Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

For the love of everything holy, can we please just beat the Texas A&M Aggies?

Started by NuttinItUp, March 27, 2017, 12:13:28 am

Previous topic - Next topic

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: RazorWest on March 29, 2017, 12:47:44 pm
Hogs
2007 - 2011: 15 NFL Draftees
2012-2016: 22 NFL Draftees

Don't we have more talent with that logic?

A&M recruited and signed more highly ranked talent and did less with it from 2012-2016. Arkansas developed more talent and produced more NFL Draftees.

The difference is that 10 of A&M's NFL Draftees from 2012-2016 were 3rd round or higher picks (7-1st rounders).

Arkansas had 3 during that time that went in the 3rd round or higher and none were 1st round picks.

From 2007-2011 Arkansas had 7 NFL Draft picks that were 3rd round or higher, 3 of those 1st rounders.

During that same time (not in the SEC yet) A&M had just 2 NFL Draft picks that were 3rd round or higher with only 1 as a 1st rounder.
Go Hogs Go!

hogcard1964

Hogs

This won't be accepted well.

RazorWest

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on March 29, 2017, 02:50:17 pm
A&M recruited and signed more highly ranked talent and did less with it from 2012-2016. Arkansas developed more talent and produced more NFL Draftees.

The difference is that 10 of A&M's NFL Draftees from 2012-2016 were 3rd round or higher picks (7-1st rounders).

Arkansas had 3 during that time that went in the 3rd round or higher and none were 1st round picks.

From 2007-2011 Arkansas had 7 NFL Draft picks that were 3rd round or higher, 3 of those 1st rounders.

During that same time (not in the SEC yet) A&M had just 2 NFL Draft picks that were 3rd round or higher with only 1 as a 1st rounder.

So I agree there is a large gap between a 1-3rd rounder and a 6th rounder.  Just pointing out that Arkansas wasn't playing with an empty deck. 

NuttinItUp

Quote from: hogcard1964 on March 29, 2017, 02:18:35 pm
How so?

I believe we hold a pretty lop sided edge in our lifetime series against them.

We lead the series 41–29–3  (49 wins, 29 losses, 3 ties)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arkansas%E2%80%93Texas_A%26M_football_rivalry

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: RazorWest on March 29, 2017, 04:00:42 pm
So I agree there is a large gap between a 1-3rd rounder and a 6th rounder.  Just pointing out that Arkansas wasn't playing with an empty deck. 

Which was the reason for this statement.

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on March 29, 2017, 02:50:17 pm

Not an empty deck and certainly a testimony to the development of players who became good enough to be drafted, but more highly talented players on the field for A&M than we had.
Go Hogs Go!

Tusks

I don't know why the hogs just don't roll the program up and quit.  It's just so hard.
sometimes it's a good and some times it's a schit

We need a few good and ready second teamers who can come in and play the game at a reasonable level.  We always lose the A&M game late.  Dead Tired playing against More Fresher Legs.  I realize I must remember those Dead Legs still give us the best chance to win.  So I have heard on Hogville.

Hogtimes

Quote from: hogcard1964 on March 29, 2017, 02:18:35 pm
How so?

I believe we hold a pretty lop sided edge in our lifetime series against them.

41-29 not so lopsided.   Anyway,   I am talking about now not what happened in the old days.

hogcard1964

Quote from: Hogtimes on March 30, 2017, 10:42:14 am
41-29 not so lopsided.   Anyway,   I am talking about now not what happened in the old days.

They're not very good right now.   ...and haven't been since 2013.

Hogtimes

Quote from: hogcard1964 on March 30, 2017, 10:46:11 am
They're not very good right now.   ...and haven't been since 2013.

Well who has won the last  5  games between us?.  The point you brought up  was not how good or bad they are, but that we had a better program and team.  If they are not very good, what does that make us?

hogcard1964

Quote from: Hogtimes on March 30, 2017, 11:16:11 am
Well who has won the last  5  games between us?.  The point you brought up  was not how good or bad they are, but that we had a better program and team.  If they are not very good, what does that make us?

I'm with ya and agree.  All I'm saying is, they really shouldn't be a program we strive to be.  They're really good about once or twice per decade.

I was just re-iterating that historically we're better.

wildturkey8

Quote from: Hogtimes on March 29, 2017, 02:11:14 pm
I will get hammered for saying this....but IMO we do not have a better program or team.  That is the problem
Yes you will and deservedly so.

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: Hogtimes on March 30, 2017, 11:16:11 am

It certainly makes us consistently inconsistent. We have usually been more of second half of the season kind of team. A&M on the other hand has usually been more of a first half of the season kind of team. The problem for us has been two fold, 1) it has usually taken us some time to get it together as a team and 2) we haven't played them in the second half of any season. My guess is that had we played them during the second half of our seasons we might have won 3 or 4 of the last 5.
Go Hogs Go!

WizardofhOgZ

I was just talking to one of my football buddies about this yesterday.  He asked me who I wanted to beat, more than anyone, this fall.

I told him I had two answers, for two totally different reasons.  One, is Alabama, for the obvious reasons.

But the other is A&M, and I don't care if they finish 2-10 or 11-1.  And my reason is because in my life (I'm in my 60's), we have dominated A&M on a consistent basis.  Over the past 5 games, we have flat blown at least 3 games we should have won . . . so now, Aggie Nation (most of whom do not remember how thoroughly we dominated them during the SWC days) think it is their "birthright" to beat Arkansas.  Poor, misguided idiots.

But I understand why they feel that way - they didn't have any history with us for many years, then - after we whipped them 3 years in a row before they joined the SEC - they have won 5 in a row.  Most of them very shaky wins, but wins none-the-less.

It's past time to get things back to normal - which means, whipping Aggie Arse on a regular basis.

PorkSoda

Hogs

had more talent.  that talent is now in the NFL, obviously.
"I became insane, with long intervals of horrible sanity." ― Edgar Allan Poe
"If quantum mechanics hasn't profoundly shocked you, you haven't understood it yet. Everything we call real is made of things that cannot be regarded as real." – Niels Bohr
"A mind stretched to a new idea, never returns to its original dimensions" ~ Oliver Wendell Holmes
Quote from: PonderinHog on August 07, 2023, 06:37:15 pmYeah, we're all here, but we ain't all there.

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: WizardofhOgZ on March 31, 2017, 10:39:06 am
I was just talking to one of my football buddies about this yesterday.  He asked me who I wanted to beat, more than anyone, this fall.

I told him I had two answers, for two totally different reasons.  One, is Alabama, for the obvious reasons.

But the other is A&M, and I don't care if they finish 2-10 or 11-1.  And my reason is because in my life (I'm in my 60's), we have dominated A&M on a consistent basis.  Over the past 5 games, we have flat blown at least 3 games we should have won . . . so now, Aggie Nation (most of whom do not remember how thoroughly we dominated them during the SWC days) think it is their "birthright" to beat Arkansas.  Poor, misguided idiots.

But I understand why they feel that way - they didn't have any history with us for many years, then - after we whipped them 3 years in a row before they joined the SEC - they have won 5 in a row.  Most of them very shaky wins, but wins none-the-less.

It's past time to get things back to normal - which means, whipping Aggie Arse on a regular basis.

Well it probably won't be easy.

The good news, they lose WR's Josh Reynolds (6-3, 191), Pope, Tabuyo, Niederhofer, Speedy Noil and Ricky Seals-Jones (6-5, 235) that accounted for 57% of their catches, 65% of their receiving yards and 62.5% of their receiving TD's. Christian Kirk does return with 83 receptions LY for 928 yards and 9 TD's, but the rest of the returning receivers only had 15 catches for 164 yards LY and no TD's.

More good news is that Trevor Knight is gone at QB so they will try to make their money with Jake Hubenak (6-3, 215) who is bigger than Knight, but like Knight, isn't that great of a passer 61 of 104 (58.7%) for 884 yards and 6 TD's LY.

The bad news is that at RB, everyone returns (336 rushes for 2070 yards at 6.2 yards per carry).

On the O-Line they lose both starting OT's but other than that, everyone else is back including all of their depth.

Along the D-line their biggest losses are Daeshon Hall and Myles Garrett, but they return 61% of their tackles and 52% of their TFL. The bad news for them is that with the departure of Hall and Garrett they lose 13 of their 28 sacks last year.

At LB they lose reserve player Claude George (MLB) and starter Shaun Washington (WLB) and between them they accounted for 52% of all tackles by LB's, 58% of all TFL, 67% of all Sacks and George had the only INT by any LB'er last year. So most of the starters and 2 deep are back.

Most of their Secondary returns with the only noticeable absence being SS Justin Evans who had the highest totals in the Secondary in Tackles (69.5), INT's (4) and PBU's (12).

A&M comes back in 2017 pretty loaded. I fully expect that there will be another replay of the last 2-3 seasons...start out strong, look like they are going to win 10-11 games and then lose momentum in the 2nd half of the season and win around 7-8 games. I wish we played them in the last half of our schedule.
Go Hogs Go!

McKdaddy

Don't buy upgrades, ride up grades.

"You are everything that is wrong with this place . . . Ban me"

"CPI, ex-food and energy, is only good for an anorexic pedestrian"--Art Cashin

MuskogeeHogFan

Go Hogs Go!

NuttinItUp

McKdaddy

Don't buy upgrades, ride up grades.

"You are everything that is wrong with this place . . . Ban me"

"CPI, ex-food and energy, is only good for an anorexic pedestrian"--Art Cashin

Cardinal Browne

I also married into a family of aggies, and most of my kids and their spouses are aggies as well... so I need some relief from the neverending annoyance of losing to them... I'm a Beliema fan, but really think he needs to prioritize beating the ags to get the right momentum going into SEC play and to just shut those annoying aggies the hell up... 5 years is too long... I need to be able to look forward to this game every year again...wps!

NuttinItUp

Quote from: Cardinal Browne on April 14, 2017, 04:35:10 pm
I also married into a family of aggies, and most of my kids and their spouses are aggies as well... so I need some relief from the neverending annoyance of losing to them... I'm a Beliema fan, but really think he needs to prioritize beating the ags to get the right momentum going into SEC play and to just shut those annoying aggies the hell up... 5 years is too long... I need to be able to look forward to this game every year again...wps!

This sounds like one of the 9 circles of hell.

I agree with making this game a priority and a necessity for moving the program forward.

Hardcore Hoggy

If you wanna be the best, you have to beat the best. I don't care if we lost to TAMU, I want a Bama win in the worst way.

KlubhouseKonnected

Quote from: Cardinal Browne on April 14, 2017, 04:35:10 pm

In the wild, if an animals' young (offspring) shows any sign of Aggie fandom... it eats them.
If Auburn is dirty so is Gus. You can't have it both ways. Deal with it.

NuttinItUp

Quote from: Hardcore Hoggy on April 25, 2017, 11:08:37 am
If you wanna be the best, you have to beat the best. I don't care if we lost to TAMU, I want a Bama win in the worst way.

Bama loss is at least understandable most years.

The continual Aggie loss each year is just plain annoying as hell.

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: NuttinItUp on April 25, 2017, 11:28:37 pm
Bama loss is at least understandable most years.

The continual Aggie loss each year is just plain annoying as hell.

When you consider that we were inside the A&M 11 yard line 3 times and came away with zero points and that we handed them points on a platter giving up 3 runs of 40-49 yards, 1 in the 60-69 yard range and another in the 90-100 yard range, it is easy to see why it is so frustrating. From an offensive standpoint we obviously can't allow that to happen but from a defensive standpoint, this is a great example of why I talk so much about limiting the big plays that we give up. Aside from the points that it gives the opponent, allowing big plays like this just breaks the spirit of a defense.

As for beating Alabama, the score this past season was 49-30. Well check out these missed or given away opportunities in that game.

Vs. Alabama   
Kick Off Reception   We fumble, give Alabama the ball at our 29 yard line, they score 7.
2nd Quarter           2nd and 7 at our own 23, we fumble, recovered by Alabama who runs 23 yards for 7.
2nd Quarter           1st and 18 at Alabama 18 yard line. 11 yard completion, incomplete, incomplete, settle for FG. Unsportsmanlike on Hogs, assessed on KO.
3rd Quarter           1st and 10 at our own 3 yard line, incomplete, incomplete, thrown INT at our own 18. Alabama scores in 4 plays for another 7.
3rd Quarter           1st and 10 at Alabama 39. Run for no gain, incomplete, run for no gain, thrown INT to end drive.
4th Quarter           1st and 10 at Alabama 12 yard line. Sacked for 8 yds then a thrown INT that is returned 100 yards for 7 points.

Points left on the field:    Minimum of 6, maxium of 18.
Points Given Away:         28
Go Hogs Go!

TDHawgs

The biggest problem is officiating.. sorry, but just my 2 cents... cost us many games against them... they didn't like Skipper for sure.

HognotinMemphis

A&M has sort of become Bielema's SMU from the '90's. SMU had a hand in Ford losing his job at Arkansas. If Bielema cannot beat our only Texas-based SEC opponent more frequently than once every 6 or 7 years, he will not last much longer at Arkansas. That regular loss will be a symptom of bigger problems that will be his ultimate demise.
I don't want you to agree with me because you're weak. I want you to agree with me because you know I'm right.

bphi11ips

Quote from: HoginMemphis on April 26, 2017, 11:00:25 am
A&M has sort of become Bielema's SMU from the '90's. SMU had a hand in Ford losing his job at Arkansas. If Bielema cannot beat our only Texas-based SEC opponent more frequently than once every 6 or 7 years, he will not last much longer at Arkansas. That regular loss will be a symptom of bigger problems that will be his ultimate demise.

Dang.  Look who the cat cat dragged in.  ;)
Life is too short for grudges and feuds.

HognotinMemphis

Quote from: bphi11ips on April 26, 2017, 11:24:41 am
Dang.  Look who the cat cat dragged in.  ;)
Yep. Present and accounted for. Almost 2 1/2 years since last log in here. How are you doing?
I don't want you to agree with me because you're weak. I want you to agree with me because you know I'm right.

bphi11ips

Quote from: HoginMemphis on April 26, 2017, 11:27:49 am
Yep. Present and accounted for. Almost 2 1/2 years since last log in here. How are you doing?

Couldn't be better. Just got back from a weekend of turkey hunting with The Alter Boys. 
Life is too short for grudges and feuds.