Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Interesting Tweet about our Bowl Possibilities

Started by WilsonHog, November 25, 2015, 03:10:42 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Medic821

Would love to see Hogs stomp on Pen St pride....

presidenthog

Quote from: MissippHog on November 25, 2015, 10:13:34 pm
The picture that guy posted isn't even his Yukon.  Just Googled it and apparently it's a picture from a Virginia newspaper.
I figured as much.

Smokehouse

Quote from: ricepig on November 25, 2015, 09:10:46 pm
Yeah, I kid about Memphis a lot, but I make over an average of twice a month and never have any problems, more when the Grizzlies are playing.

My in-laws live in Memphis and we used to stop there annually on the way to a trip to FL with a student group at the U of A. My car did get broken into once, and the odd thing was we were staying in one of the nice parts of town then after years of no problems parking in way more shady spots.

Whoever did it dumped my suitcase contents on the ground and stole my ipod, flip-flops, half-empty bottle of shampoo, and then went back into the car to steal some of the snacks we had collected for everybody to share during the carpool (apparently they enjoy skittles and pretzels but weren't a fan of cheez-its.) Then we roll up to a Christian ministry conference in Florida and the only sandals I could find that were large enough for my feet were Corona flip-flops. Good thing we're Presbyterian.
QuoteSometimes a warrior just has to lay down on the ground there for a minute and just have a good bleed. Just bleed.

Words of wisdom from John Pelphrey.

Smokehouse

Quote from: bvillepig on November 25, 2015, 10:14:40 pm
I also go to Memphis to eat about once a month and enjoy it.

However my wife and I landed at the Memphis airport after a trip to Cozumel one year.  I  took my luggage to my parking spot and found a pile of glass where the SUV used to be.  They found my vehicle about a month later trashed. 

Dirty Mike and the boys?
QuoteSometimes a warrior just has to lay down on the ground there for a minute and just have a good bleed. Just bleed.

Words of wisdom from John Pelphrey.

iHog

In a shining moment of foresight, I would not be at all disappointed with playing a spread team as our bowl opponent. One of the perks of going bowling is getting in extra practice for the young players; so it bodes well for us to get an extra month of practice for a spread team, not to mention the extra time for the staff to game-plan. I believe we start next year with 4 or 5 straight opponents who operate the spread. Think forward, guys.

Hog are ya

Quote from: elksnort on November 25, 2015, 05:40:26 pm
Penn State in the Music City Bowl would be my choice.

Yeah I'm surprised more folks haven't agreed with this.  Seems like a good match up for us, and against, (though not recent), a powerhouse that I can only ever remember meeting up against maybe once?  Also, Nashville not a bad destination compared to some of the other alternatives...  Add to that, Franklin got less and less likable at Vanderbilt and I wouldn't mind at all kicking his butt now that he's at Penn State!

LZH

Quote from: Lord of the Styes on November 25, 2015, 04:05:18 pm
That blocked field goal sure killed the bowl buzz. I was stocked up on sunblock.

You are probably right, and I was probably wrong. I had said that one loss would not really change our bowl status much. I had later read a thread that listed the SEC tie-ins to all of the bowl games these days. Frankly, I have absolutely no idea what the pecking order is from the Belk Bowl to the Music City Bowl to the Texas Bowl, or what the payout is for any of them.

But that was my thinking of how the old Cotton Bowl was ran. Several years ago Arkansas (especially with a tiebreaker over LSU and Ole Miss) could sneak into the Cotton Bowl with an 8-4 record. It isn't like that anymore.

Well, in any event, we can still win out and wind up with eight victories on the season. That is an improvement.

MissippHog

Quote from: LZH on November 26, 2015, 03:50:54 am
You are probably right, and I was probably wrong. I had said that one loss would not really change our bowl status much. I had later read a thread that listed the SEC tie-ins to all of the bowl games these days. Frankly, I have absolutely no idea what the pecking order is from the Belk Bowl to the Music City Bowl to the Texas Bowl, or what the payout is for any of them.

But that was my thinking of how the old Cotton Bowl was ran. Several years ago Arkansas (especially with a tiebreaker over LSU and Ole Miss) could sneak into the Cotton Bowl with an 8-4 record. It isn't like that anymore.

Well, in any event, we can still win out and wind up with eight victories on the season. That is an improvement.
I think the payout will be the same to all SEC schools.  They throw it all in the pot and divide it up evenly among all 14 schools.  Also, I think the SEC front office decides on where everyone is going regarding the smaller bowls.

Hogfaniam

Quote from: Lake City Hog on November 25, 2015, 03:34:16 pm
ESPN has the Hogs either in the Belk Bowl against Duke or the Outback Bowl against Northwestern.
I would much rather see us in one of these matchups.

Here's what the experts say:

ESPN (Mark Schlabach): Belk Bowl vs Duke (Wednesday, December 30, 2:30 pm - Charlotte)

ESPN (Brett McMurphy): Outback Bowl vs Northwestern (Friday, January 1, 11:00 am - Tampa)

SB Nation: Liberty Bowl vs Kansas State (Saturday, January 2, 2:20 pm - Memphis)

Fox Sports: Liberty Bowl vs Kansas State (Saturday, January 2, 2:20 pm - Memphis)

CBS Sports: Texas Bowl vs West Virginia (Tuesday, December 29, 8:00 pm - Houston)

Bleacher Report: Music City Bowl vs Penn State (Wednesday, December 30, 6:00 pm - Nashville)

in other words, no one knows
"My dog Sam eats purple flowers"

HoopS

Last year, there were various rumors of different bowls flying around on the Sunday the bids came out. Im guessing that it'll shift a few more times now between now and next Sunday.

SpanHog

QuoteCBS Sports: Texas Bowl vs West Virginia (Tuesday, December 29, 8:00 pm - Houston)

don't know why Brad Paisley hates us so much since we never played WV couchburners before, (unless it was back in the 20's or 30's).
Maybe time to give him a reason.
proud graduate of the U of A 2013

hogcard1964

Anything but the Independence, belk or Liberty.

GoHogs1091

Quote from: Hogfaniam on November 26, 2015, 12:27:15 pm
in other words, no one knows

Kansas State currently only has 4 wins.  Even if Kansas State gets to 5 wins, I just don't see the Liberty Bowl taking a 5 win team.

ricepig

Quote from: GoHogs1091 on November 26, 2015, 05:20:21 pm
Kansas State currently only has 4 wins.  Even if Kansas State gets to 5 wins, I just don't see the Liberty Bowl taking a 5 win team.

And they have two games remaining, dressing you see that?

GoHogs1091

Quote from: ricepig on November 26, 2015, 05:30:15 pm
And they have two games remaining, dressing you see that?

Their last game is against West Virginia.  Kansas State probably won't win against West Virginia.

ricepig

Quote from: GoHogs1091 on November 26, 2015, 05:33:33 pm
Their last game is against West Virginia.  Kansas State probably won't win against West Virginia.

Probably, such definitive reasoning, lol.

Buck Brewer

Libetry Bowl would be best for attendance and I would prefer Va Tech.

Liberty Bowl has a good tailgating area these days. But if Memphis ever got a decent, smaller enclosed stadium adjacent to Beale the Liberty Bowl would be so much better.

ricepig

Quote from: Buck Brewer on November 27, 2015, 08:32:37 am
Libetry Bowl would be best for attendance and I would prefer Va Tech.

Liberty Bowl has a good tailgating area these days. But if Memphis ever got a decent, smaller enclosed stadium adjacent to Beale the Liberty Bowl would be so much better.

Lol, they are lucky to keep the lights on it that city, I enjoy Memphis, but I wouldn't live there.

JONAS

Iwastherein1969

I don't care if we go to the Idaho Bowl as long as we play Texas Tech and their micro-pekker of a coach, Klitt (I wear shades in the rain) Dingleberry one more time....our O line would be so fired up that those dirt bags from west Tejas wouldn't know what hit them
The long Grey line will never fail our country.

Großer Kriegschwein

Quote from: Iwastherein1969 on November 27, 2015, 09:06:13 pm
I don't care if we go to the Idaho Bowl as long as we play Texas Tech and their micro-pekker of a coach, Klitt (I wear shades in the rain) Dingleberry one more time....our O line would be so fired up that those dirt bags from west Tejas wouldn't know what hit them

They got us before we collectively got it figured out.

Would not end the same way a second time. Wonder if jackass would even bother walking to midfield after the arse whoopin.
This is my non-signature signature.

Ugly Uncle

Quote from: ZERO on November 25, 2015, 03:44:46 pm
I guess I don't think the same way. I'd love another chance to show Texas Tech that they ain't shite. And another game vs. Kansas State would even up the all-time series if we won, so I'm all for that one. At the end of the day, I just want another Bowl win to end the season on a good note and to improve our dismal Bowl record.

If we win our bowl game this year it will be 3 in a row.  That would be a record.  We have never won 3 bowl games in a row.
Retired Radio Host

DeltaBoy

If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

Jonteviosk

Quote from: Danny J on November 25, 2015, 04:59:54 pm
I would prefer not to play a spread team at all but IF we have to I would love another shot at TTU.

I WOULD LOVE TT this time we stomp them like we should have the first time and shut Kingsbury up once and for all....
You never know in advance what the outcome of any given situation is so either get busy living or get busy dying.