Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Another interesting Nutt vs CBB comparison you haven't noticed

Started by depressed_fan, October 22, 2017, 07:15:59 am

Previous topic - Next topic

depressed_fan

2004 and 2005 were undeniably Nutt's worst two years out of ten.

In 2004 Houston Nutt went 0 for October;

30-45 Loss At #16 Florida
20-38 Loss At #4 Auburn, the same Auburn team that went 13-0
14-20 Loss home vs #10 Georiga
32-35 Loss At South Carolina

Worst Loss of the year; 43-14 in LR vs LSU in front of a SOLD OUT CROWD.

2005 was Nutt's worst record in 10 seasons;

The conference losses from 2005
13-24 At #20Alabama
17-34 vs #21Auburn
20-23 At  #4Georgia
10-14 vs South Carolina
17-19 At #3 LSU
24-28 vs Vanderbilt *jay cutler draft season*

Look at the scores of these games and the patterns.  This is all in the sports history books with the ARKANSAS RAZORBACKS name on it. Houston Nutt competed. Houston Nutt repeatedly , REPEATEDLY went on the road after tough loss and played close games with top 5 ranked teams.

Today WE are getting beat by scores that is absolutely disgusting and shameful.

Hoggish1

I'd rather talk about the decision to hide the Hog on the helmet.  Was that our idea or did Nike do that?  That was a bad way to start the game—seeing that for the first time...

Malvin

Not sure how anybody could compare the 2.  Everybody remembers how Nutt ended.. which btw Gus had a hand in.  What they forget about is that nearly every game he brought a team to the field that competed.  Remember that those 2004 and 2005 years Arkansas was under probation starting in 2003.. and yet he was still competitive.

Let's be honest, Nutt was a good/great coach.. not elite, but he was a good fit for Arkansas.  Bret is going down as being the worst coach in history of the Razorback program.

Boarsnest

Quote from: depressed_fan on October 22, 2017, 07:15:59 am

13-24 At #20Alabama
17-34 vs #21Auburn
20-23 At  #4Georgia
10-14 vs South Carolina
17-19 At #3 LSU

Look at the scores of these games and the patterns.  This is all in the sports history books with the ARKANSAS RAZORBACKS name on it. Houston Nutt competed. Houston Nutt repeatedly , REPEATEDLY went on the road after tough loss and played close games with top 5 ranked teams.

Bret is not even a pimple of Nutt's butt!

I'm not a Nutt fan, I wanted him gone 2 years before he received his happy trails check! To compare Bret to Nutt is an insult to Nutt, might want to watch out making comparisons. Nutt likes to sue for slander! Lol!

havok

I'd Say we should compare the current state of the program to JLS's one year...but that depresses me even more that JLS will end up with a better record than thi season..(And will be even worse next year unless a Major change happens)

hawgon

Bielema is Nutt without the Arkansas love and pride.  Nutt did better simply because he cared more.  Once Bielema is gone, it will be a long time before he steps foot back in this state.

depressed_fan

Quote from: hawgon on October 22, 2017, 07:49:47 am
Bielema is Nutt without the Arkansas love and pride.  Nutt did better simply because he cared more.  Once Bielema is gone, it will be a long time before he steps foot back in this state.

That's one way of looking at it I suppose.

Do you remember the post game interview after the 04 or 05 Ole Miss play where Nutt exclaimed about a TD play "IT WAS A CALLED PLAY, AND I CALLED IT CHUCK!!! Hey CHUCK, AND I MADE SOME GOOD CALLS TODAY BUDDY"

When we first heard that as fans, we thought it was embarrassing. Looking back, that was so precious. How much he cared about winning and how much pride he had. That was a microcosm of who he was. Could you imagine CBB acting with that much excitement in his 5th year????

hawgon

Quote from: depressed_fan on October 22, 2017, 08:04:18 am

Do you remember the post game interview after the 04 or 05 Ole Miss play where Nutt exclaimed about a TD play "IT WAS A CALLED PLAY, AND I CALLED IT CHUCK!!! Hey CHUCK, AND I MADE SOME GOOD CALLS TODAY BUDDY"

When we first heard that as fans, we thought it was embarrassing. Looking back, that was so precious. How much he cared about winning and how much pride he had. That was a microcosm of who he was. Could you imagine CBB acting with that much excitement in his 5th year????

Well, Nutt was certainly a malignant narcissist, but the stage for his one man play was Arkansas.  It was all he knew and all he wanted to know.  If it was all about him, it was all about him showing everyone in his home state how good he was because he wanted to be the BMOC for the state forever.  To the extent it worked for him, it worked for us.

Bielema's personality isn't as toxic, and he is probably not as much of a narcissist, but he doesn't care about the state or the program that much.  And though he knows this is an unacceptable level of winning anywhere, in his private moments I suspect that he wonders what all the fuss is about.  Because, after all, it's just Arkansas.  It isn't like they have a right to be that good anyway.

There is a complete and total disconnect with this athletic administration and our history at Arkansas.

hawgdavis

Quote from: depressed_fan on October 22, 2017, 07:15:59 am

13-24 At #20Alabama
17-34 vs #21Auburn
20-23 At  #4Georgia
10-14 vs South Carolina
17-19 At #3 LSU

I'll give you the records but one thing that stood out to me looking at those scores is that we were at least competitive, our games against the sec keep getting less and less competitive. We have become a sure win/doormat game for the sec . As bad as HDN was at times we for the most part felt like we had a chance to win most every game. Comparing the teams HDNs teams looked like the had grown men playing as opposed to what we have seen with BB the last couple years. IMO HDN would own BB head to head and that's sad.

Sorry I didn't read your entire post before I posted my bad looks like we are on the same page and both feeling the same pain.

chiefhawg

Quote from: Hoggish1 on October 22, 2017, 07:43:42 am
I'd rather talk about the decision to hide the Hog on the helmet.  Was that our idea or did Nike do that?  That was a bad way to start the game—seeing that for the first time...
Last night my wife walked past the TV and asked when did we change colors.

Hogwild

Quote from: Boarsnest on October 22, 2017, 07:47:05 am
Bret is not even a pimple of Nutt's butt!

It has been like a lost decade.  Ten years ago I walked out of Tiger Stadium having just watch us defeat the #1 team in the country. We were the defending SEC West champions and were headed to the Cotton Bowl, but the future was brighter.  Nutt and Frank were gone and Long would now be in charge and everything would be run professionally.

Over the past 10 years, we have the worse SEC record in our division, 29-37. Three head coaches in the span, an number the looks to increase soon, have lost 5 games or more in 8 of the past 10 seasons.

hawgXi

The only reason hootie made that "l called that play" comment was because of all the heat he was catching about his predictable play calling

Vantage 8 dude

Easy: the hog has way too much pride to continually be humiliated week after week. It's decided to boycott any and all future games until it can be assured it won't be barbecued game after game.

HognitiveDissonance

Correct, Nutt was a GREAT FIT for this job.
Obviously his successor did better.
But Nutt did a very good job here, I've always thought a B+ grade.
Averaging 7.5 wins for 10 years is good for Arkansas. Because the key is, there were some spikes in there: 1998, 2006

The further irony is, with the LR games dying, Nutt actually LIKED the LR games. He EMBRACED the LR games, since he was from LR.

And this is the job he always wanted.

I would take him over Bielema in a heartbeat, right now. (and I like Bret, but just not getting anything done)

hamARchy in the USA

Perhaps the difference isn't in the quality of the two coaches but in the quality of the two ADs.

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: hamARchy in the USA on October 22, 2017, 02:48:05 pm
Perhaps the difference isn't in the quality of the two coaches but in the quality of the two ADs.

Wouldn't call Frank in the 2000s till his forced retirement due to Nutt quality. 

Quote from: HognitiveDissonance on October 22, 2017, 02:41:24 pm
Correct, Nutt was a GREAT FIT for this job.
Obviously his successor did better.
But Nutt did a very good job here, I've always thought a B+ grade.
Averaging 7.5 wins for 10 years is good for Arkansas. Because the key is, there were some spikes in there: 1998, 2006

The further irony is, with the LR games dying, Nutt actually LIKED the LR games. He EMBRACED the LR games, since he was from LR.

And this is the job he always wanted.

I would take him over Bielema in a heartbeat, right now. (and I like Bret, but just not getting anything done)

He was a great fit because he grew up in LR?  I guess if you were wanting a new chancellor and AD then Nutt would be your guy as he does make change happen in those positions. 
Quote from: MaconBacon on March 22, 2018, 10:30:04 amWe had a good run in the 90's and one NC and now the whole state still laments that we are a top seed program and have kids standing in line to come to good ole Arkansas.  We're just a flash in the pan boys. 

oldhog63

Quote from: hawgon on October 22, 2017, 09:06:17 am
...And though he knows this is an unacceptable level of winning anywhere, in his private moments I suspect that he wonders what all the fuss is about.  Because, after all, it's just Arkansas.  It isn't like they have a right to be that good anyway.

There is a complete and total disconnect with this athletic administration and our history at Arkansas.
I think the same thing could be said about Long.

HognitiveDissonance

Quote from: Atlhogfan1 on October 22, 2017, 02:54:34 pm
Wouldn't call Frank in the 2000s till his forced retirement due to Nutt quality. 

He was a great fit because he grew up in LR?  I guess if you were wanting a new chancellor and AD then Nutt would be your guy as he does make change happen in those positions.
He was a great fit because he was from Ark and loved the Hogs more than anyone else.

You don't have to be from here, John McDonnell wasn't, Broyles wasn't.

But at the very least you can't deny Nutt's passion for this job.

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: MaconBacon on March 22, 2018, 10:30:04 amWe had a good run in the 90's and one NC and now the whole state still laments that we are a top seed program and have kids standing in line to come to good ole Arkansas.  We're just a flash in the pan boys. 

OneTuskOverTheLine™

Quote from: hawgXi on October 22, 2017, 10:57:59 am
The only reason hootie made that "l called that play" comment was because of all the heat he was catching about his predictable play calling

And a couple of meme's with His thought balloon picturing a "Nintendo" offensive call list, and Gus being projected to be Einstein in comparison. Nutt's only problem was that he was a giggety ol country boy and everyone in NWA had just begun to believe themselves better than the rest of the state because all of the folks from around the country moving in and looking down their noses at them. The whole area now looks like a dog and pony show put on for the out of town folks daring enough to dirty themselves among the unwashed masses.

If you have scrubbed the drawl out of your speech patterns then I am speaking directly to you...
Quote from: capehog on March 12, 2010...
My ex wife had a pet monkey I used to play with. That was one of the few things I liked about her

quote from: golf2day on June 19, 2014....
I'm disgusted, but kinda excited. Now I'm disgusted that I'm excited.

TNRazorbacker

Do you really want the Hog to be obvious right now?

hamARchy in the USA

Quote from: Atlhogfan1 on October 22, 2017, 02:54:34 pm

Compared to Long it was rarefied air.

theFlyingHog

I'd take Nutt back right now. If he'd swaller his pride and get good coordinators and let them call the plays and just be the rah rah guy

Dwight_K_Shrute

The correct comparison is not Bielema to Nutt, but Bielema to Danny Ford.  Meandered along in first two years, peaked in year 3 then downward trend in year 4 and 5.   Both had high levels of success at other programs, both did a few good things in their time here, neither was ready for long term success in the SEC.
Little known fact, but prior to settling on Guantanamo, the Pentagon wanted to house terror suspects at War Memorial Stadium.  It was deemed to be cruel and unusual punishment and in violation of the Geneva Convention.

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: theFlyingHog on October 22, 2017, 04:42:03 pm
I'd take Nutt back right now. If he'd swaller his pride and get good coordinators and let them call the plays and just be the rah rah guy

The man could have been coach for life here had he done that.  Not in the Dales DNA.  Lesser Dabo.

johnny cash

Nutt looks like Saban compared to this goon that calls himself a coach.

LZH

+1 for actually getting the quote right. Most people for some reason think it was "I called that play brotha".

cal34

Quote from: theFlyingHog on October 22, 2017, 04:42:03 pm

He could get his teams motivated to play.  They were always showing his locker room speeches on tv.  Don't think ive ever seen a Coach B pep talk.

Sho Nuff

Quote from: Dwight_K_Shrute on October 22, 2017, 04:47:40 pm
The correct comparison is not Bielema to Nutt, but Bielema to Danny Ford.  Meandered along in first two years, peaked in year 3 then downward trend in year 4 and 5.   Both had high levels of success at other programs, both did a few good things in their time here, neither was ready for long term success in the SEC.
Good comparison

31to6

Quote from: cal34 on October 22, 2017, 05:22:26 pm
He could get his teams motivated to play.  They were always showing his locker room speeches on tv.  Don't think ive ever seen a Coach B pep talk.
Whatever it is that he says, it is best it stays in the locker room.

If one of his halftime rallies ever got out into the wild, there are probably some really depressed people out there that it might just push over the edge...