Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Austin Allen Question

Started by GrizzlyRider07, November 25, 2015, 08:22:52 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Mike Irwin

Quote from: Aporkalypse Now on November 26, 2015, 06:39:43 pm
I'd be surprised if they say anything about them, and why would they? If I were the coach, I would keep completely silent about our likely starter next season.
Clearly he's not going to name a starter based on some bowl practices but he'll talk about how they look.

Aporkalypse Now

Quote from: Mike Irwin on November 26, 2015, 06:46:19 pm
Clearly he's not going to name a starter based on some bowl practices but he'll talk about how they look.

Of course, I'm saying I wouldn't even do that. Just make some generic "Everyone is progressing nicely" type statements.

JaketheSnake

you are looking too much into bowl practices.  Spring practices are when new names will be popping up.

BigBrandonAllenFan

It is Austin's job to loose next season.  Provided he stays healthy, he will more than likely start game 1 in the 2016 season.

That's no big secret.

Pork Twain

Only thing that SHOULD matter to all of you is that we are loaded at that position, with very solid depth all the way to number 5 next year.
"It is better to be an optimist and proven wrong, than a pessimist and proven right." ~Pork Twain

https://www.facebook.com/groups/sweetmemes/

Hogfly

I didn't pay that much attention to FHS football when the Allen boys were there. That being said, I've talked to quite a few of the FHS coaches about the two.  The general consensus seems to be that they're pretty comparable skills wise with the main difference being in attitude. People have pointed out that Austin is more "laid back" than Brandon. While I think that's true in their personality, it also translated into Austin having more of a gunslinger attitude on the field with a shorter memory (we can all remember that way that BA would get down early in a game and have a hard time recovering in the past). The main coach I know said, "They're both great QBs, and I'd take either. When chips are on the line and I need someone to make the play and carry the team, then I'd probably take Austin." Basically: you might get more mistakese from Austin, but you're also going to get clutch play.

Of course, that's all high school stuff and based on who they were 4-6 years ago.

onebadrubi

Quote from: Pork Twain on November 27, 2015, 06:53:57 am
Only thing that SHOULD matter to all of you is that we are loaded at that position, with very solid depth all the way to number 5 next year.

Bingo. We've got more depth at QB and probably talent than any two other sec schools put together.

ChitownHawg

Now if only our linebacker depth chart looked this good.  ;)
PonderinHog: "My mother gave me a framed cross-stitch picture that reads, "You can tell a Hog fan, but you can't tell him much.  Go Hogs!" It's a blessing and a curse."  :razorback:

Klamath River Hog: " Is your spell check made in India?"

razoredge178

It won't look like that next year. Two will transfer after Spring practice, bringing us to the traditional three...if we're lucky. I wouldn't be surprised if three guys try to transfer so they can play.....the one downside, if you will, to being stacked at a one man show position.

passinghog

Hopefully Town. I prefer not to have a hometown kid at QB, especially from NWA.

Aporkalypse Now

Quote from: Showtimehog on November 28, 2015, 07:28:09 pm

What's the reasoning there? I love having a hometown kid at every position there is one talented enough to play at. In fact that is why the Hogs struggle, not enough available home town talent.

Cinco de Hogo

Quote from: Showtimehog on November 28, 2015, 07:28:09 pm

Strange indeed!  Although I think I know where your coming from.  Egging, burnt trucks!

LZH

Quote from: Mike Irwin on November 26, 2015, 06:35:31 pm
What do you base this on? Unless you've been granted special access to practice and have seen things the coaches have not seen this post is nothing more than your own speculation.

Drones, Mike....drones.

WHAT IF:::::::::::::::::::If Austin doesn't win the starting job, he transfers so he can get an opportunity to play before its too late for him.  If Austin wins the starting job, then whomever is second may stay because they will have an opportunity to start within 2 years.  Anyone below second likely will transfer to a small school so they can play.  So far at Atkansas, the starter always gets the nod no matter his production.  Austin has performed above his brother at every opportunity in Spring and scrimmiage games and it means nothing to this staff.

Town is the least likely to transfer again if he feels he has any real chance but even he can go to a small school and show his ability if he doesn't get the nod at Arkansas.  Depending on who gets the nod and how early they get that nod, you could see 3 transfers.  Any of the younder QBs getting the nod could drive the other 3 to transfer just because each of their chances to play will dribble to very little or not at all.

Trying to get 4 QBs a fair shot at starting is near impossible based on one Spring and Fall of practice.  The stories coming out of these closed practices should be full of drama and deceit.

JaketheSnake

BA and the rest of the QBs were not seeing "equal reps" the last few springs.  Stats don't matter as much as then.
Quote from: 12247 on November 28, 2015, 09:29:42 pm
WHAT IF:::::::::::::::::::If Austin doesn't win the starting job, he transfers so he can get an opportunity to play before its too late for him.  If Austin wins the starting job, then whomever is second may stay because they will have an opportunity to start within 2 years.  Anyone below second likely will transfer to a small school so they can play.  So far at Atkansas, the starter always gets the nod no matter his production.  Austin has performed above his brother at every opportunity in Spring and scrimmiage games and it means nothing to this staff.

Town is the least likely to transfer again if he feels he has any real chance but even he can go to a small school and show his ability if he doesn't get the nod at Arkansas.  Depending on who gets the nod and how early they get that nod, you could see 3 transfers.  Any of the younder QBs getting the nod could drive the other 3 to transfer just because each of their chances to play will dribble to very little or not at all.

Trying to get 4 QBs a fair shot at starting is near impossible based on one Spring and Fall of practice.  The stories coming out of these closed practices should be full of drama and deceit.

Lake City Hog

Drama and deceit?? Trust issues??

rlamb

Why does everyone assume he's destined to be the starter when Rickey Town is
here?

duckman

IMO, with the QB's we already had on our roster the only reason Ricky Town was brought in was to be given every opportunity to be the starter.  Watch his videos, he is very talented and polished for a HS QB.  IMO he will be the guy, sooner than later.