Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Randy Shannon

Started by TDHawgs, November 24, 2015, 02:32:05 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

TDHawgs

Maybe losing Randy Shannon was bigger than we thought? What do you guys think?

Kevin

Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you.<br />James 4:7
Reject Every Kind Of Evil 1 Thessalonians 5:22

PorkRinds

Quote from: TDHawgs on November 24, 2015, 02:32:05 pm

Spaight, not Shannon.

ricepig

Uh, ell no. He didn't want Greenlaw. And, unless he was willing to do Ramsey's homework and tests, and keep Josh Williams and Eugene from breaking bones, then I don't see how we lost much.

Hawgey-Davidson

Quote from: ricepig on November 24, 2015, 02:34:19 pm
Uh, ell no. He didn't want Greenlaw. And, unless he was willing to do Ramsey's homework and tests, and keep Josh Williams and Eugene from breaking bones, then I don't see how we lost much.
Preach on Brother Rice!!

ARtillahog

No, losing 4 NFL-level players hurt more.  The DL was supposed to be not as great but a solid piece to the defense this year, and they are just now getting to where they should have been in week 3.  The DL being weaker and lack of depth in the back 7 is the reason for poor play.

A lot of people last year were screaming to PAY Robb Smith before he got away, and now we have people screaming that his scheme is terrible.  This defense should be significantly better next year, but that's just wild speculation on my part.  I just hope the LBs committed can make an immediate impact and at least 1 DB that is a lock-down corner.

AugustaHog

CBB alluded to the fact that having an OC with head coaching experience has been nice, but he once had a position coach with the same experience and it was some good and a lot of bad.  I took that to be Shannon because I couldn't think of another guy who fit those parameters.  I think he was a good LB coach, but the issues he caused within the staff were probably greater than the positives.  Our LBs have not been particularly great in coverage (save Spaight last year) with Shannon or Hargreaves.  For all the wonderful things we have seen from Dre, he has been abused in coverage (not quite as bad as Ellis, but pretty badly).  I'm not sure what is up with the D, but our overall cover skills have seemingly eroded.  Collins, Dean, and Toliver don't look like the same guys from last year, and let's not even discuss what the Safeties are doing.  I am aware we lack the pash rush from a year ago, but our guys aren't even in the same area code on a lot of completed passes, particularly the LBs.

SemperHawg

Randy Shannon wasn't the reason we lost Spaight, he wasn't the one keeping us from having a record amount of injuries, and he wasn't the one keeping Randy Ramsey from making his grades.

So not so much.

TDHawgs

Just asking the question, I do realize we had lost a lot of talent and had injuries, but curious that losing Shannon might have hurt as well. I tend to agree with you guys though, and think it's more of a loss of talent problem.

Big Boi

We lost a lot of talent/experience from last year. Another factor is the SEC is changing. The majority has or in process of transitioning into more tempo, plays, and points. 

DiamondHogFan

Quote from: Big Boi on November 24, 2015, 02:46:30 pm
We lost a lot of talent/experience from last year. Another factor is the SEC is changing. The majority has or in process of transitioning into more tempo, plays, and points.
This.  We need 2 Dre Greenlaws (S/LB types) and a quicker Brooks Ellis.  It's not a coincidence that we play well against Bama and LSU, then fold against the spread offenses.  Our back 7 isn't built to stop the spread right now, and it also makes the front 4 look like they aren't either.

HOGINTENNESSEE

He is a good coach.

But I would agree that lack if talent and depth is probably more this issue.

That being said if CBB wanted to let Vernon go... I wouldn't be upset

idochog

The lack of a decent pass rush exposes every other weakness.  People underestimate the loss of Philon bigtime.  He took a double team so flowers could run free as well as spaight. 

Robb Smith needs more talent. 
I love Jesus!

Hakuna Matata

Vern has already recruited more true LB's than Shannon did. I'll give Shannon credit for bringing Clay Jennings with him, but even that is somewhat questionable with the way our secondary has been performing this season. 

sickboy

I like what we're doing at Linebacker and I'd stick with the course we're headed.

I don't know about how good of a coach Shannon was with linebackers, I'm sure he was capable, but from everything I've heard he was a bit of a cancer within the coaching rooms. I think our program overall is better off without him. Had he brought in some really top-notch linebacker recruits, then maybe it'd be different. But he never built a leg to stand on.

PorkRinds

Quote from: sickboy on November 24, 2015, 03:10:34 pm
I like what we're doing at Linebacker and I'd stick with the course we're headed.

I don't know about how good of a coach Shannon was with linebackers, I'm sure he was capable, but from everything I've heard he was a bit of a cancer within the coaching rooms. I think our program overall is better off without him. Had he brought in some really top-notch linebacker recruits, then maybe it'd be different. But he never built a leg to stand on.

I keep hearing that he was causing issues within the staff.  I've not heard any specifics though.  Care to share what you've heard? I would assume it was after he was passed up for the DC job?

jry04

Losing 2 LBs to graduation, and another to injury combined to the countless LBs who failed to qualify or transferred is our problem. Not Shannon.

Hakuna Matata

Quote from: jry04 on November 24, 2015, 03:13:27 pm
Losing 2 LBs to graduation, and another to injury combined to the countless LBs who failed to qualify or transferred is our problem. Not Shannon.

Shannon never really contributed to resolve that problem either. Hargreaves already has 3 true LB's committed in this class alone. I'm sure there will probably be one more added before February.

sickboy

Quote from: PorkRinds on November 24, 2015, 03:12:57 pm
I keep hearing that he was causing issues within the staff.  I've not heard any specifics though.  Care to share what you've heard? I would assume it was after he was passed up for the DC job?

All I've heard is that Shannon had a big ego. He was a former HC and wore that on his sleeve. I've heard that proper respect wasn't always paid when it came to chain of command with Coach Bielema. I think the two of them probably butted heads pretty hard from time to time and he just wore out his welcome.

HotlantaHog

I thought CBB was a defensive coach? Wasn't that the knock on Petrino -- he took the best kids on defense and moved them to offense, didn't really care much for defense? And CBB was just the opposite?

We have had devastating losses on offense and defense this year. Not sure I understand exactly why the defense has been underwhelming.

IronHog

Quote from: AugustaHog on November 24, 2015, 02:43:10 pm
CBB alluded to the fact that having an OC with head coaching experience has been nice, but he once had a position coach with the same experience and it was some good and a lot of bad.  I took that to be Shannon because I couldn't think of another guy who fit those parameters.  I think he was a good LB coach, but the issues he caused within the staff were probably greater than the positives.  Our LBs have not been particularly great in coverage (save Spaight last year) with Shannon or Hargreaves.  For all the wonderful things we have seen from Dre, he has been abused in coverage (not quite as bad as Ellis, but pretty badly).  I'm not sure what is up with the D, but our overall cover skills have seemingly eroded.  Collins, Dean, and Toliver don't look like the same guys from last year, and let's not even discuss what the Safeties are doing.  I am aware we lack the pash rush from a year ago, but our guys aren't even in the same area code on a lot of completed passes, particularly the LBs.

We've hammered this dead horse but the S&C on the defensive side of the ball needs re-evaluated.....

They overbulked some of these kids.
Iron sharpens iron, So one man sharpens another.

Hollywood_HOGan45

Linebacker play has been terrible. We all expected Ellis to pick up Spaight's slack. It hasn't even been close. Greenlaw has been good but he's playing in his 10th game this weekend.

Too many personnel losses and losing Josh Williams was absolutely huge.

The DL not living up to expectations hasn't helped either.   

IronHog

Quote from: HotlantaHog on November 24, 2015, 03:24:52 pm
I thought CBB was a defensive coach? Wasn't that the knock on Petrino -- he took the best kids on defense and moved them to offense, didn't really care much for defense? And CBB was just the opposite?

We have had devastating losses on offense and defense this year. Not sure I understand exactly why the defense has been underwhelming.

BP's defenses were inconsistent.....not chronically bad. 

This team is just too slow to match up with spread teams.  Some of that is recruiting......some is S&C

IronHog

Quote from: Hollywood_HOGan45 on November 24, 2015, 03:46:05 pm
Linebacker play has been terrible. We all expected Ellis to pick up Spaight's slack. It hasn't even been close. Greenlaw has been good but he's playing in his 10th game this weekend.

Too many personnel losses and losing Josh Williams was absolutely huge.

The DL not living up to expectations hasn't helped either.   

DL is pretty good....they just aren't explosive overall.

Linebackers are horrible.  Ellis needs to lose weight and Greenlaw should be a RS.

Hoggish1

Qhog

Shannon was pretty much exposed as being a name at ARK.  Hog fans love big names, I guess a lot of fans do, but if you read between the lines on a lot of commentary from other coaches and look at the results, I don't think the resume at ARK reads too favorably for Randy Shannon.

OLDHOG

Maybe Miami will hire him back?

Arkansas Fan

We miss his input on the defensive game planning, not his recruiting or coaching the LBs.

BallHog1

Quote from: IronHog on November 24, 2015, 03:49:03 pm

BP's defenses were inconsistent.....not chronically bad. 

This team is just too slow to match up with spread teams.  Some of that is recruiting......some is S&C
I thought I remembered them as being pretty chronically bad....

Jek Tono Porkins

I always thought it was weird last year that Pittman was the Associate Head Coach/O-line coach and Randy Shannon was Senior Associate Head Coach/Linebackers. Two associate head coaches on the same staff? Seems like Randy wanted folks to respect his authoritah.
I have known the troubles I was born to know
I have wanted things a poor man's born to want
And in all my dreams and memories I go running
Through the fields of Arkansas from which I sprung

HOGINTENNESSEE

Quote from: BallHog1 on November 24, 2015, 04:25:02 pm

They were absolutely terrible and chronically bad. That Cox kid for UGA just threw another TD pass.

PorkRinds

Quote from: IronHog on November 24, 2015, 03:50:28 pm

DL is pretty good....they just aren't explosive overall.

Linebackers are horrible.  Ellis needs to lose weight and Greenlaw should be a RS.

Your comments on Ellis and greenlaw are both horse darn. 

IronHog

IMO you evaluate the defense differently when you have a fast strike, dynamic offense.

Overall stats don't matter as much as opportunities for the offense to get ahead and impact plays.

IronHog

Quote from: PorkRinds on November 24, 2015, 04:34:17 pm
Your comments on Ellis and greenlaw are both horse darn. 

Your opinion.

LBers are pretty bad.

Greenlaw might end up being great player but he shouldn't be starting as a true frosh in this scheme.

Ellis was better last year.

rickm1976

I'm an accountant, and I say losing Shannon accounted for 1.3% and losing four great players accounted for 99.7%.  I said I'm an accountant, but I never said I could add too good.  My grammar ain't all that great neither.

opineonswine

Biggus Piggus

If Shannon had brought us linebackers, things would be different, no?
[CENSORED]!

Augustus

I think maybe losing "his" pipeline to Florida may hurt us some in the long run?

But this year? Nah. I think it's more just losing players/injuries/etc

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: AugustaHog on November 24, 2015, 02:43:10 pm

Maybe it was someone before he got here. We don't know unless we know the background of all his Assistants since he's been a head coach. Does anyone know?
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

IronHog

Quote from: Augustus on November 24, 2015, 05:13:28 pm
I think maybe losing "his" pipeline to Florida may hurt us some in the long run?

But this year? Nah. I think it's more just losing players/injuries/etc

FL players so far have had trouble staying in the program.

They've had better luck with North La, Texas, Alabama, etc.

PonderinHog

Quote from: Inhogswetrust on November 24, 2015, 05:20:25 pm
Maybe it was someone before he got here. We don't know unless we know the background of all his Assistants since he's been a head coach. Does anyone know?
Maybe it was a shot at Alvarez.   :D

Augustus

Quote from: IronHog on November 24, 2015, 05:34:05 pm

Yeah, that's a good point... Ken Edwards didn't work out so well.

And, Dominique Reed?! From Camden?! Has been a game changer

regi

I have been thinking about that myself, but if he really didn't think Greenlaw was worth offering a scholarship to, not sure he would make much difference.

IronHog

Quote from: Augustus on November 24, 2015, 05:37:04 pm
Yeah, that's a good point... Ken Edwards didn't work out so well.

And, Dominique Reed?! From Camden?! Has been a game changer

South/East Arkansas speed dominates all.

They just can't get/stay eligible.

HSVhogfan2

Did you watch the Cotton Bowl? The same folks on here that now bash his defense were jizzing all over themselves because of the way AR shut the KState offense down. Couldn't weight till next year, finally got some defensive coaches, yada, yada, yada.

Funny how that works.
"The post you have just read was used with the express written consent of HSVHogfan2."

Veni Sancte Spiritus

Do you wish to rise? Begin by descending. You plan a tower that will pierce the clouds? Lay first the foundation of humility.

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: PonderinHog on November 24, 2015, 05:36:27 pm
Maybe it was a shot at Alvarez.   :D

Since when was Alvarez an Assistant to Bret?
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

HSVhogfan2

Quote from: IronHog on November 24, 2015, 05:34:05 pm

Yep, if you count the quarters lost to "discipline" problems and the players lost, they either need to evaluate better, or find someone on the staff to motivate and relate to them better.
"The post you have just read was used with the express written consent of HSVHogfan2."

Veni Sancte Spiritus

Do you wish to rise? Begin by descending. You plan a tower that will pierce the clouds? Lay first the foundation of humility.

PonderinHog

Quote from: Inhogswetrust on November 24, 2015, 05:43:06 pm
Since when was Alvarez an Assistant to Bret?
That's a mere technicality.   >:(  I'm sure Alvarez assisted him a lot when he was CBB's boss.

ricepig

Quote from: HSVhogfan2 on November 24, 2015, 05:43:51 pm
Yep, if you count the quarters lost to "discipline" problems and the players lost, they either need to evaluate better, or find someone on the staff to motivate and relate to them better.

They've already said that they will change their "evaluation" process. Why do some Florida kids get it, and others don't? Good question.

HogFoo

I believe losing Spaight, Randy ramsey, Eugene, Josh williams, Turner, Peters, etc..etc..  Starting a true Frosh in Greenlaw, that is more missed than Shannon.   Perhaps, had Shannon stayed, he may have landed us some of those florida LBs that were considering us at the time that ended up going to UF when he went there to coach, but i'd say, being in a defense that focuses on having everything funneled towards your LBs making all the plays is the bigger problem than losing Shannon Especially when a thin position is probably the thinnest its every been!   
Basketball is back, baseball always, football was a dumpster fire once again..... but as the phoenix rose from the ashes, BMF Petrino has risen again!!! Lots to look forward to.  <br /><br />As the rain falls, I realize, that some where out there, some one, is wearing a mask while they shower............