Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

The Best Collection of Coaches of Any NCAA Program?

Started by Youngsta71701, April 19, 2017, 10:04:17 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Youngsta71701

Do we now have the best collection of coaches of the 4 major sports in any NCAA program in not only the SEC but the country?

Football - Bret Bielema
Basketball - Mike Anderson
Baseball - Dave Van Horn
Women's Basketball - Mike Neighbors

If not I think we can make an argument. If nothing else they all are known names in the business. What about track? Is Chris Bucknam a well known track coach?
"The more things change the more they stay the same"

Wildhog

Arkansas Razorbacks Football National Championships:
1909/1964/1965/1977

HF#1

No, no we don't. DVH is our best coach. Football and basketball are middle of the road at best. Neighbors is yet to be determined since hasn't coached a game here yet.
"We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid."  <br /><br />Benjamin Franklin

bennyl08

Is Michigan good at Basketball?

If so, they probably have an argument.
Quote from: PorkSoda on May 05, 2016, 09:24:05 pm
damn I thought it was only a color, didn't realize it was named after a liqueur. leave it to benny to make me research the history of chartreuse

Jackrabbit Hog

Of course we do! 

As evidenced by all the championships we've won with these coaches.  I mean, who could argue?
Quote from: JIMMY BOARFFETT on June 29, 2018, 03:47:07 pm
I'm sure it's nothing that a $500 retainer can't fix.  Contact JackRabbit Hog for payment instructions.

JayHog

Youngsta71701

April 19, 2017, 01:10:34 pm #7 Last Edit: April 19, 2017, 01:25:00 pm by Youngsta71701
Quote from: HF#1 on April 19, 2017, 11:24:06 am
No, no we don't. DVH is our best coach. Football and basketball are middle of the road at best. Neighbors is yet to be determined since hasn't coached a game here yet.
Name a program with a better collection then? Football and basketball are just two of the four that were mentioned. I said collection. Please give coaches names and compare.

Youngsta71701

Youngsta71701

Quote from: Jackrabbit Hog on April 19, 2017, 11:35:13 am
Of course we do! 

As evidenced by all the championships we've won with these coaches.  I mean, who could argue?
Name another program where all of their four major coaches have won championships? I know we haven't but since you brought up championships name one.

Youngsta71701

Quote from: bennyl08 on April 19, 2017, 11:32:55 am
Is Michigan good at Basketball?

If so, they probably have an argument.
Can't argue with Michigan. One question though. How good is their women's basketball program and their men's baseball program? There football and men's basketball programs are pretty solid as we know. Who is their men's basketball coach again?

Youngsta71701

hogcard1964

The only two that matter are men's basketball and football.  We're looking better in basketball and remain mediocre in football.

Youngsta71701

I didn't say anything about records or accomplishments at a school. I said well known and let me also throw in respected coaches in the business.

Youngsta71701

Quote from: hogcard1964 on April 19, 2017, 01:20:18 pm
The only two that matter are men's basketball and football.  We're looking better in basketball and remain mediocre in football.
Lol...you might have a point there. Although I do think baseball is becoming more popular and relevant every year.

EastexHawg

Is this a serious question?  Does anyone think there are people around the rest of the country debating whether Arkansas might have the best collection of coaches in America?

Just taking a quick look around the country, how about Florida State?  Jimbo Fisher, Mike Martin, Sue Semrau, and Leonard Hamilton.  Hamilton is mediocre, but...never mind.

Or maybe Stanford?  David Shaw, Mike Marquess...who only has 14 College World Series appearances to his credit...Tara Vanderveer, and...who cares who the fourth one is (it happens to be Johnny Dawkins)?

MJ2

PorkSoda

why did you leave out track and field?

we are still a top five program there.
"I became insane, with long intervals of horrible sanity." ― Edgar Allan Poe
"If quantum mechanics hasn't profoundly shocked you, you haven't understood it yet. Everything we call real is made of things that cannot be regarded as real." – Niels Bohr
"A mind stretched to a new idea, never returns to its original dimensions" ~ Oliver Wendell Holmes
Quote from: PonderinHog on August 07, 2023, 06:37:15 pmYeah, we're all here, but we ain't all there.

HillBillyHogfan

Based on the four sports mentioned...

South Carolina
Observations from the holler... Maker of Newton County's best corn-squeezins'  @HillbillyHogfan

daBoar

I'd say UNC, but maybe this should be about the SEC West?

GoHogzzGo

Florida, Clemson, Wisconsin, UNC, USCe Among others.

CBB is weighing us down until he proves otherwise. (And that's not a fat joke  ;) )
Success isn't permanent and failure isn't fatal.

PorkSoda

Quote from: Youngsta71701 on April 19, 2017, 10:04:17 am
Do we now have the best collection of coaches of the 4 major sports in any NCAA program in the state of arkansas?
yes
"If quantum mechanics hasn't profoundly shocked you, you haven't understood it yet. Everything we call real is made of things that cannot be regarded as real." – Niels Bohr
"A mind stretched to a new idea, never returns to its original dimensions" ~ Oliver Wendell Holmes
Quote from: PonderinHog on August 07, 2023, 06:37:15 pmYeah, we're all here, but we ain't all there.

Inhogswetrust

I wonder how many that say Louisville, Florida, UNC, Clemson, etc. could have actually named all four of their coaches in those sports without looking it up first.
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

RME

To a peabrain, maybe.

Tell that to the baseball team (who is consistently very solid, despite a rough year last year) and fans who continue to break and set attendance records at Baum.

HamSammich

florida has won three championships in a year. Kentucky two.

I'm not sure I know how to answer this question.

Boardon Hamsay

Once this thread becomes inclusive to all the quality rowing, curling, lacrosse, bowling, and squash coaching staffs out there, it will reach a whole new stratosphere. Might even become "Son of All Things......Merged" and sticky worthy. We've only scratched to surface of the potential greatness here.
Quote from: Pillowhead Jackson on October 16, 2017, 07:51:05 pmDo nursing homes buy a lot of lobsters for their residents or are you back behind the trash dumpster selling hot lobsters ito Uncle Dewey for his social security money?
Quote from: Rudy Baylor on March 26, 2019, 08:33:58 pmBill Self seriously just jogged by my front yard. I almost accidentally sprayed him with Weed&Feed
Quote from: thebignasty on April 03, 2019, 12:07:41 pmExploitation of quantum mechanics pretty much has to be addressed in the NCAA handbook.
Quote from: theFlyingHog on June 09, 2021, 10:50:01 amYou certainly keep the waters well chummed.
Quote from: PonderinHog on October 22, 2021, 10:03:28 amI'm no longer drinking yet.

PorkSoda

Quote from: Darrell Royal's Floating Flaming Fulminating Spectral Head on April 19, 2017, 08:36:54 pm
Once this thread becomes inclusive to all the quality rowing, curling, lacrosse, bowling, and squash coaching staffs out there, it will reach a whole new stratosphere. Might even become "Son of All Things......Merged" and sticky worthy. We've only scratched to surface of the potential greatness here.
how is our underwater basket-weaving team doing this year?

Boardon Hamsay

Quote from: PorkSoda on April 19, 2017, 08:42:22 pm
how is our underwater basket-weaving team doing this year?

10-12 matches below .500 >:( We should fire Coach Snodgrass for losing to DeVry last weekend.
Quote from: Pillowhead Jackson on October 16, 2017, 07:51:05 pmDo nursing homes buy a lot of lobsters for their residents or are you back behind the trash dumpster selling hot lobsters ito Uncle Dewey for his social security money?
Quote from: Rudy Baylor on March 26, 2019, 08:33:58 pmBill Self seriously just jogged by my front yard. I almost accidentally sprayed him with Weed&Feed
Quote from: thebignasty on April 03, 2019, 12:07:41 pmExploitation of quantum mechanics pretty much has to be addressed in the NCAA handbook.
Quote from: theFlyingHog on June 09, 2021, 10:50:01 amYou certainly keep the waters well chummed.
Quote from: PonderinHog on October 22, 2021, 10:03:28 amI'm no longer drinking yet.

TeufelHog

South Carolina says, "Hello." 

Gotta admit, not too bad a collection of coaches there.

ChitownHawg

It someone is wearing a University of Arkansas uniform then it matters. If a player devotes a significant amount of time representing the UofA then it matters.
PonderinHog: "My mother gave me a framed cross-stitch picture that reads, "You can tell a Hog fan, but you can't tell him much.  Go Hogs!" It's a blessing and a curse."  :razorback:

Klamath River Hog: " Is your spell check made in India?"

Pork Twain

I think we might.  Sure football and basketball are middle of the road, but they are on the rise and many other programs just don't compete in all four sports, worth a crap.  Arkansas is also top 10 in T&F.
"It is better to be an optimist and proven wrong, than a pessimist and proven right." ~Pork Twain

https://www.facebook.com/groups/sweetmemes/

Pork Twain

Quote from: Inhogswetrust on April 19, 2017, 05:08:34 pm
I wonder how many that say Louisville, Florida, UNC, Clemson, etc. could have actually named all four of their coaches in those sports without looking it up first.
Zero
"It is better to be an optimist and proven wrong, than a pessimist and proven right." ~Pork Twain

carolinahogger

Quote from: Youngsta71701 on April 19, 2017, 01:10:34 pm
Name a program with a better collection then? Football and basketball are just two of the four that were mentioned. I said collection. Please give coaches names and compare.

Nothing matters except football and basketball.  So, off the top of my head, here are 3 programs with better "collections": Alabama, Duke, UNC.

GoHogzzGo

Quote from: Inhogswetrust on April 19, 2017, 05:08:34 pm

Yup, no one is allowed to use google for anymore replies on hogville, we're cutoff  ;)

Success isn't permanent and failure isn't fatal.

Youngsta71701

Quote from: EastexHawg on April 19, 2017, 02:56:07 pm
Is this a serious question?  Does anyone think there are people around the rest of the country debating whether Arkansas might have the best collection of coaches in America?

Just taking a quick look around the country, how about Florida State?  Jimbo Fisher, Mike Martin, Sue Semrau, and Leonard Hamilton.  Hamilton is mediocre, but...never mind.

Or maybe Stanford?  David Shaw, Mike Marquess...who only has 14 College World Series appearances to his credit...Tara Vanderveer, and...who cares who the fourth one is (it happens to be Johnny Dawkins)?
Who is Mike Martin and Sue Semrau? Seriously, never heard of em.
Who is Mike Marquess? 14 CWS appearances sounds good but once again, never heard of em.

Youngsta71701

April 20, 2017, 11:15:20 am #36 Last Edit: April 20, 2017, 11:49:41 am by Youngsta71701
Quote from: HillBillyHogfan on April 19, 2017, 03:23:00 pm
Based on the four sports mentioned...

South Carolina
That's a good one. I do know all of their coaches.

Football - Will Muschamp
Men's Basketball - Frank "The Tank" Martin
Baseball - Ray Tanner
Women's Basketball - Dawn Staley

Not a bad group there.

Youngsta71701

April 20, 2017, 11:17:04 am #37 Last Edit: April 20, 2017, 11:28:21 am by Youngsta71701
Quote from: carolinahogger on April 20, 2017, 08:18:55 am
Nothing matters except football and basketball.  So, off the top of my head, here are 3 programs with better "collections": Alabama, Duke, UNC.
Who is UNC's football coach again? Oh never mind, is it Larry Fedora? You may have a point. I don't' agree with the nothing matters but football and basketball though. That kind of close mindedness is what keeps people in a box. Get outside of your box every once in a while. I love any sport that Arkansas is involved in.

Personally I love football, basketball men's or women's, baseball, softball women's fast pitch or men's and women's slow-pitch, tennis, golf, table tennis, volleyball, badminton. Hell, I love sports period. I love it all. And I almost forgot about my number 1 sport, bowling.

I don't like to watch it all though but I love to play it all.

Youngsta71701

If you can't name all four of the coaches of those sports at that school without googling it or looking it up then they are irrelevant in this thread. Meaning I can't name the baseball coach and women's basketball coach at Alabama but I can name the football coach and men's basketball coach. Just saying. Carry on...

HF#1

"We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid."  <br /><br />Benjamin Franklin

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: Pork Twain on April 20, 2017, 07:12:34 am
Zero

Exactly! Heck some couldn't even name both the football and men's basketball coaches at some of those places.
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

bennyl08

Quote from: Inhogswetrust on April 20, 2017, 02:42:31 pm
Exactly! Heck some couldn't even name both the football and men's basketball coaches at some of those places.

Heck, I can barely name our own basketball coach, much less anybody else's.
Quote from: PorkSoda on May 05, 2016, 09:24:05 pm
damn I thought it was only a color, didn't realize it was named after a liqueur. leave it to benny to make me research the history of chartreuse

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: bennyl08 on April 20, 2017, 02:45:37 pm
Heck, I can barely name our own basketball coach, much less anybody else's.

Dana Altman? No wait. That was yesterday......................

EastexHawg

Quote from: Youngsta71701 on April 20, 2017, 11:13:43 am
Who is Mike Martin and Sue Semrau? Seriously, never heard of em.
Who is Mike Marquess? 14 CWS appearances sounds good but once again, never heard of em.

Mike Martin is second in NCAA history in both wins and winning percentage.  You must follow college baseball really closely.

In the last three years Semrau's teams have reached two women's Elite Eights and one Sweet Sixteen.

Finally...did you just start a thread telling everyone who the best coaches in America are, then admit that you don't know who a baseball coach with 14 CWS appearances is?

OneTuskOverTheLine™

Here's the rub, You can continue to say that until which snap of which game..?
Quote from: capehog on March 12, 2010...
My ex wife had a pet monkey I used to play with. That was one of the few things I liked about her

quote from: golf2day on June 19, 2014....
I'm disgusted, but kinda excited. Now I'm disgusted that I'm excited.

Pork Twain

Quote from: Inhogswetrust on April 20, 2017, 02:42:31 pm
Sadly, in the minds of many on here, everyone else is always better than us and nobody else sucks as bad as we do or is hated as much by ESPN as we are.  Throw in that we have the worst AD in all of the NCAA and you are set.  To admit that we have a great group of coaches, would be admitting that our AD knows what he is doing and is highly respected outside of 4-5 idiots on Hogville.

jkstock04

Quote from: Youngsta71701 on April 20, 2017, 11:21:50 am
If you can't name all four of the coaches of those sports at that school without googling it or looking it up then they are irrelevant in this thread. Meaning I can't name the baseball coach and women's basketball coach at Alabama but I can name the football coach and men's basketball coach. Just saying. Carry on...
This is Hogville homer logic at its best. Hilarious.

Essentially, if you can't name off the top of your head 4 coaches at other schools who have better resumes, then its like they are non-existent and our 4 automatically are the best in the country.
Thanks for the F Shack. 

Love,

Dirty Mike and the Boys

ChitownHawg

Quote from: jkstock04 on April 21, 2017, 07:35:27 am
This is Hogville homer logic at its best. Hilarious.

Essentially, if you can't name off the top of your head 4 coaches at other schools who have better resumes, then its like they are non-existent and our 4 automatically are the best in the country.

I think people are missing this part of the OP. I think the OP was thinking more of famous versus their actual record.

Quote from: Youngsta71701 on April 19, 2017, 10:04:17 am
Do we now have the best collection of coaches of the 4 major sports in any NCAA program in not only the SEC but the country?

Football - Bret Bielema
Basketball - Mike Anderson
Baseball - Dave Van Horn
Women's Basketball - Mike Neighbors

If not I think we can make an argument. If nothing else they all are known names in the business. What about track? Is Chris Bucknam a well known track coach?
PonderinHog: "My mother gave me a framed cross-stitch picture that reads, "You can tell a Hog fan, but you can't tell him much.  Go Hogs!" It's a blessing and a curse."  :razorback:

jkstock04

Fair enough. I couldn't tell you the name of a baseball coach at any college in the NCAA other than Arkansas without looking it up...much less women's basketball.

So prob not a thread I should participate in.
Thanks for the F Shack. 

Love,

Dirty Mike and the Boys

ChitownHawg

Quote from: jkstock04 on April 21, 2017, 07:51:21 am
Fair enough. I couldn't tell you the name of a baseball coach at any college in the NCAA other than Arkansas without looking it up...much less women's basketball.

So prob not a thread I should participate in.

I am with you on not knowing coaches' names. Which I think is most fans and why I didn't understand the premise of this thread. I am following only because it is Spring and good football threads are hard to come by.  ;D