Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Miles Addressing The Media at 12:30 Today.

Started by hogcard1964, November 23, 2015, 08:49:52 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Aporkalypse Now

Quote from: jkstock04 on November 23, 2015, 10:17:32 am
And I would wager a lot that he couldn't. Guess we will never know for sure thank God.

So you don't think that Arkansas is a good enough school that a coach with a very good/great pedigree could come in and pull in some huge classes and win a lot of games? I disagree.

For example, I think Nick Saban could come to Arkansas and win a national title within six seasons.

And Les isn't as far behind Nick as some would like to pretend.

longpig

Quote from: hoglady on November 23, 2015, 09:57:14 am
The reason the fans quit is because they see that quit in the team.
Bama didn't quit after that Ole Miss loss / and Ole Miss didn't quit after the loss to us.
I mean if by some act of God Bama loses to Auburn and Ole Miss beats Ms. St. - Ole Miss wins the West.
Crazy things can happen when you aren't a bunch of quitters.

And that's what LSU teams and fans do, and there's nothing the HC can do about it.  LSU is a talent loaded feeder to the NFL like Miami of late, occasionally a great team will happen or not.
Don't be scared, be smart.

longpig

Quote from: Aporkalypse Now on November 23, 2015, 10:28:56 am
So you don't think that Arkansas is a good enough school that a coach with a very good/great pedigree could come in and pull in some huge classes and win a lot of games? I disagree.

For example, I think Nick Saban could come to Arkansas and win a national title within six seasons.

A coach with a very good/great pedigree like Bret Bielema, perhaps?

Don't be scared, be smart.

hoglady

Quote from: Aporkalypse Now on November 23, 2015, 10:01:19 am

That is just silly. LSU hasn't quit anything. They are 7-3 with those 3 losses being to three very tough in conference opponents.

I mean seriously, that is just silly.

LSU sure looked on Saturday like they had given up on the year.
They have 2 more games - won't be surprised to see them lose both of them.
Inside every "older" person is a younger person wondering what the hell happened?

"Compassion for animals is intimately associated with goodness of character, and it may be confidently asserted that he who is cruel to animals cannot be a good man."
― Arthur Schopenhauer, The Basis of Morality

Hoggish1

Quote from: Kevin on November 23, 2015, 09:30:43 am
i don't want him to leave

Right.  We need him to stay so we can keep Das Boot...

Hoggish1

Quote from: Tim Harris on November 23, 2015, 09:39:30 am
I know most here think Les is one of the worst coaches in the SEC but in 11 seasons there he has had double digit wins 7 times. 

With the recruiting that's right under his nose, it shouldn't be so hard for even Less to win 10 or more games a season.

Besides, it's about who he loses to, not the number of wins he has...

Hogarusa

So....

2 pages and I havent see anyone answer-  is it unusual that he is meeting with the media at 12:30 on a Monday?
I'll ride the wave where it takes me

Hoggish1

Quote from: Aporkalypse Now on November 23, 2015, 09:46:05 am

I bet he could get a top 15 class to Arkansas in 3 out of 5 seasons and get a few 10 win seasons .

Nonsense.  I bet you wouldn't take your own bet...

Bacons Rebellion

I can honestly say there is no other SEC coach that inspires confidence in me like Les Miles. I can therefore, describe him as "inspirational." I will sad if he goes.

Hoggish1

Quote from: longtimeHogfan on November 23, 2015, 09:49:27 am
I like Les.  I don't like his team but he's a fun guy.  I could see spending a day fishing or hunting with Les and having a good time.  Someone pointed out he'd fit right in with a pre-game sports show somewhere.  He could have his pick IMO. 

Well no doubt, but what exactly does that have to do with winning...?

Aporkalypse Now

Quote from: longpig on November 23, 2015, 10:31:25 am
A coach with a very good/great pedigree like Bret Bielema, perhaps?

Yes yes, I think he will get us there. Not as fast as Saban or even Miles would do so, but just as Miles isn't that far behind Saban, Bielema isn't that far behind him either. In fact , I would say MIles > recruiter than Bielema, but Bielema > gameday coach than Miles, and that has been proven out three years in a row now where Bielema definitely outcoached him mano a mano.

I DO think we have a coach who can win a national title here now though. He just needs to pick up the recruiting some.

Smokehouse

Why would he announce that 2016 is his last season? Seems like a good way to kill recruiting this year. "Hey, I'm only going to be here one more year, but you should sign on anyway, the AD promises he'll find a good coach!"

If he announces anything, it's that he's done after this season.
QuoteSometimes a warrior just has to lay down on the ground there for a minute and just have a good bleed. Just bleed.

Words of wisdom from John Pelphrey.

riccoar

If they can him, his successor will be expected to produce quickly.  #1 recruiting class in 2016.  Be interesting to see how this plays out.

Motley Que

Quote from: onebadrubi on November 23, 2015, 09:03:09 am
Don't all coaches meet with the media on Mondays?
That's what I was thinking, but rumors are more fun.  Don't ya think?

Aporkalypse Now

I think he's probably just going to announce that he has a new favorite flavor of grass. Or maybe he's switching to a vape.

jkstock04

Quote from: Aporkalypse Now on November 23, 2015, 10:28:56 am

I don't think much of Les Miles. I think he underachieves. When ESPN reported we had offered him 5 million/year to come here I absolutely cringed...you may have rejoiced.

I think Bielema is a better coach than Miles. What I'm afraid will happen is LSU will hire an innovative coach and they will become a true powerhouse. It's better for Arkansas if these rumors are false.
Thanks for the F Shack. 

Love,

Dirty Mike and the Boys

HognVA

Quote from: hogsanity on November 23, 2015, 08:58:28 am
I think he could announce 2016 will be his last. I am not sure LSU wants to be hunting for a coach with so many other jobs open, and you know a few more are going to open up once the season ends.

Les is in a weird spot, 62 years old is a little late to go try to start at someplace new, and a bigger school may not want to take on a older guy who is not a flashy spread offense guy. So, to resign right now may be the end for Les as far as a major college coach. Staying through 2016 lets him have one more year, likely reduces the buyout LSu has to pay, and gives LSu a chance to take their time finding a new coach, likely in a year with fewer jobs being open.

That would make recruiting difficult.

Professor Psychosis

Quote from: Smokehouse on November 23, 2015, 10:46:16 am
Why would he announce that 2016 is his last season? Seems like a good way to kill recruiting this year. "Hey, I'm only going to be here one more year, but you should sign on anyway, the AD promises he'll find a good coach!"

If he announces anything, it's that he's done after this season.

Exactly.  There's no way they'd let him resign after 2016, unless there was a head-coach-in-waiting already on staff and announced.  If he's leaving, he's leaving after the A&M game, or the bowl game at the latest.

GoHogs1091

Quote from: Harry Rex Vonner on November 23, 2015, 10:11:41 am
the expectations are historically high in the SEC West - maybe the highest in college football history for a conference 

take "world class" Dabo Swinney and Jimbo Fisher out of the pansy ACC and put them in the SEC West - they would not come close to dominating - same with TCU's coach, Bob Stoops, even Captain Comeback at Michigan

It would really depend on if Dabo Swinney were to be able to bring his entire current Coaching Staff with him to the SEC.

Other than his new Quarterbacks Coach (who has relatively low amount of experience), the rest of Swinney's current Coaching Staff is elite.

nole10591

Quote from: Harry Rex Vonner on November 23, 2015, 09:36:43 am
I agree, I've never been impressed with Fisher - that head coach in waiting thing for him at FSU was weird
HAHAHAHAHAHAHA
So long lost DECADE !!!

sickboy

Aporkalypse Now

Quote from: jkstock04 on November 23, 2015, 10:52:35 am
I don't think much of Les Miles. I think he underachieves. When ESPN reported we had offered him 5 million/year to come here I absolutely cringed...you may have rejoiced.

I think Bielema is a better coach than Miles. What I'm afraid will happen is LSU will hire an innovative coach and they will become a true powerhouse. It's better for Arkansas if these rumors are false.

I would have been happy with Miles, that's true.

I'm also happy with Bielema.

Les is an odd duck, that's for sure, but obviously the kids he recruits and who eventually play for him love him, and all the guy does is win.

Bielema is pretty weird too, I mean all his mouthing and darn when he hasn't really won anything here yet, that's just odd. But he's our weirdo, so I guess that is okay.

I've no problem with our fans disliking Miles, I'm just saying from an LSU standpoint, they would be stupid to fire the guy.

Smokehouse

Quote from: Professor Psychosis on November 23, 2015, 10:54:47 am
Exactly.  There's no way they'd let him resign after 2016, unless there was a head-coach-in-waiting already on staff and announced.  If he's leaving, he's leaving after the A&M game, or the bowl game at the latest.

He could retire after 2016... if he waits until 2016 to announce it. Then he could get the Beamer victory lap treatment as a national championship winning coach. Announcing he's retiring after 2016 before this recruiting class signs their LOIs would be really dumb, though.
QuoteSometimes a warrior just has to lay down on the ground there for a minute and just have a good bleed. Just bleed.

Words of wisdom from John Pelphrey.

onebadrubi

Quote from: jkstock04 on November 23, 2015, 09:12:09 am
According to bleacher report...yes. Buyout will have zero bearing in decision...and they said it was 15 million.

I'm just catching up on this thread, but 15 million is to Les and 2 million to assistant.  Whats not been made clear though is Less's (intentional) contract one where if he accepts another job they make up the difference if any.  I am sure the assistants contracts are structured that way, but not all HC's are that way. 

Hogarusa

Jimbo Fisher has a national title, a playoff appearence, a Heisman winner, and a 67-13 record.  I still cant follow why FSU bothers so many Hogvillians so much that you cant see straight.
I'll ride the wave where it takes me

onebadrubi

Quote from: Hogarusa on November 23, 2015, 10:40:23 am
So....

2 pages and I havent see anyone answer-  is it unusual that he is meeting with the media at 12:30 on a Monday?

All I can find is Yes he has a press conferences every monday during the season and reporters are having stories up around 1:15.  So that would make a lot of sense for a noon -12:30 presser. 

tusksincolorado

"Les is an odd duck, that's for sure, but obviously the kids he recruits and who eventually play for him love him, and all the guy does is win.

Bielema is pretty weird too, I mean all his mouthing and darn when he hasn't really won anything here yet, that's just odd. But he's our weirdo, so I guess that is okay."

Its definitely a  strange Midwestern humor thing.....
Screw it! I'm an old angry male, live with it!

Michael D Huff AIA

ESPN just announced that "there is a very good possibility" that LSU fires Les "by the end of the day".

Crap.

onebadrubi

Quote from: Hogarusa on November 23, 2015, 11:10:35 am
Jimbo Fisher has a national title, a playoff appearence, a Heisman winner, and a 67-13 record.  I still cant follow why FSU bothers so many Hogvillians so much that you cant see straight.

I hate FSU for being criminal state and the awful handling of Winston.  That being said if it's other reasons maybe they are just mad Dalvin Cook chose FSU over us. 

ldfergu

Quote from: ricepig on November 23, 2015, 11:25:27 am
https://twitter.com/schadjoe/status/668842207286292481

Could u imagine being paid 15-17 million dollars to stop doing your job?? I'd be like uhhhh ok, where do I sign?  Although to someone who has made millions over their career it's got to be a big hit to your ego. Like we don't want you to coach so bad that we'd be willing to pay you a bazillion dollars to just stop. Crazy world we live in

Pork Twain

Quote from: hogsanity on November 23, 2015, 08:58:28 am
I think he could announce 2016 will be his last. I am not sure LSU wants to be hunting for a coach with so many other jobs open, and you know a few more are going to open up once the season ends.

Les is in a weird spot, 62 years old is a little late to go try to start at someplace new, and a bigger school may not want to take on a older guy who is not a flashy spread offense guy. So, to resign right now may be the end for Les as far as a major college coach. Staying through 2016 lets him have one more year, likely reduces the buyout LSu has to pay, and gives LSu a chance to take their time finding a new coach, likely in a year with fewer jobs being open.
Not sure why LSU would be worried about looking for a coach, they would jump to the top of most lists.
"It is better to be an optimist and proven wrong, than a pessimist and proven right." ~Pork Twain

https://www.facebook.com/groups/sweetmemes/

Danny J

Miles' biggest mistake? Allowing Chavis to leave. I said before the season he would be on the hot seat after this year....then when they were #2 I figured it would be the 2016 season but that was before they imploded. Chavis was the reason they were still competing in the west.

Dominicanhog

the fact that it is happening before the season is over tells me they have a candidate in mind... it may very well be announced after next weeks games..

onebadrubi

Quote from: Danny J on November 23, 2015, 11:31:47 am
Miles' biggest mistake? Allowing Chavis to leave. I said before the season he would be on the hot seat after this year....then when they were #2 I figured it would be the 2016 season but that was before they imploded. Chavis was the reason they were still competing in the west.

I think it was LSU that Chavis wasn't happy with.  It's well known Chavis left because he could not get his contract guaranteed if Miles were to be fired or leave. 

onebadrubi

Someone go dig up the history of firing a coach like this with a big buyout.  One program comes to mind and they are probably the SEC school in the most debt, Tenner. 

MissippHog

Quote from: GoHogs1091 on November 23, 2015, 10:55:34 am
It would really depend on if Dabo Swinney were to be able to bring his entire current Coaching Staff with him to the SEC.

Other than his new Quarterbacks Coach (who has relatively low amount of experience), the rest of Swinney's current Coaching Staff is elite.
Who's on that staff again?   ;)

hoglady

Quote from: onebadrubi on November 23, 2015, 11:20:11 am
I hate FSU for being criminal state and the awful handling of Winston.  That being said if it's other reasons maybe they are just mad Dalvin Cook chose FSU over us. 

I didn't like Fisher back from his OC days at LSU.
Hot head.
Inside every "older" person is a younger person wondering what the hell happened?

"Compassion for animals is intimately associated with goodness of character, and it may be confidently asserted that he who is cruel to animals cannot be a good man."
― Arthur Schopenhauer, The Basis of Morality

Dominicanhog

They'll go with an offensive minded coach, I think they are tired of 3 yards and cloud of penalties...

Atlhogfan1

LSU has lost so much talent to the NFL they were bound to have to go through a rebuild at some point.  They are a season away from being really good.  Not that I think Les is a great coach. LSU has had 18 players drafted in just the last two drafts.  Tough to keep winning at the high level they were.  LSU had 11 players declare early for the 2013 draft.  17 total in 2 drafts. 

LSU might want to be careful to not give up their physical mentality by going too far finesse offensively.  No reason to go the route Texas did or A&M is.  They just need to give the talent recruited to replace all that has left in recent seasons a chance to grow. 
Quote from: MaconBacon on March 22, 2018, 10:30:04 amWe had a good run in the 90's and one NC and now the whole state still laments that we are a top seed program and have kids standing in line to come to good ole Arkansas.  We're just a flash in the pan boys. 

Bowfishinghogfan

He's not going anywhere. He has one of the best records over the last decade. More useless media talk. Who could they replace him with that has that type of success over the last decade. The same way Mark isn't leaving GA. Most teams would die for 9-10 win seasons year in and out

rhames

Quote from: Dominicanhog on November 23, 2015, 11:36:09 am
the fact that it is happening before the season is over tells me they have a candidate in mind... it may very well be announced after next weeks games..

Well I'm sure every AD has a candidate in mind before letting a couch go
"I'm too drunk to taste this chicken"

"Can we get some waffles after we get some ass?" - Aunt Tiffany Freeman

Quote from: Hamdsome 1 on September 05, 2023, 06:43:26 pmSTHU. I get in more steps per day, at work, than you could possibly fathom.
The only down time my legs see is when seated in 1st Class.

rhames

Quote from: Atlhogfan1 on November 23, 2015, 11:55:46 am
LSU has lost so much talent to the NFL they were bound to have to go through a rebuild at some point.  They are a season away from being really good.  Not that I think Les is a great coach. LSU has had 18 players drafted in just the last two drafts.  Tough to keep winning at the high level they were.  LSU had 11 players declare early for the 2013 draft.  17 total in 2 drafts. 

LSU might want to be careful to not give up their physical mentality by going too far finesse offensively.  No reason to go the route Texas did or A&M is.  They just need to give the talent recruited to replace all that has left in recent seasons a chance to grow. 

No. They are a qb away from being really good
"I'm too drunk to taste this chicken"

"Can we get some waffles after we get some ass?" - Aunt Tiffany Freeman

Quote from: Hamdsome 1 on September 05, 2023, 06:43:26 pmSTHU. I get in more steps per day, at work, than you could possibly fathom.
The only down time my legs see is when seated in 1st Class.

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: rhames on November 23, 2015, 12:00:00 pm

No. They are a qb away from being really good

Their defense isn't near what it has been and it isn't because Chavis left. The focus has been on the offense but their defense isn't an "LSU" defense we are used to seeing. 
Quote from: MaconBacon on March 22, 2018, 10:30:04 amWe had a good run in the 90's and one NC and now the whole state still laments that we are a top seed program and have kids standing in line to come to good ole Arkansas.  We're just a flash in the pan boys. 

Atlhogfan1

Why would Jimbo leave a basketball centric conference with multiple private colleges and academic snobs to come into the SECW?  It is a blood bath in terms of competition.  Clemson and FSU are finally living up to what they should be doing in that conference. 

Stewhog 11

Question: if Les gets 15 million from his buyout, will we get 10% commission for helping him work that contract extension?

Pig in the Pokey

Quote from: Aporkalypse Now on November 23, 2015, 10:01:19 am

That is just silly. LSU hasn't quit anything. They are 7-3 with those 3 losses being to three very tough in conference opponents.

I mean seriously, that is just silly.
it's really 8-3 b/c the first creampuff game got cancelled.
You must be on one if you think i aint on one! ¥420¥   «roastin da bomb in fayettenam» Purspirit Gang

GoHogs1091

Quote from: MissippHog on November 23, 2015, 11:38:56 am
Who's on that staff again?   ;)

Well since you asked.

Venables   4 National Championship games
Brooks   1 National Championship game
Pearman   2 National Championship games

Hobby   Coached in the NFL under at that time Saints DC Gary Gibbs.
Reed   Coached in the NFL under the late legendary Eagles DC Jim Johnson.

Caldwell   37 years of experience in college coaching

Scott   Coached an All-American Wide Receiver every year from 2011-13 and a first-round draft pick in both 2012 and 2013.  Named one of the top-25 recruiters in the nation in 2015.  Named ACC Recruiter-of-the-Year in 2015. 

Elliott   Has coached a 1,000-yard rusher three times.  Named one of the top-25 recruiters in the nation in 2015.  Named one of the top-10 recruiters in the ACC in 2015.

PonderinHog

Quote from: onebadrubi on November 23, 2015, 11:38:21 am
Someone go dig up the history of firing a coach like this with a big buyout.  One program comes to mind and they are probably the SEC school in the most debt, Tenner.
And Notre Dame and Charley.