Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Cold, Hard Facts About Our Defense

Started by bigdaddyhawg, November 22, 2015, 04:41:15 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

code red

How bout tackling?  The entire defense can't.  That's on lack of talent?  Give me a break.
"If what you did yesterday seems big, you haven't done anything today."  Dr. Lou

Hogs-n-Roses

The Miss.state offensive line is the difference between last weeks results and this weeks. There's is a very good experienced line which starts 3 seniors n 3 juniors I believe. those guys this week gave their QB(which is no slouch) another 3 count for decisions. With time he did miracles. Now the argument still stands, should we have changed our approach drastically in order to achieve some more pressure. With that kind of time last weeks QB would have done better and is the route of LSU's evils this year. Our secondary is not as talented as some in college ball and definitely took a hit last nite. Ole Miss game also.

Really the difference last nite was their offensive gameplan. Ours was great, theirs was spectacular. Their coaches watched the Toledo,Tech ,A$M, Miss. games and saw glaring issues to exploit.

bigdaddyhawg

Quote from: code red on November 22, 2015, 07:36:54 pm
In my opinion... The defense is unacceptable.  I am not sure its youth.  I do understand we lost 3 fine players to the league.  But.  This Arkansas defense fails to even slow servicable offenses.  Let's discuss.

I don't know who could disagree with you on this ... including CBB and CRS.
Let us then turn this government back into the channel in which the framers of the Constitution originally placed it.  Abraham Lincoln, 1858

moses_007

The truth is, our defense sucks.  This is why we lost to TT, A&M and Mississippi State.

bigdaddyhawg

Quote from: code red on November 22, 2015, 08:47:48 pm
How bout tackling?  The entire defense can't.  That's on lack of talent?  Give me a break.

How can you not see it IS about talent to a great extent??
Let us then turn this government back into the channel in which the framers of the Constitution originally placed it.  Abraham Lincoln, 1858

bigdaddyhawg

Quote from: hawg IQ on November 22, 2015, 08:27:41 pm
Having a receiver run free in secondary without seeing a safety on the screen until about 5 yard line has nothing to do with a lacking in talent. Not playing man on man at the 5 yard line and allowing a receiver to just lope into the endzone un touched has nothing to do with talent. If its not scheme , we have the dumbest secondary on the planet.

Honestly, I think you've hit on part of the problem we have at safety.

That and inexperience.

Football smarts plays a role in the equation, and it's a part of "talent".

ChitownHawg

Quote from: bigdaddyhawg on November 22, 2015, 04:41:15 pm
Coach Robb Smith is NOT the problem.  Deal with it.  The guy is a great DC.  He proved that last year.

The problem is he has some serious athletic deficiencies he is trying his best to work around. 
Let's hope this staff's recruiting can find us the men we need to fill those holes, and quickly.

Questions - we had 8 returning starters on offense and 7 on defense. So why is the offense doing well and the defense isn't?

Why has the offense improved even with big time injuries and the defense has not?
PonderinHog: "My mother gave me a framed cross-stitch picture that reads, "You can tell a Hog fan, but you can't tell him much.  Go Hogs!" It's a blessing and a curse."  :razorback:

Klamath River Hog: " Is your spell check made in India?"

jjdlc

Quote from: bigdaddyhawg on November 22, 2015, 04:41:15 pm
5.  The bad news is all of these deficiencies add into one another in a very bad way right now in our pass defense.  Our weak pass rush allows QB's to have all the time their receivers need to find the gaps that will definitely be coming opening due to our limitations in LB speed and poor safety coverages/fits in coverages.

This is the biggest problem.  We have glaring deficiencies in all areas, and that ends up making every area look even worse.  If you have a strong pass rush, it takes some pressure off your secondary,  if you have shutdown corners, your pass rush doesn't have to be as strong, if your LBs are good in pass coverage, you can force longer throws, etc.  Sadly, the only area our D excels in is stopping the run.  The good news is, If you look at the difference between last year and this year, you can see it only takes a few good players to make a vast difference.

bigdaddyhawg

Quote from: ChitownHawg on November 22, 2015, 09:07:24 pm
Questions - we had 8 returning starters on offense and 7 on defense. So why is the offense doing well and the defense isn't?

Why has the offense improved even with big time injuries and the defense has not?

IMO we simply didn't have players good enough to fill those defensive losses.

I also think we had better talent coming in to play on offense: Morgan, JC, Sprinkle, Ragnow, RW3, Reed are all really talented players.

Plus BA's improvement at such a key position has been off the charts -- similar to what Spaight's play did for our D last year.

ChitownHawg

Quote from: Cinco de Hogo on November 22, 2015, 05:53:10 pm
Tackling is taught, that is what you really need to know.

Agreed and CBB said they go through tackling drills everyday, so something isnt adding up.
PonderinHog: "My mother gave me a framed cross-stitch picture that reads, "You can tell a Hog fan, but you can't tell him much.  Go Hogs!" It's a blessing and a curse."  :razorback:

Dominicanhog

Quote from: Lake City Hog on November 22, 2015, 05:11:15 pm

36 QB hurries                                      22 QB hurries                         

24 Sacks                                             15 Sacks

That is our problem in a nut shell... we put alot of pressure on QB's last year... and spaight was good in underneath coverage...

ChitownHawg

Quote from: bigdaddyhawg on November 22, 2015, 09:12:03 pm
IMO we simply didn't have players good enough to fill those defensive losses.

I also think we had better talent coming in to play on offense: Morgan, JC, Sprinkle, Ragnow, RW3, Reed are all really talented players.

Plus BA's improvement at such a key position has been off the charts -- similar to what Spaight's play did for our D last year.

But the players whiffing on tackles this year were making those tackles last year. There is something strange with this defense.

bigdaddyhawg

Quote from: jjdlc on November 22, 2015, 09:10:51 pm
This is the biggest problem.  We have glaring deficiencies in all areas, and that ends up making every area look even worse.  If you have a strong pass rush, it takes some pressure off your secondary,  if you have shutdown corners, your pass rush doesn't have to be as strong, if your LBs are good in pass coverage, you can force longer throws, etc.  Sadly, the only area our D excels in is stopping the run.  The good news is, If you look at the difference between last year and this year, you can see it only takes a few good players to make a vast difference.

I agree completely.

My question: where are those difference makers gonna come from?

We redshirted some talent I believe, and we may get some help in this next class, so I hope they show up next fall!!

Plus, you can never tell when a player like Liddell or Ramirez might have things start clicking and their play becomes elevated.

God, I hope so!!

bigdaddyhawg

Quote from: ChitownHawg on November 22, 2015, 09:15:06 pm
But the players whiffing on tackles this year were making those tackles last year. There is something strange with this defense.

I do agree with that, too.

I remember being stunned how poorly we tackled at the start of the year, after how good our tackling was last fall to end the year.

I honestly think we REALLY miss Martrell Spaight's play and his leadership.

jjdlc

Yes, the tackling thing is very troubling.

Hog Pharm

Quote from: Sed76 on November 22, 2015, 06:25:39 pm
Granted I'm not a recruiting guy but I haven't heard of any defensive studs we have coming in. All I'm hearing is we have young guys who apparently have no idea how to tackle properly.

Just because we haven't signed a bunch of highly rated defensive recruits doesn't mean we're not prioitizing it. I might prioritize dating a supermodel but it doesn't mean it's going to happen. Plus I do think we're doing a pretty good job increasing our defensive talent. We've got Agim, Guidry, and Carmouche committed plus it seems we're making some progress with Fulton. CBB inherited no depth at all on the defensive side when he came especially at LB. Can you name any LB that has contributed any significant minutes that was left over from the previous regime?

Aporkalypse Now

Speaking as a former college safety, I can tell you that IMO it isn't that our guys aren't fast enough or strong enough, or talented enough. It's that we don't have that MLB or S out there calling the defense based on what he sees the offense doing on a play by play basis. Instead we are trying to react after the fact and son you aint stopping anyone in the SEC doing that, Obviously that weakness is magnified when you face a spread offense because there are so many other variables to read .

The question is "is this by design?" or is it simply b/c at this point we don't have a player who the coaches feel comfortable putting in that situation, because if you have a guy reading offenses on the field and he calls the wrong defensive audible, you sure can get your ass burned big, so that is a risk.

blu

Quote from: radioheadhog on November 22, 2015, 06:20:43 pm
Mississippi St. gained more yards BY FAR against us than against anyone else they have played this year, including the cupcakes. Some of you guys saying it's all about our talent deficiency are not correct here. We have less talent on defense than anyone they've played this entire season? No way. It was the scheme and the cushion we gave their receivers. All game.

This. And just watch this coming Friday, Drew Lock will have his best game of the year against our D. Once again we are making our opposing QBs look like All Americans.
"But it is no shame to suffer for being a Christian. Praise God for the privilege of being called by His name!"  I Peter 4:16

lamont7906

I'm becoming to believe Robb is a one trick pony, meaning he is good along as he have talent instead of a DC that is smart enough to scheme to make light of his weaknesses. I'm not saying we should have world beaters but I look at Missouri and Vanderbilt and they have a solid defense. As a DC you have to be willing to gamble he is not willing to do that we you have a offense that giving 35 points a game it gives you luxury to gamble time and time to get off the feild. Robb don't take any chances bend but don't break don't cut it when the constant bending causes fractures. That why we get exploited our DB'S are getting murdered, atleast well disguised blitzes gives you a chance for a sack, rushed throw, we might get beat but we getting beat any way.

Aporkalypse Now

Quote from: lamont7906 on November 22, 2015, 10:31:08 pm
I'm becoming to believe Robb is a one trick pony, meaning he is good along as he have talent instead of a DC that is smart enough to scheme to make light of his weaknesses. I'm not saying we should have world beaters but I look at Missouri and Vanderbilt and they have a solid defense. As a DC you have to be willing to gamble he is not willing to do that we you have a offense that giving 35 points a game it gives you luxury to gamble time and time to get off the feild. Robb don't take any chances bend but don't break don't cut it when the constant bending causes fractures. That why we get exploited our DB'S are getting murdered, atleast well disguised blitzes gives you a chance for a sack, rushed throw, we might get beat but we getting beat any way.

Is that English you just wrote in?

And woah, are you telling me that superior talent makes a coach look better than he looks with lesser talent? Beautiful insight.

Hog Pharm

Quote from: Aporkalypse Now on November 22, 2015, 10:24:29 pm
Speaking as a former college safety, I can tell you that IMO it isn't that our guys aren't fast enough or strong enough, or talented enough. It's that we don't have that MLB or S out there calling the defense based on what he sees the offense doing on a play by play basis. Instead we are trying to react after the fact and son you aint stopping anyone in the SEC doing that, Obviously that weakness is magnified when you face a spread offense because there are so many other variables to read .

The question is "is this by design?" or is it simply b/c at this point we don't have a player who the coaches feel comfortable putting in that situation, because if you have a guy reading offenses on the field and he calls the wrong defensive audible, you sure can get your ass burned big, so that is a risk.

This. It seemed that we were confused all night long. We would look to the sidelines for the call while they were about to snap the ball. We were always on our heels.

Nipsey Mussle

Really and truly I have no idea which side I'm on, but I just want to clarify:

Some seem to think a great D = Smith is a genius, while believing a pathetic D = lack of talent

While others feel a great D = great talent, and a terrible D = Robb Smith is a baboon.

Perhaps it's somewhere in the middle? I said it from day one last season, the most valuable player on our defense was Spaight. He had the speed to cover lots of ground and enough size to be a very good tackler. We definitely don't have that right now.

If I was guessing, I'd say we overrated Robb Smith last season. Doesn't mean he isn't worthy of being our DC, but it does mean he's not the mad scientist we thought he was last year.

redeye

Last year, Robb Smith fielded the best defense we've had at least since we've been in the SEC.  I'm a little uncertain on him after this year, but I don't think last year can completely be considered a coincidence.  And fielding a top-10 defense is huge (much better then a top-10 offense), so that's plenty of reason to give him a pass this year.

Also, Zak Prescott has an incredibly quick release, which makes him very difficult to sack.  I remember one play where I thought we had him and he ended up completing a pass that I never even see him throw.

Augustus

Even when Robb's scheme put our players in position to make a play... if they can't tackle effectively, then it doesn't matter.

IMO, tackling has been an issue all season.

presidenthog

Quote from: BBsTheMan on November 22, 2015, 11:06:43 pm
Really and truly I have no idea which side I'm on, but I just want to clarify:

Some seem to think a great D = Smith is a genius, while believing a pathetic D = lack of talent

While others feel a great D = great talent, and a terrible D = Robb Smith is a baboon.

Perhaps it's somewhere in the middle? I said it from day one last season, the most valuable player on our defense was Spaight. He had the speed to cover lots of ground and enough size to be a very good tackler. We definitely don't have that right now.

If I was guessing, I'd say we overrated Robb Smith last season. Doesn't mean he isn't worthy of being our DC, but it does mean he's not the mad scientist we thought he was last year.
also Spaight was an absolute filmoholic. go back and watch him and you will see him point out the gap in which run plays were going to go through and he would also be point out to other players thier assignments and he would come up to the D line and tell them what to do as well. I know that the mike usually is the QB of the defense but Spaight was the leader out there. this year our D line can't even line up correctly and flip flop thier positions 2 or 3 times before every snap and our secondary players are looking at the side line while the ball is being snapped. lots of inexperience and lack of leadership may be the real problem with this defense. no flowers and no spaight, thier on field talent, and thier on field leadership were the real MVP of that defense.

Pig In The City

You can't give 10-15 yard cushions and expect to win anything.

RedRock

Quote from: Pig In The City on November 23, 2015, 03:54:30 am
You can't give 10-15 yard cushions and expect to win anything.
Winner!  CRS is no doubt talented, but it appears he is enamored with the tampa 2 D.  It's the wrong D for the talent we have.

Razorfox

Quote from: radioheadhog on November 22, 2015, 06:20:43 pm
Mississippi St. gained more yards BY FAR against us than against anyone else they have played this year, including the cupcakes. Some of you guys saying it's all about our talent deficiency are not correct here. We have less talent on defense than anyone they've played this entire season? No way. It was the scheme and the cushion we gave their receivers. All game.

Here is my problem with the "it's all the scheme" mantra.  Is it more likely that:

1) We have some talent and depth deficiencies

or

2) Some armchair QBs that sit on their computer all day and at best played high school football know more about defensive schemes than a group of coaches who dedicate their whole lives to it and have had success on multiple teams and in multiple conferences.

I'm going with 1.  It's not like y'all are diagnosing some nuanced problem the coaches haven't thought of; it's such an obvious thing (blitzing and playing tighter coverage) that there is NO WAY they wouldn't think of it if it were the actual problem.

Pork Twain

Our guys play their hearts out but I think we are lagging behind some of our top competition when it comes to overall talent level and depth.  I believe that will start to change next year and going forwatd as our redshirt/walkon and development program kicks in.
"It is better to be an optimist and proven wrong, than a pessimist and proven right." ~Pork Twain

https://www.facebook.com/groups/sweetmemes/

Pork Twain

Quote from: Razorfox on November 23, 2015, 05:12:19 am
Here is my problem with the "it's all the scheme" mantra.  Is it more likely that:

1) We have some talent and depth deficiencies

or

2) Some armchair QBs that sit on their computer all day and at best played high school football know more about defensive schemes than a group of coaches who dedicate their whole lives to it and have had success on multiple teams and in multiple conferences.

I'm going with 1.  It's not like y'all are diagnosing some nuanced problem the coaches haven't thought of; it's such an obvious thing (blitzing and playing tighter coverage) that there is NO WAY they wouldn't think of it if it were the actual problem.

#1 all day, every day.  I LOVE it when posters second guess our coaches, AFTER the fact.
"It is better to be an optimist and proven wrong, than a pessimist and proven right." ~Pork Twain

https://www.facebook.com/groups/sweetmemes/

riccoar

The players needed will come.  He's still trying to assemble HIS players.  Only critique I have is that our team strength wise was great, but conditioning has to improve.

Rolltide4ever

Recruit , Recruit , Recruit.
When recruiting a DB , corner whatever you want to call them today. They must be able to cover the open grass quick. In todays spread game the secondary has become key in stopping the spread. Watch the Bama / LSU game Eddie Jackson ( a safety ) was within 3 yards of 4-Nette on most of his runs.  Same is true for todays LB's they to most be fast and react fast. I want go into great detail and give away to much on the defense , since we do play Arkansas every year. But the OP was dead on with his post on about 90% it.
One last point ya'll have a offensive lineman that gives away the play ( pass or run ) by the way he enters into in his stance. I'm sure others in the SEC have seen it.
Great wins against Ole Miss ( we lost 2 years in a row to , how embarrassing is that )
Then to go to Corn Dog country and beat the mighty 4-Nette 4-Heisman. We shut him down and ya'll shut him up and the fans. LSU got exposed bad. Sorry for the missed field goal in
Stark-Vegas. The key to beating Dak is to keep him on his back or at least rush his throws.
Arkansas looked great the past 5 games and BA is a great QB, he has good vision down field.
Plus he has had some good coaching you can tell, I wish he had another year with Arkansas.
WPS !!!!!!  Keep the faith it's coming soon. 

This is the beginning of a new day. God has given me this day to use as I will. I can waste it or use it for good. What I do today is very important because I am exchanging a day of my life for it.
When tomorrow comes,this day will be gone forever,leaving something in its place I have traded for it. I want it to be a gain,not loss-good, not evil. Success,not failure in order that I shall not forget the price I paid for it.
Kept in the wallet of Paul William Bryant.

FANONTHEHILL

This diagram sums it up pretty well.  There have been a few instances, the double move at Alabama for example,  where we've  been beaten deep, but most have been crossing routes hitting receivers where one LB passes the receiver off to the next leading to the edge where the  CBs have been run off deep and quick 10-15 yard throws over the middle behind the MLB before the safeties can get to the middle of the field.  We are always in Cover 2 with our safeties.  I haven't seen Cover 3 all year. A running quarterback draws the attention of the LBs and DBs and makes everyone a step slower. We scheme our defense with what we have and we are young.  These holes in the zone are easy to find if the quarterback has time.  He didn't have time at LSU, he did have time against MSU.  I think the biggest issue is we miss the two  NFL D-Lineman (Flowers and Philon) more than we could have ever imagined.
Favorite quote from practice.  Made to my son:<br /><br /><br />Technique is nice, but it comes down to this.  Block the F'er in front of you. - Sam Pittman 2015

Boss Hog in the Arkansas

I have questions about our defensive line depth chart. Specifically our noseguards. I understand that demarcus hodge is very strong, but he isn't that explosive and doesn't have the speed to make plays once he reaches the backfield (unless youre name is LSU). Bijhon Jackson is backing him up, but almost everytime the kid plays, he collapses the pocket of the opposing team and puts pressure on the QB. He does this 3 or 4 plays and they put him back on the sideline, usually for at least a couple series. He has far too much impact on the game to be on the sideline that long!
That's right, you don't want to be the man to replace the man.  You want to be the man to replace Rory Segrest.

Rolltide4ever

Quote from: FANONTHEHILL on November 23, 2015, 07:05:20 am
This diagram sums it up pretty well.  There have been a few instances, the double move at Alabama for example,  where we've  been beaten deep, but most have been crossing routes hitting receivers where one LB passes the receiver off to the next leading to the edge where the  CBs have been run off deep and quick 10-15 yard throws over the middle behind the MLB before the safeties can get to the middle of the field.  We are always in Cover 2 with our safeties.  I haven't seen Cover 3 all year. A running quarterback draws the attention of the LBs and DBs and makes everyone a step slower. We scheme our defense with what we have and we are young.  These holes in the zone are easy to find if the quarterback has time.  He didn't have time at LSU, he did have time against MSU.  I think the biggest issue is we miss the two  NFL D-Lineman (Flowers and Philon) more than we could have ever imagined.

You are 100% right. You have defensive training don't you. Cover 3 would help but watch  for the slot receiver to blow past with a head fake. Georgia tried this in the SEC Champion game and got burned 2 times. But I love your post and diagram. I could talk defense with you all day long.  WPS to you . Your a true game guy.
This is the beginning of a new day. God has given me this day to use as I will. I can waste it or use it for good. What I do today is very important because I am exchanging a day of my life for it.
When tomorrow comes,this day will be gone forever,leaving something in its place I have traded for it. I want it to be a gain,not loss-good, not evil. Success,not failure in order that I shall not forget the price I paid for it.

Oklahawg

Quote from: bigdaddyhawg on November 22, 2015, 09:03:15 pm
Honestly, I think you've hit on part of the problem we have at safety.

That and inexperience.

Football smarts plays a role in the equation, and it's a part of "talent".

Good posts in this thread, my friend.

Talent is not just physical. It is mental (Football IQ, as you say) and emotional.

A&M. Ole Miss. Now MS State. We tackle better in the 1st half than in the 2nd half. The DBs wear out. They need a break and there is no worthy substitute behind them. They are taxed physically to keep up (gets better with recruiting and experience for those already here), and they are taxed emotionally (I can't take a breather as I am "it"). The football IQ is also being told something like, "you do not want to be chasing these guys from behind."

Dak was getting rid of the ball before our rush was barely out of their stance. When we'd blitz (a nice attempt at adjustment for the bleating sheep class on HV) the ball was gone before the extra man could get through or push the pocket.

A very good OL and a QB with all the poise and talent you need to win on the road in the SEC. Sounds like another team I know - sadly, we don't get to mention that enough.
I am a Hog fan. I was long before my name was etched, twice, on the sidewalks on the Hill. I will be long after Sam Pittman and Eric Mussleman are coaches, and Hunter Yuracheck is AD. I am a Hog fan when we win, when we lose and when we don't play. I love hearing the UA band play the National Anthem on game day, but I sing along to the Alma Mater. I am a Hog fan.<br /><br />A liberal education is at the heart of a civil society, and at the heart of a liberal education is the act of teaching. - Bart Giamatti <br /><br />"It is a puzzling thing. The truth knocks on the door and you say, 'Go away, I'm looking for the truth,' and so it goes away. Puzzling." ― Robert M. Pirsig<br /><br />Love is the most important thing in the world, but baseball is pretty good, too.  – Yogi Berra

Steef

I think maybe we wasted too much time on Randy Shannon and now we have to play catch up.

What a team is TODAY, is a reflection of what you did to prepare, two years-three years ago.

We rolled the dice on Shannon and he disappointed.

It's no accident that we currently have three linebackers lined up for the 2016 class and are still looking for at least one more.

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: Oklahawg on November 23, 2015, 07:23:52 am
Good posts in this thread, my friend.

Talent is not just physical. It is mental (Football IQ, as you say) and emotional.

A&M. Ole Miss. Now MS State. We tackle better in the 1st half than in the 2nd half. The DBs wear out. They need a break and there is no worthy substitute behind them. They are taxed physically to keep up (gets better with recruiting and experience for those already here), and they are taxed emotionally (I can't take a breather as I am "it"). The football IQ is also being told something like, "you do not want to be chasing these guys from behind."

Dak was getting rid of the ball before our rush was barely out of their stance. When we'd blitz (a nice attempt at adjustment for the bleating sheep class on HV) the ball was gone before the extra man could get through or push the pocket.

A very good OL and a QB with all the poise and talent you need to win on the road in the SEC. Sounds like another team I know - sadly, we don't get to mention that enough.

Refer back to the game stats spreadsheet that I sent you. As hard as it is to believe, the defense played better in the 2nd half than they did in the first half. Still not great, but better than the first half.
Go Hogs Go!

Deep Shoat

Quote from: IronHog on November 22, 2015, 07:20:07 pm
Cold hard facts

One again it was the offense not the defense that failed on 4th and 1 and at the end of regulation.
Absolutely the most idiotic post in this thread.  Congrats!  That's saying something!
All Gas, No Brakes!

Rolltide4ever

Quote from: bigpigpimpin on November 23, 2015, 07:41:17 am
The biggest problem to me is that they have not improved as the season has progressed.

Your kidding right ?

jkstock04

Quote from: Rolltide4ever on November 23, 2015, 07:42:56 am
Your kidding right ?
Against a spread/passing attack? I don't think they have either. Stats could possibly show that they have gotten worse.
Thanks for the F Shack. 

Love,

Dirty Mike and the Boys

IronHog

Quote from: Deep Shoat on November 23, 2015, 07:38:02 am
Absolutely the most idiotic post in this thread.  Congrats!  That's saying something!

Defense changed momentum of the game with turnovers.  Offense gave it back with conservative play.

In the spread era TURNOVERS are far more important than stats.

Hog D won turnover battle and offense lost the game.  It's that simple.
Iron sharpens iron, So one man sharpens another.

Horthawg

This is reminiscent of similar arguments/defenses of Chaney last year. Right up to the day he was fired.
Once a Hog-ALWAYS A HOG!

Steef

Quote from: Horthawg on November 23, 2015, 07:58:16 am
This is reminiscent of similar arguments/defenses of Chaney last year. Right up to the day he was fired.

Chaney was OC.

You're thinking of Ash.

Cinco de Hogo

Quote from: Rolltide4ever on November 23, 2015, 07:04:20 am
Recruit , Recruit , Recruit.
When recruiting a DB , corner whatever you want to call them today. They must be able to cover the open grass quick. In todays spread game the secondary has become key in stopping the spread. Watch the Bama / LSU game Eddie Jackson ( a safety ) was within 3 yards of 4-Nette on most of his runs.  Same is true for todays LB's they to most be fast and react fast. I want go into great detail and give away to much on the defense , since we do play Arkansas every year. But the OP was dead on with his post on about 90% it.
One last point ya'll have a offensive lineman that gives away the play ( pass or run ) by the way he enters into in his stance. I'm sure others in the SEC have seen it.
Great wins against Ole Miss ( we lost 2 years in a row to , how embarrassing is that )
Then to go to Corn Dog country and beat the mighty 4-Nette 4-Heisman. We shut him down and ya'll shut him up and the fans. LSU got exposed bad. Sorry for the missed field goal in
Stark-Vegas. The key to beating Dak is to keep him on his back or at least rush his throws.
Arkansas looked great the past 5 games and BA is a great QB, he has good vision down field.
Plus he has had some good coaching you can tell, I wish he had another year with Arkansas.
WPS !!!!!!  Keep the faith it's coming soon.

You can't change a team in the middle of a season, therefore you coach, coach, coach!

Biggus Piggus

Mississippi State possessions (excluding the last one)

77 available yards - gained 77
65 available yards - gained 65
75 available yards - gained 72
78 available yards - gained 78
74 available yards - gained 74
65 available yards - gained 16
69 available yards - gained 0
80 available yards - gained 35
71 available yards - gained 7
74 available yards - gained 74
68 available yards - gained 68
82 available yards - gained 82

878 available yards - gained 648, 74%.

Arkansas possessions

75 available yards - gained 75
75 available yards - lost 2
59 available yards - gained 59
69 available yards - gained 3
80 available yards - gained 5
78 available yards - gained 78
23 available yards - gained 23
39 available yards - gained 39
40 available yards - gained 40
56 available yards - gained 30
75 available yards - gained 2
65 available yards - gained 65
89 available yards - gained 77

823 available yards - gained 494, 60%.

Mississippi State's defense was far better than Arkansas's. They held the Razorbacks to three and out four times and got another important stop on downs. The most important stop they got might have been the three-and-out that began with less than 13 minutes left in the fourth quarter.

That was after the Bulldogs had scored to narrow Arkansas's lead to 42-38. The offense needed to control the football, but they ran that stupid delay against a nine-man front, and Alex Collins lost 2 yards on first down. A short pass set up third and long, and it was incomplete with BA under heavy pressure.

Arkansas ran the football 21 times on first downs and gained a total of 51 yards (2.4 ypc), with a long gain of 9 (by Cornelius). The Hogs had at least 5 yards to gain on second down 17 times. Only eight chances at second and 4 or less.

Obviously, MSU was taking advantage of Arkansas's tendency to run on first downs. They were begging the Hogs to throw. When he did, Brandon Allen completed 10-11 for 171 yards.

Yup. Gained at least 3 yards on first down runs 11 times in 21 chances. Gained at least 5 yards on first down passes nine times in 11 chances. Hmm. What. To. Do.

With these tendencies firmly established -- in the fourth quarter, Arkansas lost 2 yards on a first down run and punted. With first down at the MSU 19, ran Kody Walker for 3 yards and settled for a not-a-prayer-in-the-world field goal attempt.

Arkansas had a minute left in the game on first down at the 19. Had to be concerned about MSU getting the football back, but not without scoring first.
[CENSORED]!

hogsanity

The cold hard facts about the defense is that fixing it is going to be troublesome due to the lack of good defensive recruits in state at Lb and DB.  Spread teams negate a good pass rush ( not saying the Hogs have one of those, but it would not matter if they did ) because they get the ball out on those wr screen plays and slants so fast. You same the other night, on the few plays where MSu tried to go deeper or the Hogs jumped the short stuff, they got to Dak got a couple hurries ad forced a fumble. Otherwise it was catch snap and throw quick and they ate up our defense., just like TT did.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

Aporkalypse Now

Quote from: hogsanity on November 23, 2015, 09:02:59 am
The cold hard facts about the defense is that fixing it is going to be troublesome due to the lack of good defensive recruits in state at Lb and DB.  Spread teams negate a good pass rush ( not saying the Hogs have one of those, but it would not matter if they did ) because they get the ball out on those wr screen plays and slants so fast. You same the other night, on the few plays where MSu tried to go deeper or the Hogs jumped the short stuff, they got to Dak got a couple hurries ad forced a fumble. Otherwise it was catch snap and throw quick and they ate up our defense., just like TT did.

There are three kids in the 2016 recruiting class who I believe could be solid linebackers for the Hogs.Especially D Hardwick from Fort Smith Northside, we haven't offered him yet, but I have little doubt that we will. He's a solid player.

hogsanity

Quote from: Aporkalypse Now on November 23, 2015, 09:18:18 am
There are three kids in the 2016 recruiting class who I believe could be solid linebackers for the Hogs.Especially D Hardwick from Fort Smith Northside, we haven't offered him yet, but I have little doubt that we will. He's a solid player.

The key with lb's anymore is how they do in pass coverage. The hog lb's are pretty good against the run, but for whatever reason they can not pass cover in the middle of the field. That is not something unique to the Hogs either.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

Youngsta71701

To me the problem is all scheme. He should have realized after the Texas Tech game that you can't just let the receivers run around wherever they want to with no resistance. I'm not saying bump and run all game. But the defenders have to at least be in the same area code at the snap. At least no more than a 5 yard cushion. Especially with an accurate QB.
"The more things change the more they stay the same"