Home    OPP
SCORING                 154       199
Points Per Game       14.0      18.1
FIRST DOWNS           190       179
RUSHING YARDAGE    1654    1387
PASSING YARDAGE    1853    2296
TOTAL OFFENSE        3507    3683
Average Per Game    318.8    334.8

Defensive stats(11 games) for a team that we all know, a team with a HORRIBLE offense and far less advantages than the University of Arkansas. This is a team that plays in a P5 conference against some pretty good competition week in and week out.

What if this DC became available? Should we consider making a change?

WilsonHog

No. We need players, not new coaches.

ricepig

Quote from: Tom Bennett on November 26, 2015, 12:12:17 pm

It's a what have you done for me lately world. They loved Smith last year, this year, not so much.

pigtrino

I would take him.  That would be a pretty big demotion though.

BigoBoys

Missouri's DC is in his first year there.  That defense was built by Dave Steckel who is now the head coach at Missouri State.  Our DC is in his second year, the first year had a top 10 defense.  Difference between last year and this year is players. 

Lake City Hog

Team recruiting rankings for the past 4 years---#48--#49--#19--#29 and currently ranked #67.

Tom, would you not consider an upgrade if one was out there?

Lake City Hog

I am happy with Smith, but the simple fact is that you have to view coaches the same way that you do players. We try to recruit better players every year and if we do the older guy takes a seat.

So last year was it the players or the DC?? Why do some of you guys insist that one year the coordinator did a great job, but the next year he doesn't have the players? By the same token all we have heard for the past 3 years is that our recruiting has improved by leaps and bounds. You cannot have it both ways!

I'm just posing a hypothetical question and am in no way suggesting that Smith be fired! I actually believe that what we are doing this year is contrary to his beliefs, but he is being the good soldier.

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: BigoBoys on November 26, 2015, 12:30:19 pm
Missouri's DC is in his first year there.  That defense was built by Dave Steckel who is now the head coach at Missouri State.  Our DC is in his second year, the first year had a top 10 defense.  Difference between last year and this year is players. 

Difference usually is players. However the Mizzou DC was at Memphis and did a really good job there before getting the job at Mizzou. Some fans wanted him here. I wanted whoever coach thought was best for the job. 
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

Smokehouse

Quote from: Lake City Hog on November 26, 2015, 12:49:00 pm
Team recruiting rankings for the past 4 years---#48--#49--#19--#29 and currently ranked #67.

Tom, would you not consider an upgrade if one was out there?

I'm not Tom, but I wouldn't. Smith showed last year he can run a solid defense. I want stability in the coaching staff, or at the least with the coordinators. We've got a lot of young guys playing, so two years in the same system + some new talent they can help bring along should bring as much, if not more, of an improvement as getting a "better" DC (assuming there's a better option we can go get) who has to start over with all the players.
QuoteSometimes a warrior just has to lay down on the ground there for a minute and just have a good bleed. Just bleed.

Words of wisdom from John Pelphrey.

MissippHog

Quote from: Lake City Hog on November 26, 2015, 12:56:17 pm
So last year was it the players or the DC?? Why do some of you guys insist that one year the coordinator did a great job, but the next year he doesn't have the players? By the same token all we have heard for the past 3 years is that our recruiting has improved by leaps and bounds. You cannot have it both ways!

Well, considering the only thing that changed from last year to this year is the players......Smith has proven that he can field a tough defense when given the talent.

Aporkalypse Now

Quote from: Lake City Hog on November 26, 2015, 12:08:57 pm
                               Home    OPP

Defensive stats(11 games) for a team that we all know, a team with a HORRIBLE offense and far less advantages than the University of Arkansas. This is a team that plays in a P5 conference against some pretty good competition week in and week out.

"oh look at the shiny new object"

some of yall don't realize the importance of continuity in a football program.

Was this year's defense a disappointment? Yes, but you don't toss a coach like R Smith away based on one year's results.

Aporkalypse Now

Quote from: Lake City Hog on November 26, 2015, 12:56:17 pm
I am happy with Smith, but the simple fact is that you have to view coaches the same way that you do players. We try to recruit better players every year and if we do the older guy takes a seat.

I'm just posing a hypothetical question and am in no way suggesting that Smith be fired! I actually believe that what we are doing this year is contrary to his beliefs, but he is being the good soldier.

It's not either/or. A coach can only work with what he has to work with, BUT the players can also only run the plays they are coached to run.

Last year we did a great job of running the scheme that gave future NFL players their best chance to succeed. This year we don't have that future NFL talent on defense and so the playcalling doesn't look quite as good.

Look at it from the other side. What if those players had had a terrible coach and thus had a terrible year last year , would you then say "those guys sucked?" No you wouldn't , you would say the team just didn't have a good year.

It take talent AND coaching to make both an NFL player and a winning season.  You simply can't do it with one , but not the other.  We can go all the way back to McFadden and see that he loved Nutt, regardless of what any of us think, b/c he KNOWS that Nutt played a part in his NFL success, and visa versa, Nutt knows that McFadden's talent made his coaching look that much better.

If this weren't true, you wouldn't see any correlation between recruiting rankings and win/loss records, but we all know that you DO in fact see a correlation.

Lake City Hog

trust, if the difference is players shouldn't any DC be able to field a good defense?

The defense listed above is Vanderbilt and the DC is Derek Mason Head Coach/DC. DC at Stanford for a while. Look at what he is doing at Vandy!

Under Mason, the Cardinal ranked among the NCAA national Top 15 in defensive efficiency for three consecutive years.  Mason's leadership paved the way to a historic defensive output in 2012, breaking Stanford's single-season sacks record (57) and pacing the Pac-12 in scoring defense (17.2 points), total defense (336.2 yards) and rushing defense (97.0 yards). In 11 of 14 games in 2012, Stanford held its opponent to 20 or fewer points, including a 14-point effort in the overtime win at top-ranked Oregon, who led the FBS with a 54.8 scoring average.

Date   Opponent / Event   Location   Time
09/03/15   vs. Western Kentucky TV   Nashville   L, 14-12
09/12/15   vs. Georgia * TV   Nashville, Tenn.   L, 31-14  With Chubb
09/19/15   vs. Austin Peay TV   Nashville, Tenn.   W, 47-7
09/26/15   at Ole Miss * TV   Oxford, Miss.   L, 27-16
10/03/15   at Middle Tennessee State TV   Murfreesboro, Tenn.   W, 17-13
10/17/15   at South Carolina * TV   Columbia, S.C.   L, 19-10
10/24/15   vs. Missouri * TV   Nashville, Tenn.   W, 10-3
10/31/15   at Houston TV   Houston, Texas   L, 34-0
11/07/15   at Florida * TV   Gainesville, Fla.   L, 9-7
11/14/15   vs. Kentucky * TV   Nashville, Tenn.   W, 21-17
11/21/15   vs. Texas A&M * TV   Nashville, Tenn.   L, 25-0
11/28/15   at Tennessee * TV   Knoxville, Tenn.   3:00 p.m. CT

Think about how much his D is on the field! Think about the talent level that he is working with.

Hawgey-Davidson

Their DC will be their HC. Just my $.02.

Oliver

Home    OPP

I'm not a big fan of Robb Smith but I would like to see at least 2 to 3 years go by without us changing our coaching staff.  That and somebody on our current staff recognizing that special teams is an important part of football.

jjdlc

Quote from: Hawgey-Davidson on November 26, 2015, 02:07:24 pm

If he had been there for more than 1 season, I would probably agree.  As it is, I think they'll try to find someone with HC experience.

Hogarusa

Why do people not ever want to keep the same coaches on staff?
I'll ride the wave where it takes me

sickboy

Quote from: Hogarusa on November 26, 2015, 04:10:56 pm
Why do people not ever want to keep the same coaches on staff?

The grass is always greener.

elksnort

Good lord, how is it so hard to understand, we simply DID NOT REPLACE Philon, Spaight, Mitchell, nor Flowers. 

It really IS this simple.

Svrdhd

Losing the big three from defense last year should certainly have dropped us from a top 10 defense to an average defense. We didn't, we fell off the page to be one of the worst defenses in FBS. 93 out of 127 as of 11/25.

Are we going to field talent like we did in 2014 every year? I don't know, but that's a shaky foundation to build on.

It is most concerning that we did not improve much over the course of this season. I simply don't believe that 92 teams have more defensive talent than our Hogs in 2015, there are some minor teams with minimal personnel that are performing much better than we are.

It would be remarkable if there weren't at least some healthy skeptism about defense.

I'll burn that bridge when I come to it.

Aporkalypse Now

Quote from: Svrdhd on November 26, 2015, 06:34:08 pm
Losing the big three from defense last year should certainly have dropped us from a top 10 defense to an average defense. We didn't, we fell off the page to be one of the worst defenses in FBS. 93 out of 127 as of 11/25.

Are we going to field talent like we did in 2014 every year? I don't know, but that's a shaky foundation to build on.

It is most concerning that we did not improve much over the course of this season. I simply don't believe that 92 teams have more defensive talent than our Hogs in 2015, there are some minor teams with minimal personnel that are performing much better than we are.

It would be remarkable if there weren't at least some healthy skeptism about defense.

I mean you realize that only 13 other teams face SEC offenses right? Do you believe that some CUSA team has a a better defense than ours simply b/c their stats are better? Completely untrue of course.

We're not good, but we're not horrible either, we are simply facing very good offensive  teams week after week.

Svrdhd

Quote from: Aporkalypse Now on November 26, 2015, 06:37:53 pm
I mean you realize that only 13 other teams face SEC offenses right?

We were very fortunate to play some incredibly weak QB's in the SEC, particularly against Auburn and LSU. Plus Brandon Allen had to perform miracle after miracle each week to allow the team to survive the ineffectiveness of our defense.

Would we be bowl eligible in the Big 12? I honestly don't know, don't watch that many games.
I'll burn that bridge when I come to it.

Aporkalypse Now

Quote from: Svrdhd on November 26, 2015, 07:04:03 pm
We were very fortunate to play some incredibly weak QB's in the SEC, particularly against Auburn and LSU. Plus Brandon Allen had to perform miracle after miracle each week to allow the team to survive the ineffectiveness of our defense.

Would we be bowl eligible in the Big 12? I honestly don't know, don't watch that many games.

Right, I'm just saying, there are not actually 90 something teams that have a better defense than us

Hogfaniam

Home    OPP

"My dog Sam eats purple flowers"

DeltaBoy

If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

code red

Quote from: Tom Bennett on November 26, 2015, 12:12:17 pm
Some could argue scheme is an issue.
"If what you did yesterday seems big, you haven't done anything today."  Dr. Lou

WilsonHog

Quote from: code red on November 26, 2015, 08:18:02 pm
Some could argue scheme is an issue.

If some could (1) intelligently explain our scheme and (2) describe what Robb Smith's thought process is in putting us in it, I might give their opinion some weight.

How to say this? The temerity of some people to actually question scheme when they haven't watched a practice or sat in a meeting room amazes me.

AugustaHog

November 26, 2015, 08:46:05 pm #27 Last Edit: November 26, 2015, 08:56:54 pm by AugustaHog
Derek Mason is a really really good DC.  If in 2 years we are still not looking good on D and he parts ways with Vandy, I would love him to be brought in.  A lot of IFs there.  I hope Robb Smith figures things out and we don't have to worry about this at all.

RazorWild

Quote from: MissippHog on November 26, 2015, 01:09:30 pm
Well, considering the only thing that changed from last year to this year is the players......Smith has proven that he can field a tough defense when given the talent.

Everyone arguing otherwise just stop.....your starting to sound like the fire Les Miles fans

HSVhogfan2

Another major change from last year was catching Ole Miss and LSU this year at full strength, not depleted by injuries.
"The post you have just read was used with the express written consent of HSVHogfan2."

Veni Sancte Spiritus

Do you wish to rise? Begin by descending. You plan a tower that will pierce the clouds? Lay first the foundation of humility.

870hogfan

Lol I take my chances with Robb Smith. He already shown he could field an great defense...

Razorbacks#1

Quote from: Tom Bennett on November 26, 2015, 08:45:17 pm
If some could (1) intelligently explain our scheme and (2) describe what Robb Smith's thought process is in putting us in it, I might give their opinion some weight.

How to say this? The temerity of some people to actually question scheme when they haven't watched a practice or sat in a meeting room amazes me.
Well said Tom.
"You sleep safely in your beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm.

THUNDER!

Aporkalypse Now

Quote from: Tom Bennett on November 26, 2015, 08:45:17 pm

I played big time college football (okay medium time LOL) as a defensive player and I referee both high school and college football, so I feel like I know a little about the game.

You're right, there are many on here who are just spouting opinions, they don't know what they are talking about. Sure you don't want to disparage a kid who's trying his best, but the fact is we have several guys on our defense who are there because we needed bodies, not because they are SEC level defenders. I'm sorry but that's just the truth. We have a couple guys who aren't fast enough, or football intelligent enough, or measuring up in a couple of other important metrics (some of which can be improved through time in the program, and some of which they just are what they are) I'm not going to name names. but you can't coach someone to be faster.

Does anyone remember in the LSU game where the the LSU defensive back had a terrible angle and still almost caught Collins from behind anyway and a lot of people here were screaming that Collins just wasn't that fast? BS LSU's guy was just THAT fast, and we don't have anyone that fast on our defense. Speed makes all the difference in the world, if you're fast you can make mistakes and recover. If our guys make a mistake, they are out of the play, or worse they then commit a penalty trying to get back into the play.

They don't grow on trees, but to compete in the SEC you're going to need at least one DB who runs a sub 4.35 40 and can play with his back to the ball. If you have that guy, it opens up the rest of your defense so much.

One man in the back 7 has to be able to take one guy on by himself 90% of the game with some level of success, otherwise you're always going to be playing zone and that really limits what you can do defensively.

That is EXACTLY why we had such great success against LSU. We KNEW their QB was the weak link , so we could afford to put our corners on islands and send guys after the QB. Of course , knowing Razorback luck it wouldn't have surprised me if the kid got hot and torched us for 400 yards but , he didn't.

RazorWild

Quote from: Aporkalypse Now on November 26, 2015, 09:35:53 pm
I played big time college football (okay medium time LOL) as a defensive player and I referee both high school and college football, so I feel like I know a little about the game.

You're right, there are many on here who are just spouting opinions, they don't know what they are talking about. Sure you don't want to disparage a kid who's trying his best, but the fact is we have several guys on our defense who are there because we needed bodies, not because they are SEC level defenders. I'm sorry but that's just the truth. We have a couple guys who aren't fast enough, or football intelligent enough, or measuring up in a couple of other important metrics (some of which can be improved through time in the program, and some of which they just are what they are) I'm not going to name names. but you can't coach someone to be faster.

Does anyone remember in the LSU game where the the LSU defensive back had a terrible angle and still almost caught Collins from behind anyway and a lot of people here were screaming that Collins just wasn't that fast? BS LSU's guy was just THAT fast, and we don't have anyone that fast on our defense. Speed makes all the difference in the world, if you're fast you can make mistakes and recover. If our guys make a mistake, they are out of the play, or worse they then commit a penalty trying to get back into the play.

They don't grow on trees, but to compete in the SEC you're going to need at least one DB who runs a sub 4.35 40 and can play with his back to the ball. If you have that guy, it opens up the rest of your defense so much.

One man in the back 7 has to be able to take one guy on by himself 90% of the game with some level of success, otherwise you're always going to be playing zone and that really limits what you can do defensively.

That is EXACTLY why we had such great success against LSU. We KNEW their QB was the weak link , so we could afford to put our corners on islands and send guys after the QB. Of course , knowing Razorback luck it wouldn't have surprised me if the kid got hot and torched us for 400 yards but , he didn't.

we recruited guys just cuz we "needed bodies" is an ignorant statement.  We are playing freshman and sophomores on D.  They need to develop, and we are not Bama.  We don't get 4/5 star recruits.  You may be a defensive genius, but Rob Smith showed he can field a solid D when given veteran players.  Also, bad angle or not, Collins scored.....he's so slow

Aporkalypse Now

Quote from: RazorWild on November 26, 2015, 09:47:41 pm
we recruited guys just cuz we "needed bodies" is an ignorant statement.  We are playing freshman and sophomores on D.  They need to develop, and we are not Bama.  We don't get 4/5 star recruits.  You may be a defensive genius, but Rob Smith showed he can field a solid D when given veteran players.  Also, bad angle or not, Collins scored.....he's so slow

LOL I think you just completely misread everything I wrote.

First of all, it certainly is not an ignorant statement. We have quite a few players who were 2 star recruits or no star even on our roster, and if you think that was our coaching staff's first choice LOL.

Second of all, we certainly DO get four star recruits , and even an occasional 5 star. Obviously not as many as Alabama.

Third of all, last year's defense wasn't due to veteran players, it was due to NFL talent at three key positions.

Fourth of all, I didn't say Collins had a bad angle, nor did I say he was slow.

Oh , and finally I never claimed to be a defensive genius, AND I have defended Robb Smith many times here in just the last few days.

I choose to believe you just didn't understand a word I wrote earlier, rather than believing you intentionally misread it, but sonny stay on the porch.

DeltaHog66

Just my opinion..  Scheme/a little inexperience are to blame. Smith ain't perfect but it could be worse... I think coach b has put some pressure on him, based on his reactions to tough questions in pc's and he should.

Lake City Hog

1st of all, I NEVER said that I wanted Robb Smith fired! I just posed a simple "what if" scenario.

IF our coaches awarded scholarships "just because we needed bodies" we are in much worse shape than TALENT!!! I would be embarrassed to type such a statement!

Many of you very same people defended Ash to the point of calling RAZORBACK players DIII talent! You have no problem at all calling out the players, but will break your neck getting to a keyboard to defend a coach! You make some of the most pathetic excuses that I have ever heard.
I think that it is rash or bold(had to look that one up Tom) to downgrade our players just to prop up a coach. And, yes I do believe that coaches make mistakes. They make bad calls and they make bad decisions, even Arkansas coaches.

Guys, fricken UT Martin put up 28 points and OVER 500 yards on us! Not sure that I would call them an "elite" SEC offense! Keyboards were on fire that day with excuses flying fast and furious!

All we heard all fall was that we have a solid 2 deep on the D'Line, one of our deepest positions. A D'Line that would be the backbone of our defense. We heard that Josh Harris was a real playmaker. We heard that the secondary should be fine with only Turner and Mitchel lost.

To put our defensive woes solely on player talent is a rather chickenshit way to react! Ellis, Gaines, Winston, Wise, Loewen, Collins, Dean, Johnson, Hodge, Eugene, Floyd, Tolliver and anyone else that I may have missed all played last year and made solid contributions. To say that the loss of Flowers, Philon and Spaight caused them to drop 90 something spots as a defense is pretty farfetched.

Did ALL of those guys regress together? Is that even possible? In 1 year we go from holding TT to 7 points in the 2nd half to never forcing them to punt in the entire game? And all of that is due to being unable to replace 3 guys????

Hogsmo Kramer

Um that's true for a lot of coaches.

Just sayin.
Hogville = The Nexus of the Universe!!!!!

BigoBoys

Quote from: Lake City Hog on November 26, 2015, 10:28:58 pm
1st of all, I NEVER said that I wanted Robb Smith fired! I just posed a simple "what if" scenario.

IF our coaches awarded scholarships "just because we needed bodies" we are in much worse shape than TALENT!!! I would be embarrassed to type such a statement!

Many of you very same people defended Ash to the point of calling RAZORBACK players DIII talent! You have no problem at all calling out the players, but will break your neck getting to a keyboard to defend a coach! You make some of the most pathetic excuses that I have ever heard.
I think that it is rash or bold(had to look that one up Tom) to downgrade our players just to prop up a coach. And, yes I do believe that coaches make mistakes. They make bad calls and they make bad decisions, even Arkansas coaches.

Guys, fricken UT Martin put up 28 points and OVER 500 yards on us! Not sure that I would call them an "elite" SEC offense! Keyboards were on fire that day with excuses flying fast and furious!

All we heard all fall was that we have a solid 2 deep on the D'Line, one of our deepest positions. A D'Line that would be the backbone of our defense. We heard that Josh Harris was a real playmaker. We heard that the secondary should be fine with only Turner and Mitchel lost.

To put our defensive woes solely on player talent is a rather chickenshit way to react! Ellis, Gaines, Winston, Wise, Loewen, Collins, Dean, Johnson, Hodge, Eugene, Floyd, Tolliver and anyone else that I may have missed all played last year and made solid contributions. To say that the loss of Flowers, Philon and Spaight caused them to drop 90 something spots as a defense is pretty farfetched.

Did ALL of those guys regress together? Is that even possible? In 1 year we go from holding TT to 7 points in the 2nd half to never forcing them to punt in the entire game? And all of that is due to being unable to replace 3 guys????
Well then why did you start this thread if you didn't want to make a change?

Smokehouse

Quote from: Svrdhd on November 26, 2015, 07:04:03 pm

I'd take the Hogs with confidence against Kansas, Texas, Kansas St, and Iowa State in the Big 12. West Virginia would be a toss-up; they'd score, but not as well as they would have either of the previous two seasons so I think the Hogs could out score them. OU is probably a loss, unless the poor OU that shows up 1-2 times a year came to our game, OSU would be able to put J.W. Walsh in and let him run on our D all day, and they have a decent defense so that's probably a loss. Baylor and TCU are definite losses, unless we got TCU now with Boykin injured, but when do the Hogs get that kind of luck? We'd probably have them on the schedule when Boykin was at his healthiest.

We obviously lost to Tech as it is, but had we played them later in the year and weren't still adjusting to some big injuries and a new OC, I think the Hogs would win. Again, depends on the schedule.

All that to say, I think the Hogs would win 5 with a shot at 6 conference games in the Big 12. Add in some cupcakes from Texas like all the Big 12 plays and they'd probably have an easier time getting to bowl eligibility in the Big 12 than they did in the SEC this year.
QuoteSometimes a warrior just has to lay down on the ground there for a minute and just have a good bleed. Just bleed.

Words of wisdom from John Pelphrey.

Rzbakfromwaybak

Arkansas born, Arkansas bred, when I die I'll be a Razorback dead.

Lake City Hog

IF we are offering "quite a few" 2* and no* players Smith is in real trouble. Because if he has to have NFL talent to produce a middling defense he's not apt to make much headway with those guys!

I stand corrected! BB has indeed recruited (10) 2* (I don't count punters/kickers) players so far. Smith had better get a handle on this because it looks like things ain't gonna get much better talent wise!

GoHogs1091

Quote from: Hawgey-Davidson on November 26, 2015, 02:07:24 pm

They may consider Barry Odom, but I wouldn't be surprised if they hire Toledo's Matt Campbell.

Campbell has proved this season that he can take lesser talent and win against a SEC team.  That is what Missouri has to be able to do (play in the SEC with lesser talent).

MissippHog

Quote from: Lake City Hog on November 26, 2015, 10:28:58 pm

I think a lot of the defensive woes are a direct result of mediocre linebacker play.  And while Greenlaw has been great, I think many expected Brooks Ellis to become our Martrell Spaight this year and it just didn't happen.  Josh Williams going down hurt because there is not one other upperclassman LBer on the team.  All of the rest are freshmen or sophmores.  As for the entire defense.....don't we only have 4 or 5 seniors, total? 

RazorWild

Quote from: Aporkalypse Now on November 26, 2015, 10:01:06 pm

First of all, it certainly is not an ignorant statement. We have quite a few players who were 2 star recruits or no star even on our roster, and if you think that was our coaching staff's first choice LOL.

Second of all, we certainly DO get four star recruits , and even an occasional 5 star. Obviously not as many as Alabama.

Third of all, last year's defense wasn't due to veteran players, it was due to NFL talent at three key positions.

Oh , and finally I never claimed to be a defensive genius, AND I have defended Robb Smith many times here in just the last few days.

I choose to believe you just didn't understand a word I wrote earlier, rather than believing you intentionally misread it, but sonny stay on the porch.

Didn't misread anything.  Maybe I was just overwhelmed by your vast knowledge of Big Time Football.  I'll go back to my porch and study up on reading comprehension.

elksnort

Quote from: Aporkalypse Now on November 26, 2015, 10:01:06 pm

Good and fair post.