Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Good to see all the 1 and done schools

Started by upperdeck_hawg, March 26, 2017, 06:34:46 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

upperdeck_hawg

all out of the tournament. All four schools in the final four have done it the traditional way. It was easy to root against Duke, Kansas and especially Ky.
I don't hate the guy.  He's a great Hog, and a needed contributor.  I despise that he does not understand his role as a complimentary player puts an absolute ceiling on this team.

-ErieHog on Devo Davis

hawgdavis

Didn't know Duke was a one and done school UCLA on the other hand yes.

You can have all the one and dones in the world but most of the time it still takes more than one season to gel and get great chemistry.

TNhawgfan

Quote from: hawgdavis on March 26, 2017, 07:29:12 pm

You can have all the one and dones in the world but most of the time it still takes more than one season to gel and get great chemistry.
Wasn't there 3 one and dones on dukes NC team from two years ago? Coach K himself has said he's embraced the one and done philosophy
I'd rather be dead than be a Vol

theFlyingHog

Quote from: TNhawgfan on March 26, 2017, 07:42:30 pm
Wasn't there 3 one and dones on dukes NC team from two years ago? Coach K himself has said he's embraced the one and done philosophy
I hate to hear that. I had heard some number of years ago that he would not hang a championship banner if the entire team didn't graduate. And I respected that a lot

factchecker

WORK FOR IT
PLAN ON IT
EARN IT
OMAHOGS

upperdeck_hawg

Duke had 3 during the NC year. He has at least two this year.
I don't hate the guy.  He's a great Hog, and a needed contributor.  I despise that he does not understand his role as a complimentary player puts an absolute ceiling on this team.

-ErieHog on Devo Davis

MountieDawg

UNC was supposed to have one and dones but they were not coached up quick enough.  They have 6 McD AA's on this team.
SEC!

Hawg414

Quote from: MountieDawg on March 26, 2017, 08:57:18 pm
UNC was supposed to have one and dones but they were not coached up quick enough.  They have 6 McD AA's on this team.

they were coached up enough to beat your team tonight

code red

Obviously a tremendous defense does help.  Older players tend to play better defense.  I hope Mike is taking notes.
"If what you did yesterday seems big, you haven't done anything today."  Dr. Lou

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: TNhawgfan on March 26, 2017, 07:42:30 pm

He doesn't embrace it as much as tolerates it. He does what he thinks he needs to do to keep getting good players. He's smart enough to know that players will do anything as well now for $.
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

hogsanity

All 4 schools have done it the "traditional" way? What does that even mean anymore. Gonzaga has made a living out of transfers. SC has pretty much no basketball tradition at all.  The "traditional" way the last decade, at least, hs been to have one and dones.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

lefty08

Man, there are some pissed off Cal lovers on this site, it's funny to see them now
Re: So far the UC press conference is hilarious   Reply
Losing gracefully isn't taught in second-tier programs. See Arkansas, Cincinnati, et al.
3/21 8:11 PM | IP: Logged

Jackrabbit Hog

Quote from: hogsanity on March 27, 2017, 08:17:19 am
All 4 schools have done it the "traditional" way? What does that even mean anymore. Gonzaga has made a living out of transfers. SC has pretty much no basketball tradition at all.  The "traditional" way the last decade, at least, hs been to have one and dones.

Hence calling it "traditional."  Or you could call it the "historical" way. 

I don't care for North Carolina and I'm certainly no Roy Williams fan.  I think the ongoing academic scandal there is shameful and appalling.  BUT, one thing I do admire about them is their decision as a program to opt for players that will contribute to team continuity.  I saw in an article this morning that they haven't had a one-and-done since '07 or '08, which I find shocking considering all the talent they've had during that period.  Most years, not every year mind you, a talented experienced team will find a way to win over a talented inexperienced team.  Yesterday's game was exhibit A for that.
Quote from: JIMMY BOARFFETT on June 29, 2018, 03:47:07 pm
I'm sure it's nothing that a $500 retainer can't fix.  Contact JackRabbit Hog for payment instructions.

J-Five

UNC won by 2 points, at the buzzer...I don't think them having fewer one and dones was the deciding factor in that game.  Just my take. 
"If the person you're criticizing is doing it better than you are, close your mouth"

Jackrabbit Hog

Quote from: MountieDawg on March 26, 2017, 08:57:18 pm
UNC was supposed to have one and dones but they were not coached up quick enough.
Quote from: JIMMY BOARFFETT on June 29, 2018, 03:47:07 pm
I'm sure it's nothing that a $500 retainer can't fix.  Contact JackRabbit Hog for payment instructions.

Youngsta71701

Quote from: code red on March 27, 2017, 06:37:31 am
Obviously a tremendous defense does help.  Older players tend to play better defense.  I hope Mike is taking notes.
Uh, I'm confused. Do we have any one and done's?
"The more things change the more they stay the same"

jm

The officiating has favored the bigger/ stronger teams in the games that I have watched. It is one of the reasons SC has fared so well. Older players are just naturally stronger and weigh more. Officiating could spell the end of the one and done if they continue to call games like they have this week.