Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Bielema post practice PC

Started by ricepig, April 22, 2017, 01:34:14 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

hawginbigd1

So  Bell is going back to defensive side, sounds like a good move with the depth at TE.

rhames

Ohhhh Bret don't ever change

In reference to petition question
"I'm too drunk to taste this chicken"

"Can we get some waffles after we get some ass?" - Aunt Tiffany Freeman

Quote from: Hamdsome 1 on September 05, 2023, 06:43:26 pmSTHU. I get in more steps per day, at work, than you could possibly fathom.
The only down time my legs see is when seated in 1st Class.

HOGINTENNESSEE

Bell to Hog is a great move IMO. Kind of surprised it did happen sooner. Best Ath we can put at that spot.

Michael Taylor not working out at Hog is a negative IMO. In previous pressers prior to Spring CBB really thought that would be his best position. We also lack depth there IMO. Hopefully, he can make an impact at DE

870rzrback

Wish Bell would have gotten more time at the hog this spring but glad he is there now. Not real sure about Taylor back at end. Would prefer to see him at the hog and Roesler at end. Excited about Ramsey though hopefully he will be a big time playmaker this year. Really think this could be one of the better linebacker groups we have had in a long time

RebelW

Quote from: 870rzrback on April 22, 2017, 03:15:44 pm
Wish Bell would have gotten more time at the hog this spring but glad he is there now. Not real sure about Taylor back at end. Would prefer to see him at the hog and Roesler at end. Excited about Ramsey though hopefully he will be a big time playmaker this year. Really think this could be one of the better linebacker groups we have had in a long time
Yeah I hate Bell missed out on the last few weeks at that position. It's winding down, and almost game time. To bad he only had all summer and then fall camp

hawginbigd1

Based on everything I have read since his arrival and the first 2 weeks of spring, the Taylor move to DE is a shock to me. I just thought he was the prototype for that hybrid DE/LB spot. I just don't see the speed and athleticism from Roesler to play in space, may be the reason Bell is moving.

presidenthog

Quote from: hawginbigd1 on April 22, 2017, 01:49:27 pm
So  Bell is going back to defensive side, sounds like a good move with the depth at TE.

Him moving to TE was a terrible move in the first place. Lots of us said this. Now he moves back and has his best practice. Well....

King Kong

Quote from: presidenthog on April 22, 2017, 05:01:07 pm
Him moving to TE was a terrible move in the first place. Lots of us said this. Now he moves back and has his best practice. Well....

Well, he had his best practice as at a Position that didn't exist last year.

presidenthog

Quote from: King Kong on April 22, 2017, 05:20:27 pm
Well, he had his best practice as at a Position that didn't exist last year.

Because he wasn't ever going to start at TE and it probably lifted his spirits.

PorkRinds

Quote from: presidenthog on April 22, 2017, 05:23:24 pm

Or it could be the opposite and he wanted to play TE and the coaches were giving him every chance to compete there. Never know how these things are  playing out behind the scenes.

lumphog

I VOTE....."YOU"   for coach

Vantage 8 dude

Quote from: lumphog on April 22, 2017, 07:42:12 pm
I VOTE....."YOU"   for coach
Yeah, some folks seem to have all the answers.

lakecityhog

How dare a fan question a coach, we all know coaches are infallible!

factchecker

Quote from: presidenthog on April 22, 2017, 05:23:24 pm

Bell didn't want to move to defense:

http://www.wholehogsports.com/news/2017/apr/22/red-white-game-be-ones-against-world/

QuoteBell has bounced from defensive end to linebacker to tight end and now back to linebacker.
"Put him at our outside linebacker, the Hog position," Bielema said. "He kind of looked at me at first, wasn't all that excited. Talked to him and mom. And he made the transition, probably as good a practice on Thursday as he's had in his career here. Just really excited about that move."
WORK FOR IT
PLAN ON IT
EARN IT
OMAHOGS

factchecker

Quote from: BigoBoys on April 22, 2017, 10:32:21 pm
What did Bell say? 

Quotehttp://www.wholehogsports.com/news/2017/apr/22/red-white-game-be-ones-against-world/

QuoteBell has bounced from defensive end to linebacker to tight end and now back to linebacker.
"Put him at our outside linebacker, the Hog position," Bielema said. "He kind of looked at me at first, wasn't all that excited. Talked to him and mom. And he made the transition, probably as good a practice on Thursday as he's had in his career here. Just really excited about that move."

Quote"He kind of looked at me at first, wasn't all that excited.

Quotewasn't all that excited.

That is the only thing that is being shown for Bell's feelings toward the switch.  It's been said numerous times by our entire coaching staff that Bell wasn't aggressive enough or didn't want to play defense.
WORK FOR IT
PLAN ON IT
EARN IT
OMAHOGS

BigoBoys

But no quote from Bell himself? 

factchecker

Quote from: BigoBoys on April 22, 2017, 11:04:10 pm

You want me to read his mind?

What do you think the statement
Quote"He kind of looked at me at first, wasn't all that excited"
meant?

You think the entire coaching staff is lying?

Are you that anti-Bielema that you think a coach would bury a player at a stacked position (tight end) without there being a solid reason?

Why do you think Bielema would talk to Jamario's mom?
WORK FOR IT
PLAN ON IT
EARN IT
OMAHOGS

factchecker

Here is a quote for you:

QuoteIt's better, Bell said, to be behind at the right spot then another year spent at maybe the wrong spot. For when he played both offense and defense for Junction City Coach David Carpenter, Bell said he most enjoyed offense.

"I really feel like I am back where I belong playing tight end," Bell said.  "I really wanted to play tight end here the whole time but they asked me to play defense and I did whatever they tell me, which was play defense. But I really like tight end."

http://www.eldoradonews.com/news/2016/aug/13/bell-enthusiastic-about-move-tight-end/
WORK FOR IT
PLAN ON IT
EARN IT
OMAHOGS

factchecker

"Dat damn berlema forced Bell to maked dem damn statements about wuntin to play tight end.  Dat damn berlema forced his high school coach to lie about Bell liking offense better.  Spit."

Gotta love our idiotic hogville "fans".
WORK FOR IT
PLAN ON IT
EARN IT
OMAHOGS

factchecker

You got a reply for this quote?

Quote"I really feel like I am back where I belong playing tight end," Bell said.  "I really wanted to play tight end here the whole time but they asked me to play defense and I did whatever they tell me, which was play defense. But I really like tight end."

Waiting for your intelligent response.
WORK FOR IT
PLAN ON IT
EARN IT
OMAHOGS

factchecker

WORK FOR IT
PLAN ON IT
EARN IT
OMAHOGS

factchecker

April 22, 2017, 11:18:51 pm #23 Last Edit: April 22, 2017, 11:34:54 pm by factchecker
"Ya got a quote from Bell"

Yes, I do:

Quote"I really feel like I am back where I belong playing tight end," Bell said.  "I really wanted to play tight end here the whole time but they asked me to play defense and I did whatever they tell me, which was play defense. But I really like tight end.
WORK FOR IT
PLAN ON IT
EARN IT
OMAHOGS

BigoBoys

Quote from: factchecker on April 22, 2017, 11:16:43 pm

Wow, just asked a question. 

factchecker

WORK FOR IT
PLAN ON IT
EARN IT
OMAHOGS

factchecker

Quote from: BigoBoys on April 22, 2017, 11:20:15 pm

You repeated an idiotic question when countless times it's been said that BELL WANTED TO PLAY OFFENSE.

The article I quoted was from August in 2016.

How anyone says they are a fan of the team and doesn't remember when BELL SAID HE WANTED TO PLAY OFFENSE..... I don't know.

Screw dat damn berlema for trying to let a kid play where he wants.
WORK FOR IT
PLAN ON IT
EARN IT
OMAHOGS

BigoBoys

April 22, 2017, 11:26:26 pm #27 Last Edit: April 22, 2017, 11:41:18 pm by BigoBoys
Quote from: factchecker on April 22, 2017, 11:16:43 pm

Quote from: factchecker on April 22, 2017, 11:21:51 pm
You repeated an idiotic question when countless times it's been said that BELL WANTED TO PLAY OFFENSE.

The article I quoted was from August in 2016.

How anyone says they are a fan of the team and doesn't remember when BELL SAID HE WANTED TO PLAY OFFENSE..... I don't know.

Screw dat damn berlema for trying to let a kid play where he wants.
You don't have a clue what level of fan I am, I was simply asking a question.  Looking for a current quote.

factchecker

Hate Bielema all you want but he tries to let the players play the position they were recruited for or where they want to play.

He let Derby stay at quarterback until he finally moved him to tight end.

He let Duwop stay on offense although he is better suited for defense.  Duwop is still playing receiver at Rutgers.

He let Kendrick Jackson move back to linebacker before moving him back to where he belongs (fullback).

He let TJ play runningback before moving him to receiver.

He let Mitch Loewen play tight end before moving him to defensive end.

When/IF a player finally buys in and plays the position they are better suited for things work out- prime example:

WORK FOR IT
PLAN ON IT
EARN IT
OMAHOGS

factchecker

April 22, 2017, 11:28:36 pm #29 Last Edit: April 22, 2017, 11:44:57 pm by factchecker
IF anything Bielema is too accommodating on the players.  He should be like the rest of the programs and bait and switch like LSU did with Devin White.

To think that the coaches would force a player to play at an already deep position is asinine.  We NEED defensive help.  We wanted Bell to play defense.  HE DID NOT WANT TO PLAY DEFENSE.
WORK FOR IT
PLAN ON IT
EARN IT
OMAHOGS

BigoBoys

Quote from: factchecker on April 22, 2017, 11:28:36 pm
IF anything Bielema is too accommodating on the players.  He should be like the rest of the programs and bait and switch like LSU did with Devin White.

To think that the coaches would force a player to play at an already deep position is asinine.  We NEED defensive help.  We wanted Bell to play defense.  HE DID NOT WANT TO PLAY DEFENSE.
Current quote?

factchecker

Quote from: BigoBoys on April 22, 2017, 11:54:06 pm
Current quote?

You've got be trolling now.

If you truly think that Bielema, Lunney, Jamario's high school coach, JAMARIO HIMSELF, and probably even his mom conspired to lie about him wanting to play offense/tight end then I can't cure your idiocy.
WORK FOR IT
PLAN ON IT
EARN IT
OMAHOGS

BigoBoys

You said "Bell Didn't Want to Move To Defense"  When did he say that? 

factchecker

Quote from: BigoBoys on April 23, 2017, 12:07:20 am
You said "Bell Didn't Want to Move To Defense"  When did he say that?

"I really feel like I am back where I belong playing tight end," Bell said.  "I really wanted to play tight end here the whole time but they asked me to play defense and I did whatever they tell me, which was play defense. But I really like tight end."

Bell is a good kid. He is going to try and do what the coaches wanted him to do.  He didn't come out and say "I hate defense..... I want to play offense" but the quote provided tells you that he wanted to play tight end not defense.
WORK FOR IT
PLAN ON IT
EARN IT
OMAHOGS

ricepig

The players are interviewed on Tuesday's.

FANONTHEHILL

It simply comes down to this.  The coaches tell players that if they want to help the team and want to see the field, they need them in where they need them.  Springdale HarBer's Jake Hall is a great example of this.  Wasn't seeing time at DE in the 4-3, moved to OL last spring.  Went through all the drills with the OL, but in reality, was small to play tackle. Developed a blocking skill set and as a result, was worked in at TE in the 13 package.  Was a blocking TE and did well.  They switch to the 3-4 and now he's entering his red shirt junior year in the rotation at DE.  Last season, he did what the staff wanted and what the team needed. As a result, he saw the field. 

You have to take everything with a grain of salt.  Practices are closed with the exception of the first few minutes on Tuesday and Thursday and the scrimmages for the press.  If you saw the drills in the position groups periods, the moves made this spring make sense.   

Bell is incredibly athletic, but would not surpass Cantrell, O'Grady, Kraus, or Gragg at TE.  Add Patton at the end of the month as well.

Hammonds is also a great athlete, but RW III and Whaley are proven.  Maleek Williams is a lot closer to Rawleigh and Devwah than TJ would be.

To see the field, Hammond's, Bell, and Hall all made great moves.

I have to say that Mike Taylor moving back to DE is a surprise.  He moves very well in space for 260lbs.  He had never been an OLB, and his coverage skills were raw, but he was improving every day.  On the other hand, he can take a 320lb tackle and stand them up on the line of scrimmage and pursue with LB speed.  He will definitely set strong edges when paired with Sosa on the other side.

In the Spring, the team is in the facility from 2pm to about 8pm every week day and about 5 hours every Saturday.  We have to trust that Coach Bielema, Coach's Enos and Coach Rhodes have a lot better grasp on where the kids can help the team than any of us.  That's what they recruit a certain type of player. They prefer the "US" rather than "ME" type players.

Favorite quote from practice.  Made to my son:<br /><br /><br />Technique is nice, but it comes down to this.  Block the F'er in front of you. - Sam Pittman 2015

The_Iceman

I wouldn't worry too much about the players that switch between OLB and DE. I think the coaches are just feeling out the players at the different spots. He may play there a couple days, then be right back. Looking for versatility.

FANONTHEHILL

Quote from: The_Iceman on April 23, 2017, 08:37:45 am
I wouldn't worry too much about the players that switch between OLB and DE. I think the coaches are just feeling out the players at the different spots. He may play there a couple days, then be right back. Looking for versatility.

I know they did some shuffling with the safeties as well, but Mike is pretty confident he'll stay at DE.
Favorite quote from practice.  Made to my son:<br /><br /><br />Technique is nice, but it comes down to this.  Block the F'er in front of you. - Sam Pittman 2015

daBoar

Quote from: The_Iceman on April 23, 2017, 08:37:45 am
Sounds right to me. Also if "raw" best describes his play, perhaps DE is more forgiving than OLB?

jgphillips3

Quote from: daBoar on April 23, 2017, 10:16:44 am
Sounds right to me. Also if "raw" best describes his play, perhaps DE is more forgiving than OLB?

Agreed.  One of the few telling remarks made by Rhoads about the former scheme was in regards to putting linebackers in spots where they had no hope of playing pass coverage against SEC skill.  If he was too raw in coverage, DE gives him a much better chance to contribute without being a liability.

Vantage 8 dude

Quote from: The ColonelHog on April 22, 2017, 11:04:10 pm
No, coaches are not infallible but, people who are working with these young men every day obviously know more about their abilities than anyone on this board.  It entertains me to see posters discussing where men on the team should play when they haven't spent ONE day on the practice field with them.  STOP IT!  WE ARE NOT COACHES AND HAVE NO IDEA!  STOP IT!  This isn't meant for you lake city, it's meant for the rest of these D1 coaches on HV.....
Bingo! Yep, constantly amazed at how folks who have very little if any access to the daily practices and workouts of various players automatically turn into all world coaches/talent evaluators. Let the people who actually DO make the decisions and movements wherever they think a player may be of the most effective. Geezzz...it never stops with some "fans".

Biggus Piggus

Arkansas might not be settled at the Hog LB position all season, unless somebody like Jamario Bell, Gabe Richardson or David Porter is a huge surprise in August. And those guys look just like Michael Taylor.

Arkansas had Chris Smith and Trey Flowers, quick pass rushers who could beat the left tackle and get to the QB. After them, the Hogs went two seasons without any speed rush from the blind side. Now they have three players who could fit that role, and they have switched to the 3-4 where those players are more like tweeners without a role.

Taylor was moved back to defensive end because he felt uncomfortable in a two-point stance. But I'd expect to see Richardson and Porter at linebacker not end. Taylor should be there too, but whatever.

Arkansas has everything it needs to play the 3-4 except that big, hybrid LB/end they call the Hog. Jamario Bell is back on defense to play the Hog, for now. If you went solely on promise, Bell would be the player you'd choose for this role.

Bell was moved from 4-3 defensive end because he was not physical enough. He was making strides at tight end but faced a lineup of players ahead of him. Bell might have been the only tight end on the list with the speed to play outside linebacker. And the Hog position has no waiting line. In truth, Randy Ramsey is the best player available at both outside linebacker spots.

Most of the time, Arkansas might not even have the Hog LB on the field. Most opponents will be in spread formations with at least three wide receivers. That also means Arkansas might not be punished much if it plays smaller men at one of the defensive end spots - if blockers are usually backpedaling.

Football coaches are caught between what they played and learned + what they are playing against. What does base defense even mean anymore? At Arkansas, it's required only when the Hogs have to match up against themselves.
[CENSORED]!

a0ashle

Quote from: Biggus Piggus on April 23, 2017, 12:21:19 pm
What does base defense even mean anymore?

It's what they put on the depth chart in the media packet. After that, it doesn't mean very much except for a place to start from before making changes.

hawginbigd1

Quote from: Biggus Piggus on April 23, 2017, 12:21:19 pm

Arkansas has everything it needs to play the 3-4 except that big, hybrid LB/end they call the Hog. Jamario Bell is back on defense to play the Hog, for now. If you went solely on promise, Bell would be the player you'd choose for this role.

Bell was moved from 4-3 defensive end because he was not physical enough. He was making strides at tight end but faced a lineup of players ahead of him. Bell might have been the only tight end on the list with the speed to play outside linebacker. And the Hog position has no waiting line. In truth, Randy Ramsey is the best player available at both outside linebacker spots.

This is why I believe in the end you will end up with Greenlaw at Razor and Ramsey at the Hog. We have depth that they will mix in, but I think those 2 will be your primaries at OLB. I do believe that we will play in this base more often than we have the 4-3 the last 2 years.

Biggus Piggus

Forgot to mention Karl Roesler in the Hog LB mix. Roesler might end up being the starter, too.

Coaches initially put Roesler at DE saying he was a better fit there. They might put up with his lack of speed at OLB, because Roesler is better at setting the edge than Taylor was.

Again, this is probably a less-used position anyway.
[CENSORED]!

nohuddle

Ok I usually do this every year, don't post much, but I usually come on after seeing some spring practices and give you a high school coaches take on what this team looks like to me.  Take it for what its worth, just one guys opinion. 

Hate to say this guys but I am not real impressed.  Now understand.  When you watch practice, you have no idea how it is set up.  Could be the offensives first time seeing movement from the defense, defenses first time seeing this scheme or that.... so its easy to make one side or the other look bad and us not have an understanding of the reason why that is.  That being said, Qb's look good in 1 on 1 and 7 on 7, not so good in 11 on 11.  Most of that is because it appears they have no confidence in, nor should they, the protection they are going to receive. I hinted at this last year, I see it more now... we have issues on both fronts. We are SMALL at linebacker.  Doesn't mean that can't get job done, but eventually an LB has to take on blocks... that would be a scary thing for us.  WR's appear talented, but can't get lined up.  That may be a springball install thing, or it may not be.  I know we have good RBs.  But that doesnt matter if our line hasn't improved tremendously.  Honestly, I don't see that kind of improvement. 

I hope they are better.  I am a Razorback fan and want them to be good.  From what I have seen, I don't see it.  But it is April and there's time to improve..... but I have watched all the SEC spring games on TV... and what i see compared to what I see from the Hogs is scary.   Again, one guy's take.

DeltaBoy

D is looking a bit better.
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

sowmonella

Quote from: nohuddle on April 24, 2017, 11:43:21 am
Ok I usually do this every year, don't post much, but I usually come on after seeing some spring practices and give you a high school coaches take on what this team looks like to me.  Take it for what its worth, just one guys opinion. 

Hate to say this guys but I am not real impressed.  Now understand.  When you watch practice, you have no idea how it is set up.  Could be the offensives first time seeing movement from the defense, defenses first time seeing this scheme or that.... so its easy to make one side or the other look bad and us not have an understanding of the reason why that is.  That being said, Qb's look good in 1 on 1 and 7 on 7, not so good in 11 on 11.  Most of that is because it appears they have no confidence in, nor should they, the protection they are going to receive. I hinted at this last year, I see it more now... we have issues on both fronts. We are SMALL at linebacker.  Doesn't mean that can't get job done, but eventually an LB has to take on blocks... that would be a scary thing for us.  WR's appear talented, but can't get lined up.  That may be a springball install thing, or it may not be.  I know we have good RBs.  But that doesnt matter if our line hasn't improved tremendously.  Honestly, I don't see that kind of improvement. 

I hope they are better.  I am a Razorback fan and want them to be good.  From what I have seen, I don't see it.  But it is April and there's time to improve..... but I have watched all the SEC spring games on TV... and what i see compared to what I see from the Hogs is scary.   Again, one guy's take.
How many spring practices have you seen?
Not trying to brag or make anyone jealous but I can still fit into the same pair of socks I wore in high school.
Proud member since August 2003

nohuddle

OneTuskOverTheLine™

Why do I want a Coors light sooooo bad right now.!??
Quote from: capehog on March 12, 2010...
My ex wife had a pet monkey I used to play with. That was one of the few things I liked about her

quote from: golf2day on June 19, 2014....
I'm disgusted, but kinda excited. Now I'm disgusted that I'm excited.