Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Austin Allen Question

Started by GrizzlyRider07, November 25, 2015, 08:22:52 am

Previous topic - Next topic

GrizzlyRider07

So what's the scoop on AA? After watching BA and how he's deceptively quick and elusive while being able to scramble around. That got me to thinking, since AA probably has the upper hand on being the starter next year. Is he at all anything like his brother athletically wise? Can he escape like BA at all and get away from pressure? I know a few times this year if BA couldn't have gotten away from pressure we would've had some huge losses!
Dont Talk, Just Act.
Don't Say, Just Show.
Don't Promise, Just Prove!

DeltaBoy

I think he is a step or two faster.
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

Hogarusa

I'll ride the wave where it takes me

Lake City Hog

<iframe width="425" height="350" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/OFFPw05OFq8"; frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Probably didn't embed this correctly, but you can see the video of his Sr. highlights.

BielemaBrilliance

"When you win, nothing hurts" Joe N

Dr. Starcs

If he was better than ba, he'd be playing now. Having said that, I have heard he has the potential to be better.

onebadrubi

Little Allen was a little faster and a littler bigger/stronger arm than Brandon in High School.  That being said, I don't think ANYONE has a leg up next spring.  Each QB has been with Enos for about the same amount of time (I guess Town could be a few weeks behind).  We will see a wide open QB competition like we have not seen at Arkansas and I hope we have it figured out by TCU week next season. 

I think the QB that can make checks and reads at the LOS and is most mature mentally/slow the game down the most will win the job. 

TebowHater

His HS stats were better passing wise. But as a runner, he comes no where close to BA. I truly do not know where you guys are getting this from. He can throw a good juke every once and a while, but BA ( at least HS BA vs HS AA) is substantially faster. Probably .2+ faster in a 40.

DiamondHogFan

I just hope that whoever wins the QB spot next Spring has the heart and fight in them that BA does.  He will be missed.

wholehog92

Quote from: TebowHater on November 25, 2015, 09:27:16 am
His HS stats were better passing wise. But as a runner, he comes no where close to BA. I truly do not know where you guys are getting this from. He can throw a good juke every once and a while, but BA ( at least HS BA vs HS AA) is substantially faster. Probably .2+ faster in a 40.

Where did you get this information?
My personal list of trolls so that I can remember not to reply to them:  Pigs Been Fly, gohogsgo006, hanksampson, no3putts, HarryGoat, Oxbaker, Olmissbydamn, LocalHawg, Thatguy, Masterhog, servicesupport, Razorhawg09, Big Poppa Z,  $100 Handshake, Poloprince.

List of folks that reasonable conversation will not happen:  Iron Hog, Jman, hognot, Solomwi, hogfan1111x, pigzwillrise.

Favorite Posters:  WilsonHog, Tomhog, Muskogeehog, Razorfox, TammayTom, razorback3072, bennyl08.

ricepig

Quote from: TebowHater on November 25, 2015, 09:27:16 am

I thought this as well. My son played against BA, and the next year I watched AA when they came to town. My take was that BA was quicker to run, and actually hurt us more with his pocket escapes.

mitchforheisman

Austin Allen high school 40 time: 4.77 secs. Brandon Allen 40 Time (not sure when this was measured): 4.87

The_Iceman

He has completed 9 passes in his career. I don't think we know enough either way.

HotlantaHog

I have heard for years that AA is better than BA. Though I take it much of this is every fanbase can be hypercritical of the starting QB and extra-optimistic about the backup QB. Guess we will find out soon enough.

Pork Twain

One thing I can tell you for a fact, no matter who wins out in the Spring, according to many on Hogville, the best qb will be the one on the bench
"It is better to be an optimist and proven wrong, than a pessimist and proven right." ~Pork Twain

https://www.facebook.com/groups/sweetmemes/

ricepig

Quote from: Pork Twain on November 25, 2015, 10:46:03 am
One thing I can tell you for a fact, no matter who wins out in the Spring, according to many on Hogville, the best qb will be the one on the bench

Or, at the least, one we are recruiting.

TebowHater

Quote from: mitchforheisman on November 25, 2015, 10:13:20 am
Austin Allen high school 40 time: 4.77 secs. Brandon Allen 40 Time (not sure when this was measured): 4.87

Rivals has BA at a 4.7. This is pretty believable to me. Austin is > 4.8.

Quote from: wholehog92 on November 25, 2015, 09:37:18 am
Where did you get this information?

Played against them both. BA for 2 years and Austin for 1. BA was much harder for us to contain. I don't know where to find their HS rushing stats with sacks removed, but I would be shocked if AA was close to BA. BA was very much a mobile QB in HS, whereas AA was more of a pocket passer (kind of what BA has been in college).

Nonetheless, they are both great kids, although very different. AA was always more clutch in HS and was 2/2 on State Championships whereas BA was 0/3. Note: Brandon definitely had a better team his senior year than AA did his junior year. That said, not claiming BA not winning one was a function of BA...(could have been better opponents, coaching, etc.)

scruf

Austin was a 247 Sports Composite 4* who had offers from Alabama, Notre Dame, Tennessee, Ole Miss and Oklahoma State, among others. He is very talented and it will be fun to watch him battle it out with the other QBs in the spring. That said, it really feels like a two-horse race between him and Ricky Town. Should be entertaining. May the best man win.

razoredge178

Quote from: onebadrubi on November 25, 2015, 09:26:45 am
Little Allen was a little faster and a littler bigger/stronger arm than Brandon in High School.  That being said, I don't think ANYONE has a leg up next spring.  Each QB has been with Enos for about the same amount of time (I guess Town could be a few weeks behind).  We will see a wide open QB competition like we have not seen at Arkansas and I hope we have it figured out by TCU week next season. 

I think the QB that can make checks and reads at the LOS and is most mature mentally/slow the game down the most will win the job.

Really excited about this ^^

Hawgey-Davidson

Quote from: scruf on November 25, 2015, 10:59:05 am
Austin was a 247 Sports Composite 4* who had offers from Alabama, Notre Dame, Tennessee, Ole Miss and Oklahoma State, among others. He is very talented and it will be fun to watch him battle it out with the other QBs in the spring. That said, it really feels like a two-horse race between him and Ricky Town. Should be entertaining. May the best man win.
Let us not forget Ty Storey or Rafe Peavey. Carry on.

yraciv

Quote from: Hawgey-Davidson on November 25, 2015, 11:04:48 am
Let us not forget Ty Storey or Rafe Peavey. Carry on.

We're not,  just if you were handicapping the race Town & AA appear to have the advantage.  Rafe and Ty have already gone up against AA once for the backup role and Bielema never hinted it was close.

GrizzlyRider07

What makes everyone so high on Ricky Town? The kid has done nothing to garner so much hype. He and Ty Storey were one spot away from each other on the recruiting rankings. Everyone wants to just  jump on that bandwagon why? Because he was at USC and had a good offer list? Well Ty Storey did as well. Let's wait before we just jump to conclusions to at least see how the kid does in the spring.
Dont Talk, Just Act.
Don't Say, Just Show.
Don't Promise, Just Prove!

mitchforheisman

Everyone forgets Austin Allen's offer list.

Quote from: GrizzlyRider07 on November 25, 2015, 11:22:09 am
What makes everyone so high on Ricky Town? The kid has done nothing to garner so much hype. He and Ty Storey were one spot away from each other on the recruiting rankings. Everyone wants to just  jump on that bandwagon why? Because he was at USC and had a good offer list? Well Ty Storey did as well. Let's wait before we just jump to conclusions to at least see how the kid does in the spring.

wildturkey8

onebadrubi

Regardless this board will be hammered with people begging for the other QB even if we are winning.  That said, none have any real experience and we will see some mistakes.  The competition may very well be won in meetings and the classroom so to say. 

jgphillips3

I think it could best be summed up that AA is a little bigger with a little stronger arm.  Also, he is probably a little faster in straight line speed but BA is quicker and more elusive.  The biggest difference apparently is their demeanor and bearing with AA being more laid back.

razoredge178

Quote from: onebadrubi on November 25, 2015, 12:23:23 pm
Regardless this board will be hammered with people begging for the other QB even if we are winning.  That said, none have any real experience and we will see some mistakes.  The competition may very well be won in meetings and the classroom so to say.

A couple will transfer out after spring practice.

onebadrubi

Quote from: razoredge178 on November 25, 2015, 12:49:23 pm
A couple will transfer out after spring practice.

I doubt a couple transfer after this spring.  Maybe 1 but I doubt more than 1 this spring. 

yraciv

I don't think anyone is dismissing anyone.  We have 4 quarterbacks with incredible offer list competing for 1 spots.  We'll see how it plays out and all of us are going to have opinions, but the facts are this.

1. AA was much higher than Rafe and Ty this spring & fall, so he is the favorite.
2. Ricky Town was brought in to compete for the starting job next year after the coaches had seen a decent amount of practice reps from the other 3.
3. Ricky Town has had the most publicity of the 4.  He had the higher recruit rankings, and he had success in the Elite 11 which the others can't match.

Now who knows how they have been progressing in practice, and who knows if AA is still way above Rafe and Ty or if they have closed the gap.  Everyone should get a shot and the competition is a good thing.

Country Stylz

I thought BA was a 4.6 guy coming out and Austin was a 4.8?

hobhog

He won two state championships did he not? Think he is a gamer......

98hogs

Quote from: Pork Twain on November 25, 2015, 10:46:03 am
LOL   you are so right

scruf

Here's the separation between the QBs and why many think it's already a 2 man battle:

Ricky Town finished 8th at the Elite 11 finals in 2014.
Austin Allen was among the 25 QBs that made it to the 2012 Elite 11 finals but did not make the final 11.
Rafe Peavey did not get a finals invite in 2013.
Ty Storey did not get a finals invite in 2014.

cbhawg03

Hogville will implode with another Allen as the starting quarterback

Calling All Hogs

Quote from: yraciv on November 25, 2015, 11:10:53 am
We're not,  just if you were handicapping the race Town & AA appear to have the advantage.  Rafe and Ty have already gone up against AA once for the backup role and Bielema never hinted it was close.
You may be right about Rafe but I'm not sure this tells us much about Ty since they would have had to burn his redshirt to let him do a small amount of mop up work this year.

wholehog92

Quote from: jgphillips3 on November 25, 2015, 12:47:55 pm
I think it could best be summed up that AA is a little bigger with a little stronger arm.  Also, he is probably a little faster in straight line speed but BA is quicker and more elusive.  The biggest difference apparently is their demeanor and bearing with AA being more laid back.

That's what my eye test tells me as well.  I have no idea who will come out on top next spring, just the .2 quicker number seemed out of place and very specific.

If I were forced to pick a horse today, I'd say AA will be starter and either Story or Town as back up.  FWIW, I'd be fine with any of the four.

I agree that whoever doesn't win and whoever we recruit will become Hogville favorites.  That is the way of the board.
My personal list of trolls so that I can remember not to reply to them:  Pigs Been Fly, gohogsgo006, hanksampson, no3putts, HarryGoat, Oxbaker, Olmissbydamn, LocalHawg, Thatguy, Masterhog, servicesupport, Razorhawg09, Big Poppa Z,  $100 Handshake, Poloprince.

List of folks that reasonable conversation will not happen:  Iron Hog, Jman, hognot, Solomwi, hogfan1111x, pigzwillrise.

Favorite Posters:  WilsonHog, Tomhog, Muskogeehog, Razorfox, TammayTom, razorback3072, bennyl08.

OPoraquê

The Arkansas roster has BA at 1" taller than his bro, same weight.  As talented as BA was/is, he got "4 stars" during his high school career while AA only got 3, no?  I was really expecting the younger one to get a Parade all-American honor following his senior season.  Regardless, who cares about the rankings now?  BA is still rewriting the Arkansas record book just as he did the ASHSAA one, and I too, think AA will get the nod and lead this team to even greater heights.

(BTW, BA got stuck facing the Bentonville 2010 team his senior year, the only other Arkansas "big-school" undefeated football team in the past 10 years beside Springdale 2005.  BHS 2010 may never get the full credit it deserves, but they got a ring in a very tough year - cool enough.)

ricepig

Quote from: OPoraquê on November 25, 2015, 02:08:56 pm
The Arkansas roster has BA at 1" taller than his bro, same weight.  As talented as BA was/is, he got "4 stars" during his high school career while AA only got 3, no?  I was really expecting the younger one to get a Parade all-American honor following his senior season.  Regardless, who cares about the rankings now?  BA is still rewriting the Arkansas record book just as he did the ASHSAA one, and I too, think AA will get the nod and lead this team to even greater heights.

(BTW, BA got stuck facing the Bentonville 2010 team his senior year, the only other Arkansas "big-school" undefeated football team in the past 10 years beside Springdale 2005.  BHS 2010 may never get the full credit it deserves, but they got a ring in a very tough year - cool enough.)

Look close to the same, I always thought BA was a couple of inches taller.

https://twitter.com/IThrowFootballs/status/665742196256043009

Hog Pharm

From what I have seen so far it appears that BA has the stronger arm.

jgphillips3

Quote from: Hog Pharm on November 25, 2015, 02:20:44 pm
From what I have seen so far it appears that BA has the stronger arm.

It's hard to say with what we've seen.  BA has gotten better and stronger every year.  I think, much like the announcers pointed out per Enos, that BA has a much more "live" arm at this point but that AA may be a bit stronger which we would see in his downfield throwing. 

bennyl08

This has always been my view from watching them as well.
Quote from: PorkSoda on May 05, 2016, 09:24:05 pm
damn I thought it was only a color, didn't realize it was named after a liqueur. leave it to benny to make me research the history of chartreuse

Hog Pharm

Quote from: jgphillips3 on November 25, 2015, 03:17:36 pm
It's hard to say with what we've seen.  BA has gotten better and stronger every year.  I think, much like the announcers pointed out per Enos, that BA has a much more "live" arm at this point but that AA may be a bit stronger which we would see in his downfield throwing. 

Very true. I think BA's arm strength is really underrated and has improved each year. AA's arm strength may improve with continued reps as well.

bennyl08

Quote from: Hog Pharm on November 25, 2015, 04:11:08 pm
Very true. I think BA's arm strength is really underrated and has improved each year. AA's arm strength may improve with continued reps as well.

I don't really think his arm strength has improved much over the years, but his ability to has consistently correct technique has improved. The last times I got to see some of the football practices, BA was throwing the deep ball better than Tyler Wilson was. I think it was just a matter of, in the actual games, bad footwork and being scared essentially led to poorer throws that weren't as good. Even in his bad early years, you'd still see a couple passes here and there that made you say wow, he has potential.
damn I thought it was only a color, didn't realize it was named after a liqueur. leave it to benny to make me research the history of chartreuse

onebadrubi

Quote from: bennyl08 on November 25, 2015, 04:14:26 pm
I don't really think his arm strength has improved much over the years, but his ability to has consistently correct technique has improved. The last times I got to see some of the football practices, BA was throwing the deep ball better than Tyler Wilson was. I think it was just a matter of, in the actual games, bad footwork and being scared essentially led to poorer throws that weren't as good. Even in his bad early years, you'd still see a couple passes here and there that made you say wow, he has potential.

That Johnelle bama game was probably still on his mind.  Took three years just to get that out of his head. 

bennyl08

Brandon Allen               Austin Allen   Rafe Peavey                Ty Storey        Ricky Town               Cole Kelley
HS ht/wt        6/2 195 (214 rivals)      6'2 217        6'2 205/212              6'3 216/210     6'3 206/6'4 210         6'7 230/235
rating             87.66 (3*, 4*)             89.5 (4*)     88.44 (4*,3*)            90.88 (4*)      96.02 (4*)                 85.36 (3*)
hs forty?         4.7 (rivals)                  4.77             4.5                           4.92
Hudl               6'1 175                      6'2 205          6'2 212                       6'3/216         6'3 202                     6'7 246
                     4.84 forty                  4.80 forty        4.5 forty, 4.07 shuttle  (rest rivals)    4.65 forty                 34.5' power ball
                     32" vert                      250 bench     290 bench, 32" vert       25" vert       30" vert,
                     190 bench                   380 squat     405 squat                    4.58 shuttle   250 bench, 350 squat
compared to   Mettenberger              nobody who's                                    Drew Locke   Ty Storey...
                     Kessler                  made an impact
notable offers  Arkansas               Ark, ASU, Bama       zona, aub, bay, BC    Bma, aub      Bama, ASU, FSU      Ark, Kent, Ok St.
                                                  ND, Ok st, ole miss   GT, Iowa, lou, mizz,     Lou         UGA, MIA, stan, tenn
                                                  Tenn                    Neb, USC, OM, NC, WV                tex, ucla,
                                                                             UCLA

ricepig

Quote from: bennyl08 on November 25, 2015, 05:09:22 pm
                   Brandon Allen               Austin Allen   Rafe Peavey                Ty Storey        Ricky Town               Cole Kelley
HS ht/wt        6/2 195 (214 rivals)      6'2 217        6'2 205/212              6'3 216/210     6'3 206/6'4 210         6'7 230/235
rating             87.66 (3*, 4*)             89.5 (4*)     88.44 (4*,3*)            90.88 (4*)      96.02 (4*)                 85.36 (3*)
hs forty?         4.7 (rivals)                  4.77             4.5                           4.92
Hudl               6'1 175                      6'2 205          6'2 212                       6'3/216         6'3 202                     6'7 246
                     4.84 forty                  4.80 forty        4.5 forty, 4.07 shuttle  (rest rivals)    4.65 forty                 34.5' power ball
                     32" vert                      250 bench     290 bench, 32" vert       25" vert       30" vert,
                     190 bench                   380 squat     405 squat                    4.58 shuttle   250 bench, 350 squat
compared to   Mettenberger              nobody who's                                    Drew Locke   Ty Storey...
                     Kessler                  made an impact
notable offers  Arkansas               Ark, ASU, Bama       zona, aub, bay, BC    Bma, aub      Bama, ASU, FSU      Ark, Kent, Ok St.
                                                  ND, Ok st, ole miss   GT, Iowa, lou, mizz,     Lou         UGA, MIA, stan, tenn
                                                  Tenn                    Neb, USC, OM, NC, WV                tex, ucla,
                                                                             UCLA

wth is this?

Cinco de Hogo

Add it up,

AA hasn't been is a game with anything meaningful on the line is three years, even the Missouri game when BA could hardly get himself up off the ground.  Rafe Peavey and Ty Storey aren't in the coaches conversation for the most part.

Rick Town was given a scholarship despite the three we have on campus plus the one committ we have. 

We have four QB's with basically the same eligibility.

I can't see anything being a given unless AA is just handed the reins.  Some of you send confusing messages in that regard. 

Any opinion I have is mostly based on who will be the best option to help us win games, but I naturally have a bias towards one of the QB's.  I will never actually know what the difference is between them or what the coaches see. 

The problem I will have is if we don't win with the next man up and that man happens to be AA and we continue to see no opportunity for the backup my questioning of the situation will probably be a lot more severe than it has been to this point.

You absolutely have to have more than one QB ready to play and going into year four there are no excuses...none.

You can't stick you head in the sand with one QB. 

Atlhogfan1

Four seasons in and we will finally have a qb competition.  A sign of what this rebuild was.  The depth at qb and wr is remarkable especially when you consider our offensive focus and where we are at RB as of now.  QB comp is a good thing. Impossible to have an opinion without seeing some practices and scrimmages. 
Quote from: MaconBacon on March 22, 2018, 10:30:04 amWe had a good run in the 90's and one NC and now the whole state still laments that we are a top seed program and have kids standing in line to come to good ole Arkansas.  We're just a flash in the pan boys. 

Pig in the Pokey

Rickey Town was the best QB at the Elite 11 except he had a bad 1st day. Still made the finals and made Trent Dilfer cry....
You must be on one if you think i aint on one! ¥420¥   «roastin da bomb in fayettenam» Purspirit Gang
@Slackaveli

bennyl08

Quote from: ricepig on November 25, 2015, 05:14:01 pm
wth is this?

The answer to that may depend on the size of the screen you are viewing it on...

On a larger display, it is a comparison of 6 hog qb's . Their height and weight listed coming out of HS, what their rating was, forty time from rivals and/or physical attributes from rivals and hudl. Then rivals has the side bar of similar to "..." player, so I thought I'd include some of that. Finally, notable offers from other schools.