Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Who is Responsible for Arkansas' Demise in Football?

Started by moses_007, October 14, 2017, 11:42:33 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

If you were to blame someone, who would you blame?

Jeff Long... for hiring John L. Smith and Bret Bielema
92 (37.1%)
Bret Bielema... the coach that can't seemingly win a conference game.
52 (21%)
Bobby Petrino... had everything going until he ran the program into the ditch.
37 (14.9%)
Houston Nutt... good motivator but was just so-so in W's and L's.
2 (0.8%)
Frank Broyles... who got us in the SEC in the first place.
23 (9.3%)
Nolan Richardson...
3 (1.2%)
All of these AD's and coaches..........
17 (6.9%)
It's Frito Pie's fault.........
22 (8.9%)

Total Members Voted: 245

moses_007

Roaringboar

Let's all get aboard the LANE TRAIN BABY!!!! CHOOO-CHOOO!!!

moses_007

Quote from: Roaringboar on October 14, 2017, 11:43:29 pm
It was that dang Frito pie that gave everyone the s&*#@......
Must have been some terrible stuff.

SugarHillGaHog

Quote from: moses_007 on October 14, 2017, 11:42:33 pm
What say ye?

I vote none of the above.  They all had their ups and downs.  I'm not putting it on any one's shoulder.  It is what it is.

Dark Helmet Hog

leroyhawg

God Loves a Working man, dont trust Whitey and darn from Shinola. Navin

Navin Johnson

moses_007

Quote from: Dark Helmet Hog on October 14, 2017, 11:50:15 pm
No White and no Frito pie?
Sorry about that.

I voted for JFB since he's the one that got us in this conference in the first place.  He told a reporter he jumped to the SEC so he could play Georgia.  I'd guess he didn't realize that we'd only play Georgia about every 6-7 years.

Paragould Bulldog

moses_007

Malvin

Long, he isn't committed to winning and even stated so himself.  Bret may be a good coach if he had a AD that wanted to win.  We will never know because Bret will be fired and Long will bring in another coach which he will then handcuff.

moses_007

Quote from: Malvin on October 14, 2017, 11:59:44 pm
Long, he isn't committed to winning and even stated so himself.  Bret may be a good coach if he had a AD that wanted to win.  We will never know because Bret will be fired and Long will bring in another coach which he will then handcuff.
Well if the boss isn't committed to winning, then the coach doesn't care, then the players quit caring.

go hogues

You could write a book about it. Lots of little things that add up to big things.
Quote from: Leadbelly on September 24, 2019, 09:05:22 pm<br />Dude, our back has been against the wall so long, we are now on the other side of the wall!<br />

hogsmash12

I'd read that book.  In fact I think a college class should be taught about the rise and fall of Razorback football.

moses_007

Quote from: hogsmash12 on October 15, 2017, 12:24:01 am
I'd read that book.  In fact I think a college class should be taught about the rise and fall of Razorback football.
Is it called "The SEC's Ugly Sister"    ???

EulessHog

Long should not be allowed to choose the next coach.
Go Hogs Go!

kp72204

moses_007

Quote from: kp72204 on October 15, 2017, 12:33:36 am
Whoever let Bear Bryant leave.

You mean, whoever let Bear Bryant go to Alabama instead of hiring him as our coach?

I'd guess that was Barnhill.

pigture perfect

I voted Brett. It's all about recruiting and hiring your assistants.
The 2 biggest fools in the world: He who has an answer for everything and he who argues with him.  - original.<br /> <br />The first thing I'm going to ask a lawyer (when I might need one) is, "You don't post on Hogville do you?"

OneTuskOverTheLine™

Quote from: capehog on March 12, 2010...
My ex wife had a pet monkey I used to play with. That was one of the few things I liked about her

quote from: golf2day on June 19, 2014....
I'm disgusted, but kinda excited. Now I'm disgusted that I'm excited.

moses_007

PigPusher

October 15, 2017, 12:53:43 am #21 Last Edit: October 15, 2017, 01:16:39 am by PigPusher
You guys that think Long is responsible are thinking in the present tense. I'm very much afraid it was Mr. Broyles with his management style. It really began a long long time before Mr. Long's tenure. Remember Coach Hatfield? He was one of our best and finally left in the dead of night because he was sick of the way he was being treated by management. Anyone that would dispute that has not been alive long enough.

Coach Broyles, though, was one heck of a talent for gathering outstanding assistants around him. Use to go down to practice after classes and watched Coach Broyles leadership style over many many afternoons. He was a great one to set back and allow the assistants to do their job.  It was a ton of fun being a part of the insurgence of the Razorback brand in the Sixties. You hit 1964 and the state of Arkansas fans were literally besides themselves with Razorback fire. Coach Broyles gets the bulk of the credit for that happening. 
A loyal and proud Hogville Hog since 07-01-2003 "pushing" our hogs: And a loyal Razorback fan since 1954.

moses_007

Quote from: PigPusher on October 15, 2017, 12:53:43 am
You guys that think Long is responsible are thinking in the present tense. I'm very much afraid it was Mr. Broyles with his management style. It really began a long long time before Mr. Long's tenure. Remember Coach Hatfield? He was one of our best and finally left in the dead of night because he was sick of the way he was being treated by management. Anyone that would dispute that has not been alive long enough.
Broyles ran off a number of great coaches he had hired... Hatfield, Holtz, Ford and even Eddie Sutton.

moses_007

Right now it appears Jeff Long will shoulder most of the blame.  You guys aren't seeming to blame Bielema, which I find most interesting since some 90 percent of folks here are calling for his firing.

holeinthewall

If you look at the history of the program there is no demise it is the same as always. Broyles had 7 seasons where he won 6 games or fewer.  The all time winning % is 59%.  That is 7.5 wins per season.

nwahogfan1

For those who think it is Long's fault I want to know what they thought of Long's decision to hire both Smith and Beliema when they were hired?   I though both were good hires myself.   Smith for one year to patch up a bad, bad situation and for hiring Beliema who had won lots of games in the Big 10 and gave us stability in our program.  Of coarse looking back I do not think that way.  That is the easy part.    All of us are great Monday morning play callers. 

If CBB doesn't get the ship turned around then we should go another direction but why blame Long.

HardCore

Quote from: moses_007 on October 15, 2017, 05:10:28 am
Right now it appears Jeff Long will shoulder most of the blame.  You guys aren't seeming to blame Bielema, which I find most interesting since some 90 percent of folks here are calling for his firing.

I would literally accept one more season of Bielema to see Long hit the road this year.  I want an Arkansan or a U of A Alumni in that position.  NE is a better fit for Long anyway.
Beware the lollipop of mediocrity; lick it once and you'll suck forever....Brian Wilson (Beach Boys)

Pork Twain

JFB for moving to the SEC, Bobby P for Harleygate, and Brett for the current results.  I really thought he had us on track.
"It is better to be an optimist and proven wrong, than a pessimist and proven right." ~Pork Twain

https://www.facebook.com/groups/sweetmemes/

moses_007

Quote from: Pork Twain on October 15, 2017, 05:39:48 am
JFB for moving to the SEC, Bobby P for Harleygate, and Brett for the current results.  I really thought he had us on track.
Great insight.  Thanks for your post from Kabul.

Torqued pork

Broyles wanted Tuberville.  John White gave us Nutt.

Broyles wanted Bill Self. John White gave us Stan Heath.

Steef

I don't usually participate in polls, because they normally show obvious bias by the nature of the questions.

This is a pretty good one, though.

I'm surprised there havent been more votes for "all". With the exception of 2 out of the ordinary years under Bobby, the Hogs haven't been relevant since the late 70s.

Long didnt do 'all' of that. Bielems didnt do 'all' of it, either.

Nutt contributed to our backsliding. So did Frank. As did White.

And even Bobby ultimately hurt us.

We havent had excellence in a while. And when we did, we fired them. (Holtz & Richardson...not Petrino)

grassroothog

Quote from: Pork Twain on October 15, 2017, 05:39:48 am

HOGINTENNESSEE

HognotinMemphis

Broyles got us in SEC, where the program has a losing record over 25 years. It was a financial decision. He knew we could not compete.
I don't want you to agree with me because you're weak. I want you to agree with me because you know I'm right.

moses_007

Quote from: Torqued pork on October 15, 2017, 06:06:14 am
Broyles wanted Tuberville.  John White gave us Nutt.

Broyles wanted Bill Self. John White gave us Stan Heath.
John White also picked Pelphrey too, didn't he?

HognotinMemphis

Interesting that the 2 programs that joined the SEC 25 yrs ago both have losing SEC records over that quarter century. SC probably has a losing SEC record in basketball too. They would have done better to join the ACC...they play Clemson every year anyway.
I don't want you to agree with me because you're weak. I want you to agree with me because you know I'm right.

Kevin

jeff long. cause we are not going to do what it takes to win. not saying cheating. just go look at all the support people bama has on its football staff.

I think they have 15 analyst compared to our 4.

stuff like that matters
Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you.<br />James 4:7
Reject Every Kind Of Evil 1 Thessalonians 5:22

Steef

I think there are a lot of young people voting in this poll.

Pork Twain

October 15, 2017, 09:38:33 am #39 Last Edit: October 15, 2017, 09:53:32 am by Pork Twain
Quote from: moses_007 on October 15, 2017, 06:02:04 am
Great insight.  Thanks for your post from Kabul.
With something like this it is really hard to point to one person or one event that set it all in motion. 

What if we hadn't moved to the SEC?  Could we have won like Oklahomo and Nebraska, if we would have stayed with the Texass talent?

What if JFB had not run off a couple of great coaches and then later fell in love with an awful one?

What if Clint had not Fumbled?

What if HDN had continued to let Gus call the plays?

What if Bobby P had not wrecked his bike?

What if Bobby would have been honest from the beginning and Long had just put restrictions in place?

What if the wreck happened at a different time of the year when there were coaches actually looking for a job and not just some lame duck, that was just keeping the seat warm?

What if Pittman had stayed here and actually recruited some offensive linemen?

What if CBB had just kept his mouth shut and made sure this team was ready each and every game and that the most important positions were always filled in recruiting?

What if we wore black uniforms?

What if all of our home games were actually played at home?

I do not blame Jeff Long in this and I hope we do not lose him.  I was shocked when I thought he stole a really good coach from Wisky and other than the extension, I have not been unhappy with any move he has in either coaches or facilities.  We could do a LOT worse and I am afraid some fans that want X, Y and Z fired every single year, will get their wish and we will learn what it really feels like to suck.
"It is better to be an optimist and proven wrong, than a pessimist and proven right." ~Pork Twain

https://www.facebook.com/groups/sweetmemes/

Hogwild

QuoteI do not blame Jeff Long in this and I hope we do not lose him

That is where we disagree.  He seems like a nice guy and is good at raising money, but he isn't a winner.  Wasn't a winner at Pitt, hasn't been a winner here.
Ten years ago we entered a new era, Frank and Nutt departed and Jeff Long assumed control.

Since then 3 head coaches, about to have our 4th head coach in 11 years, and they have a combine conference record of 29-46, worst in the division. The SEC is down and we are at the bottom of it.

There isn't even light at the end of the tunnel, does anyone think that over the next 4 years our ceiling is anything higher than the Liberty Bowl?  That based on our current administration, leadership, coaching, recruiting, roster.

rzrbackramsfan

On these hires, hindsight is 20/20 but for the majority of the people that say his hires were the freaking downfall of razorback football, show me where you said at the time of the hirings that it was a bad hire.

DeltaBoy

Quote from: moses_007 on October 14, 2017, 11:42:33 pm
What say ye?

Got to go back to John BOY White who hire Nutt when Frank wanted Tommy Tuberville!
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

S&W

Quote from: Pork Twain on October 15, 2017, 09:38:33 am
With something like this it is really hard to point to one person or one event that set it all in motion. 

What if we hadn't moved to the SEC?  Could we have won like Oklahomo and Nebraska, if we would have stayed with the Texass talent?

What if JFB had not run off a couple of great coaches and then later fell in love with an awful one?

What if Clint had not Fumbled?

What if HDN had continued to let Gus call the plays?

What if Bobby P had not wrecked his bike?

What if Bobby would have been honest from the beginning and Long had just put restrictions in place?

What if the wreck happened at a different time of the year when there were coaches actually looking for a job and not just some lame duck, that was just keeping the seat warm?

What if Pittman had stayed here and actually recruited some offensive linemen?

A few more what ifs.

What if Jack Mildren signs with us instead of OU?

What if Frank retires in 73 and hires Switzer?

What if Frank Hires Jimmy instead of Lou?

What if Frank Hires Jimmy instead of Kenny?

What if we joined the SEC with a better coach than Crowe?

What if Crowe isn't fired until seasons end and Kines wasn't promoted?

I would say every what if lead us to where we are today.

Hoggish1

The first game I attended was in 1997 when I became a fan.  When I saw that banner in the South end zone along the fence that read 1964 National Champions, I knew Razorback football was about the past, not the present or the future.

There probably was only one man responsible for that banner.  You can't enshrine yourself.

RebelliousHog

I said Long. He had no plan when he fired BP. Not saying BP shouldn't have been, but if you fire a coach you need a viable option and JLS wasn't it.

BB is one of those "looks good on paper" things. Unfortunately "looks good on paper" is a crap-shoot. Especially in the SEC.

"Some there are who are nothing else than a passage for food and augmenters of excrement and fillers of privies, because through them no other things in the world, nor any good effects are produced, since nothing but full privies results from them."<br />―Leonardo da Vinci

Con el Cerdos

Quote from: holeinthewall on October 15, 2017, 05:24:42 am
If you look at the history of the program there is no demise it is the same as always. Broyles had 7 seasons where he won 6 games or fewer.  The all time winning % is 59%.  That is 7.5 wins per season.

What you rationalize away with you analysis is 1 national championship and 7 SWCC.  Along with 4 ten-plus win seasons and numerous 8 and 9 win seasons at a time when the regular season had only 11 games.

OneTuskOverTheLine™

I blame Bobby P for stomping a mud-hole in our hearts and this 1 embarrassing photo...
Quote from: capehog on March 12, 2010...
My ex wife had a pet monkey I used to play with. That was one of the few things I liked about her

quote from: golf2day on June 19, 2014....
I'm disgusted, but kinda excited. Now I'm disgusted that I'm excited.

longpig

Blame Barry Alvarez, who watches Arkansas play for laughs.
Don't be scared, be smart.

moses_007

Quote from: longpig on October 15, 2017, 01:12:08 pm
Blame Barry Alvarez, who watches Arkansas play for laughs.
I'd bet he gets a good laugh everytime Bret loses.