0, but he packs 243 lbs. of punch into that frame while maintaining his quickness and speed. But a part of what makes him effective and allows him to play faster is being dedicated to knowing the scheme he plays and film study. Right now we could use at least 22 players on defense with his ability and attitude on and off the field. Hopefully, that is what we will have.

Offensively, I think we are going to be better and certainly more explosive. Comparing us to Auburn, they haven't had anymore NFL level talent than we have on either side of the ball. Looking at it from the standpoint of cumulative talent on the team at any given time (rolling 5 year periods) you can see that there isn't any reason that we shouldn't be competitive with them.

Team     5 Year Period       Off NFL Draftees    Def NFL Draftees     Total NFL Draftees
ARK        2012-2016                  14                        7                          21
ARK        2011-2015                  16                        6                          22
ARK        2010-2014                  14                        6                          20
ARK        2009-2013                  14                        2                          16
ARK        2008-2012                  12                        1                          13
ARK        2007-2011                  13                        2                          15
ARK        2006-2010                  11                        4                          15

Team     5 Year Period       Off NFL Draftees    Def NFL Draftees     Total NFL Draftees
AUB        2012-2016                   8                         9                          17
AUB        2011-2015                   9                         5                          14
AUB        2010-2014                   9                         6                          15
AUB        2009-2013                   7                         5                          12
AUB        2008-2012                   4                         7                          11
AUB        2007-2011                   5                        10                          15
AUB        2006-2010                   7                        12                          19

I believe that the Morris offensive scheme is going to give us a better shot at more wins, but what I would like to see is an increase in NFL quality defensive talent so that we have at least as many NFL players on defense, as we have tended to have on offense. It has been a long time since we have seen that situation at Arkansas on a year to year basis.
Go Hogs Go!

IronHog

Quote from: Dominicanhog on March 17, 2018, 05:45:41 pm

Arkansas must play a defense that uses hybrid/tweener body types to be successful

There simply aren't enough real linebackers out there to expect anything different
Iron sharpens iron, So one man sharpens another.

AlmaHog2011

Kelly IMO will be the QB. He's got the arm and he's accurate he hit well covered Wrs right in the gut last year and had many drops. He can move well enough and if he drops 15-20 lbs he will be a little quicker. Just don't see anyone beating him out including Ty. I do think if Connor Noland was playing just football he would be the QB this time next year.

Kelly has big upside way more than he's given credit for on here.

AlmaHog2011

Quote from: IronHog on March 18, 2018, 09:17:10 am

Arkansas must play a defense that uses hybrid/tweener body types to be successful

There simply aren't enough real linebackers out there to expect anything different

I get what you are saying. But if we win more and we will we will be able to recruit true linebackers. Maybe just sign some more Spaights or Caver's or Millers would be great if you ask me. Winning would open up some recruiting in Texas and Lousiana.

IronHog

Quote from: AlmaHog2011 on March 18, 2018, 09:30:20 am
I get what you are saying. But if we win more and we will we will be able to recruit true linebackers. Maybe just sign some more Spaights or Caver's or Millers would be great if you ask me. Winning would open up some recruiting in Texas and Lousiana.

Texas schools don't have LSU or Bama linebackers.  Very few schools do....

But take a guy like Greenlaw.....safety in HS.  Previous staff bulks him to play linebacker.  He makes lots of tackles but usually downfield....

Makes more sense to play him at a lighter weight in a hybrid position

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: IronHog on March 18, 2018, 09:51:03 am

But take a guy like Greenlaw.....safety in HS.  Previous staff bulks him to play linebacker.  He makes lots of tackles but usually downfield....

We appear to be far more in the hunt for Safeties than for ILB's or OLB's in 2019, so you may be right. But you can find more highly rated Safeties in Texas than you can LB's.
Go Hogs Go!

IronHog

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on March 18, 2018, 10:41:52 am
We appear to be far more in the hunt for Safeties than for ILB's or OLB's in 2019, so you may be right. But you can find more highly rated Safeties in Texas than you can LB's.

DBs and pass rushers should be plentiful in Texas.  What little defense they play is pass based 

Porkys Revenge

Quote from: IronHog on March 18, 2018, 09:51:03 am

Had the previous staff been lucky enough to land Devin White, he would've ended up at fullback here.

And I'm not even kidding.

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: Porkys Revenge on March 18, 2018, 11:34:30 am
Had the previous staff been lucky enough to land Devin White, he would've ended up at fullback here.

And I'm not even kidding.

I'll disagree. The previous staff wanted him to play LB. LSU wanted him to play LB but they gave him a chance to show what he could do at RB first. But it was a foregone conclusion to everyone but Devin White that he was going to be an SEC LB. Our staff was just up-front with him.
Go Hogs Go!

Porkys Revenge

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on March 18, 2018, 11:37:31 am
I'll disagree. The previous staff wanted him to play LB. LSU wanted him to play LB but they gave him a chance to show what he could do at RB first. But it was a foregone conclusion to everyone but Devin White that he was going to be an SEC LB. Our staff was just up-front with him.
Then why was he learning about our offensive scheme on his official visit?

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&cd=16&ved=2ahUKEwjHgqTxrvbZAhUR9WMKHWZQBUMQFjAPegQICBAB&url=http%3A%2F%2Fm.arkansasonline.com%2Fnews%2F2015%2Fdec%2F06%2Fdevin-white-visit-update%2F&usg=AOvVaw3vD6BVMHBYXVGRo2Mr85au

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: Porkys Revenge on March 18, 2018, 12:30:36 pm
Then why was he learning about our offensive scheme on his official visit?

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&cd=16&ved=2ahUKEwjHgqTxrvbZAhUR9WMKHWZQBUMQFjAPegQICBAB&url=http%3A%2F%2Fm.arkansasonline.com%2Fnews%2F2015%2Fdec%2F06%2Fdevin-white-visit-update%2F&usg=AOvVaw3vD6BVMHBYXVGRo2Mr85au

Maybe I am wrong? I thought at the time that our staff was telling him that he needed to play LB, but I have slept since then. In the end he chose the team that had been more successful but they did want him to play LB, though they agreed to give him his shot at RB. Just read what you quoted..."playing time" was key part of his decision. I'm sure that during or after the experiment at RB LSU told him..."want to see the field sooner than later? Then play LB".

I just don't believe that he would have remained at RB even at Arkansas, but I guess we will never know. I believe that LB was always a forgone conclusion for the young man.
Go Hogs Go!