Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Twitter Campaign to bring back Macon/Barford

Started by Hogs49ers, March 24, 2017, 07:20:13 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

FineAsSwine

Quote from: 311Hog on March 31, 2017, 01:40:49 pm
Well if someone is saying they should give up on ever playing in the NBA i might agree with you, but telling a kid/young man that the prospects of them being drafted and actually sticking with an NBA team are almost non existent when that is absolutely the truth is what people need more of not less.

I just took a quick look at the "top" guards for upcoming draft on CBS and 36 players were listed and Barford and Macon were not among them.  As i said being honest and second guessing dreams are not the same thing.

Providing input to a player about what they should or should not do is never appropriate for a fan, most of whom do not have their own lives figured out yet.
Hogs up! Covid down!

311Hog

Quote from: FineAsSwine on March 31, 2017, 01:42:45 pm
Providing input to a player about what they should or should not do is never appropriate for a fan, most of whom do not have their own lives figured out yet.

Well i agree there if we are saying speaking directly, unsolicited to a player.  Then again i hate twitter and i will never have an account there.

I am talking on a message board. And i believe they would be fools to leave now.  Only reason i could see it is of they couldn't/dont have the grades or need to pay for a child/family issues.  But when i think about it how good can the life of a player in Iraq be for a new family?

Little Lady Back

Quote from: FineAsSwine on March 31, 2017, 01:42:45 pm

This!
#NolanRichardsonCourt

PorkRinds

Well if someone is saying they should give up on ever playing in the NBA i might agree with you, but telling a kid/young man that the prospects of them being drafted and actually sticking with an NBA team are almost non existent when that is absolutely the truth is what people need more of not less.

I just took a quick look at the "top" guards for upcoming draft on CBS and 36 players were listed and Barford and Macon were not among them.  As i said being honest and second guessing dreams are not the same thing.

What people need more of is minding their own damn business. None of us, nor any fan in twitter, knows the reality of their situations. If you're not a draft expert keep your draft advice to yourself.

311Hog

Quote from: PorkRinds on March 31, 2017, 03:03:39 pm
What people need more of is minding their own damn business. None of us, nor any fan in twitter, knows the reality of their situations. If you're not a draft expert keep your draft advice to yourself.

If only twitter never existed.  What a grand world we would live in.... no serious can someone please get rid of twitter

rzrbackramsfan

Maybe so, but its a quick way to piss anyone off as well.  Would also probably encourage them to enter the draft just to spite those saying they won't be drafted. 

rzrbackramsfan

Quote from: 311Hog on March 31, 2017, 03:07:05 pm
If only twitter never existed.  What a grand world we would live in.... no serious can someone please get rid of twitter

Just curious, where are you on the guns don't kill people, people kill people issue? 

rzrbackramsfan

Quote from: PorkRinds on March 31, 2017, 03:03:39 pm

Agree, but it's always fine to show love. 

311Hog

Quote from: rzrbackramsfan on March 31, 2017, 05:34:20 pm
Just curious, where are you on the guns don't kill people, people kill people issue? 

two things.  one if a player did join the draft and experience failure "just to spite" his fans that would be the height of stupidity.  and two people obviously kill people, but that doesn't mean you have to make it easier for them to do it or be more effective in the activity.

rzrbackramsfan

Quote from: 311Hog on April 01, 2017, 10:26:58 am
two things.  one if a player did join the draft and experience failure "just to spite" his fans that would be the height of stupidity.  and two people obviously kill people, but that doesn't mean you have to make it easier for them to do it or be more effective in the activity.

Because I was going to say, twitter doesn't say stupid things, people say stupid things on twitter.

niels_boar

Macon had an outstanding year.  He got robbed of being All-SEC.  He earned that honor. I thoroughly enjoyed watching him play from day one, both due to his skill and intelligence.  Unlike many Arkansas stars in the past he brought it in March. He was the primary reason that we were excellent in close games this season.  I'll be rooting for him next season regardless of what uniform he is wearing. 

My warning to him is to be wary of people advising him that lose nothing from being wrong.  That would include me, every other Arkansas fan, and outside influences that don't make a cent with him on a college court.  Do listen to first-hand advice from those employed by the front offices of pro teams.
The jawbone of an ass is just as dangerous a weapon today as in Sampson's time.

azhog10

I do feel like Macon is trying to stir the pot a bit to make himself feel better for deciding not to come back. Everyone knows people say stupid stuff but he seems to be taking it personally and not in a way to prove the nay Sayers wrong but instead to say "fine you don't want me I'm gone".

HamSammich

lol you kids are so cute. I remember when my some use to make cards to girls in first grade.... cute.

PorkRinds

Quote from: azhog10 on April 04, 2017, 06:44:16 pm
I do feel like Macon is trying to stir the pot a bit to make himself feel better for deciding not to come back. Everyone knows people say stupid stuff but he seems to be taking it personally and not in a way to prove the nay Sayers wrong but instead to say "fine you don't want me I'm gone".

I follow him on twitter. Haven't seen anything to suggest this is the case at all.

tusksincolorado

Has Barford and Macon left the U of A to go into the draft???
Screw it! I'm an old angry male, live with it!

azhog10

Quote from: PorkRinds on April 05, 2017, 01:35:41 pm
I follow him on twitter. Haven't seen anything to suggest this is the case at all.
Then you haven't been following quick enough as he usually deletes things fairly quickly. Like I said, I think he should go through the process. But he's definitely been quick to lash out at the stupid comments and has said nothing to the positive ones.

(notOM)Rebel123

Quote from: azhog10 on April 08, 2017, 11:01:45 am
Then you haven't been following quick enough as he usually deletes things fairly quickly. Like I said, I think he should go through the process. But he's definitely been quick to lash out at the stupid comments and has said nothing to the positive ones.

I like to think Scotty Thurman can give him some good advice.
"Knowledge is Good"....Emil Faber

hogsanity

Quote from: (notOM)Rebel123 on April 08, 2017, 11:21:12 am
I like to think Scotty Thurman can give him some good advice.

He is a very different player than Thurman was.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

311Hog

Quote from: hogsanity on April 10, 2017, 12:31:36 pm

that maybe true, but he doesn't have anymore chance to get drafted.  I mean he doesn't even have a signature moment in the big dance.  Thurman won a Natty, that often gets you drafted on sentimental value alone and he still didn't get drafted.

(notOM)Rebel123

Quote from: hogsanity on April 10, 2017, 12:31:36 pm

So, at the same stage of each of their careers, who would have the better chance of being drafted? Scotty hands down and we know how that turned out.
"Knowledge is Good"....Emil Faber

hogsanity

Quote from: (notOM)Rebel123 on April 10, 2017, 02:36:29 pm
So, at the same stage of each of their careers, who would have the better chance of being drafted? Scotty hands down and we know how that turned out.

I am not commenting on his draftability, only that his skill set is different than Thurman's was. Also, things have changed a lot in 22 years. Now there is the D league. Overseas is a much bigger opportunity now as well. 
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

311Hog

Quote from: hogsanity on April 10, 2017, 02:55:39 pm
I am not commenting on his draftability, only that his skill set is different than Thurman's was. Also, things have changed a lot in 22 years. Now there is the D league. Overseas is a much bigger opportunity now as well. 

I am not sure playing in the "minors" is as glamorous  as some think it is.  Sure maybe if you are a single guy playing over seas for good money is alluring, but if someone has a young family leaving them behind or taking them with you is problematic at best i would believe.

It can't be that much better then playing minor league baseball and that is pretty grueling.