Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Why should AA/Ty/Rafe/Ricky be the starter in 2016?

Started by Lake City Hog, November 25, 2015, 11:19:21 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Lake City Hog

Please don't just say "XXXXXX should be the starter cause I like him" give some history/evidence of his credentials that would warrant such a shot.

Personally, I think that it a 2 man race---AA and Storey.

AA--Led Fayetteville High School to back-to-back 7A state championships and was named MVP of both championship games ... Selected as Arkansas' 2012 Gatorade Player of the Year following senior season ... Rated the 17th-ranked pro-style quarterback in the country and No. 3 player in Arkansas by 247Sports.com, and No. 3 player in the state according to Rivals.com ... Named all-state player as a senior, recording 233-of-366 passing for 3,593 yards and 29 touchdowns, and added 200 yards and 10 touchdowns rushing to lead Fayetteville to a 10-3 mark and the state title.

He has seen action in five Razorback games ... Went 8-of-16 passing for 153 yards and one rushing touchdown.

Storey--He was a consensus four-star prospect by Rivals, ESPN, Scout and 247Sports ... Was the No. 6 pro-style quarterback in the nation. Led Charleston to back-to-back perfect seasons and Arkansas class 3A state championships, earning State Championship MVP as both a junior and senior. Also won a state championship as a freshman linebacker in 2011 ... Ended his career with 29 consecutive wins.  Finished his varsity career with 12,856 passing yards and 154 touchdown passes.

Named to the 2015 Parade All-American First Team at quarterback.

I do not mean to minimize the talents of either Town or Peavey, this is nothing more than my opinion based on information that I could find.

RME

Quote from: Lake City Hog on November 25, 2015, 11:19:21 am
Please don't just say "XXXXXX should be the starter cause I like him" give some history/evidence of his credentials that would warrant such a shot.

AA--Led Fayetteville High School to back-to-back 7A state championships and was named MVP of both championship games ... Selected as Arkansas' 2012 Gatorade Player of the Year following senior season ... Rated the 17th-ranked pro-style quarterback in the country and No. 3 player in Arkansas by 247Sports.com, and No. 3 player in the state according to Rivals.com ... Named all-state player as a senior, recording 233-of-366 passing for 3,593 yards and 29 touchdowns, and added 200 yards and 10 touchdowns rushing to lead Fayetteville to a 10-3 mark and the state title.

He has seen action in five Razorback games ... Went 8-of-16 passing for 153 yards and one rushing touchdown.

Storey--He was a consensus four-star prospect by Rivals, ESPN, Scout and 247Sports ... Was the No. 6 pro-style quarterback in the nation. Led Charleston to back-to-back perfect seasons and Arkansas class 3A state championships, earning State Championship MVP as both a junior and senior. Also won a state championship as a freshman linebacker in 2011 ... Ended his career with 29 consecutive wins.  Finished his varsity career with 12,856 passing yards and 154 touchdown passes.

I do not mean to minimize the talents of either Town or Peavey, this is nothing more than my opinion based on information that I could find.

_________ should be the starter because the coaches who are around these guys for hours every day say he should be the starter.

Lake City Hog

GrizzlyRider07

Quote from: Lake City Hog on November 25, 2015, 11:19:21 am

+1 I am right there with you. Everyone seems to jumping on the Ricky Town bandwagon  and the kid hasn't done a think in college except get scared away from a little competition and transfer to another school which happens to be ARKANSAS.
Dont Talk, Just Act.
Don't Say, Just Show.
Don't Promise, Just Prove!

RME

Quote from: Lake City Hog on November 25, 2015, 11:24:32 am
Such a thought provoking answer and original too.

I mean, what do you want? Other than Mike Irwin, what percentage of Hogville users have seen these guys in practice, in the film room, working out, etc? We know nothing but what we've seen in games and what the coaches and media tell us. This thread is just another dead horse to beat.

Big Boi

Quote from: RyanMallettsEgo on November 25, 2015, 11:23:14 am

_________ should be the starter because the coaches who are around these guys for hours every day say he should be the starter.
This a forum for entertainment, opinion, and discussion. C'mon man

Bacon_Bitz

LA Tech and TCU will be breaking in new QBs too.  Texas State will be a cupcake.  Texas A&M in Jerry World will be tough for whomever the starter is that early in their career, but maybe somebody rises to the occasion -- keeps happening for A&M in that game so maybe it's our turn to surprise with a new QB.  We should be 3-2 no matter after Alcorn State, possibly 4-1, and I hope by then we've got a steady hand at QB.

I think we are really going to miss BA's scrambling ability.  He has made so many tough throws coming out of the pocket/stepping up in the pocket this year that might be sacks for a first year QB next year.

Razorpigg

Quote from: GrizzlyRider07 on November 25, 2015, 11:26:30 am
+1 I am right there with you. Everyone seems to jumping on the Ricky Town bandwagon  and the kid hasn't done a think in college except get scared away from a little competition and transfer to another school which happens to be ARKANSAS.

Way to speculate there Grizzly.... Exactly how do you know he left USC because he was "scared away" from competition?  How do you know it wasnt because of the the offense of Sarkisian?  Or the fact Sark was drunk all the time?  I personally have no idea why he left USC, and neither do you.

Bacon_Bitz

Ricky Town could be the next Josh Rosen or the next Drew Lock.  We don't know yet.

WilsonHog

Three of those four quarterbacks have never taken a snap in a college game.

Austin is 9-19 for 188 yards with an interception and a touchdown in seven games over two years. Largely mop-up duty, save the Ole Miss game last year when he took some meaningful snaps after BA was injured.

How well do any of the four command a huddle?

How much of a leader will they be in offseason workouts?

What about in the film room? Which one is the quickest study?

Which one has the best release?

Which one has the best mechanics?

Which one is the most poised?

Finally, it's one thing to be the high school stud in Charleston, AR; Bolivar, MO; Fayetteville, AR; or even Ventura, CA. It's a little bit different being the stud on the road in Tuscaloosa, AL when 105,000 people are screaming at the top of their lungs, the 'Bama deep backs have your receivers covered like a blanket, and their defensive ends are in your face. Who's THAT guy gonna be?

rljjr

Quote from: Tom Bennett on November 25, 2015, 11:49:53 am
Three of those four quarterbacks have never taken a snap in a college game.

Austin is 9-19 for 188 yards with an interception and a touchdown in seven games over two years. Largely mop-up duty, save the Ole Miss game last year when he took some meaningful snaps after BA was injured.

How well do any of the four command a huddle?

How much of a leader will they be in offseason workouts?

What about in the film room? Which one is the quickest study?

Which one has the best release?

Which one has the best mechanics?

Which one is the most poised?

Finally, it's one thing to be the high school stud in Charleston, AR; Bolivar, MO; Fayetteville, AR; or even Ventura, CA. It's a little bit different being the stud on the road in Tuscaloosa, AL when 105,000 people are screaming at the top of their lungs, the 'Bama deep backs have your receivers covered like a blanket, and their defensive ends are in your face. Who's THAT guy gonna be?

Spot on, Tom. Totally with you. It's exciting though. I'm looking forward to the competition and the coaches figuring out who the guy is going to be. All I know is the work that Coach Enos has done with BA is light years from where he has been so the future is bright regardless of the choice. Nothing beats game experience and we'll have to grow with the next QB.

Lake City Hog

Tom, I think that you are right. I think that the guy that really steps up in the off-season is the guy that wins the job.
Which guy will take his own personal time to workout with the receivers and the new center? Which guy will throw hundreds of passes trying to develop timing with our receivers? Which guy will drive Enos crazy with film study and questions?

Part of my thought process with my 2 picks is that both have won the BIG game in their career. Winning a State Championship tells me that the kid has some ability to handle pressure and rises to the occasion. Now, I also understand that having a great team around you is a HUGE factor as well as the teams that you played.

Calling All Hogs

I'd be surprised if Austin Allen isn't the starter based on what CBB has done in the past. But the past didn't include major input from Enos so anything is possible.

Hogarusa

I saw Ty Storey and Austin Allen both play 1 game in high school.  I saw a Rafe highlight youtube video, and watched a Ricky Town amateur  Jon Gruden hogville video.

with those qualifications, i am unable to provide an answer as to why should one start over the other as none of it will be factored into the competition
I'll ride the wave where it takes me

WilsonHog

A little info on Town:

"He made 2014 Prep Star All-American Dream Team, Cal-Hi Sports All-State third team, Tacoma News Tribune Western 100, Orange County Register Fab 15 second team, Ventura County Star All-County and All-Marmonte League first team as a senior quarterback at St. Bonaventure High in Ventura (Calif.). He completed 192-of-290 passes (66.2%) for 2,639 yards and 28 TDs with just 3 interceptions in 2014 (he did not throw an interception in his first 8 games)."

"As a junior in 2013, he was Cal-Hi Sports All-State Junior third team, All-County, All-CIF and All-League while throwing for 2,500 yards (70.0% completions) and 30 TDs."

"As a 2012 sophomore, he made Cal-Hi Sports All-State Sophomore first team. In his 3-year career as a starter, he threw for 2,040 yards with 76 TDs. Current Trojans Bryce Dixon and Davonte Nunnery also prepped at St. Bonaventure."

GrizzlyRider07

Quote from: Razorpigg on November 25, 2015, 11:44:34 am
Way to speculate there Grizzly.... Exactly how do you know he left USC because he was "scared away" from competition?  How do you know it wasnt because of the the offense of Sarkisian?  Or the fact Sark was drunk all the time?  I personally have no idea why he left USC, and neither do you.
The kid went through the whole recruiting process so he knew what type of offense they ran before he decided to commit there. He was third on the depth chart through the spring and the team was getting ready to be handed over next year to the kid in front of him. I know this because a guy I know from there gave me the info. He's an alum from there and has a nephew that plays for them now
Dont Talk, Just Act.
Don't Say, Just Show.
Don't Promise, Just Prove!

HogWall Jackson

Quote from: Tom Bennett on November 25, 2015, 12:16:02 pm
A little info on Town:

"He made 2014 Prep Star All-American Dream Team, Cal-Hi Sports All-State third team, Tacoma News Tribune Western 100, Orange County Register Fab 15 second team, Ventura County Star All-County and All-Marmonte League first team as a senior quarterback at St. Bonaventure High in Ventura (Calif.). He completed 192-of-290 passes (66.2%) for 2,639 yards and 28 TDs with just 3 interceptions in 2014 (he did not throw an interception in his first 8 games)."

"As a junior in 2013, he was Cal-Hi Sports All-State Junior third team, All-County, All-CIF and All-League while throwing for 2,500 yards (70.0% completions) and 30 TDs."

"As a 2012 sophomore, he made Cal-Hi Sports All-State Sophomore first team. In his 3-year career as a starter, he threw for 2,040 yards with 76 TDs. Current Trojans Bryce Dixon and Davonte Nunnery also prepped at St. Bonaventure."

AA has a little head start just being here and playing a few downs and the Reps that he got in Practice as the Back Up QB. Storey and Town took most of their H.S. Snaps from the Shotgun with only limited experience here under Center. Say what you will, but playing under Center is different. I would bet that RT got some under Center work with the Private QB Coach he had back in California. It will be a spirited competition this Spring between AA and Town, Ty Storey could be better than we think. I just haven't seen much of him?

At this point we have Three good willing Suspects, maybe Four.... I do believe that we can find ONE!

onebadrubi

Quote from: GrizzlyRider07 on November 25, 2015, 12:35:53 pm
The kid went through the whole recruiting process so he knew what type of offense they ran before he decided to commit there. He was third on the depth chart through the spring and the team was getting ready to be handed over next year to the kid in front of him. I know this because a guy I know from there gave me the info. He's an alum from there and has a nephew that plays for them now

You absolutely positive that Sark didn't offer shots in the QB room while studying practice film and Ricky saw where this was going and wanted out?  No you're not.  So at this point, all we know is that he didn't like the USC situation that has since blew up and RT is sitting there going thank goodness I got out now. 

That being said, my forum expertise I don't think he will be the QB next year. 

Country Stylz

Since I was wrong about Brandon Allen, I'm gonna take a new approach this year. I'm gonna trust the coaches.

WriterWrong

Quote from: onebadrubi on November 25, 2015, 12:38:26 pm
You absolutely positive that Sark didn't offer shots in the QB room while studying practice film and Ricky saw where this was going and wanted out?  No you're not.  So at this point, all we know is that he didn't like the USC situation that has since blew up and RT is sitting there going thank goodness I got out now. 

That being said, my forum expertise I don't think he will be the QB next year.

Agreed. When the transfer happened, everyone was speculating as to why he would leave. "He must've been scared", "He must've gotten passed over."

Looking back, maybe the fact Sark was a barely-functioning alcoholic on the brink of a collapse and the kid and his family saw the whole thing was getting ready to fall apart and got out while the getting was good.

Only Town and his family know the real reasons. But, given USC's current state, he made a good decision.

Country Stylz

I'm pulling for Town though because I like the pedigree and the quick release.

Ray_Finkle

Scared away of some competition?  I'm sure the head coach being a drunk had nothing to do with it........

WilsonHog

Quote from: Country Stylz on November 25, 2015, 12:47:45 pm
Since I was wrong about Brandon Allen, I'm gonna take a new approach this year. I'm gonna trust the coaches.

I am a fan of that approach.

Medic821

Tim Harris

Come the spring there won't be a QB on our roster who has had more than a handful of meaningful snaps.  It will be fun to watch that is for sure.

Tim Harris

Quote from: Calling All Hogs on November 25, 2015, 12:11:09 pm
I'd be surprised if Austin Allen isn't the starter based on what CBB has done in the past. But the past didn't include major input from Enos so anything is possible.

The Enos thing is what makes me think it will be Town.  From the day he stepped on campus we were rumored to have been involved with a couple different transfer options.  Just makes me think he was looking for something different than what was already here.

Pigasaurus

"If I wanted you to know what I was thinking, I would be talking."  Al Bundy

DiamondHogFan

Who knows.  Our staff has had trouble giving 2 QBs ample snaps to a point where they feel they can trust the Guy picked for second and now they have 4 to choose from.  Were are going to have somewhere between 1 and 4 QBs feeling they didn't get a fair shot.  And they all may be correct.  What is the over/under on QBs transferring over the summer?  I feel sorry for all involved concerning our upcoming crisis trying to find our next QB.

hogsanity

Neither has TS. Those hyping TS are doing so based on his numbers in HS, which when compared to RT are really not as good because the level of competition in Ar HS is almost assuredly less that what RT faced in California.

As for RT leaving USC, after what came out about Sark, plus just wanting to get away from the entire area/home, to say he ran away from competition is inaccurate.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

justmakeit2thebcs

This ^^.    If they want to discuss who has the better high school resume for entertainment purposes, then have at it.  If they want to argue who should be the starter, well that is just plain silly.  Not one person in this forum has 1% of the knowledge it takes to name the starter.  All the have is film from high school that they don't know how to interpret, or someone else's opinion (Parade Magazine, ESPN, Rival, 24/7) based on high school.

HogimusMaximus

hogsanity

People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

scruf

It's either AA or Town. Austin has a definite advantage in the playbook and with actual game experience, albeit very little.

When matched up with the nation's best in their respective classes:

Ricky Town finished 8th at the Elite 11 finals (2014)
Austin Allen was among the 25 QBs that made it to the Elite 11 finals (2012) but did not make the final 11.
Rafe Peavey did not get a finals invite (2013).
Ty Storey did not get a finals invite (2014).

Smokehouse

I would think Austin would get the nod based on experience, but at this point they've all been here for a year with Enos (though Austin still gets an edge with practice reps as the backup), so who knows which one of them is best at learning a playbook when a new OC steps in. And maybe Towns is here because he's Enos' hand picked guy.

Spring is going to clear a lot of things up. Should be a fun time. I will say, everything that's been reported on these guys indicates that they're really great kids, so it's a shame one or more will probably end up needing to transfer to find playing time before all is said and done. They all seem like good ambassadors for the Hogs.
QuoteSometimes a warrior just has to lay down on the ground there for a minute and just have a good bleed. Just bleed.

Words of wisdom from John Pelphrey.

DiamondHogFan

Quote from: 12247 on November 25, 2015, 01:19:34 pm
Who knows.  Our staff has had trouble giving 2 QBs ample snaps to a point where they feel they can trust the Guy picked for second and now they have 4 to choose from.  Were are going to have somewhere between 1 and 4 QBs feeling they didn't get a fair shot.  And they all may be correct.  What is the over/under on QBs transferring over the summer?  I feel sorry for all involved concerning our upcoming crisis trying to find our next QB.
You want a 2 QB system?

1-4 QBs feeling they didn't get a shot?  You just said we don't know who the next guy is...I take that as all 4 are getting their shot next spring.

scruf

Quote from: hogsanity on November 25, 2015, 01:35:09 pm
Based on what?
lol, exactly!

People who aren't pulling for Rafe Peavey think that people who are pulling for Rafe Peavey are convinced he's Johnny Football II.
People who aren't pulling for Austin Allen think that people who are pulling for Austin Allen are either NWA snobs or Austin's parents.
People who aren't pulling for Ty Storey think that people who are pulling for Ty Storey want a home-grown QB but not one from NWA where there are obviously no athletes.
People who aren't pulling for Ricky Town think that people who are pulling for Ricky Town are convinced that Coach Enos vomited when he saw the spring depth chart.

/reedurkulurse

RME

Quote from: scruf on November 25, 2015, 01:56:10 pm
lol, exactly!

People who aren't pulling for Rafe Peavey think that people who are pulling for Rafe Peavey are convinced he's Johnny Football II.
People who aren't pulling for Austin Allen think that people who are pulling for Austin Allen are either NWA snobs or Austin's parents.
People who aren't pulling for Ty Storey think that people who are pulling for Ty Storey want a home-grown QB but not one from NWA where there are obviously no athletes.
People who aren't pulling for Ricky Town think that people who are pulling for Ricky Town are convinced that Coach Enos vomited when he saw the spring depth chart.

/reedurkulurse

Mic dropped, thread ended.

wholehog92

A lot of people citing elite 11 experience/finishes in this discussion.  For some of these guys, that's been 3 years ago.  They have spent 3 years in a college s & c program, 3 years learning from college coaches, 3 years watching upper classmen, 3 years honing their mechanics.  I'm going to go with none of them are the same guy that competed in the elite 11 comps.

All of them were heavily recruited and had significant talent.  If you were forcing me to pick the starter for next year today, I'd say Austin, but I think Story and Town are the two with the most arm talent.  Can they parlay that into leadership, presence, consistency, study, etc required enough to bypass another highly recruited guy with another year of the same thing under his belt?  No idea.  I don't think so from the way AA was getting praise this year from the coaches, but it is possible.  I know I remember Storey being a leader during the recruiting process and making calls to recruits and challenging guys.

I know I seen AA come through in the clutch time and time again in HS.  I know he came in for an injured BA after no being well thought of during the practices and did pretty well in the game when the pressure was on.

I know Peavey out shined BA in a spring game not to long ago.

It will be a fun and interesting Spring, but going into a season with an unproven QB is a scary deal in the SEC.
My personal list of trolls so that I can remember not to reply to them:  Pigs Been Fly, gohogsgo006, hanksampson, no3putts, HarryGoat, Oxbaker, Olmissbydamn, LocalHawg, Thatguy, Masterhog, servicesupport, Razorhawg09, Big Poppa Z,  $100 Handshake, Poloprince.

List of folks that reasonable conversation will not happen:  Iron Hog, Jman, hognot, Solomwi, hogfan1111x, pigzwillrise.

Favorite Posters:  WilsonHog, Tomhog, Muskogeehog, Razorfox, TammayTom, razorback3072, bennyl08.

KennyForAD

November 25, 2015, 02:11:20 pm #39 Last Edit: November 25, 2015, 02:24:55 pm by KennyForAD
Quote from: GrizzlyRider07 on November 25, 2015, 12:35:53 pm

You know what Ricky Town was thinking because ... you know a guy ... who has a brother...  who has a son ... who plays for USC?     Did you really just say that?   You know nothing.  You heard gossip.

I'm guessing that Town is our QB of the future.  As with everyone else, INCLUDING the coaching staff at this point, its just a guess.   Why does that hack you off? 

WilsonHog

I have no dog in the fight. I'm not related to any of the four, nor do I know anyone who is. None of the four came from my hometown, or even my region. I've never watched any of them play in person, other than Austin in mop-up duty. Never followed the recruitment of any of them.

That's how I like it. Let the one who the coaches feel the best about win. Anyone who feels mistreated is free to transfer.

SPAL

Glad this guy made such a contribution.

Hog Pharm

Quote from: Smokehouse on November 25, 2015, 01:51:32 pm
I would think Austin would get the nod based on experience, but at this point they've all been here for a year with Enos (though Austin still gets an edge with practice reps as the backup), so who knows which one of them is best at learning a playbook when a new OC steps in. And maybe Towns is here because he's Enos' hand picked guy.

Spring is going to clear a lot of things up. Should be a fun time. I will say, everything that's been reported on these guys indicates that they're really great kids, so it's a shame one or more will probably end up needing to transfer to find playing time before all is said and done. They all seem like good ambassadors for the Hogs.

I don't think Town is Enos' hand picked guy considering that Town was the one who initiated the contact with Arkansas.

KennyForAD

Quote from: Smokehouse on November 25, 2015, 01:51:32 pm

I do!   Town once learned a 600 page playbook by speed-reading it in the bathroom. 

RME

Quote from: sir-pigs-a-lot on November 25, 2015, 02:15:51 pm
Glad this guy made such a contribution.

Because my contribution is so much worse than all the other drivel posted in here, right?

Please, enlighten us all on how much you know about each individual, and why he should gain the starting job?

KennyForAD

Quote from: RyanMallettsEgo on November 25, 2015, 02:26:02 pm
Because my contribution is so much worse than all the other drivel posted in here, right?

Please, enlighten us all on how much you know about each individual, and why he should gain the starting job?

May I answer for him?

Austin Allen:  BA's little brother and alter ego
Ricky Town:   Plays drums
Ty Story:       Cute name
Rafe Peavy:   Cuter name

Sanctified Swine

Regardless of who it ends up being, they will have a heck of a receiving corp to work with. Hatcher, Morgan, Cornelius, Reed and Sprinkle/Henry... wow!

Next year there will be a great STORY for Razorbacks... we will have an A+ rating and there will be PEAVE and joy in hog Town on 12/3/16!...

Lake City Hog

Probably the biggest factor--AA = Redshirt Jr. in 2016 with some game experience. If we get way up on Missouri he could get some PT on Friday. Possibly a few snaps in the bowl game??

michaels

Quote from: Tom Bennett on November 25, 2015, 11:49:53 am

Apparently nobody in the last decade except johnny manziel

RockyMtnHog

Rafe Peavey will be lucky to ever see the field.  AA will be the starter and have a lot of growing pains next year.
"On the Eighth Day, God created the Razorbacks!"