Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

No Special Teams Coach

Started by S.A.D.C, November 23, 2015, 09:15:03 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Styflin

BB is involved in special teams as is Seagrest and Singleton. Coach has always used multiple coaches and been involved himself in special teams.

IMO one coach should be in charge of special teams. I have always thought this and I'm pretty sure I have mentioned it on here before this last debacle. I know I have mentioned it on other sites.

presidenthog

Quote from: Styflin on November 23, 2015, 11:34:25 pm
BB is involved in special teams as is Seagrest and Singleton. Coach has always used multiple coaches and been involved himself in special teams.

IMO one coach should be in charge of special teams. I have always thought this and I'm pretty sure I have mentioned it on here before this last debacle. I know I have mentioned it on other sites.
our kickers and special teams as a whole have been awful since partridge left.

tusksincolorado

Quote from: IronHog on November 23, 2015, 05:53:16 pm

We don't know because it's not a priority.

I know who the OL coach is, I know what BB cooks his wife for breakfast, ugly shoes are cool......STs are clearly an afterthought.

So what does he cook Jen for breakfast?

Inquiring minds want to know!
Screw it! I'm an old angry male, live with it!

ricepig

Quote from: presidenthog on November 23, 2015, 11:38:25 pm
our kickers and special teams as a whole have been awful since partridge left.

Yeah, having Hocker made everyone better. Why do we need one person in charge of all the teams, why not let individual coaches have a unit for them to concentrate on?

JoeyCapital

Quote from: tusksincolorado on November 24, 2015, 06:09:27 am
So what does he cook Jen for breakfast?

Inquiring minds want to know!
Have you not seen her? He cooks her whatever the hell she wants, man. Whatever the hell she wants.

I bet she has an Amex Black, too.
What did you say? I missed it. Was distracted. My side piece was arguing with my side piece

Pork Twain

I know who the OL coach is, I know what BB cooks his wife for breakfast, ugly shoes are cool......STs are clearly an afterthought.

Assume much?
"It is better to be an optimist and proven wrong, than a pessimist and proven right." ~Pork Twain

https://www.facebook.com/groups/sweetmemes/

Inhogswetrust

November 24, 2015, 08:05:29 am #57 Last Edit: November 24, 2015, 09:35:06 am by Inhogswetrust
Quote from: IronHog on November 23, 2015, 05:37:21 pm

Disagree.

BB obviously doesn't focus on special teams and it cost him in close games.

Just because there is no one coach dedicated SOLELY to special teams, which describes over 90% of teams in college, doesn't mean a head coach doesn't "focus" on it. NO coach would ever put the game on the line with a part of the game they don't "focus" on.
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

PorkRinds

You can say it's not a priority, but that's obviously not true.  I mean sure, offense and defense obviously get practiced more, but there are clues that tell you they work on special teams every single week.  One of the biggest clues being the number of guys they've moved in and out in returning roles.  The punt return guy has changed a few times, and kick off returns have been changed almost weekly until Reed started getting in there and showed flashes.  In fact, I think he may take one to the house this next week.  He's been close a couple of times.  But the fact that they've experimented repeatedly with who takes the return duties shows they work on it frequently.

bigdaddyhawg

Well, it seems to me our special teams have actually been pretty decent this year.  I'm not remembering our ST giving up lots of long returns.  Seems our punting has been pretty solid.  We seem to kind of win the field position battle quite often, and that's a reflection of ST's I think.

We haven't had lot of really good returns, but we haven't turned the ball over in ST's that I remember.  Reed had a big KO return vs. LSU, and I think Dean had a good one vs. OM, maybe.

You're focusing on one play when a kid was playing out of position due to a very recent injury, and he screwed the pooch HUGE.  But AV is a kid no one in their right mind would EVER expect to make that mistake, yet he did.

Beyond that, our FG kicking has not been great, but it has improved.  But how in the world would spending ALL our practice time on ST's help our FG kickers kick the ball longer and straighter??  But even that problem is getting fixed, and which you should be able to see.
Let us then turn this government back into the channel in which the framers of the Constitution originally placed it.  Abraham Lincoln, 1858

tusksincolorado

Quote from: golf2day on November 24, 2015, 07:46:01 am
Have you not seen her? He cooks her whatever the hell she wants, man. Whatever the hell she wants.

I bet she has an Amex Black, too.

I still want to know what he cooks for Jen!

Because I am going to start feeding my wife the same stuff!
Screw it! I'm an old angry male, live with it!

IronHog

Iron sharpens iron, So one man sharpens another.

BigoBoys

Quote from: IronHog on November 23, 2015, 05:37:21 pm

Disagree.

BB obviously doesn't focus on special teams and it cost him in close games.

Do you get to go to practice? 

IronHog

Quote from: BigoBoys on November 24, 2015, 04:49:32 pm
Do you get to go to practice? 

No.

They can't kick FGs and he talks zero about STs.

As much as he talks he'd get it in there 😄

bigdaddyhawg

Quote from: IronHog on November 24, 2015, 06:18:14 pm
They can't kick FGs and he talks zero about STs.

He does talk about special teams.  He did yesterday.

He talks about "all three phases" quite often.

Outside of one replacement blowing his coached assignment, what other special team blunders were there Sat night?
Let us then turn this government back into the channel in which the framers of the Constitution originally placed it.  Abraham Lincoln, 1858

Pork Twain

Quote from: IronHog on November 24, 2015, 04:07:38 pm
Don't hear him talk about it much in pressers, etc.
I am thinking that as much as you talk about how much he talks, you don't really listen to him talk that often.
"It is better to be an optimist and proven wrong, than a pessimist and proven right." ~Pork Twain

IronHog

Quote from: bigdaddyhawg on November 24, 2015, 06:23:57 pm

He does talk about special teams.  He did yesterday.

He talks about "all three phases" quite often.

Outside of one replacement blowing his coached assignment, what other special team blunders were there Sat night?

No big ones.

However, this isn't the first kicking problem that's cost them (or almost) a game.

ricepig

Quote from: Pork Twain on November 25, 2015, 07:40:05 am
I am thinking that as much as you talk about how much he talks, you don't really listen to him talk that often.

Nor does he read and comprehend very well, but he does seem able to repeat a point he wishes to make, often.......

threeNout

Only a dinosaur kind of team would have a full time special teams coach.

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: IronHog on November 25, 2015, 07:42:11 am

No big ones.

However, this isn't the first kicking problem that's cost them (or almost) a game.

Name one coach where that's not true of anywhere or in their career....................usually multiple games also.
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

Pork Twain

Quote from: Inhogswetrust on November 25, 2015, 08:33:08 am
Name one coach where that's not true of anywhere or in their career....................usually multiple games also.
Reminds me of the people that constantly question a coach's play calling on one play that did not work out but are mum for the rest.

Styflin

Quote from: ricepig on November 24, 2015, 07:37:50 am
Yeah, having Hocker made everyone better. Why do we need one person in charge of all the teams, why not let individual coaches have a unit for them to concentrate on?

Largely most teams don't coach special teams by committee. We have lost several games due to special teams under BB. My perception is that multiple coaches giving varying directions and maybe we need one voice to follow within those units.

Across college football each week many games are decided on special teams. It can and will cost you a chance at being an elite team fighting for a playoff spot. Take a look at Michigan and Michigan St this year.

We aren't effective on our special teams. Something is wrong. I hope they get it figured out soon.

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: Pork Twain on November 25, 2015, 10:16:36 am
Reminds me of the people that constantly question a coach's play calling on one play that did not work out but are mum for the rest.

When they work it is always a brilliant call..........when they don't it is always a stupid call.

IronHog

Quote from: Inhogswetrust on November 25, 2015, 02:54:20 pm
When they work it is always a brilliant call..........when they don't it is always a stupid call.

We now know why BB had a Nutt reputation at Wisconsin.

He's had a pretty solid team past two years but his game day performance is often lacking.

tophawg19

Ken Turner where have you gone. those were the good old days .
if you ain't a hawg you ain't chitlins

longpig

Quote from: Styflin on November 25, 2015, 11:37:34 am
Largely most teams don't coach special teams by committee. We have lost several games due to special teams under BB. My perception is that multiple coaches giving varying directions and maybe we need one voice to follow within those units.

Across college football each week many games are decided on special teams. It can and will cost you a chance at being an elite team fighting for a playoff spot. Take a look at Michigan and Michigan St this year.

We aren't effective on our special teams. Something is wrong. I hope they get it figured out soon.

The vast majority of special teamers are starters and backups, practice time spent on special teams is practice time taken away from offense and defense?  An extremely good kick blocker put a move on a new guy last saturday, it happens.
Don't be scared, be smart.

LZH

When is the last time we took multiple punts or kick returns to the house for a touchdown during a stretch of games? How long ago has it been since our punter or kicker was at the top of the SEC in averages? We do not put an emphasis on special teams, and it has showed repeatedly.... Especially Saturday night.

This is one reason that I say we can expect to lose one or two games every year that we either should have won, or already had the game in the bag only to wind up blowing it at the end. Bielema must take responsibility for this, and it would be a great idea if he took over the special teams himself. Especially since he appears to be ok with letting the coordinators do their own thing.

PonderinHog

I thought our special teams played better than MSU's last week, as a whole.  Reed gave us better field position on KORs.  Both teams missed a kick.  And we punted better than them.   ;)

LZH

Quote from: PonderinHog on November 26, 2015, 09:27:45 am
I thought our special teams played better than MSU's last week, as a whole.  Reed gave us better field position on KORs.  Both teams missed a kick.  And we punted better than them.   ;)

That makes me think of someone who says "my Pappy smoked two packs of non-filtered cigarettes every day all of his life and lived to be 86 years old." And my first thought after that would be, "how long would he have lived had he left those damn cigarettes alone?"

I am not going to call out the kid by name, but he clearly did not know what to do on that field goal that cost us the game. That wasn't a missed step or getting whipped on the line....that was confusion and/or being unprepared. That is a coaching problem.

BB says he'll take care of it. Fine, we'll see.

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: IronHog on November 25, 2015, 08:33:28 pm

He's had a pretty solid team past two years but his game day performance is often lacking.

I meant ALL coaches in general NOT specifically Bret.

ricepig

Quote from: LZH on November 26, 2015, 09:15:20 am
When is the last time we took multiple punts or kick returns to the house for a touchdown during a stretch of games? How long ago has it been since our punter or kicker was at the top of the SEC in averages? We do not put an emphasis on special teams, and it has showed repeatedly.... Especially Saturday night.

This is one reason that I say we can expect to lose one or two games every year that we either should have won, or already had the game in the bag only to wind up blowing it at the end. Bielema must take responsibility for this, and it would be a great idea if he took over the special teams himself. Especially since he appears to be ok with letting the coordinators do their own thing.

When we had two Joe Adams and Dennis Johnson, talent helps. Korliss had the potential, but we know where that lead to. In the punting department, I think Irwin-Hill and Baker have done alright. Now, place kicker and kickoff man after Hocker have been terrible, no doubt.

LZH

Quote from: ricepig on November 26, 2015, 10:17:58 am
When we had two Joe Adams and Dennis Johnson, talent helps. Korliss had the potential, but we know where that lead to. In the punting department, I think Irwin-Hill and Baker have done alright. Now, place kicker and kickoff man after Hocker have been terrible, no doubt.

Yeah, but ricepig, when a kid on the line doesn't know to block down (or whatever his assignment was supposed to be), that's a different story. It's like a snap hook off the tee box, if you don't do anything to correct the problem you will be yanking the ball OB from here on out.

ricepig

Quote from: LZH on November 26, 2015, 12:13:59 pm
Yeah, but ricepig, when a kid on the line doesn't know to block down (or whatever his assignment was supposed to be), that's a different story. It's like a snap hook off the tee box, if you don't do anything to correct the problem you will be yanking the ball out of bounds from here on out.

He was on the left side, due to an injury last week against LSU, he moved to the right side this week. The kid knows what to do, he just didn't execute. How is that any coach's fault?

LZH

Quote from: ricepig on November 26, 2015, 12:17:44 pm
He was on the left side, due to an injury last week against LSU, he moved to the right side this week. The kid knows what to do, he just didn't execute. How is that any coach's fault?

Well, he didn't just move himself to the right side. So it is up to the coaches to make damn sure he knows his assignment, especially since he swapped sides.

Maybe you know something I don't, and it was a once-in-a-season screw up, but that kid had the look of someone that had no idea what he was supposed to do. Ultimately, the special teams coach gets the blame for that... Or whoever was playing special teams coach that week.

Like I said earlier, getting whipped off of the snap or totally missing on a block is one thing, but being lost means either he should not have been in there in the first place, or his coaches failed to make sure he knew what he was supposed to do.

Inhogswetrust

November 26, 2015, 01:01:43 pm #84 Last Edit: November 26, 2015, 01:13:53 pm by Inhogswetrust
Quote from: LZH on November 26, 2015, 12:25:02 pm
Well, he didn't just move himself to the right side. So it is up to the coaches to make damn sure he knows his assignment, especially since he swapped sides.

Maybe you know something I don't, and it was a once-in-a-season screw up, but that kid had the look of someone that had no idea what he was supposed to do. Ultimately, the special teams coach gets the blame for that... Or whoever was playing special teams coach that week.

Like I said earlier, getting whipped off of the snap or totally missing on a block is one thing, but being lost means either he should not have been in there in the first place, or his coaches failed to make sure he knew what he was supposed to do.

IF every player did their assignment 100% correct every time football would be boring. Besides the variable you didn't mention was there are players on the OTHER side of the line of scrimmage trying to do theirs as well. Somebody is going to not do their job or get beat by the opponent they are trying to do it against on dang near every play. One can only hope it isn't a critical part of the play.

ricepig

Quote from: LZH on November 26, 2015, 12:25:02 pm

Why don't you watch every extra point that game and get back to me. We get it, it's the coaches fault, I've read this narrative from you every week. We have a coach for each unit, they split up the responsibilities. He wasn't lost, he just didn't do his job, have you blown up Pittman on every missed assignment be an O-linemen.

LZH

Quote from: ricepig on November 26, 2015, 01:11:36 pm
Why don't you watch every extra point that game and get back to me. We get it, it's the coaches fault, I've read this narrative from you every week. We have a coach for each unit, they split up the responsibilities. He wasn't lost, he just didn't do his job, have you blown up Pittman on every missed assignment be an O-linemen.

You haven't "read this narrative from me every week"....because I've been relatively quiet this year compared to the past two years. I just see it differently than most. Yes, the kid missed his assignment. But, to me, he missed it badly enough for me to question why. Did he not get enough reps?... etc.

As for your reference to Pittman, his squad practices those plays and techniques over and over and over. It seems clear to me that our special teams don't put much time into their preparation.

Its over and done with, anyway. Frankly I am surprised that we've done as well this year as we have. It just gives me a Class A case of heartburn when something like that happens and costs us a game (even though we were fortunate not to be down be three or four TD's at the time).

ricepig

Quote from: LZH on November 26, 2015, 02:55:48 pm
You haven't "read this narrative from me every week"....because I've been relatively quiet this year compared to the past two years. I just see it differently than most. Yes, the kid missed his assignment. But, to me, he missed it badly enough for me to question why. Did he not get enough reps?... etc.

As for your reference to Pittman, his squad practices those plays and techniques over and over and over. It seems clear to me that our special teams don't put much time into their preparation.

Its over and done with, anyway. Frankly I am surprised that we've done as well this year as we have. It just gives me a Class A case of heartburn when something like that happens and costs us a game (even though we were fortunate not to be down be three or four TD's at the time).

Well, if you have been on the left side all year and they tell you your first move is to step to the inside, and due to injury, the move you to the right and your first move is to step to the inside, then I'd say they practiced it. It's simple, the player didn't execute his job, I don't know why you feel the need to put it on a coach. The player was a TE, a blocking TE for that matter, it's a simple basic play.

LZH

Quote from: ricepig on November 26, 2015, 03:01:44 pm
Well, if you have been on the left side all year and they tell you your first move is to step to the inside, and due to injury, the move you to the right and your first move is to step to the inside, then I'd say they practiced it. It's simple, the player didn't execute his job, I don't know why you feel the need to put it on a coach. The player was a TE, a blocking TE for that matter, it's a simple basic play.

It is a simple play.... Can't argue with that.

Pork Twain

Quote from: IronHog on November 25, 2015, 08:33:28 pm

You are really setting the bar for yourself today.