Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Are you guys crazy? In defense of MA

Started by Fan701, March 17, 2018, 12:52:51 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Fan701

The mob with its pitchforks is out again.  Anderson is a very good coach.  Even though he doesn't cheat, he still wins most of the time.  He is the best Arkansas is likely to get.  Fire him and the most likely result is that we get worse.  I'd say we'd have about an 80% chance of getting worse and a 20% chance of getting better, were we to fire him.  It's a dumb bet to make.  In addition, Anderson is a clean coach.  He hasn't found round-about ways of paying players like many of his adversaries.  You are foolish not to factor that in.  If the FBI investigation results in a more level playing field for clean coaches like Anderson, then the handicaps he faces in getting five star talent will be gone. Let's see how that works out. 

bkjbearcat

Quote from: Fan701 on March 17, 2018, 12:52:51 pm
The mob with its pitchforks is out again.  Anderson is a very good coach.  Even though he doesn't cheat, he still wins most of the time.  He is the best Arkansas is likely to get.  Fire him and the most likely result is that we get worse.  I'd say we'd have about an 80% chance of getting worse and a 20% chance of getting better, were we to fire him.  It's a dumb bet to make.  In addition, Anderson is a clean coach.  He hasn't found round-about ways of paying players like many of his adversaries.  You are foolish not to factor that in.  If the FBI investigation results in a more level playing field for clean coaches like Anderson, then the handicaps he faces in getting five star talent will be gone. Let's see how that works out.

AMEN, AMEN, AMEN, AMEN. because what i just read isn't optimism based of facts or reality. I just saw a prayer. The FBI investigation isn't going to make MA a better recruiter. And in 2018 if your not willing to get a little dirty to get top players your doing the bare minimum in recruiting.
B-E-A-R-C-A-T-S BEARCATS, BEARCATS GOOOOOOO BEARCATS!!!!!!!<br /><br />D2 National Champs in Football: 1998, 1999, 2009, 2013, 2015, 2016<br /><br />D2 National Champs in Mens Basketball: 2017, 2019, No.1 team in 2020,2021, 2022

Fan701

Quote from: bkjbearcat on March 17, 2018, 12:59:10 pm
AMEN, AMEN, AMEN, AMEN. because what i just read isn't optimism based of facts or reality. I just saw a prayer. The FBI investigation isn't going to make MA a better recruiter. And in 2018 if your not willing to get a little dirty to get top players your doing the bare minimum in recruiting.
Well, if you're advocating that we hire a cheater, I'm not with you and never will be.  I think there is little doubt that five star talent like Monk or Perry would have been Razorbacks had the recruiting game been clean, so, yes, absolutely the FBI investigation will likely help coaches like MA if the cheating is thereby eliminated.  So this isn't a prayer at all.  It's 100% realism based on what we've seen happen over the years.

TNhawgfan

If cheating is eliminated...you guys are hysterical. This investigation isn't going to change a thing except a few coaches are going to lose a job
I'd rather be dead than be a Vol

rude1

Quote from: Fan701 on March 17, 2018, 01:04:14 pm
Well, if you're advocating that we hire a cheater, I'm not with you and never will be.  I think there is little doubt that five star talent like Monk or Perry would have been Razorbacks had the recruiting game been clean, so, yes, absolutely the FBI investigation will likely help coaches like MA if the cheating is thereby eliminated.  So this isn't a prayer at all.  It's 100% realism based on what we've seen happen over the years.
And just how many programs or head coaches have this great investigation touched so far? ONE!!!!!

bkjbearcat

But it's wasn't clean and it will never be 100 percent clean. So spare me with your gum drops and lollipops pipe dreams. Since Mike refuses to do more then the bare minimum to get talent and play the game he puts himself as a disadvantage.
B-E-A-R-C-A-T-S BEARCATS, BEARCATS GOOOOOOO BEARCATS!!!!!!!<br /><br />D2 National Champs in Football: 1998, 1999, 2009, 2013, 2015, 2016<br /><br />D2 National Champs in Mens Basketball: 2017, 2019, No.1 team in 2020,2021, 2022

bkjbearcat

Quote from: rude1 on March 17, 2018, 01:09:07 pm
And just how many programs or head coaches have this great investigation touched so far? ONE!!!!!

And the coach it touched will get a job somewhere in the next season or two.

hawgball40

I see a different problem:

- Lack of recruiting ability
- Lack of teaching/development
- Lack of set plays on offense
- Lack of fundamental defense
- Lack of fundamental rebounding positioning technique
- Lack of preperation

You fix the last 5 items and we are in yesterdays game, and maybe win. You can win without talent, but with Mikes style and the number of stoppages of play in modern bball, you are unlikely to win by wearing out your opponent. just the way i see it. Situational pressing is still acceptable, but that shouldn't be your only tool.

bkjbearcat

Quote from: hawgball40 on March 17, 2018, 01:18:54 pm

- Lack of preperation

You fix the last 5 items and we are in yesterdays game, and maybe win. You can win without talent, but with Mikes style and the number of stoppages of play in modern bball, you are unlikely to win by wearing out your opponent. just the way i see it. Situational pressing is still acceptable, but that shouldn't be your only tool.

If your not a good recruiter then you better have good X'S and O's skills. Mike has neither. That's the problem.

Breems

I like not getting blown out against good teams mmmk.
Proud member of the "Left Before Halftime" football club.

Quote from: Breems on January 27, 2011, 08:42:29 pm<br />SCREW VANDERBILT<br />

rude1

Quote from: bkjbearcat on March 17, 2018, 01:26:22 pm
If your not a good recruiter then you better have good X'S and O's skills. Mike has neither. That's the problem.
You guys can stop with the X & Os stuff. If you can't recruit talent I don't care what your chalk board ability is you are going to lose. Now recruiting doesn't mean you have to get the 5* elite talent, it means you have to have an eye for guys who can play the way you want. MA problem is he basically whiffed on everyone, just look at his roster, jucos and low level transfers, because he couldn't even land 3* talent that could play.

hawgball40

Quote from: bkjbearcat on March 17, 2018, 01:26:22 pm
You are right about the lack of recruiting, but in actuality he does have good X's and O's skills and he makes good in game adjustments. Always has. We run all the standard set plays and inbounds plays, but outside of that he has nothing, meaning his bag of tricks on offense is far too small and when you take away his strengths his only answer is the press and transition scoring. In the past he's used hot shooting and athleticism to overwhelm opponents but that no longer works. Defensively its another story. We're midway through a divorce with the press and its showing. Fundamentally, our defense is sound. Execution, meh. You saw daniel missing assignments and Trey just flatout not being athletic enough to stop anything, antons inability to get past a screen to the shoooter on the wing, otherwise the defense was good for the most part. In the end though, it doesn't matter. Either he develops a good defense and an adequate offense fast or he's done.

Atlhogfan1

Just love these "new" excuse making posters. Breems is right.  Butler didn't beat us by 17 because of cheating.  "Let's just give him more time."  He's 59 and had 7 seasons here. How much more time? What you want is for everyone to just be happy with whatever.  Program not even worth time to pay attention to it. Irrelevant.
Quote from: MaconBacon on March 22, 2018, 10:30:04 amWe had a good run in the 90's and one NC and now the whole state still laments that we are a top seed program and have kids standing in line to come to good ole Arkansas.  We're just a flash in the pan boys. 

Fan701

Ok.  I can see that my opinion is very much in the minority, even though I'm pretty sure that the odds are you'll regret it very much when some day you get your wish, and it doesn't at all work out for you, as it often doesn't.  Arkansas has been one of the best teams in its league over Mike's tenure and he's done it without cheating.  From reading the replies you'd think we had been the league's doormat for years.  The unreasoning mob often gets its way if it howls long and loud enough.  We'll see if it does in this case, too, and if it does, I guess I'll hope for the best.

Atlhogfan1

It's been a crap league till this season.  All that got us being one of the best was irrelevancy. A damn 7 seed underdog who lost by 17.  But we are clean!
Quote from: MaconBacon on March 22, 2018, 10:30:04 amWe had a good run in the 90's and one NC and now the whole state still laments that we are a top seed program and have kids standing in line to come to good ole Arkansas.  We're just a flash in the pan boys. 

HognotinMemphis

This "no cheating" excuse is getting overused. Firstly, none of us has any idea whether or not Anderson's assistants have never intentionally broken any NCAA rules. No idea. How do we know they have not paid for something for a recruit or a recruit's relative? How do we know that? Answer is, we don't. Not with 100% certainty.
Further, not every program and its boosters cheat. Statistically, most do not. A handful are caught every year. More cheat who are not caught. But it's not prevalent enough to use it as an excuse for not being competitive nationally or in the SEC, especially when we really have no idea wether or not Arkansas' coaches and boosters have never done anything under the table.
I don't want you to agree with me because you're weak. I want you to agree with me because you know I'm right.

Fan701

Quote from: Atlhogfan1 on March 17, 2018, 02:35:03 pm
It's been a crap league till this season.  All that got us being one of the best was irrelevancy. A damn 7 seed underdog who lost by 17.  But we are clean!
First, even excellent teams lose in the first round every year.  It doesn't happen just to us.  You know that, and I know how it hurts.  Second, being clean is important, at least to me, and may possibly become a big deal if the cheating schools are brought to book.  I just don't want to win badly enough to put a Calipari, a Pearl, or a Howland at the helm.  I admit I may be naïve to think anything will change as a result of the investigation.  As long as there is a one-and-done system and lots of money at stake, the incentives are in favor of cheating, so maybe nothing will change.  We'll see.

daprospecta

Quote from: Breems on March 17, 2018, 01:27:54 pm
I like not getting blown out against good teams mmmk.
Im sure Virginia feels the same way. What I find funny is how entitled our fan base has become NOW that we are consistently making the tourney with ease. Remember having to make the SEC tourney championship to be considered for an at Large bid with Health? You remember finishing the season 2-14 with Pel? Mike has brought some stability to our program. The only complaint you can truly have is not advancing past the round of 32 which is fair.
Don't kid yourselves, we had a good roster but not very good. Beard was a 6'0 point guard that couldn't facilitate, Macon and Barford were good guards but they are both 2 guards asked to play like point guards. Dan oozes potential but let's be honest, he's a first round pick based off potential and not where he is now as a player. Hall is going to be a gamer but he is still learning. I say that to say our team was not built for a run this year but if you break down our talent we are bringing back and what we have coming in, we will be good next year and moving forward. We will have point guards who are TRUE point guards, 2 guards who CAN SHOOT, forwards with length and athleticism and a more athletic team from top to bottom. The only thing we'll be missing is a true big man but in today's game, that is the least important position.

Fan701

Quote from: HoginMemphis on March 17, 2018, 02:44:04 pm
This "no cheating" excuse is getting overused. Firstly, none of us has any idea whether or not Anderson's assistants have never intentionally broken any NCAA rules. No idea. How do we know they have not paid for something for a recruit or a recruit's relative? How do we know that? Answer is, we don't. Not with 100% certainty.
Further, not every program and its boosters cheat. Statistically, most do not. A handful are caught every year. More cheat who are not caught. But it's not prevalent enough to use it as an excuse for not being competitive nationally or in the SEC, especially when we really have no idea wether or not Arkansas' coaches and boosters have never done anything under the table.
I don't think you've been following the story of the FBI investigation very closely.  Many if not most of the top teams are implicated in the investigation.  College basketball is hugely corrupt, while the chances that MA is involved in the corruption are zero.  As it stands right now, unless it is someone like Bobby Portis who always wanted to be a hog, there is little chance that Anderson will ever get a five star recruit, even in-state.  Players of that caliber almost always go to teams that figure out a way to funnel money to their families.  If the Perry and Monk fiascos didn't open your eyes, I guess nothing will.

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: daprospecta on March 17, 2018, 02:54:14 pm
Im sure Virginia feels the same way. What I find funny is how entitled our fan base has become NOW that we are consistently making the tourney with ease. Remember having to make the SEC tourney championship to be considered for an at Large bid with Health? You remember finishing the season 2-14 with Pel? Mike has brought some stability to our program. The only complaint you can truly have is not advancing past the round of 32 which is fair.
Don't kid yourselves, we had a good roster but not very good. Beard was a 6'0 point guard that couldn't facilitate, Macon and Barford were good guards but they are both 2 guards asked to play like point guards. Dan oozes potential but let's be honest, he's a first round pick based off potential and not where he is now as a player. Hall is going to be a gamer but he is still learning. I say that to say our team was not built for a run this year but if you break down our talent we are bringing back and what we have coming in, we will be good next year and moving forward. We will have point guards who are TRUE point guards, 2 guards who CAN SHOOT, forwards with length and athleticism and a more athletic team from top to bottom. The only thing we'll be missing is a true big man but in today's game, that is the least important position.

I remember making at least the Sw 16 10 times in 20 seasons. This just making the tourney ain't darn.   Got Heath fired. 

Always about what we are going to have now.

porkinsons disease

Mike has done a good job bringing us back to respectability. I think that is his ceiling. The huggers mantra is that " we could do worse". True, but it is the equivalent of playing the "bond market" and losing to inflation or "going for it" and investing in the stock market. Bigger risk, but much bigger reward. 7 years of minimal returns is enough.

We have the fanbase,facilities, enough local talent, and some tradition ( trailing only UK and possibly Florida). All we need is someone to lead us there. GO HOGS
This hiding behind he has a great recruiting classcoming in crap is just another excuse for this man. you could give this man M. Johnson and Larry Bird togather and he still would not win. he is a pitiful coach who can,t coach a lick.-fcj 1/22/2011

Atlhogfan1

Yesterday wasn't an exception. If it had been then we could excuse it.  It's been the norm under Anderson when on a big stage.  Not just losing but getting embarrassed. 

RazorPiggie

If he wasn't associated with Nolan he'd already be gone.

Pigasaurus

I'm seeing most teams run the same plays and rotations. I think our biggest gap is on the defensive side.  Fouling,  lack of rebounds and full press giving up easy baskets.
"If I wanted you to know what I was thinking, I would be talking."  Al Bundy

rhames

March 17, 2018, 03:51:22 pm #24 Last Edit: March 17, 2018, 05:28:17 pm by rhames
Obvisoly, being the internet and all, everyone's opinion is so one way or the other.

The truth is more in the middle. Anderson has had more success here than the last 2 guys however he can't seem to get quite over the hump for some people. That's understandable and I'm sure Anderson will be the first to admit he hasn't exceeded what he would have liked to.

He shouldn't be fired for yesterday though and he won't be.
"I'm too drunk to taste this chicken"

"Can we get some waffles after we get some ass?" - Aunt Tiffany Freeman

Quote from: Hamdsome 1 on September 05, 2023, 06:43:26 pmSTHU. I get in more steps per day, at work, than you could possibly fathom.
The only down time my legs see is when seated in 1st Class.

rhames

Quote from: RazorPiggie on March 17, 2018, 03:44:58 pm
If he wasn't associated with Nolan he'd already be gone.

Really?

I know this is a trendy thing to say but he is a coach that has produced winning seasons at a school that is in a unique situation.  The truth is he is at a point of crap or get off the pot.

Quote from: Hamdsome 1 on September 05, 2023, 06:43:26 pmSTHU. I get in more steps per day, at work, than you could possibly fathom.

3kgthog

Sick of this defeatist "best we can get" crap. There are LOTS of clean schools out there that are doing more in the NCAAT than Mike has. Just look at freakin' Butler!

solitons

Quote from: hawgball40 on March 17, 2018, 01:18:54 pm

- Lack of preperation

+1

solitons

Quote from: Atlhogfan1 on March 17, 2018, 03:44:04 pm
Yesterday wasn't an exception. If it had been then we could excuse it.  It's been the norm under Anderson when on a big stage.  Not just losing but getting embarrassed. 
true, too sad as a hog fan

solitons

you are so humor, go hogs

rhames

Quote from: 3kgthog on March 17, 2018, 03:53:11 pm
Sick of this defeatist "best we can get" crap. There are LOTS of clean schools out there that are doing more in the NCAAT than Mike has. Just look at freakin' Butler!

In all fairness Butler is a more prestigious basketball school than Arkansas has been the past 15 years.

phadedhawg

This was an odd season, and it's probably too soon for my dim brain to unpack all of it. 

It started out well.  We had some spark in the early season, minus getting absolutely blasted by Houston & North Carolina.  Gafford was exciting, the guards had some flash.  For one moment we dared hope.  Though most tried to whistle past it, Houston was the huge red flag for the fatal flaw in this team.  We understood losing to UNC.  We often do but Houston was a 92-66 dismantling.   A week or so later we thumped Minnesota and we were feeling good about ourselves again. 

Still, Houston never left me and I knew if this team encountered adversity on the road or a neutral floor they'd wilt.  That's exactly what happened against Butler. 

This collection of talent belongs to Mike Anderson.  If you look at the bodies we can put on the floor, it seems like we have the horses to compete with everyone outside of maybe the top 10 teams in the nation.  But Anderson can't get any consistency from his athletes. 

Next year won't be a season that involves post season basketball.  Everyone knows is.  There's no point pretending like we will.  Next year might actually put Anderson's winning season streak to rest.  If the SEC stays at the current level of performance we won't finish in the top 10.

That's when Anderson will be fired or retire.  Recruiting classes aren't anything to excited about when no one outside of stubborn homers think they will be developed. 

I think Anderson can be an alright coach and maybe even good enough to have success at Arkansas but his staff, aside from Melvin Watkins (maybe) bring nothing to the table.  Thurman and Cleveland may be alright recruiters but they are also Nolan/Mike sycophants who are cut from the exact same cloth as Anderson.  We need some dogs on the staff that will challenge Anderson and these players.  Someone who can shake things up and Anderson isn't going to bring in someone like that.  Anderson seems comfortable with the way of things as they are now. 

Poker_hog

Quote from: hawgball40 on March 17, 2018, 01:36:03 pm
In the past he's used hot shooting and athleticism to overwhelm opponents but that no longer works. Defensively its another story. We're midway through a divorce with the press and its showing. Fundamentally, our defense is sound. Execution, meh. You saw daniel missing assignments and Trey just flatout not being athletic enough to stop anything, antons inability to get past a screen to the shoooter on the wing, otherwise the defense was good for the most part. In the end though, it doesn't matter. Either he develops a good defense and an adequate offense fast or he's done.

Exactly.  So we're not winnin games anymore by points off of turnovers.  So what is the advantage mike gives us?  Recruiting?  Half court offense/defense?  Player development?  Rebounding?
Sometimes wrong, but never in doubt

Sharky

If the FBI investigation results in a more level playing field for clean coaches like Anderson, then the handicaps he faces in getting five star talent will be gone.

Mike doesn't get five-star talent because he runs a high-intensity, deep rotation, and a five-star recruit's in-game playing time at Arkansas will be significantly less than at other programs.

Fan701

Quote from: Sharky on March 17, 2018, 04:18:44 pm
Mike doesn't get five-star talent because he runs a high-intensity, deep rotation, and a five-star recruit's in-game playing time at Arkansas will be significantly less than at other programs.
Macon and Barford played over 30 minutes a game, even more in conference play.  How much do you propose to play them, 40 minutes?  He doesn't get five-star talent for one reason:  He refuses to play the paying-under-the-table game.  Any coach who doesn't figure out a way to funnel money to AAU coaches and/or the families will almost never get a five-star player under the one-and-done regime.

steveaustin69

cypert2

Quote from: daprospecta on March 17, 2018, 02:54:14 pm
Now that we are consistently making the tourney with ease?
Swinging on the two and the four.

steveaustin69

Quote from: bkjbearcat on March 17, 2018, 01:18:13 pm
And the coach it touched will get a job somewhere in the next season or two.

Hopefully on the Hill!

steveaustin69

Quote from: Fan701 on March 17, 2018, 02:47:05 pm
First, even excellent teams lose in the first round every year.  It doesn't happen just to us.  You know that, and I know how it hurts.  Second, being clean is important, at least to me, and may possibly become a big deal if the cheating schools are brought to book.  I just don't want to win badly enough to put a Calipari, a Pearl, or a Howland at the helm.  I admit I may be naïve to think anything will change as a result of the investigation.  As long as there is a one-and-done system and lots of money at stake, the incentives are in favor of cheating, so maybe nothing will change.  We'll see.

Speak for yourself. I care about wins.

Do you also think dry counties are a good idea?

Hog_Fink

Quote from: Sharky on March 17, 2018, 04:18:44 pm

haven't seen any high intensity. we've been soft

Fan701

Quote from: steveaustin69 on March 17, 2018, 04:54:22 pm
Speak for yourself. I care about wins.

Do you also think dry counties are a good idea?
I acknowledge that some will win at any cost, lie, cheat, or steal, and do it gladly.  I'm just not one of them.  Dry counties?

steveaustin69

Quote from: Fan701 on March 17, 2018, 04:59:17 pm
I acknowledge that some will win at any cost, lie, cheat, or steal, and do it gladly.  I'm just not one of them.  Dry counties?

Since you're hell bent on being clean I assumed you are a bible thumper. I guess you couldn't make the connection.

Inhogswetrust

Lanny Van Eman was suppose to be the best they could get then Eddie was hired. Eddie was suppose to be the best then Nolan was hired and took us to a NC. Now we haven't sniffed a final four much less a NC so I doubt Miike is the best we can get. Four other coaches at the UA have been in a Final Four, Rose, Lambert, Sutton and Richardson. Lambert actually had them in position to go in 1944 but a car crash meant two,players were not available so they didn't go. They did the next year. Mike hasn't come close.
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

Fan701

Quote from: steveaustin69 on March 17, 2018, 05:05:48 pm
Since you're hell bent on being clean I assumed you are a bible thumper. I guess you couldn't make the connection.
You mean someone like Jimmy Swaggert?  I think you're getting pretty far off topic with the religion thing.  Lying, cheating, and stealing to win and get ahead just aren't my thing.  I guess in this era that makes me a loser.  Good luck to you.

Inhogswetrust

March 17, 2018, 05:20:15 pm #44 Last Edit: March 17, 2018, 06:05:14 pm by Inhogswetrust
Quote from: Fan701 on March 17, 2018, 02:47:05 pm

Sure excellent teams get beat. Unfortunately we aren't excellent and have not been throughout his tenure here. That is on the coach.
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: phadedhawg on March 17, 2018, 04:00:49 pm
This was an odd season, and it's probably too soon for my dim brain to unpack all of it. 

It started out well.  We had some spark in the early season, minus getting absolutely blasted by Houston & North Carolina.  Gafford was exciting, the guards had some flash.  For one moment we dared hope.  Though most tried to whistle past it, Houston was the huge red flag for the fatal flaw in this team.  We understood losing to UNC.  We often do but Houston was a 92-66 dismantling.   A week or so later we thumped Minnesota and we were feeling good about ourselves again. 

Still, Houston never left me and I knew if this team encountered adversity on the road or a neutral floor they'd wilt.  That's exactly what happened against Butler. 

This collection of talent belongs to Mike Anderson.  If you look at the bodies we can put on the floor, it seems like we have the horses to compete with everyone outside of maybe the top 10 teams in the nation.  But Anderson can't get any consistency from his athletes. 

Next year won't be a season that involves post season basketball.  Everyone knows is.  There's no point pretending like we will.  Next year might actually put Anderson's winning season streak to rest.  If the SEC stays at the current level of performance we won't finish in the top 10.

That's when Anderson will be fired or retire.  Recruiting classes aren't anything to excited about when no one outside of stubborn homers think they will be developed. 

I think Anderson can be an alright coach and maybe even good enough to have success at Arkansas but his staff, aside from Melvin Watkins (maybe) bring nothing to the table.  Thurman and Cleveland may be alright recruiters but they are also Nolan/Mike sycophants who are cut from the exact same cloth as Anderson.  We need some dogs on the staff that will challenge Anderson and these players.  Someone who can shake things up and Anderson isn't going to bring in someone like that.  Anderson seems comfortable with the way of things as they are now.

It was the s o s outside of the OU win. Lost big to UNC with a chance to make a statement.  Lost big Houston on road.  Sucked in SEC first half.  Crap road record. Made a late push to make the tourney.  SOS.

Why wouldn't he be comfortable?   He doesn't have to accomplish darn.  Such a dumb situation for a program to be in but leave it to Arkansas. 

cardsNhogs

If Anderson had Monk and Perry next year we still would be Mediocre because The Man Can't Coach

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: Inhogswetrust on March 17, 2018, 05:20:15 pm
Sure excellent teams get beat. Unfortunately we aren't excellent. That is on the coach.

When excellent teams lose its an exception. When we lose big on that stage it's the norm. These apologists want you to look past it.

oldbooniehog

Pelphrey, who is hated for good reason, won 1 NCAA tourney game in 4 years.

Anderson has won 2 NCAA tourney games in 7 years...

TRUTH.

rude1

Quote from: Fan701 on March 17, 2018, 04:31:07 pm
Macon and Barford played over 30 minutes a game, even more in conference play.  How much do you propose to play them, 40 minutes?  He doesn't get five-star talent for one reason:  He refuses to play the paying-under-the-table game.  Any coach who doesn't figure out a way to funnel money to AAU coaches and/or the families will almost never get a five-star player under the one-and-done regime.
I guess the pay has trickled down to the 3* players because we haven't loaded up on those either. Lots of quality kids that are 3* players yet we hardly get any, and the ones we get are projects. Trying to build and sustain a program off of Juco players, and low level transfers has it ceiling.