Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Why should AA/Ty/Rafe/Ricky be the starter in 2016?

Started by Lake City Hog, November 25, 2015, 11:19:21 am

Previous topic - Next topic

DiamondHogFan

Quote from: RockyMtnHog on November 25, 2015, 03:04:04 pm
Rafe Peavey will be lucky to ever see the field.  AA will be the starter and have a lot of growing pains next year.
Which means hogville will be calling for the backup...and maybe the backup's backup...early and often.

michaels

Why has everyone written off peavy?
Do we even know who 3rd string qb is?
I feel good about any of them, especially with the talent returning & enos system

tusksincolorado

Quote from: Tom Bennett on November 25, 2015, 11:49:53 am
Three of those four quarterbacks have never taken a snap in a college game.

Austin is 9-19 for 188 yards with an interception and a touchdown in seven games over two years. Largely mop-up duty, save the Ole Miss game last year when he took some meaningful snaps after BA was injured.

How well do any of the four command a huddle?

How much of a leader will they be in offseason workouts?

What about in the film room? Which one is the quickest study?

Which one has the best release?

Which one has the best mechanics?

Which one is the most poised?

Finally, it's one thing to be the high school stud in Charleston, AR; Bolivar, MO; Fayetteville, AR; or even Ventura, CA. It's a little bit different being the stud on the road in Tuscaloosa, AL when 105,000 people are screaming at the top of their lungs, the 'Bama deep backs have your receivers covered like a blanket, and their defensive ends are in your face. Who's THAT guy gonna be?

Either Wonder Dog, or Superman!
Screw it! I'm an old angry male, live with it!

Hog_Swanson

Quote from: Sanctified Swine on November 25, 2015, 02:48:39 pm
Regardless of who it ends up being, they will have a heck of a receiving corp to work with. Hatcher, Morgan, Cornelius, Reed and Sprinkle/Henry... wow!

Next year there will be a great STORY for Razorbacks... we will have an A+ rating and there will be PEAVE and joy in hog Town on 12/3/16!...
I see what you did there...+1
Quote from: JIMMY BOARFFETT on February 08, 2018, 08:00:41 pm

I have gonads, and as soon as my wife gets back I'll prove it.  I keep 'em in her purse. >:(

Quote from: PorkSoda on Today at 04:03:25 pm
Okay, you are right, I should have done that first instead of going off of what other people said was said.
So basically all my complaining was for nothing and I'm a dumbass.  I should have just watch the presser BEFORE commenting.

TexomaRazorback

If someone other than AA gets the call he definitely earned it.  AA is the man until proven lesser.

HogPsych

I'm not going to write paragraphs but everything I have seen (practices/scrimmages I have watched) and heard indicate Storey and Peevey are not likely to be serious contenders, save injury. I think it will be Allen, knows the offense better, or Town, highest ceiling and potential (size, arm strength).

popcornhog

Quote from: Lake City Hog on November 25, 2015, 11:19:21 am
Please don't just say "XXXXXX should be the starter cause I like him" give some history/evidence of his credentials that would warrant such a shot.

Personally, I think that it a 2 man race---AA and Storey.

AA--Led Fayetteville High School to back-to-back 7A state championships and was named MVP of both championship games ... Selected as Arkansas' 2012 Gatorade Player of the Year following senior season ... Rated the 17th-ranked pro-style quarterback in the country and No. 3 player in Arkansas by 247Sports.com, and No. 3 player in the state according to Rivals.com ... Named all-state player as a senior, recording 233-of-366 passing for 3,593 yards and 29 touchdowns, and added 200 yards and 10 touchdowns rushing to lead Fayetteville to a 10-3 mark and the state title.

He has seen action in five Razorback games ... Went 8-of-16 passing for 153 yards and one rushing touchdown.

Storey--He was a consensus four-star prospect by Rivals, ESPN, Scout and 247Sports ... Was the No. 6 pro-style quarterback in the nation. Led Charleston to back-to-back perfect seasons and Arkansas class 3A state championships, earning State Championship MVP as both a junior and senior. Also won a state championship as a freshman linebacker in 2011 ... Ended his career with 29 consecutive wins.  Finished his varsity career with 12,856 passing yards and 154 touchdown passes.

Named to the 2015 Parade All-American First Team at quarterback.

I do not mean to minimize the talents of either Town or Peavey, this is nothing more than my opinion based on information that I could find.

At the very least, it sounds like the options are good.

I hope that there doesn't have to be too much musical chairs prior to conference play.
WPS

DoctorSusscrofa

One of them should get it because the coaching staff (after watching practice) thinks they've earned it.
Fan of Razorback Football, Baseball, Track, Gymnastics, Softball - M Barton

rzrbaxfan

I don't know who it will be and I can't even pick a favorite....and I like this situation.  When was the last time when we were breaking in a new QB and could make a case for 4 different guys getting the job? 

riccoar

Ask Robert Shields who it will be.  When he answers, you'll have one name that is definitely not going to be the starter.

popcornhog

Quote from: DoctorSusscrofa on November 30, 2015, 11:59:59 am
One of them should get it because the coaching staff (after watching practice) thinks they've earned it.

Obviously.

WPS

hawginbigd1

My wish would be that if there is not a huge difference in the 4 that Peavey would get the nod! I think every team in the country can be it's most dangerous with a true dual threat QB! I don't know what everyone else thinks but I think AA is too short! Not the 90's rap star  ;D, but not tall enough! I know about Drew Brees, but He is the exception not the rule!

hogsanity

Quote from: hawginbigd1 on November 30, 2015, 12:13:42 pm
My wish would be that if there is not a huge difference in the 4 that Peavey would get the nod! I think every team in the country can be it's most dangerous with a true dual threat QB! I don't know what everyone else thinks but I think AA is too short! Not the 90's rap star  ;D, but not tall enough! I know about Drew Brees, but He is the exception not the rule!

I think I do not want a read option game.  IF the 4 are pretty equal, then I want RT, because he faced the best competition of the 4 in HS.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

Boss Hog in the Arkansas

Our stable of quarterbacks is on par with almost any in the country. Rafe Peavey, Ty Storey, Ricky Towns, and Austin Allen were all highly regarded 4* quarterbacks coming out of high school. We should all look forward to the best qb battle to take place on the hill in quite some time! #WPS
That's right, you don't want to be the man to replace the man.  You want to be the man to replace Rory Segrest.

code red

1.  Because they are Razorback Quarterbacks.
2.  Because Brandon is leaving.
"If what you did yesterday seems big, you haven't done anything today."  Dr. Lou

ShadowTheHedgehog

lstewart

As mentioned, this may be the first time in history the hogs have had four 4-star QB's competing for the position in an open competition. You have to assume someone will have to clearly beat out Austin, since he has been the back-up a couple of years. Since he has been competing against Peavey for the past 2 years, I assume he has outplayed Peavey up to this point. Seems like I recall hearing early in fall camp that Storey's arm was not as strong as the others, and maybe was not as good as expected? Not sure about that. Town is an unknown at this point. So, assuming no injuries, my guess is that Austin earns the job, and the other 3 will mix it up to earn the second spot. Probably will have one or two transfer, or maybe one change position. I doubt if we will have all 4 at QB by September, 2016. Who knows, we are probably due with the law of averages to have a QB get hurt.

Paul

Quote from: Country Stylz on November 25, 2015, 12:47:45 pm
Since I was wrong about Brandon Allen, I'm gonna take a new approach this year. I'm gonna trust the coaches.
Well done

Snizzzo

I would feel much better if a 4th yr Jr took the lead in spring and never looked back over a RsFr getting the nod in late August. The coaches will put the best Qb on the field.

gawntrail

Quote from: HogWall Jackson on November 25, 2015, 12:38:16 pm
AA has a little head start just being here and playing a few downs and the Reps that he got in Practice as the Back Up QB. Storey and Town took most of their H.S. Snaps from the Shotgun with only limited experience here under Center. Say what you will, but playing under Center is different. I would bet that RT got some under Center work with the Private QB Coach he had back in California. It will be a spirited competition this Spring between AA and Town, Ty Storey could be better than we think. I just haven't seen much of him?

At this point we have Three good willing Suspects, maybe Four.... I do believe that we can find ONE!

Town played in an offense a lot like ours.  St. Bonaventure is Division 5.  Long Beach Poly is Division 1.  But, the divisions are much more regionally based than we have here or in TX.  I would say they are a Shiloh Christian that plays Rogers, BVille, FVille, et al.  Well coached and financed.  Upper middle class socioeconomics. 

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=5hwHjhVDJMg

Lots of 7 on 7 in that, but, you can see the kid has the basics and then some.  Everybody wanted him coming out so there is that.

pigroots

I hope our Defensive back 7 make it difficult on all of them so the cream rises to the top and our defense improves. Right now they might all look like rock stars

razorsharptusk

GO HOGS!!

HF#1

I figure the job is Austin's to lose.  Bielema has seemed to be pleased with his progress the last two years and has stated as much in a couple of his press conferences. 

If I had to guess I'd say this will be the pecking order unless someone transfers. I'm not saying Austin couldn't get beat out but it doesn't seem likely.  Bielema likes experience and knowledge of the playbook, maybe more so than pure talent.

1. Austin Allen
2. Rafe Peavy
3. Ty Storey
4. Ricky Town
5. Cole Kelley
"We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid."  <br /><br />Benjamin Franklin

HF#1

Something else to consider...

Given our situation at RB next year and the amount of WR's coming back, I suspect we will sling it a little more than we did this season.  Don't get me wrong, we will still run the ball with authority but our strength lies with the WR group.

This could factor into the QB competition.  The guy who can establish chemistry and timing with the WR's, may win out.
"We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid."  <br /><br />Benjamin Franklin

The_Iceman

Quote from: gawntrail on November 30, 2015, 02:30:13 pm
Town played in an offense a lot like ours.  St. Bonaventure is Division 5.  Long Beach Poly is Division 1.  But, the divisions are much more regionally based than we have here or in TX.  I would say they are a Shiloh Christian that plays Rogers, BVille, FVille, et al.  Well coached and financed.  Upper middle class socioeconomics. 

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=5hwHjhVDJMg

Lots of 7 on 7 in that, but, you can see the kid has the basics and then some.  Everybody wanted him coming out so there is that.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HoX3jMeHi6M

These are from his senior year. I think the kid will be a star for us if he wins the job this year.

root_hawg

AA will be the starter, Town or Storey backing up but you never know but it will come from one of these 3

jkstock04

I say best man for the job should win.

But, in light of this thread I'll play along. When an injured Brandon Allen gets the nod over a healthy Austin Allen that is very telling to me...also when Austin Allen does get in a game? Seems to me he's pretty limited to what they let him do.

We'll see. I know most think this is already in stone but I believe the qb sort is wide open after the bowl game.
Thanks for the F Shack. 

Love,

Dirty Mike and the Boys

RME

Should Peavey be named the starter, the implosion on this board would be a sight to see.

Iwastherein1969

Quote from: GrizzlyRider07 on November 25, 2015, 11:26:30 am
+1 I am right there with you. Everyone seems to jumping on the Ricky Town bandwagon  and the kid hasn't done a think in college except get scared away from a little competition and transfer to another school which happens to be ARKANSAS.
uh, you don't know that's why he left...Town was being coached by a looney tune alcoholic who had no clue where he was at...maybe Town was made sick by the actions of Sarkisian....we shall see
The long Grey line will never fail our country.

MTBrookHog

I say give it the the ole Houston Dork Nutt test. Let all four play the first game and then let one of the receivers be Quarterback!

Aporkalypse Now

Quote from: HF#1 on November 30, 2015, 03:54:12 pm
Something else to consider...

Given our situation at RB next year and the amount of WR's coming back, I suspect we will sling it a little more than we did this season.  Don't get me wrong, we will still run the ball with authority but our strength lies with the WR group.

This could factor into the QB competition.  The guy who can establish chemistry and timing with the WR's, may win out.

I disagree with that, as we have seen over and over again, RB is a position that youngsters can dominate at. We won't be a sling it around offense with a first year starter at QB regardless of which QB (Towns) it is.

Hogopolis

Every so often a special talent emerges.   I recall seeing Carson Palmer, Russell Wilson and Phillip Rivers as freshmen and you could tell they where going to be stars.   Ricky Town is the same.  Vs top level competition in HS he has shown he can make all throws, accurate, strong arm, throws on the run, excellent footwork, right size, every one says he has a high football IQ.   The other QBs are good, but none as polished out of high school as RT.   RT will without a doubt be the starter next season. 

Cinco de Hogo

Austin Allen, because their is no evidence to point any other way.

What's easier to guess at...

We will struggle early, probably to a 3-3 record and everybody will be second guessing everything.  Then we will catch fire and end up 8-4 for a hefty one win improvement. 

And we will get ready for 2017!

Aporkalypse Now

Quote from: Cinco de Hogo on November 30, 2015, 07:45:59 pm
Austin Allen, because their is no evidence to point any other way.

What's easier to guess at...

We will struggle early, probably to a 3-3 record and everybody will be second guessing everything.  Then we will catch fire and end up 8-4 for a hefty one win improvement. 

And we will get ready for 2017!

Austin Allen because he's the #2 now, even though Towns couldn't be in the rotation at all b/c of red shirting this season? Interesting.

Lake City Hog

Quote from: Hogopolis on November 30, 2015, 07:28:08 pm
Every so often a special talent emerges.   I recall seeing Carson Palmer, Russell Wilson and Phillip Rivers as freshmen and you could tell they where going to be stars.   Ricky Town is the same.  Vs top level competition in HS he has shown he can make all throws, accurate, strong arm, throws on the run, excellent footwork, right size, every one says he has a high football IQ.   The other QBs are good, but none as polished out of high school as RT.   RT will without a doubt be the starter next season. 

WOW! This kid has NEVER thrown a pass in a college football game and you have anointed him as a "special talent". How is it that he was only ranked a 4* just like AA, just like TS and just like RP???
Some of you folks should coll your jets just a bit and quit putting such unreasonable expectations on these kids. Here's one more 4* from that same year---Drew Lock--yeah the kid playing for Missouri that kinda looked lost against SEC defenses.

Pig In The City

Town was running a fairly sophisticated offense for high school. He was making several different types of throws...screens, short to intermediate routes. He was working under center quite a bit. I'm not sure how much rafe and storey have worked under center.  It will come down to who can manage the game the best and that is more about what is between the ears than anything else.  We will have depth at the position for the first time since CBB stepped on campus. Should be fun to watch the competition unfold.

Cinco de Hogo

Quote from: Aporkalypse Now on November 30, 2015, 07:51:53 pm
Austin Allen because he's the #2 now, even though Towns couldn't be in the rotation at all b/c of red shirting this season? Interesting.

Who was running the scout team?  Probably not much difference in what Town has been doing from what Storey and Peavey have been doing. 

lahawg1

I am pulling for the QB that can win us 15 games next year.

carolinahogger

Quote from: Lake City Hog on November 25, 2015, 11:24:32 am
Such a thought provoking answer and original too.

It is the only answer which matters.  Too bad if it rained on your idea of a thread.

Biggus Piggus

The notion that Arkansas's QB competition is between Austin Allen and Ty Storey is pure fantasy, ungrounded in the barest thread of fact. But you sure do love to start threads.
[CENSORED]!

KlubhouseKonnected

If Auburn is dirty so is Gus. You can't have it both ways. Deal with it.

Biggus Piggus

In truth, Arkansas's starting quarterback is almost certainly going to be Austin Allen. He will be a fourth-year junior. This is a pro-style offense with a lot of complexity. We might have a hundred more "who's the QB" threads in the next month alone, but they are all moot.

Ricky Town has experience with this kind of offense, but his experience is likely less than Rafe Peavey's, who has been on campus for a while. Ty Storey might be last in line because he has the most to learn (until another freshman arrives on campus).

Austin Allen has the best chance of being able to duplicate Brandon's mastery of the offense, by a longshot. It's not even remotely close, guys. Arkansas has to prepare backups, of course, for future development and in case of injuries. We can talk and talk about how Austin has the QB position sewn up, but he also could go down in game one, or in the offseason.
[CENSORED]!

Albert Einswine

Read the entire thread and I continue to be fascinated by the long tradition of a percentage of Hogville posters who refuse to learn player names.

It's Ricky Town... Town... not Towns... Town!
"Funny thing, I become a hell of a good fisherman when the trout decide to commit suicide." ~ John D. Voelker

PorkRinds

Quote from: Albert Einswine on December 01, 2015, 08:33:43 am
Read the entire thread and I continue to be fascinated by the long tradition of a percentage of Hogville posters who refuse to learn player names.

It's Ricky Town... Town... not Towns... Town!

Won't you take me to, the funky Towns?

KlubhouseKonnected

Quote from: KennyForAD on November 25, 2015, 02:41:06 pm
May I answer for him?

Austin Allen:  BA's little brother and alter ego
Ricky Town:   Plays drums
Ty Story:       Cute name
Rafe Peavy:   Cuter name

Judging on name alone, I'll have to go with RT because he has the best catch phrase potential.

It's two minute drill situation, we are down by 4 and need to go 75 yards for the winning TD... "It's time to take these boys to Ricky Town!"

KlubhouseKonnected

Aporkalypse Now

Quote from: Lake City Hog on November 30, 2015, 08:37:13 pm
WOW! This kid has NEVER thrown a pass in a college football game and you have anointed him as a "special talent". How is it that he was only ranked a 4* just like AA, just like TS and just like RP???
Some of you folks should coll your jets just a bit and quit putting such unreasonable expectations on these kids. Here's one more 4* from that same year---Drew Lock--yeah the kid playing for Missouri that kinda looked lost against SEC defenses.

Um no that kid did NOT look lost against SEC defenses, actually he looked pretty good for a true freshman with no help around him.

And by the way, Town was rated the #127 player in the nation, the #5 QB, that's not exactly chopped liver.

I think it's funny how mad some fans get when someone suggests a person other than their favorite will be the starting QB.

The_Iceman

Quote from: Biggus Piggus on December 01, 2015, 08:07:37 am
In truth, Arkansas's starting quarterback is almost certainly going to be Austin Allen. He will be a fourth-year junior. This is a pro-style offense with a lot of complexity. We might have a hundred more "who's the QB" threads in the next month alone, but they are all moot.

Ricky Town has experience with this kind of offense, but his experience is likely less than Rafe Peavey's, who has been on campus for a while. Ty Storey might be last in line because he has the most to learn (until another freshman arrives on campus).

Austin Allen has the best chance of being able to duplicate Brandon's mastery of the offense, by a longshot. It's not even remotely close, guys. Arkansas has to prepare backups, of course, for future development and in case of injuries. We can talk and talk about how Austin has the QB position sewn up, but he also could go down in game one, or in the offseason.

As of day one of spring ball, Austin will be taking 1st team reps. But I refuse to believe that this staff will just anoint him the starter if someone behind him clearly is making the better throws and has more talent. Austin will have to win the job.

KlubhouseKonnected

Quote from: hawginbigd1 on November 30, 2015, 12:13:42 pm

If AA was Too $hort he would a wall full of platinum and gold. He would also probably would have a bad back and filthy junk.

DeltaBoy

If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.