Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Hoops at Hogville ...

Started by Kevin McPherson, July 20, 2017, 11:09:44 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Kevin McPherson

By now, many of you know that I've been posting here at Hogville under the avatar of Hogdayafternoon, that my Twitter handle is @ARHoopScoop, and that my name is Kevin McPherson. My goal has been to bring as much relevant hoops info as possible, relating to the Razorbacks, recruiting, high schools, and grassroots.

I deliver that info in a variety of ways: Twitter, Hogville, SportingLifeArkansas.com (mostly deep-dive, follow-up stuff that combines a lot of what I've already posted on here), and radio.

After meeting with Lanny Beavers today, we decided going forward that I'll be posting under my actual name while contributing as a moderator (in addition to the content that I already bring). As a moderator, I'll have more access, freedom, and the tools to enhance the hoops coverage at Hogville. I'll still be providing the content, but I'm going to explore ways to hopefully make it better. I welcome suggestions and feedback ITT or private messaging.

If you haven't figured it out yet, I'm a hoops junkie. I love football, too, but there are plenty of folks devoting a lot of time and resources in covering that sport. And rightfully so. But I got back into sportswriting & analysis less than a year ago with a lazer-focus on putting the light on Arkansas hoops, trying to give it the attention that I believe it deserves. Though I won't bore you with my various stops and experiences as a sportswriter and editor, I can tell you I've covered the Hogs, recruiting, high school, and grassroots in one form or another going back almost 30 years ... so I have a background in the reporting part of it.

But my real experience comes from my love for the game and the time I've invested to learn it and soak it up. I spent a great part of my life grinding on basketball courts (mostly as a playground hack), but also as a student of the game who couldn't get enough of local HS games; local, regional, and national AAU/grassroots events; college games; and pro games -- for years as a fan before I ever knew I'd cover games as a journalist. That same passion drives me today, and though I'm too old and injured to play, I love covering practices, workouts, games, and events that impact and tell the story of hoops. I try to hit as much of it as I can, family schedules and resources permitting.

Okay, that's my story. News, updates, highlights, opinions, and analysis -- all related to Hog hoops, recruiting, high schools, and grassroots. That's what I plan to continue to bring, and I hope now I can do it better than ever before. Hope you'll hit me up with ideas on making this a one-and-done stop for hoops coverage.

Jim Harris

Kevin was a go-getter at basketball recruiting reporting as far back as I've known him, which was back in 1989-90 or thereabouts at the Arkansas Gazette (I was the SWC beat report for the Gazette and then moved to Fayetteville as Razorback beat reporter, staying there until the Ol' Gray Lady shut down). I watched Kevin chase Anfernee Hardaway harder than the Razorback staff did, and they chased him pretty darn hard too. Hogville will get basketball recruiting coverage like they've never gotten now that Kevin is on board here (and I'm glad you've ditched the moniker for your actual name!).

Well done, Lanny, in bringing aboard a guy with newspaper reporter bona fides from way back, before he got a real job, and who does this because he loves it. This is great news!
"We've been trying to build a program on a 7-8 win per season business model .... We upgraded the Business Model." -- John Tyson

Razorhogger

I have enjoyed all of the basketball coverage.  I also am a basketball junkie who craves anything Razorback hoops related.  Keep bringing it.

Thank You!

NWAHog479

Thank you Larry for allowing Kevin to move into this role and thank you Kevin for all of the solid coverage that you provide to diehard Hog hoop fans. Before I started following your content, there was a huge gap in the day to day coverage of Hog hoops (no offense to anybody else).