Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

2009 Heisman Trophy (ALL POSTS GO HERE!!!)

Started by DukeOfPork, December 07, 2009, 11:37:53 am

Previous topic - Next topic

DukeOfPork

Guys, I am not just trying to make a "provocative" message board post here; I'm being honest about this.

Ndamukong Suh and Toby Gerhart were easily the two most valuable and productive players in the country this year.

Suh's defensive statistics are ridiculous, but if you watched him play against Texas, you realize that he is a one man wrecking ball.

Gerhart rushed for 200 yards per game against ranked opponents and carried a talent poor team on his back.

Somebody, ANYBODY, name a player this season that was better than these two guys.

gohogsgo006

Suh would get my vote, he dominated the Texas team. To bad his offense sucks
Hogville- Where realism somehow equals pessimism

Demaghog

Suh, some plays he just totally owned his guy like I've never seen before.  His punches were launching his man backwards.

code red

Ingram because most ballotors waited to see the outcome of the SEC champ game and he dominated in the biggest game of the year thus far.  That is the reason he will win the hiesman.  Heisman = hype just like the BCS.
"If what you did yesterday seems big, you haven't done anything today."  Dr. Lou

regi

85AHog

Suh "should".....especially since he gained more yards in field position from tackles for loss yesterday than Nebraska's quarterbacks gained passing. of course NU has zero offense...but still!

Tripod1

The Heisman is no longer about the best player but the player who is best hyped and is playing in a BCS bowl.

DukeOfPork

Quote from: code red on December 07, 2009, 11:46:41 am
Ingram because most ballotors waited to see the outcome of the SEC champ game and he dominated in the biggest game of the year thus far.  That is the reason he will win the hiesman.  Heisman = hype just like the BCS.

I agree that Ingram will get it despite the fact that the two running backs behind him would have produced equal yardage if given the carries and despite the fact that Ingram is probably not in the top 5 players on Bama's team.  Saban almost admitted this on ESPN last night.

But this thread is about who SHOULD win it.

Suh or Gerhart: name someone who is more deserving than these two guys.  I dare anyone to do it.

Silver Hog

TXrazorback

Quote from: PorkPariah on December 07, 2009, 12:38:31 pm
I agree that Ingram will get it despite the fact that the two running backs behind him would have produced equal yardage if given the carries and despite the fact that Ingram is probably not in the top 5 players on Bama's team.  Saban almost admitted this on ESPN last night.

But this thread is about who SHOULD win it.

Suh or Gerhart: name someone who is more deserving than these two guys.  I dare anyone to do it.

I was in the same school of thought as you, but don't forget to look at Ingram's receiving production as well......
Quote from: Hawg Balling on December 04, 2012, 03:59:08 pm
According to Hogville, fantasy offense and passing 80 times a game wins championships.

hogsanity

Suh is the best player in college football, period.

Gerhart is the best RB, imo.

Ingram is the marquee player on the # ranked team, so he likely wins it. 
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

DukeOfPork

Quote from: TXrazorback on December 07, 2009, 12:48:28 pm
I was in the same school of thought as you, but don't forget to look at Ingram's receiving production as well......

Yeah, and be sure you include his 16 carries for 30 yards against Auburn.

Bama's offensive line dominated everyone they played.  Stanford's offensive line is, well, composed of STANFORD PLAYERS.

I rest my case.

El Puerco

bphi11ips

Quote from: hogsanity on December 07, 2009, 12:55:41 pm

Spot on. 
Life is too short for grudges and feuds.

upperdeck_hawg

Suh has single handedly won 3 or 4 games for nebraska this year and kept them in a few. He'll be a monster in the nfl. ingram and gerheart wont last 2 seasons each in the nfl.
I don't hate the guy.  He's a great Hog, and a needed contributor.  I despise that he does not understand his role as a complimentary player puts an absolute ceiling on this team.

-ErieHog on Devo Davis

ADHog

Colt McCoy         QB Texas
Mark Ingram        RB Alabama
Toby Gerhart       RB Stanford
Ndamukong Suh   DT Nebraska
Timmy Teblows    qb Flo rida

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=4723007

FloridaRefs

Solid group of individuals.  Men of true integrity and grit.

Kleenex offered Tebow a 10 million dollar deal after the SEC championship game.
Thug Life

Boarcephus

I'd love to see Suh win this thing.  It was amazing how he threw around a 215 qb with one arm while the other arm was locked up with an OL in that last game.
I need to be more like my dog...if you can't fight it, screw it, or eat it, then piss on it.

Bubba's Bruisers

It's going to McCoy...deserving or not. 
I will put enmity between you and the woman, and between your offspring and her offspring; he shall bruise your head, and you shall bruise his heal.

Genesis 3:15

FloridaRefs

Quote from: Bubba's Bruisers on December 07, 2009, 06:46:30 pm

The logic is definitely there.  A perfect example of the flaw and overall pointlessness of NCAA football awards.
Thug Life

FaytownHog

he looked terrible sat. ingrim on the other hand blew up, so we'll see. honestly as long as it doesn't go to teblow i'll be happy.

Mark Lericos

Suh is the most dominant player in college football.

Sadly, doesn't always go to the best or most talented (Fitzgerald anyone?).

I think Ingram wrapped it up.

FaytownHog

Quote from: Mark [Scoop] Lericos on December 07, 2009, 07:39:52 pm
  Suh is the most dominant player in college football.

Sadly, doesn't always go to the best or most talented (Fitzgerald anyone?).

I think Ingram wrapped it up.
dmac anyone?

ChicoHog

I hope McCoy gets it for his career.  he had a chance to sew it up on Sat nite but had a horrible game at the wrong time.  ingram did great but I really think that Richardson could have done the same thing.  Suh is dominant though.  Amazing player. 

Calling All Hogs

Quote from: Boarcephus on December 07, 2009, 06:46:25 pm
I'd love to see Suh win this thing.  It was amazing how he threw around a 215 qb with one arm while the other arm was locked up with an OL in that last game.

Suh looks like he could whip the other 4 finalists and not even work up a sweat. A man among boys.

Pigsknuckles

Gonna start his Heisman jinx early, eh?
"the ox is slow, but the Earth is patient"

HawgBallLvr

2010 Liberty Bowl Champions!!

Root66

Hoggish1

Give it to the Stanford runner and eliminate all the BS in the next 30 days.  But it will be Ingram.

bphi11ips

Charles Woodson shouldn't have won over Peyton Manning, but Ndamukong Suh is the clear choice after the Texas game.  The Heisman gets a chance to reclaim some credibility with a clear choice on defense.  Won't be surprised if Suh wins.  Ingram is just a sophomore and doesn't have the eye-bulging stats Tebow had.  McCoy knocked himself out against Nebraska.  Tebow is a token.  Gerhart is not PC.
Life is too short for grudges and feuds.

Fisticuffs

McCoy should get it after being screwed last year. This is not the year a soph runningback with average stats should win a heisman (Ingram). And if Toby Gerhart gets it I will $h!t bricks! Dmac didnt get it b/c we only had 8 wins so he shouldnt get it!!

DukeOfPork

Quote from: upperdeck_hawg on December 07, 2009, 02:52:57 pm
Suh has single handedly won 3 or 4 games for nebraska this year and kept them in a few. He'll be a monster in the nfl. ingram and gerheart wont last 2 seasons each in the nfl.

I agree with you , but that has nothing to do with the Heisman.

WildHawg

Quote from: ChicoHog on December 07, 2009, 07:47:29 pm
I hope McCoy gets it for his career.  he had a chance to sew it up on Sat nite but had a horrible game at the wrong time.  ingram did great but I really think that Richardson could have done the same thing.  Suh is dominant though.  Amazing player.

You hope a Longhorn wins something??? Even more the Heisman....REALLY?!?

And no player should win it because of his career, if this was so the award would once again go to Tebow.  No player should hoist the Heisman because of biases against/for certain universities, no player should be discriminated against because of class year, or because of the market base that player hails from.  It should go to the best player by impact on their own team, impact on college football, and mostly achievements on the field. 

How great would it be if this was how it really went?

As a defensive player Suh has been great but there have been other defensive players do much the same as he has and get absolutely NO consideration for the Heisman.

Tebow has led one of the best teams this year, but not the best team and he gets an invite based on name recognition.

McCoy has put up great numbers, which isn't hard to do against the pass defenses of the Big 12, but at very critical times of his season he stank up Texas Memorial Stadium.  He is not a Heisman winning QB at all.  Other QBs have done the same thing this year just with much less TV time.

This leaves Ingram and Gerhart.

Gerhart plays on a average pac10 team.  Does anyone doubt Dmac would have ran for 3,000 yds in on season playing in the pac10? And most definitely pulled his team to the top of the conference and into the national picture?

Unfortunately that leaves Ingram who has powerhoused his way through the SEC and put up some great numbers while being the workhorse of the #1 team in the land.  Is he the most skilled or talented player in comparison to past winners.  Absolutely not.  But it seems Alabama got a down year and will finally get their Heisman.  Probably more deservingly so than any other this year.

hawgeathawg

moses_007

Tejano Jawg

I thought McCoy should've won it last year.
Between McAfee being obnoxious and Corso decomposing before our eyes I can't even watch GameDay anymore. —Torqued Pork

FedorE

FraggleHog

as a guy who played defense, I am absolutely amazed at the talent and sheer domination that Suh displays on the field. I would be tickled to death if the HeisMAN committee showed the defense some love and gave it to Suh. Urban Meyer whittled a heisman out of some birchwood he found and presented it to Tebow in the locker room after the SECCG.
Calling the Hogs from DFW

porkchopsdontfloat

Quote from: hogsanity on December 07, 2009, 12:55:41 pm

Took the words right out of my keyboard.
The world will little note, nor long remember, the debates that distract us from what really matters, but it will remember that we wasted our lives calling strangers on the Internet retarded for liking the wrong things.

HawgBallLvr

Its obviously not about the best college football player. We learned that when DMAC was screwed. My gut tells me Ingram gets it. Although I have a funny feeling that Teblow will somehow slide into it.. I will officially not care the rest of the 20% that I care now about the Heisman if that happens.

dhornjr1

Quote from: HawgBallLvr on December 08, 2009, 07:21:37 am
Although I have a funny feeling that Teblow will somehow slide into it.

I would have said the same thing until I heard who the finalists were.

Starting in 2005, only three Heisman finalists were announced and it stayed that way through 2008. Now, in 2009 we get five finalists again.

Why?

Because Tebow is not in the top three. However, you know ESPN would have had a collective conniption if "Hey Zeus" Tebow had not been included in the festivities.

Suh should be the winner, but I think McCoy wins it, unfortunately.

The Hogfather

HawgBallLvr

Quote from: dhornjr1 on December 08, 2009, 07:48:44 am
I would have said the same thing until I heard who the finalists were.

Starting in 2005, only three Heisman finalists were announced and it stayed that way through 2008. Now, in 2009 we get five finalists again.

Why?

Because Tebow is not in the top three. However, you know ESPN would have had a collective conniption if "Hey Zeus" Tebow had not been included in the festivities.

Suh should be the winner, but I think McCoy wins it, unfortunately.
I hate bama but I want Ingram to win it. I can and will never pick anything or anyone from Texass.

HawgBallLvr

Why are there two threads on the Heisman??

HawgBallLvr

How bout this... maybe the invited 2 more players this year so they can only invite ONE next year... MALLETT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

dhornjr1

Quote from: HawgBallLvr on December 08, 2009, 08:02:40 am
I hate bama but I want Ingram to win it. I can and will never pick anything or anyone from Texass.

Ingram is definitely worthy, but I don't think they'll give it to him. I think this will be a year where many voters tout the "body of work" like they did until "Hey Zeus" came along.

That means McCoy. :puke:

Dwight_K_Shrute

I will go with Gerhart for his play on the field and for doing so while being sadled with the name Toby.

Little known fact, but prior to settling on Guantanamo, the Pentagon wanted to house terror suspects at War Memorial Stadium.  It was deemed to be cruel and unusual punishment and in violation of the Geneva Convention.

nwa_razorback_coffee

This just in from the Downtown Athletic Club: "The Heisman Memorial Trophy annually recognizes the outstanding college football player whose performance best exhibits the pursuit of excellence with integrity. Winners epitomize great ability combined with diligence, perseverance, and hard work."

That should settle it. McCoy is the clear winner. End of thread.

jj202020

Suh is the best player in college football, and it's really not even close.