Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

aTm and the state of Texas

Started by El Guapo, November 10, 2012, 09:52:58 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

El Guapo

QuoteWrong... I live here and Texas and I am honestly blown away at how quickly a&m has passed Texas as the darlings of the state.  With Sumlin aTm is WAY ahead of arkansas as far as program building goes... smite away but this is how it is.

I made the above last week and was blasted for it... this win today just puts aTm than much more out front... they are the team and Sumlin is the coach all the athletes here in east texas want to play for now, the horns are losing their power draw!
"If I could rest anywhere it would be Arkansaw where the man of the real-horse, half alligator-breed such as grows no where else on the face of the universal earth" Davey Crockett 1834

IronHog

Quote from: El Guapo on November 10, 2012, 09:52:58 pm
I made the above last week and was blasted for it... this win today just puts aTm than much more out front... they are the team and Sumlin is the coach all the athletes here in east texas want to play for now, the horns are losing their power draw!

Texas athletes might win a battle.... but they'll NEVER win the war.
Iron sharpens iron, So one man sharpens another.

BigSexyHog

Yep I agree.  Sumlin is a great coach and his system works.  Could be a tough road playing A&M in the upcoming years.
Lebron raised money for kids... Rotnei stole crap from the equipment room

HogWall Jackson

Quote from: IronHog on November 10, 2012, 09:54:30 pm

The only Iron you have is in your Brain. Texas plays great H.S. Football, it looks as though someone @ A&M finally has figured out how to use the raw talent available. Arkansas is on the verge of disappearing in the SEC. It's over for a long time.

IronHog

Quote from: HogWall Jackson on November 11, 2012, 09:17:32 am
The only Iron you have is in your Brain. Texas plays great H.S. Football, it looks as though someone @ A&M finally has figured out how to use the raw talent available. Arkansas is on the verge of disappearing in the SEC. It's over for a long time.

Arkansas has been pounding Texas teams for 100 years.... one aTm season where Arkansas and Auburn are dumpster fires means nothing.

uagrad98

November 11, 2012, 09:38:53 am #5 Last Edit: November 11, 2012, 09:41:11 am by uagrad98
Very true Ironhog. Too many end of the world naysers after the coach was fired and a replacement coach was hired. Auburn is suffering after GM left and most of the team who won the championship 2 years ago. I say 2-4 years we will compete with the top of the west again with a new coach and system.

RollTideHog

The war has already been WON!

Arkansas vs. Texas A&M 2012 results: Aggies Dominate In 58-10 Win

Hoggie17

A&M success in the SEC will make more Texas kids want in the SEC. LSU and Arkansas wil both beneift.  Thats my take.

Cure

Team Economics
From Keynes to Friedman, we know what's up.

DLUXHOG

Quote from: Cure on November 11, 2012, 09:50:56 am
Metroplex is Sumlin's.

Today's Sport page headline in Dallas Morning News stated something like "A&M proves SEC is not so tough"......sheesh....
"Don't go in anyplace you'd be ashamed to die in..."
(you might get this someday)

razorbackcpa

Quote from: Hoggie17 on November 11, 2012, 09:41:59 am
A&M success in the SEC will make more Texas kids want in the SEC. LSU and Arkansas wil both beneift.  Thats my take.

Which is precisely why SEC teams favored aTm's entrance into the conference. We want that market.

BassinHawg

I will predict that A&M will be the next great powerhouse of the SEC within 3 years and will be in position to be playing for a NC every year.

Arkansas Football is in trouble in more than one way and may have to change conferences to be competitive again.
"It is what it is." has replaced "Yesssss Sirrrrr!!!!"

razorbackcpa

Quote from: BassinHawg on November 11, 2012, 09:57:13 am
I will predict that A&M will be the next great powerhouse of the SEC within 3 years and will be in position to be playing for a NC every year.

Arkansas Football is in trouble in more than one way and may have to change conferences to be competitive again.

A&M is in a great position because of its recruiting base. But to say that they will be a powerhouse is hard to buy. One season does not determine such things. Auburn went 14-0 two years ago, and they are in a recruiting hotbed. They are far from a powerhouse in the SEC. There's no reason to believe aTm will be, either.

DLUXHOG

Quote from: razorbackcpa on November 11, 2012, 09:59:12 am
A&M is in a great position because of its recruiting base. But to say that they will be a powerhouse is hard to buy. One season does not determine such things. Auburn went 14-0 two years ago, and they are in a recruiting hotbed. They are far from a powerhouse in the SEC. There's no reason to believe aTm will be, either.

Correct Sir!   A&M primarily was an also ran in the old SWC...   We've owned them (something like 41-23 since 1903).   They had a few, and I mean a few...., great seasons when they were in the SWC, none that I'm aware of as BIG 12 members.    Nothing has changed.........
"Don't go in anyplace you'd be ashamed to die in..."
(you might get this someday)

SemperHawg

Am I the only one who thinks A&M should be pissed they are in the SEC this year?  With the way things are shaking out they will end up in the Cotton, or Cap One at best.  If they were in the Big 12 this year they would most likely be undefeated in the title hunt or at worst looking for and outside shot as a BCS bowl at large team being the conferences 2nd best team.

Dado

Quote from: SemperHawg on November 11, 2012, 10:14:35 am
Am I the only one who thinks A&M should be pissed they are in the SEC this year?  With the way things are shaking out they will end up in the Cotton, or Cap One at best.  If they were in the Big 12 this year they would most likely be undefeated in the title hunt or at worst looking for and outside shot as a BCS bowl at large team being the conferences 2nd best team.
A&M was irrelevant in the Big 12

SemperHawg

Quote from: Dado on November 11, 2012, 10:25:02 am
A&M was irrelevant in the Big 12
Your saying that because they were irrelevant in the Big 12 the past few years that this team with Johnny Football and one of the top O-Lines in the country wouldn't be leading or tied for the lead in the Big 12 right now?  K-State my play for the title this year and we spanked them in the CB last year, look how much that means now. 

MojaveJoe

One thing about Sherman he was building a serious recruiting powerhouse down there. Hopefully Sumlin is just winning with someone else's recruits.

IronHog

Quote from: RollTideHog on November 11, 2012, 09:40:40 am

aTm finally wins a game when the Hogs are a dumpster fire.......

The biggest mistake average fans make is knee jerk reactions based off one game matchups.

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: RollTideHog on November 11, 2012, 09:40:40 am

That was one battle NOT the whole damn war..................
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

IronHog

Quote from: Inhogswetrust on November 11, 2012, 01:35:56 pm
That was one battle NOT the whole damn war..................

aTm has a long way to go to play in a SEC championship game.

We all know that trip goes through LSU...... not Bama.

tophawg19

A&m won this year but who won the last 3 . they got a new coach who is good . we got one who sucks
if you ain't a hawg you ain't chitlins

H-TownHawg

AM has built a house full of cards....True Arkansas and Auburn are having dumpster fires this year (and the conference as a whole is suffering from it)...AM had 6 turnovers against Ole Miss (should never win a game with that many)...and I still believe that if AM plays La Tech first game of the year in Shreveport they would of lost that game and their mentality would never be the same...be careful what you wish for AM...
Is there anything worse than an Aggie fan with high expectations ?

IronHog

Quote from: H-TownHawg on November 11, 2012, 01:48:13 pm
AM has built a house full of cards....True Arkansas and Auburn are having dumpster fires this year (and the conference as a whole is suffering from it)...AM had 6 turnovers against Ole Miss (should never win a game with that many)...and I still believe that if AM plays La Tech first game of the year in Shreveport they would of lost that game and their mentality would never be the same...be careful what you wish for AM...
Is there anything worse than an Aggie fan with high expectations ?

aTm and Arkansas are similar programs..... they fall flat when big things are expected.

Arkansas is saddled with playing in NWA...... aTm is just a bunch of pansies.

stan the man

Shades of HDN's first year with someone else's recruits. How many times does this happen. At least we can all hope this is the case

Murr

Quote from: IronHog on November 11, 2012, 09:28:21 am

Arkansas has been pounding Texas teams for 100 years.... one aTm season where Arkansas and Auburn are dumpster fires means nothing.

+1

Too many people are living in the "now"

Arkansas will be fine with the right hire.

CBP couldn't recruit well and he found ways to get to 11-2.

average fan

Quote from: BassinHawg on November 11, 2012, 09:57:13 am

I really hope you are wrong,but I can certainly see where you could be right.

GuvHog

That's exactly why Texas didn't want A&M to go to the SEC and why the Longhorns backed out of a Honey of a deal to join the PAC 12 in order to keep the Aggies from making the move. As Long as the Aggies stayed with Texas in the same conference, the Longhorns were the King of Texas. The Aggies will hurt OU recruiting as well so don't be surprised if they see the writing on the wall and jump ship to the SEC in the next few years.
Bleeding Razorback Red Since Birth!!!

GuvHog

Quote from: Murr on November 11, 2012, 01:57:57 pm
+1

Too many people are living in the "now"

Arkansas will be fine with the right hire.

I agree.
Bleeding Razorback Red Since Birth!!!

Dano

Quote from: DLUXHOG on November 11, 2012, 10:07:15 am
Correct Sir!   A&M primarily was an also ran in the old SWC...   We've owned them (something like 41-23 since 1903).   They had a few, and I mean a few...., great seasons when they were in the SWC, none that I'm aware of as BIG 12 members.    Nothing has changed.........

huh? They had 18 Conference Skins in a league that had you and the Horns in it. That is 2nd to the Horns. They even have a Big 12 Championship from 1998. Yes, the Razorbacks have descent edge in the series. However, if you look at the all time historical accomplishments of both teams you would see that both teams actually mirror each other. One could even argue A&M has advantage of being a better team (despite your series lead) historically.

This website and many others out there debunk your assertion.
http://www.cfbdatawarehouse.com/data/misc/div_ia_wins.php

El Guapo

I'm not sure what the long term future will hold.  I didn't really make myself clear, but my point was really that aTm is turning the tide right now.  Who knows what might happen if Texas promotes Mack out of the coaches seat and gets the right guy in there? 

And as far as where Arkansas stands to gain/lose as a result of all of this is yet to be seen.  But my point is simply this... the young athletes at least around East Texas, Houston and the Metroplex are shifting their focus toward Sumlin and the Aggies and there are really three reasons for this.

1. Winning! It all starts there and the aggies are getting a lot more press both here and nationally than the horns are. (not to mention that the Longhorn network that was supposed to lock down texas for the horns has backfired)

2.  SEC... Players want to play in the big time and they know where the competition is... Turn on ESPN and see who is getting the national coverage, shoot since aTm has joined the SEC and a few area networks have joined the SEC network package, you can find WAY more SEC games on TV every saturday down here than Big12

3. They love Sumlin... He has "swag", he plays up-tempo football and he wins at it.

Long term? who knows? short term? Aggies are riding high in the Lone Star, that is my point.
"If I could rest anywhere it would be Arkansaw where the man of the real-horse, half alligator-breed such as grows no where else on the face of the universal earth" Davey Crockett 1834

Hawg Balling

That's what makes me hesitant to say that aTm has "made it" in the SEC.  They've been an underachieving program since the Great Depression and could never consistently compete in either the SWC or Big 12.  To me, A&M is just Ole Miss with more money and more fans.