Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Jim Harris, 2 former Hog defensive players, discuss the Miss State breakdown

Started by SportsLife, November 24, 2015, 09:22:19 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

SportsLife

Rick David still puts the defensive problems on poor Petrino recruiting. All an interesting analysis from Jim and them.

MC_Hog

JaketheSnake

Quote from: MC_Hog on November 24, 2015, 09:38:28 pm
Honestly it time to quit blaming Petrino.
Petrino's recruiting and could potentially haunt us for several more years be of gaping holes in depth across the board that has caused the need for players to play immediately.  Granted, we can't keep blaming him for losses.  It's on CBB.

Choctaw Hog

elksnort

Really great stuff.
Enjoy listening to both those former Razorbacks' take.

Wish the audio could tune out the background.

Inhogswetrust

Honestly former REAL players would know more about that subject than you...............
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

goshog

Just take a look at the 2012 (would be seniors/redshirt juniors) lb's we signed.

Otha Peters- Gone
AJ Turner- Gone
Vin Ascolese- Never made it

If we're going to be a decent defense next year I really think Hackett needs to make a huge jump. He seems to have the size and speed u look for in a linebacker.

Bowfishinghogfan

We had a pretty good D last year, just because this years isn't so good how is that Petrinos fault. Are we still blaming Bush for numb nuts failures in the White House too.

HognitiveDissonance

Exactly.
If it's all on a coach who isn't here, then he gets all the credit for last year's Top 10 defense.

Can't have it both ways.

Pig In The City

Quote from: Bowfishinghogfan on November 24, 2015, 10:36:39 pm
We had a pretty good D last year, just because this years isn't so good how is that Petrinos fault. Are we still blaming Bush for numb nuts failures in the White House too.
No I'm still blaming Bush for his numb nut failures.

carolinahogger

Pig In The City

Recruiting, recruiting and more recruiting. We need to get where we have enough players in the pipeline that we don't have a drop off in defense. Takes time. I think BB will get us there.

BadHog

Love listening to former players give their input. They've been in the trenches.

I also will be thankful for the day that Petrino's name is not mentioned when discussing the current players/team/circumstances. It's been almost 4 freaking years!
"Rumors are started by haters, spread by the fools and accepted by idiots."

Boarcephus

Nate Allen has a good article in the paper this morning regarding our pass defense.
I need to be more like my dog...if you can't fight it, screw it, or eat it, then piss on it.

Lake City Hog

SEVERAL MORE YEARS?????

This absolutely has to stop! Last year our starting defense was over half Petrino players. This year we still have several Petrino players in the 2 deep, 3 years after he left. Peters left because BB wanted to convert him to fullback. If he had stayed he wouldn't have helped the LB situation anyway!

BB said it himself--he neglected LB recruiting his first 2 years and is now paying the price.

Tusks

Quote from: Boarcephus on November 25, 2015, 08:40:51 am
Nate Allen has a good article in the paper this morning regarding our pass defense.

That would be the first time in the history of sport journalism.
sometimes it's a good and some times it's a schit

DiamondHogFan

Quote from: Lake City Hog on November 25, 2015, 08:47:21 am
SEVERAL MORE YEARS?????

This absolutely has to stop! Last year our starting defense was over half Petrino players. This year we still have several Petrino players in the 2 deep, 3 years after he left. Peters left because BB wanted to convert him to fullback. If he had stayed he wouldn't have helped the LB situation anyway!

BB said it himself--he neglected LB recruiting his first 2 years and is now paying the price.
Along with several times last year saying he wished he would have redshirted Spaight.  He saw this coming...just too late to do anything about it for this year.

hogsanity

Quote from: BadHog on November 25, 2015, 08:25:30 am
Love listening to former players give their input. They've been in the trenches.

I also will be thankful for the day that Petrino's name is not mentioned when discussing the current players/team/circumstances. It's been almost 4 freaking years!

It been almost 10 yet people still bring up HDN, so it's going to be a while.

People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

hogsanity

Quote from: DiamondHogFan on November 25, 2015, 09:40:12 am
Along with several times last year saying he wished he would have redshirted Spaight.  He saw this coming...just too late to do anything about it for this year.

I am sure he would have liked to have put a red shirt on the entire 2013 class. He knew 2013 was a lost season, but he HAD to play a lot of FR just to put a team on the field that did not give up 60 a game. Can you imagine if they had been able to red shirt Spaight, Ellis, Skipper, Kirkland, AC, HH, and the rest of that class? But had they done that who would have played the OL, or LB?
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

Deep Shoat

Quote from: Lake City Hog on November 25, 2015, 08:47:21 am
SEVERAL MORE YEARS?????

You do realize starters are only PART of the equation? 

Why are you Bobby buddies unable to see the issues he left us with, particularly, defensive depth?  The only position he left with depth on the D side of the ball is DE.  Period. 
All Gas, No Brakes!

Redhogs

Did not see anyone giving CBP any credit for last year's great defense...just blame a year further removed from his tenure....defies common sense...is CBP derangement syndrome ever gonna end, apparently not...EVERYTHING from here forward is on Beliema, to say different is disingenuous to say the least.
Will I live long enough to see us win again? Will any of us?

atekido

Quote from: Redhogs on November 25, 2015, 10:12:38 am
Did not see anyone giving CBP any credit for last year's great defense...just blame a year further removed from his tenure....defies common sense...is CBP derangement syndrome ever gonna end, apparently not...EVERYTHING from here forward is on Beliema, to say different is disingenuous to say the least.

How many defensive players from 2008-2011 that were DIRECTLY recruited by Petrino or his staff are in the NFL now playing or will be?  Heck the only big time name is Flowers and Petrino did not do anything to make him good. He was a basically average player out of High school.  It wasn't till 2 years with Coach B that he solidified himself as a great player.   If you do not understand how a lack in recruiting from 2008-2011 can cause issues with development from 2012 and to even 2015 your a lost cause.  Great players pass on knowledge and experience to younger players and when they are the JR and SR guys they wind up doing the same to younger players.  None of that was happening with Petrino on the Defense.  To say the Petrino era is still not affecting the team is ignorant to say the least.

code red

"If what you did yesterday seems big, you haven't done anything today."  Dr. Lou

Youngsta71701

"The more things change the more they stay the same"

Science Fiction Greg

Hilarious.  BP had no trouble winning with whom?  The point is there AREN'T ANY.  They were here when he was here, sure.  He won then.  He didn't recruit anything for NOW.  You see, players he recruited at the end of his tenure would be in their prime years right now (think Brandon Allen, here).  Saying "he didn't have trouble winning with them" is stupid.  Brandon Allen never played for him.  Yet, that's the class we are needing NOW.

It's like some of you guys don't even actually try to think about the issue.  You just lash out with the first silly thought you have, even if it makes no sense in the context of the actual discussion.

Question: how could the lack of players from that class be anyone BUT Petrino's fault?  When there is a giant hole in the team, yes, you can try to make up for it with later classes, but they will be younger, less developed, less experienced, and taking spots away from other positions.  It's a problem.
I spend all my time playing Trackmania, and various board games. You might remember me as Corndog7 or PossibleOatmeal.
Twitter sucks now. I deleted my account. I mostly just use TikTok now.

code red

"If what you did yesterday seems big, you haven't done anything today."  Dr. Lou

Dionysos25

Quote from: carolinahogger on November 25, 2015, 07:48:58 am
I couldn't listen too it, too much background noise.

This.. What the crap.. is this podcast recorded at a Denny's
"Once again we've hit philosophical bedrock with the shovel of a stupid question."

Danny J

Quote from: Youngsta71701 on November 25, 2015, 01:24:46 pm
Yep, that excuse card is getting old.
I have to agree....what about next year? We return most of our defense across the board...one and two deep. So if they are not any better is that still CBP's fault? Hopefully we won't have to worry about it.

Lake City Hog

So every team starts 22 RS seniors? Come on people get real. Petrino played so many freshmen his 1st  two years that we would not have many redshirts left. MOST of his players left last year. Plus BB showed several of Petrino's recruits the door in year 1.

Guess what-- In BB;s 4th and 5th years he is going to be just as bad a shape becasue he didn't redshirt very many players either. Plus, BB has recruited a lot of Juco kids and had a few misses as well.

This has nothing to do with being a "Petrino buddy" or being anti-BB. Every time a new coach comes in some current players always leave, the new coach plays a lot of his recruits and things just don't work out like fans think it should. The easy answer? Blame it on the coach that left.

JaketheSnake

CBP's recruiting caused long term issues and forced CBB to play players for several years that were not ready to play and needed a redshirt.  Some of you need to look a little more logically at that.  He doesn't get credit box he didn't develop last years defense.  Use some common sense.

Soooie21

I agree with this...it will take 4 years of catching up to see the results...

code red

Quote from: Lake City Hog on November 25, 2015, 04:08:32 pm
So every team starts 22 RS seniors? Come on people get real. Petrino played so many freshmen his 1st  two years that we would not have many redshirts left. MOST of his players left last year. Plus BB showed several of Petrino's recruits the door in year 1.

Guess what-- In BB;s 4th and 5th years he is going to be just as bad a shape becasue he didn't redshirt very many players either. Plus, BB has recruited a lot of Juco kids and had a few misses as well.

This has nothing to do with being a "Petrino buddy" or being anti-BB. Every time a new coach comes in some current players always leave, the new coach plays a lot of his recruits and things just don't work out like fans think it should. The easy answer? Blame it on the coach that left.
I agree coach signed on.  NFL folks left.  Now it's on CBP?  Those were his kids.  Not so much now.  I'd venture to say defensive recruiting has regressed.  IMHO

PorkSoda

Quote from: JaketheSnake on November 25, 2015, 06:45:28 pm
CBP's recruiting caused long term issues and forced CBB to play players for several years that were not ready to play and needed a redshirt.  Some of you need to look a little more logically at that.  He doesn't get credit box he didn't develop last years defense.  Use some common sense.
"I became insane, with long intervals of horrible sanity." ― Edgar Allan Poe
"If quantum mechanics hasn't profoundly shocked you, you haven't understood it yet. Everything we call real is made of things that cannot be regarded as real." – Niels Bohr
"A mind stretched to a new idea, never returns to its original dimensions" ~ Oliver Wendell Holmes
Quote from: PonderinHog on August 07, 2023, 06:37:15 pmYeah, we're all here, but we ain't all there.

Soooie21

Steef

IronHog

Iron sharpens iron, So one man sharpens another.

HogInFlorida

Yeah it's time to stop blaming Petrino. BB hasn't done well enough recruiting LBs. let's take a look at the ones he's brought in.

Spaight - the one success story. Great Hog. Will love him till I die. Sad we only got 1 good year from him.

Ramsey, Tavarres - Both promising. Both kicked off the team.

Hackett, Eugene - Both had tons of hype. Both have done nothing.

Ellis - Starter out of necessity. Contributed at times. Liability in pass coverage and struggles to make solo tackles on anybody. Good at blitzing the QB and stopping inside runs.

Harris - Was hyped up all offseason. Hasn't seen the field significantly at all.

Williams - Couldn't really find a home in the LB corps. Got shuffled around with Ellis. Was a starter out of necessity until he got hurt.

Greenlaw - Fantastic LB. Easily our best by far, which  doesn't speak well for the rest of them since he's a true freshman.

So there you have it. The only 2 truly VERY GOOD linebackers that BB has recruited are Spaight and Greenlaw. Some could say Ellis, but he's such a liability covering receivers and RBs out of the backfield that I don't think he'd start for most of the better defenses in the SEC. He is good when blitzing though. But all in all, there have been too many misses with Bielema since he's gotten here in regards to LB recruiting. That needs to improve yesterday.
Quote from: Mike Irwin on June 12, 2013, 09:18:52 pm
I'd rather be hit over the head with a brick than have to revisit the memories of those seven awful months with coach "Smile" in charge.

Wayne Watson

Simon, since you can't, or won't, do what you said you'd do, please don't post here again.

Jim can post his articles here without you pimping your site.

Thanks.
Take a look at http://gridironhistory.com/
IF YOU DON'T TAILGATE WITH HOGVILLE...YOU HAVEN'T BEEN TO A TAILGATE!
Check out www.fearlessfriday.com
We don't rent pigs

Oklahawg

Quote from: HogInFlorida on November 25, 2015, 07:24:33 pm
Yeah it's time to stop blaming Petrino. BB hasn't done well enough recruiting LBs. let's take a look at the ones he's brought in.

Spaight - the one success story. Great Hog. Will love him till I die. Sad we only got 1 good year from him.

Ramsey, Tavarres - Both promising. Both kicked off the team.

Hackett, Eugene - Both had tons of hype. Both have done nothing.

Ellis - Starter out of necessity. Contributed at times. Liability in pass coverage and struggles to make solo tackles on anybody. Good at blitzing the QB and stopping inside runs.

Harris - Was hyped up all offseason. Hasn't seen the field significantly at all.

Williams - Couldn't really find a home in the LB corps. Got shuffled around with Ellis. Was a starter out of necessity until he got hurt.

Greenlaw - Fantastic LB. Easily our best by far, which  doesn't speak well for the rest of them since he's a true freshman.

So there you have it. The only 2 truly VERY GOOD linebackers that BB has recruited are Spaight and Greenlaw. Some could say Ellis, but he's such a liability covering receivers and RBs out of the backfield that I don't think he'd start for most of the better defenses in the SEC. He is good when blitzing though. But all in all, there have been too many misses with Bielema since he's gotten here in regards to LB recruiting. That needs to improve yesterday.

In fairness,

Ellis is far "better than average". His weakness is he has to cover too many RBs and slot WRs. He can't leave the field for a 6th DB...ever.

Hackett and Eugene have both had injuries and are in year 2. Hard to say the book is written on them just yet.

Missing is Jackson (playing a lot as a true frosh at FB) and Graham (came in big enough to be a DE...curious if they can keep him at LB). Jackson could help now at LB but you'd be stepping backwards at both FB and LB to move him now.

LB situation isn't dire, it is shallow. Those are different. The shallowness of both LB and DB lead to being gassed by passing teams. Which leads to poor tackling. Both of which contribute to "bend but don't break" schemes.

Wayne and Porked Tongue...good call.
I am a Hog fan. I was long before my name was etched, twice, on the sidewalks on the Hill. I will be long after Sam Pittman and Eric Mussleman are coaches, and Hunter Yuracheck is AD. I am a Hog fan when we win, when we lose and when we don't play. I love hearing the UA band play the National Anthem on game day, but I sing along to the Alma Mater. I am a Hog fan.<br /><br />A liberal education is at the heart of a civil society, and at the heart of a liberal education is the act of teaching. - Bart Giamatti <br /><br />"It is a puzzling thing. The truth knocks on the door and you say, 'Go away, I'm looking for the truth,' and so it goes away. Puzzling." ― Robert M. Pirsig<br /><br />Love is the most important thing in the world, but baseball is pretty good, too.  – Yogi Berra