Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Miles Addressing The Media at 12:30 Today.

Started by hogcard1964, November 23, 2015, 08:49:52 am

Previous topic - Next topic

hogcard1964

Anyone think Les tells them to scratch and resigns?

hogsanity

I think he could announce 2016 will be his last. I am not sure LSU wants to be hunting for a coach with so many other jobs open, and you know a few more are going to open up once the season ends.

Les is in a weird spot, 62 years old is a little late to go try to start at someplace new, and a bigger school may not want to take on a older guy who is not a flashy spread offense guy. So, to resign right now may be the end for Les as far as a major college coach. Staying through 2016 lets him have one more year, likely reduces the buyout LSu has to pay, and gives LSu a chance to take their time finding a new coach, likely in a year with fewer jobs being open.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

hogcard1964

Quote from: hogsanity on November 23, 2015, 08:58:28 am
I think he could announce 2016 will be his last. I am not sure LSU wants to be hunting for a coach with so many other jobs open, and you know a few more are going to open up once the season ends.

Les is in a weird spot, 62 years old is a little late to go try to start at someplace new, and a bigger school may not want to take on a older guy who is not a flashy spread offense guy. So, to resign right now may be the end for Les as far as a major college coach. Staying through 2016 lets him have one more year, likely reduces the buyout LSu has to pay, and gives LSu a chance to take their time finding a new coach, likely in a year with fewer jobs being open.

Agree

Or his agent is bumping for another raise.

onebadrubi

Quote from: hogcard1964 on November 23, 2015, 09:01:42 am
Agree

Or his agent is bumping for another raise.

Don't all coaches meet with the media on Mondays?

jkstock04

It'll be interesting to see how he addresses the rumors.
Thanks for the F Shack. 

Love,

Dirty Mike and the Boys

a0ashle

Is it really possible they drop  17 million in Les' lap to NOT coach LSU?

BPsTheMan

I think he could announce 2016 will be his last. .

I don't think the LSU brass are keen on that - they want him out now

jkstock04

Quote from: a0ashle on November 23, 2015, 09:08:16 am
According to bleacher report...yes. Buyout will have zero bearing in decision...and they said it was 15 million.
Thanks for the F Shack. 

Love,

Dirty Mike and the Boys

The real Hogules

Quote from: jkstock04 on November 23, 2015, 09:12:09 am
According to bleacher report...yes. Buyout will have zero bearing in decision...and they said it was 15 million.

15, or 17 million does not matter. LSU will not pay that kind of money just to be rid of Lester at the end of this season.
I know what some of the boosters are saying, but talk is cheap and I just cannot fathom LSU paying Les Miles umpteen MILLIONS not to coach in Baton Rouge!

That's insane!!!
Bobby's back and he ain't here to paint!

a0ashle

Quote from: jkstock04 on November 23, 2015, 09:12:09 am

I doubt it has zero bearing, but it may not be much of a hurdle if they are motivated. I am not a coach, but if I were a potential candidate this would put up some red flags on working with these powers that be.

PonderinHog

Quote from: The real Hogules on November 23, 2015, 09:15:32 am
15, or 17 million does not matter. LSU will not pay that kind of money just to be rid of Lester at the end of this season.
I know what some of the boosters are saying, but talk is cheap and I just cannot fathom LSU paying Les Miles umpteen MILLIONS not to coach in Baton Rouge!

That's insane!!!
It's LSU.  Stay tuned.

hoglady

I know what you're saying but there's another way to look at that.
The pool of potential candidates will be much smaller next year because of all these openings.
A coach that takes an opening this year will most likely be off the market next year.
Inside every "older" person is a younger person wondering what the hell happened?

"Compassion for animals is intimately associated with goodness of character, and it may be confidently asserted that he who is cruel to animals cannot be a good man."
― Arthur Schopenhauer, The Basis of Morality

hoglady

Just reported on the Buzz he is having a team meeting prior to his press conference.
Inside every "older" person is a younger person wondering what the hell happened?

"Compassion for animals is intimately associated with goodness of character, and it may be confidently asserted that he who is cruel to animals cannot be a good man."

hogcard1964

Quote from: a0ashle on November 23, 2015, 09:08:16 am

As of this minute, they have the number one recruiting class in the nation.  I think he's going to announce next season with be his last.  He wins big and leaves on a high note.

BPsTheMan

Les is outta here yall

now that's a job Tom Herman will take - Herman was not going to jump at South Carolina, Maryland, etc.

Word is however that some circles of LSU seem confident they can lure Jimbo Fisher from FSU

UAfanatic

Quote from: The real Hogules on November 23, 2015, 09:15:32 am

That's insane!!!

Sounds like more than boosters:
http://www.nola.com/recruiting/index.ssf/2015/11/les_miles_tenure_at_lsu_may_be.html#incart_big-photo

Of course the wish list of coaches is insane.. same old list that gets put up with every job,
And why would you go to LSU, if they just fire one of their mos successful coaches..
what's the draw to that, when all of the list have a comfortable place where they are.

SemperHawg

Dude he could walk right now and be a shoe in on any ESPN CFB show he wanted.  Make good money and take it easy for a while.  Hell can you imagine a College Gameday Segment with Miles and Spurrier?

Kevin

Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you.<br />James 4:7
Reject Every Kind Of Evil 1 Thessalonians 5:22

Tim Harris

Quote from: onebadrubi on November 23, 2015, 09:03:09 am
Don't all coaches meet with the media on Mondays?

That was my first thought as well.  Is this a normal time he would be meeting with the media or a one off press conference?

hogsanity

Quote from: hogcard1964 on November 23, 2015, 09:27:19 am
As of this minute, they have the number one recruiting class in the nation.  I think he's going to announce next season with be his last.  He wins big and leaves on a high note.

They always have upper echelon classes, but if they do not have a very different Qb ready to play, and smarter defenders ( their defense just makes 5-7 rock stupid plays every game ), he can have all the recruits he wants. 2016 may be a good year in red stick, but it won't be due to the incoming FR class.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

BPsTheMan

Tejano Jawg

Quote from: Kevin on November 23, 2015, 09:30:43 am
i don't want him to leave

Neither do I.

On another note...we sure could use a Special Teams coach.
Between McAfee being obnoxious and Corso decomposing before our eyes I can't even watch GameDay anymore. —Torqued Pork

hoglady

Quote from: Harry Rex Vonner on November 23, 2015, 09:28:34 am
Les is outta here yall

now that's a job Tom Herman will take - Herman was not going to jump at South Carolina, Maryland, etc.

Word is however that some circles of LSU seem confident they can lure Jimbo Fisher from FSU

I would take a chance on Herman.
Jimbo Fisher won big with Winston but what has he done that's so great in the ACC when he didn't have him.
I can't stand Fisher so I'm sure I'm bias.

BPsTheMan

Quote from: hoglady on November 23, 2015, 09:34:54 am
Jimbo Fisher won big with Winston but what has he done that's so great in the ACC when he didn't have him.

I agree, I've never been impressed with Fisher - that head coach in waiting thing for him at FSU was weird

HiggiePiggy

Neither do I. He is the biggest reason I feel good about our chances of beating LSU every year no matter how bad our teams are. 
If a man speaks and no woman is around to hear him, is he still wrong?

longpig

You and me both, the guy is good entertainment and Bert apparently has his game dialed in.  He's one of my favorite CFB personalities and it would be especially disheartening to see him replaced with my least favorite, Jimbo.
:'(
Don't be scared, be smart.

Tim Harris

I know most here think Les is one of the worst coaches in the SEC but in 11 seasons there he has had double digit wins 7 times.  His worst season is this one and has won 7 games and that could reach 9 if he beats A&M and wins his bowl game.  I don't know about you guys but I would kill to have that type of success here.  With as tough as the SEC is I doubt they hire anyone who will do better than that.

jkstock04

Quote from: Tim Harris on November 23, 2015, 09:39:30 am
I know most here think Les is one of the worst coaches in the SEC but in 11 seasons there he has had double digit wins 7 times.  His worst season is this one and has won 7 games and that could reach 9 if he beats A&M and wins his bowl game.  I don't know about you guys but I would kill to have that type of success here.  With as tough as the SEC is I doubt they hire anyone who will do better than that.
Apples and oranges. Look at how they recruit vs how we recruit. Of course they should have higher expectations than us. Same thing with Mark Richt...they underachieve.
Thanks for the F Shack. 

Love,

Dirty Mike and the Boys

hoglady

Quote from: Tim Harris on November 23, 2015, 09:39:30 am

I think LSU is tired of not having a functional offense and they are really sick of the team quitting on the season after a Bama loss.

Aporkalypse Now

Quote from: jkstock04 on November 23, 2015, 09:41:43 am
Apples and oranges. Look at how they recruit vs how we recruit. Of course they should have higher expectations than us. Same thing with Mark Richt...they underachieve.

That's just ridiculous to say that Miles didn't have anything to do with his own record? The guy is a gambler of a coach for sure, but he can afford to do so. He's a very good coach. Silly to say otherwise.

I bet he could get a top 15 class to Arkansas in 3 out of 5 seasons and get a few 10 win seasons .

longpig

Quote from: hoglady on November 23, 2015, 09:34:54 am

Herman makes sense for LSU in a lot of ways. 

hogsanity

Quote from: hoglady on November 23, 2015, 09:43:35 am
I think LSU is tired of not having a functional offense and they are really sick of the team quitting on the season after a Bama loss.

Well, the fans quit after that too. When your goal or expectations are playoff or bust, that happens. Not saying you should not aspire to that, but you have to have some realistic goals too. If LSu, or any other school  sees the season as a failure if they do not make playoff, they are setting up for repeated failure.

longtimeHogfan

I like Les.  I don't like his team but he's a fun guy.  I could see spending a day fishing or hunting with Les and having a good time.  Someone pointed out he'd fit right in with a pre-game sports show somewhere.  He could have his pick IMO. 
I don't like to plan my day because then the word premeditated comes into the conversation.

HOGINTENNESSEE

bob slydell

Kinda makes you wonder just how smart the money men at LSU really are. All they had to do was call his bluff 3 years ago and they wouldn't have this mess on their hands.
*this is not a criticism of moderatin.

Aporkalypse Now

Quote from: hogsanity on November 23, 2015, 09:48:13 am
Well, the fans quit after that too. When your goal or expectations are playoff or bust, that happens. Not saying you should not aspire to that, but you have to have some realistic goals too. If LSu, or any other school  sees the season as a failure if they do not make playoff, they are setting up for repeated failure.

Very true. That's one thing I was proud of our team about. Obviously expectations were high and the Toledo loss ended a lot of hopes, and the team could have given up, but they didn't. They fought through and became better for it.

hoglady

Quote from: hogsanity on November 23, 2015, 09:48:13 am

The reason the fans quit is because they see that quit in the team.
Bama didn't quit after that Ole Miss loss / and Ole Miss didn't quit after the loss to us.
I mean if by some act of God Bama loses to Auburn and Ole Miss beats Ms. St. - Ole Miss wins the West.
Crazy things can happen when you aren't a bunch of quitters.

Tim Harris

Quote from: jkstock04 on November 23, 2015, 09:41:43 am

Saban only had 2 10+ win seasons out of the 5 he was there.  I would say Miles has done pretty good for himself

HOGINTENNESSEE

Quote from: Tim Harris on November 23, 2015, 09:58:34 am
Saban only had 2 10+ win seasons out of the 5 he was there.  I would say Miles has done pretty good for himself

Prior to those 2 HC LSU was just a decent program. Not the power house they have become

Aporkalypse Now

Quote from: hoglady on November 23, 2015, 09:57:14 am
The reason the fans quit is because they see that quit in the team.
Bama didn't quit after that Ole Miss loss / and Ole Miss didn't quit after the loss to us.
I mean if by some act of God Bama losses to Auburn and Ole Miss beats Ms. St. - Ole Miss wins the West.
Crazy things can happen when you aren't a bunch of quitters.

That is just silly. LSU hasn't quit anything. They are 7-3 with those 3 losses being to three very tough in conference opponents.

I mean seriously, that is just silly.

S.A.D.C

Quote from: Harry Rex Vonner on November 23, 2015, 09:28:34 am
Les is outta here yall

My sources in the bayou say Gruden.  Book it!

LSU and GA are in a tough spot.  The line of college coaches that can win 10 games a year in the SEC, (and for LSU the WEST) is very very short. 

Tim Harris

Quote from: HOGINTENNESSEE on November 23, 2015, 10:00:58 am
Prior to those 2 HC LSU was just a decent program. Not the power house they have become

So people honestly think Saban built them in to a powerhouse in 5 seasons and then Miles has just been riding his coat tail for the last 11 years?  The dude is a strange cat but he also can recruit and win football games.

I get why people don't like him and to a certain degree even get why LSU fans would like to get rid of him.  I just don't think you are going to find anyone who wins more games.

BPsTheMan

the expectations are historically high in the SEC West - maybe the highest in college football history for a conference 

take "world class" Dabo Swinney and Jimbo Fisher out of the pansy ACC and put them in the SEC West - they would not come close to dominating - same with TCU's coach, Bob Stoops, even Captain Comeback at Michigan

Aporkalypse Now

Quote from: Tim Harris on November 23, 2015, 10:05:07 am
So people honestly think Saban built them in to a powerhouse in 5 seasons and then Miles has just been riding his coat tail for the last 11 years?  The dude is a strange cat but he also can recruit and win football games.

I get why people don't like him and to a certain degree even get why LSU fans would like to get rid of him.  I just don't think you are going to find anyone who wins more games.

Bottom line is LSU would be stupid to fire him.

longpig

Quote from: Aporkalypse Now on November 23, 2015, 09:46:05 am
That's just ridiculous to say that Miles didn't have anything to do with his own record? The guy is a gambler of a coach for sure, but he can afford to do so. He's a very good coach. Silly to say otherwise.

I bet he could get a top 15 class to Arkansas in 3 out of 5 seasons and get a few 10 win seasons .

How do you figure that?  Miles does very little recruiting outside Louisiana state lines.   Arkansas gets more than half its players outside the state.

jkstock04

And I would wager a lot that he couldn't. Guess we will never know for sure thank God.
Thanks for the F Shack. 

Love,

Dirty Mike and the Boys

ricepig

The $15m for Les is paid out over 8 years, so, Les than $2m/yr, haha.

Inhogswetrust

Remodeling coaches offices................His is being temporarily moved into their mascot Mike the Tigers cage........................
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

longpig

Quote from: Tim Harris on November 23, 2015, 10:05:07 am

I agree. LSU isn't your typical program either, it requires a unique HC.  Les may simply be tired and going the way of Head Ball Coach Spurrier.

PonderinHog

At Arkansas, I'm sure that he could convince all those Louisiana recruits to stay home.   ;D