Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Austin Allen Question

Started by GrizzlyRider07, November 25, 2015, 08:22:52 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Pig in the Pokey

You must be on one if you think i aint on one! ¥420¥   «roastin da bomb in fayettenam» Purspirit Gang

Tyro3

Quote from: bennyl08 on November 25, 2015, 05:09:22 pm
                   Brandon Allen               Austin Allen   Rafe Peavey                Ty Storey        Ricky Town               Cole Kelley
HS ht/wt        6/2 195 (214 rivals)      6'2 217        6'2 205/212              6'3 216/210     6'3 206/6'4 210         6'7 230/235
rating             87.66 (3*, 4*)             89.5 (4*)     88.44 (4*,3*)            90.88 (4*)      96.02 (4*)                 85.36 (3*)
hs forty?         4.7 (rivals)                  4.77             4.5                           4.92
Hudl               6'1 175                      6'2 205          6'2 212                       6'3/216         6'3 202                     6'7 246
                     4.84 forty                  4.80 forty        4.5 forty, 4.07 shuttle  (rest rivals)    4.65 forty                 34.5' power ball
                     32" vert                      250 bench     290 bench, 32" vert       25" vert       30" vert,
                     190 bench                   380 squat     405 squat                    4.58 shuttle   250 bench, 350 squat
compared to   Mettenberger              nobody who's                                    Drew Locke   Ty Storey...
                     Kessler                  made an impact
notable offers  Arkansas               Ark, ASU, Bama       zona, aub, bay, BC    Bma, aub      Bama, ASU, FSU      Ark, Kent, Ok St.
                                                  ND, Ok st, ole miss   GT, Iowa, lou, mizz,     Lou         UGA, MIA, stan, tenn
                                                  Tenn                    Neb, USC, OM, NC, WV                tex, ucla,
                                                                             UCLA

You are definitely a stats kind of guy, from that global thing to football, do you ever sleep? ( just kidding )

Pigasaurus

"If I wanted you to know what I was thinking, I would be talking."  Al Bundy

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: GrizzlyRider07 on November 25, 2015, 08:22:52 am
So what's the scoop on AA? After watching BA and how he's deceptively quick and elusive while being able to scramble around. That got me to thinking, since AA probably has the upper hand on being the starter next year. Is he at all anything like his brother athletically wise? Can he escape like BA at all and get away from pressure? I know a few times this year if BA couldn't have gotten away from pressure we would've had some huge losses!

Rather than making an assumption as to who may be the heir apparent to the starting QB job next year, I will just say that I think that Enos is grooming someone for the job and we will have a better idea of who that will be towards the end of Spring or maybe into the Fall camp. I'm not certain that anyone has the edge right now despite the fact that Austin Allen is currently listed as the #2. I don't think that there are any forgone conclusions to be drawn about who the starter may be next year, at this point. Competition at a high level is a good thing for the individuals involved as well as the team.
Go Hogs Go!

ChattanoogaHog

Who do you guys want to see be the starting QB next year? AA who has been in the system the longest and has always seemed the likely heir? Rafe Peavey the duel-threat? Or Ricky Town the hot shot USC transfer? My bet is on Allen, but I have faith in any QB as long as Enos is coaching em up... Thoughts??

presidenthog

Quote from: ChattanoogaHog on November 25, 2015, 10:19:05 pm
Who do you guys want to see be the starting QB next year? AA who has been in the system the longest and has always seemed the likely heir? Rafe Peavey the duel-threat? Or Ricky Town the hot shot USC transfer? My bet is on Allen, but I have faith in any QB as long as Enos is coaching em up... Thoughts??
I hope Rafe never plays so these idiots hoping that he is the next Matt jones cry for 30 years because Matt jones 2.0 never got his shot.

tophawg19

you clearly know nothing about Rafe or much else . He has the best arm among the qb's and is the most mobile . with us rebuilding the o-line he would seem the best choice.
if you ain't a hawg you ain't chitlins

JaketheSnake

Quote from: tophawg19 on November 25, 2015, 10:40:43 pm
you clearly know nothing about Rafe or much else . He has the best arm among the qb's and is the most mobile . with us rebuilding the o-line he would seem the best choice.
Best arm?  I would agree with most mobile. Neither of those would make him the best QB.   Both of those would not mean he is the best QB.

presidenthog

I bet you are one of those #freerafe people. the guy from all accounts is never going to play here baring injuries. I want nothing from a dual threat qb. our system does not highlight thier mobility. give me a guy who WANTS to beat you with thier head and thier arm and knows how to work the pocket. than some guy who relies on his scrambling ability to beat someone.

you know what. here in 3 years after Rafe no longer is eligible and never plays a snap I'll bump this thread and ask you who doesn't know much.

tophawg19

there is no such thing as an offense that can't take advantage of a mobile QB. i don't know where you get your info about Rafe never playing but it wasn't from the coaches . they have been high on this kid all along . you do realize BA is fairly mobile and has used it to get us out of trouble
if you ain't a hawg you ain't chitlins

jkstock04

Quote from: presidenthog on November 25, 2015, 10:50:25 pm
I bet you are one of those #freerafe people. the guy from all accounts is never going to play here baring injuries. I want nothing from a dual threat qb. our system does not highlight thier mobility. give me a guy who WANTS to beat you with thier head and thier arm and knows how to work the pocket. than some guy who relies on his scrambling ability to beat someone.

you know what. here in 3 years after Rafe no longer is eligible and never plays a snap I'll bump this thread and ask you who doesn't know much.
There is another thread similar to this one with a handful of longtime posters guaranteeing AA to be the starter saying there won't even be a competition this spring. I have a mental note of it and fully plan on bringing the thread back when the qb controversy starts here in a few months.
Thanks for the F Shack. 

Love,

Dirty Mike and the Boys

hawgmasta

Are we gonna do this again? Huh?

We doin' this?!?!

presidenthog

Quote from: jkstock04 on November 25, 2015, 11:00:50 pm
There is another thread similar to this one with a handful of longtime posters guaranteeing AA to be the starter saying there won't even be a competition this spring. I have a mental note of it and fully plan on bringing the thread back when the qb controversy starts here in a few months.

I think AA has a leg up on the qb battle.

Country Stylz

Quote from: presidenthog on November 25, 2015, 10:25:57 pm
I hope Rafe never plays so these idiots hoping that he is the next Matt jones cry for 30 years because Matt jones 2.0 never got his shot.
Hate seeing people hate on Rafe. Hope he hangs in there and gets his shot.

Nipsey Mussle

How many of the qb's transfer out of here after they lose the competition?

89ALUM

Probably we'll lose one.  I doubt we'll lose two.

My prediction is Austin Allen will win the job.  Not necessarily because he's the best (although I feel like he might be).  But because he's been #2 all year, and won a battle with the other two guys to determine that status.

In this league, the backup better be ready.  The defenses of the SEC will beat the crap out of you, even if they can't stop you on the field.  So the runner up will be almost as important as the starter, IMO.

In the end, I don't really care who wins.  I just want the best guy back there, no favorites here.
I'm in shape.  Round is a shape.

"That's what." - she

songofthesword

after seeing what enos has done with Brandon Allen in less than a year i quiver at what he can do with Ricky Town and all that talent

Razorfox

Instead of arguing over it, let's just be happy that most likely we are going to have a good to great QB playing in a Razorback uniform for a while. We've NEVER had this much talent on paper at one time.  With a good QB coach, which we have, we will be set. 

Cinco de Hogo

Quote from: Razorfox on November 26, 2015, 07:48:05 am
Instead of arguing over it, let's just be happy that most likely we are going to have a good to great QB playing in a Razorback uniform for a while. We've NEVER had this much talent on paper at one time.  With a good QB coach, which we have, we will be set.

On a board called MMQB what's the fun in that?  I'll be happy with any QB that wins, sad if one transfers, and I have a natural bias.  It will be the subject of hundreds of thread over the next ten months or more.  All we really know right now is that it is AA's job to lose.

longpig

Quote from: onebadrubi on November 25, 2015, 12:50:12 pm
I doubt a couple transfer after this spring.  Maybe 1 but I doubt more than 1 this spring.

Yeh, only one of them will be down to two seasons of eligibility, I believe.  That's hard decision time for a qb if he's not in the running to be the guy.
Don't be scared, be smart.

PonderinHog

EastMemphisHog

Town played against the best competition in high school. I think Storey could be a very good QB, but I think the fact that Town played against numerous D-1 players will give him an edge in the transition to college football. From what I've heard, Storey's main issues have been timing and bad decisions when the pocket is collapsing. It is a tough learning curve when all of the DB's can run 4.5 40's. The windows close much quicker than they did in high school. Town will have to adjust as well, but I think he would have to be more accustomed to the speed and talent of D-1 DB's.

IronHog

Quote from: cshivley1 on November 26, 2015, 09:17:58 am
Town played against the best competition in high school. I think Storey could be a very good QB, but I think the fact that Town played against numerous D-1 players will give him an edge in the transition to college football. From what I've heard, Storey's main issues have been timing and bad decisions when the pocket is collapsing. It is a tough learning curve when all of the DB's can run 4.5 40's. The windows close much quicker than they did in high school. Town will have to adjust as well, but I think he would have to be more accustomed to the speed and talent of D-1 DB's.

Town's mechanics and release are far superior to Story.  Huge advantage in getting the ball out quick coupled with the fact he's actually throwing the ball in rhythm occasionally on his film vs Story who mostly was out muscling people.

Let's call this what it is.......  AA is leader heading into spring.  Town will be groomed to push him.  Story has a chance.  Peavy is probaby odd man out.
Iron sharpens iron, So one man sharpens another.

k.c.hawg

The one conclusion I feel strong about is, a QB injury will not derail our season. We've got great depth and it would appear we could go at least 3 deep without too much of a drop off.
Just sitting on the deck with a cold beer and a hot tequila watching the razorbacks roam.

Mike Irwin

Quote from: BielemaBrilliance on November 25, 2015, 09:12:12 am
Better than BA
Right now he's not. It's not even close. It may be when it's time to step up and win the job he will go to another level but that remains to be seen.

JaketheSnake

Quote from: Country Stylz on November 26, 2015, 12:16:17 am
Hate seeing people hate on Rafe. Hope he hangs in there and gets his shot.
I do as well. Too many people get caught up defending "their player" and act lie idiots toward someone living their dream out.  Ridiculous

Lake City Hog

Not sure that I would say that Town played against the best competition, he played in a private school league and went 6-5 his Sr. year. St. Bonaventure is a private Catholic school of around 575 students(HS).

BOAR_N2BWILD

Phil. 4:13 "I can do all things through Him, who gives me strength."

Lake City Hog

We can only hope that BB and Enos are able to keep an open mind better than most of us! I sincerely hope that Enos doesn't just choose one of the other three and "groom" him to push and eventually replace AA.

My guess is that Enos has watched enough of the 4 guys in waiting to have a pretty good idea of which guy starts out at #1, #2, #3 and which guy will probably be the out of the loop.

Obviously the best scenario for the program is for your RS Jr to be the man for 2 years while #2 & #3 sit back and gain experience. For us that would mean(only for example) AA starts as a RS Jr and Storey backs him up as a RS Fr and then again as a RS So. Storey then becomes the starter as a RS Jr and the process starts over again with Kelley. I can guarantee you that BB would prfer this scenario over any other for several reasons. #1 being that such a process proves that his recruiting is sound and always keeps the experience level fairly high.

Cinco de Hogo

Quote from: Lake City Hog on November 26, 2015, 11:56:26 am
We can only hope that BB and Enos are able to keep an open mind better than most of us! I sincerely hope that Enos doesn't just choose one of the other three and "groom" him to push and eventually replace AA.

My guess is that Enos has watched enough of the 4 guys in waiting to have a pretty good idea of which guy starts out at #1, #2, #3 and which guy will probably be the out of the loop.

Obviously the best scenario for the program is for your RS Jr to be the man for 2 years while #2 & #3 sit back and gain experience. For us that would mean(only for example) AA starts as a RS Jr and Storey backs him up as a RS Fr and then again as a RS So. Storey then becomes the starter as a RS Jr and the process starts over again with Kelley. I can guarantee you that BB would prfer this scenario over any other for several reasons. #1 being that such a process proves that his recruiting is sound and always keeps the experience level fairly high.

You forgot Ricky Town...or did you?

Lake City Hog

No, I said(only for example). Plug any name into that equation and it works the same way.
The big question is could BB keep the #3 guy around, in my example Town, just in case Aa went down with a serious injury?

bennyl08

Quote from: Lake City Hog on November 26, 2015, 12:12:59 pm
No, I said(only for example). Plug any name into that equation and it works the same way.
The big question is could BB keep the #3 guy around, in my example Town, just in case Aa went down with a serious injury?

If you plug Kelly's name into Austin's spot it doesn't work the same way.  ;)
Quote from: PorkSoda on May 05, 2016, 09:24:05 pm
damn I thought it was only a color, didn't realize it was named after a liqueur. leave it to benny to make me research the history of chartreuse

gchamblee

seems like it was only about a month ago that everyone wanted the entire Allen family to get the hell out of arkansas lol

Aporkalypse Now

Quote from: GrizzlyRider07 on November 25, 2015, 11:22:09 am
What makes everyone so high on Ricky Town? The kid has done nothing to garner so much hype. He and Ty Storey were one spot away from each other on the recruiting rankings. Everyone wants to just  jump on that bandwagon why? Because he was at USC and had a good offer list? Well Ty Storey did as well. Let's wait before we just jump to conclusions to at least see how the kid does in the spring.

He came here by way of USC, and son you don't get a scholarship offer to USC unless you're a pretty good athlete, which Towns is. That is all he's done.

I think the job is his to lose. I think promises were made to get him to transfer from USC to ARKANSAS.  I think AA will be the #2 and Rafe Peavey will transfer.

Just my 2 cents.

Lake City Hog

1st of all Town contacted Arkansas. 2nd most kids that get a scholarship to Arkansas are pretty good athletes! 3rd, if BB and Enos made promises to Town that would be against everything that BB has stood for since he got here. "You get what you earn."!!!!!

Aporkalypse Now

Quote from: Lake City Hog on November 26, 2015, 02:00:42 pm
1st of all Town contacted Arkansas. 2nd most kids that get a scholarship to Arkansas are pretty good athletes! 3rd, if BB and Enos made promises to Town that would be against everything that BB has stood for since he got here. "You get what you earn."!!!!!

1. Of course he did, were you under the impression that i thought Bielema was just sitting around calling random players wanting to know if they were interested in transferring?

2. True, but not Towns caliber athletes, sorry that's just a fact.

3. How would "the starting job be yours to lose" conflict with you get what you earn?

Myself, I'm rooting for Story, because I know the kid somewhat and love the way he plays, but logically I think it's going to be 1. Towns 2. Allen 3. Storey transfer Peavey.

k.c.hawg

My initial instincts would tell me the 4th year Jr will have the physical and mental edge over the others. If one of the others have the talent to surpass him I would expect us to see some very good QB play.
Just sitting on the deck with a cold beer and a hot tequila watching the razorbacks roam.

HOGINTENNESSEE

Quote from: Lake City Hog on November 26, 2015, 10:32:17 am
Not sure that I would say that Town played against the best competition, he played in a private school league and went 6-5 his Sr. year. St. Bonaventure is a private Catholic school of around 575 students(HS).

The Marmonte League not a private school only league.

St. Bonaventure is one of 2 private schools to participate in this league for Football

longpig

Quote from: Lake City Hog on November 26, 2015, 11:56:26 am

Enos said he had spent little to no time with Towns in a PC a month or so ago, that he'd only seen him throw some and he showed accuracy.
Don't be scared, be smart.

ricepig

Quote from: longpig on November 26, 2015, 03:17:03 pm
Enos said he had spent little to no time with Towns in a PC a month or so ago, that he'd only seen him throw some and he showed accuracy.

Yep, during the bye week he said he had to draw the plays up for him when they scrimmaged the "development" guys. Town has been running the scout team and hasn't worked that much on our stuff.

Hog Pharm

I predict that when the QB struggles some next year people will be saying how horrible Enos is like they are doing with Robb Smith now.

ricepig

Quote from: Hog Pharm on November 26, 2015, 03:34:28 pm
I predict that when the QB struggles some next year people will be saying how horrible Enos is like they are doing with Robb Smith now.

You must like shooting fish in a barrel, too.......

HOGINTENNESSEE

Quote from: Hog Pharm on November 26, 2015, 03:34:28 pm

Your prediction sucks

Hog Pharm

Quote from: ricepig on November 26, 2015, 03:35:37 pm
You must like shooting fish in a barrel, too.......
Quote from: HOGINTENNESSEE on November 26, 2015, 03:35:47 pm
Your prediction sucks

I hope it doesn't come true but heck who really knows? At this time last year people were clammoring for a raise for RS so we didn't lose him. Now some think he stinks. No one knows what will happen next year.

ricepig

Quote from: Hog Pharm on November 26, 2015, 03:53:03 pm
I hope it doesn't come true but heck who really knows? At this time last year people were clammoring for a raise for RS so we didn't lose him. Now some think he stinks. No one knows what will happen next year.

Oh, no doubt your prediction will come true, probably in the first drive of 2016.

cypert2

Quote from: jkstock04 on November 25, 2015, 11:00:50 pm
What QB controversy. AA starts next year.
Swinging on the two and the four.

Biggus Piggus

W t f with this drivel?
[CENSORED]!

Mike Irwin

What do you base this on? Unless you've been granted special access to practice and have seen things the coaches have not seen this post is nothing more than your own speculation.

Mike Irwin

Quote from: ricepig on November 26, 2015, 03:21:41 pm
Yep, during the bye week he said he had to draw the plays up for him when they scrimmaged the "development" guys. Town has been running the scout team and hasn't worked that much on our stuff.
During the bowl practices the back up QBs are going to get some work. It will be interesting to see what the coaches say about them.

Aporkalypse Now

Quote from: Mike Irwin on November 26, 2015, 06:38:05 pm
During the bowl practices the back up QBs are going to get some work. It will be interesting to see what the coaches say about them.

I'd be surprised if they say anything about them, and why would they? If I were the coach, I would keep completely silent about our likely starter next season.