Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

SEC Country-On Randy Ramsey, Maleek Williams, the Defensive install, etc.

Started by MuskogeeHogFan, April 23, 2017, 05:57:12 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

MuskogeeHogFan

Arkansas Junior Randy Ramsey is a team leader and and he's even surprised...according to SEC Country's Jason Kersey.

New Arkansas Razorbacks outside linebackers coach Chad Walker has only been on the job a couple of months, so there is still plenty to learn about his players. But there's one thing Walker was emphatic about during his session with reporters last week. "Randy Ramsey is No. 1 in terms of standing out," Walker said. "He's been the most consistent every single day. His game has ascended every day right now. He really brings a great competitiveness and toughness to the room."

On Maleek Williams at RB:

It looks more and more like Maleek Williams' decision to enroll early was worth it. Running backs coach Reggie Mitchell said a few weeks ago that Williams was going to force coaches to play him. This week, Mitchell was asked about running back depth. "You know what, you'd like to have four guys," he said. "You're probably going to play three. But you'd like to have four so if something happens you can get a guy in there. So you get four game ready, with three guys who will go."

On the 3-4 Defensive installation:

Here is defensive coordinator Paul Rhoads discussing the ongoing installation of his new 3-4 scheme on Thursday: "I think pleased is a fair word. I think that's accurate. I don't think you're ever satisfied and I'm not satisfied right now. The two practices this week, both of them could have been better. When you add some wrinkles, you create some thinking and we've probably created some thinking today. So the onus of that lowered expectation falls to my shoulders. Saturday will be better because we'll understand it better. Hopefully every practice from here on out will be positive growth."

On the back-up QB competition:

"It's been nip and tuck," Enos said. "I think the best thing that's happened to Ty Storey is that Cole Kelley is there pushing him. The best thing for Cole Kelley right now is Ty Storey's pushing him. Competition makes everybody better."

https://www.seccountry.com/arkansas/arkansas-spring-football-randy-ramsey
Go Hogs Go!

hogcard1964

Excellent read.

I'm looking forward to the running game.  I think this will be our best crew since 07.

oldfart

im so happy to see the progress of Ramsey..  apparently he put forth tremendous effort to be reinstated on the team.. would certainly help  the defense for someone to step forth as a vocal and on-the-field leader.. maybe Ramsey is the guy to do that

HamSammich

Muskee... I think I said on another thread when your twin bennyhate did a 3 page block of text that Ramsey will be a STAR....

Book it.

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: HamSammich on April 23, 2017, 08:00:30 pm
Muskee... I think I said on another thread when your twin bennyhate did a 3 page block of text that Ramsey will be a STAR....

Book it.

Ramsey has always had the potential. 
Go Hogs Go!

FANONTHEHILL

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on April 24, 2017, 05:24:36 am

Ramsey is a special athlete for sure.  I do believe that there will be growing pains with the defense and scheme, but I have always said and always will say that the biggest difference will will see this fall is going to be a higher level of sound tackling, sound assignments, and effort.  As I said, there will be a learning curve, but these guys are totally committed to Paul Rhodes and that wasn't the case with the D.C. Last year.
Favorite quote from practice.  Made to my son:<br /><br /><br />Technique is nice, but it comes down to this.  Block the F'er in front of you. - Sam Pittman 2015

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: FANONTHEHILL on April 24, 2017, 08:50:42 am
Ramsey is a special athlete for sure.  I do believe that there will be growing pains with the defense and scheme, but I have always said and always will say that the biggest difference will will see this fall is going to be a higher level of sound tackling, sound assignments, and effort.  As I said, there will be a learning curve, but these guys are totally committed to Paul Rhodes and that wasn't the case with the D.C. Last year.

Good and sound words and, give them a little success with this scheme against their first and second P-5 opponents (TCU & A&M) and I think you will see them really ramp it up in terms of playing with great confidence in this scheme. I think how the defense performs in those two games may dictate how good they can be in 2017.
Go Hogs Go!

PORKULATOR

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on April 24, 2017, 05:24:36 am
I hope he throws the switch like Martell Spaight. Tools + effort + experience SHOULD = good stuff for the HOGS.
Everytime I reach a goal or achieve something new in life, someone's beat me there and wrote f♡€% you all over it - JD Salinger
I've got a fever and the only perscription...  is more cowbell.- THE Bruce Dickenson.

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: PORKULATOR on April 25, 2017, 04:29:36 pm
I hope he throws the switch like Martell Spaight. Tools + effort + experience SHOULD = good stuff for the HOGS.

I hope Ramsey does that too, but I actually think that we have several players on the defensive side of the ball that are right on the bubble of being able to do the exact same thing. While I know that these kids already have a very busy schedule between football, classes, tutoring, study periods, meetings etc., I sure hope that more and more of them listen to stories of Spaight's dedication to studying film (and what that did for him) and make the effort to take advantage of that as they develop as players.
Go Hogs Go!