Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Is it possible.....

Started by cjack, October 03, 2017, 09:26:54 am

Previous topic - Next topic

cjack

that CBB is similar to Hedlund in this way.  He practices well, looks good on paper, was wanted at other programs, but freezes in pressure filled games?  This is not a bash on either person.  I've never called plays or kicked field goals in the SEC so I'm not pretending I can do better on the field.  I have questioned both from the stands and my couch. 
Woooo Pig Soooie!

Mo_Better_Hogs

MJ2

Quote from: cjack on October 03, 2017, 09:26:54 am
that CBB is similar to Hedlund in this way.  He practices well, looks good on paper, was wanted at other programs, but freezes in pressure filled games?  This is not a bash on either person.  I've never called plays or kicked field goals in the SEC so I'm not pretending I can do better on the field.  I have questioned both from the stands and my couch. 

Good comparison.   Probably fine people, but not "winners".

BigE_23

The phrase "he can't get out of his own way" seems appropriate on so many levels.

island hog

pretty weak... "it's not a bash on either person..."??  whatever.

BigE_23

Quote from: island hog on October 03, 2017, 04:17:12 pm
pretty weak... "it's not a bash on either person..."??  whatever.

"whatever."

What are you, 11? The OP clearly acknowledged that he/she realizes both jobs are difficult and that they couldn't do any better, but still you try to call them out and sound like a pre-teen girl in the process.

JaketheSnake

Therefore California high school football is on an equal playing field with the B10. 

Athog

island hog

Ok " sir "... is that better??  Maybe I've had enough of a new thread being starting over and over with such friggin negative overtones. You have to admit that it's gotten old....

Tusks

Quote from: island hog on October 03, 2017, 04:36:24 pm
Ok " sir "... is that better??  Maybe I've had enough of a new thread being starting over and over with such friggin negative overtones. You have to admit that it's gotten old....

Funny that's how I feel about BB.
sometimes it's a good and some times it's a schit

a0ashle

I bet this post sounded better when you practiced it.

cjack

I don't mind criticism for posts that don't kiss CBB's crown because I find those comical.  I don't practice any comment because I have other things to do in my real life that I find more important.  I did try to word my post to keep the sheep responses to a minimum so it wouldn't distract from real opinions about the topic. 
Woooo Pig Soooie!

sickboy

Everyone with a soul freezes up from time to time. It's the ones with no soul who don't. You know -- the machines: Saban, Belichick, Urban Meyer. Those are the Terminators. And winning is programmed in there by Cyberdyne.

The OTR

This is sure a new twist.  CBB is a choker now.  It would make more sense if he was on the field.  Or if he was being criticized for his clock management or something that directly caused us to lose rather than all of the things he is doing or not doing over the course of months or in this case years that may be causing us to lose.

We're two and two.  We need to start acting like we're two and two rather than 0 and four.

We have a decent chance to win six or seven games.  And nothing is going to change next year. 

Oklahawg

Quote from: Pillowhead Jackson on October 03, 2017, 07:16:22 pm
This is sure a new twist.  CBB is a choker now.  It would make more sense if he was on the field.  Or if he was being criticized for his clock management or something that directly caused us to lose rather than all of the things he is doing or not doing over the course of months or in this case years that may be causing us to lose.

We're two and two.  We need to start acting like we're two and two rather than 0 and four.

We have a decent chance to win six or seven games.  And nothing is going to change next year. 

And, there is a decent chance those two losses don't look so bad come December.
I am a Hog fan. I was long before my name was etched, twice, on the sidewalks on the Hill. I will be long after Sam Pittman and Eric Mussleman are coaches, and Hunter Yuracheck is AD. I am a Hog fan when we win, when we lose and when we don't play. I love hearing the UA band play the National Anthem on game day, but I sing along to the Alma Mater. I am a Hog fan.<br /><br />A liberal education is at the heart of a civil society, and at the heart of a liberal education is the act of teaching. - Bart Giamatti <br /><br />"It is a puzzling thing. The truth knocks on the door and you say, 'Go away, I'm looking for the truth,' and so it goes away. Puzzling." ― Robert M. Pirsig<br /><br />Love is the most important thing in the world, but baseball is pretty good, too.  – Yogi Berra

Oklahawg

I think there is a bit of merit in the comparison - CBB is willing to trust the process that produces well in practice, and expects it to work in games. He is not a believer in "this guy just isn't a practice player, but he is a gamer when the lights are on." I find that a crock also. So, when someone proves - day in and day out, over multiple seasons - to earn a chance but fails they give them a second chance. But, once the chances are exhausted you'll not see them again.

Hedlund.
BWallace.
I am a Hog fan. I was long before my name was etched, twice, on the sidewalks on the Hill. I will be long after Sam Pittman and Eric Mussleman are coaches, and Hunter Yuracheck is AD. I am a Hog fan when we win, when we lose and when we don't play. I love hearing the UA band play the National Anthem on game day, but I sing along to the Alma Mater. I am a Hog fan.<br /><br />A liberal education is at the heart of a civil society, and at the heart of a liberal education is the act of teaching. - Bart Giamatti <br /><br />"It is a puzzling thing. The truth knocks on the door and you say, 'Go away, I'm looking for the truth,' and so it goes away. Puzzling." ― Robert M. Pirsig<br /><br />Love is the most important thing in the world, but baseball is pretty good, too.  – Yogi Berra

From Tusk Till Dawn

I have a toddler not quite two, therefore i dont sleep alot and my tv is always on disney.  To escape disney i am usually reading something sports related on my phone.  Thought I'd join this site to have some healthy debates about razorback football to pass the time and drown out "Frozen" in the background.  I guess i just didnt realize that i might have found the largest bubble of negativity in the state.  It boggles my mind that some want to see the team do badly so we can fire our coach faster.  I get some of it, im frustrated with our conf record, i think we realistically should have been 9 wins or better the last 3 years, have always come up short in the big games etc.  But im also aware that we are not 3-9 or 4-8, and a laughing stock.  We have had 9 wins only 6 times in 25 years.  So i ask the question for all those that think bielema needs to go, what will your expectations be if hes gone.  How many seasons does the next guy have before he's labeled a choker and cant coach?  What is the expectation (seriously)?  Is it 9 wins by year 3 and then sustain that forever?

The OTR

Quote from: From Tusk Till Dawn on October 04, 2017, 04:53:36 am
I have a toddler not quite two, therefore i dont sleep alot and my tv is always on disney.  To escape disney i am usually reading something sports related on my phone.  Thought I'd join this site to have some healthy debates about razorback football to pass the time and drown out "Frozen" in the background.  I guess i just didnt realize that i might have found the largest bubble of negativity in the state.  It boggles my mind that some want to see the team do badly so we can fire our coach faster.  I get some of it, im frustrated with our conf record, i think we realistically should have been 9 wins or better the last 3 years, have always come up short in the big games etc.  But im also aware that we are not 3-9 or 4-8, and a laughing stock.  We have had 9 wins only 6 times in 25 years.  So i ask the question for all those that think bielema needs to go, what will your expectations be if hes gone.  How many seasons does the next guy have before he's labeled a choker and cant coach?  What is the expectation (seriously)?  Is it 9 wins by year 3 and then sustain that forever?

There's a lot of new posters here with under 100 posts. They come in with strong opinions and make a big splash, get beat up by the salty old guard, and never show up again.  Hogville needs to assign these new posters mentors.  I don't think I have time to be a good mentor but guys like Ponderin' or that darryl royal guy or certainly Delta seem to have time to do so. I'd like to see those guys work with some of these guys and get them up to speed.

From Tusk Till Dawn

Quote from: Pillowhead Jackson on October 04, 2017, 10:26:54 am
There's a lot of new posters here with under 100 posts. They come in with strong opinions and make a big splash, get beat up by the salty old guard, and never show up again.  Hogville needs to assign these new posters mentors.  I don't think I have time to be a good mentor but guys like Ponderin' or that darryl royal guy or certainly Delta seem to have time to do so. I'd like to see those guys work with some of these guys and get them up to speed.

I got a good chuckle out of that.  Thought it was from the barber shop scene from the movie hoosiers.

"Well, uh...
looks like you're gonna need a little help.
I've been running practices
the last couple of weeks.
I'll help you out till you get your feet wet.
This town doesn't like change,
so we thought we'd get together
and show you how we do things here."

You must be over a hundred posts (= intelligence??) maybe you could share your views on my question.  What's your expectatations for the season when he is gone.  Are you willing to step backwards to go forward and if so for how long?  If it doesnt work out is that guy a terrible hire too or do you think its something deeper?  Talk it over with the good ol' boys and let me know. 

I will start the education for you Tusk.  I of course am a little dumb and old so bear with me. Bret likes Power Football.  You need a very, very good offensive line to operate a successful Power Run Game.  Well, we don't have even a good offensive line, forget the 2 very, verys good.  Trying that in a Conference that does in most years have a stable full of pretty good offensive lines puts us in the lower tier of the SEC right there.  For some reason, I honestly cannot be absolutely sure why, we never start a season appearing to know what the hell we are doing.  Its usually about the 4th game before we heat up or whatever you might want to call it.  All season long, each year, our special teams are inferior to the norm in the SEC.  Our second team players never ever seem to have an opportunity to get in the game unless someone above them gets hurt.  I could go on and on but this really needs to come at you a small lesson at a time, no overload, you see.

To sum this up:  The theory that BB looks good on paper ends with the wrong scheme for the chosen conference if being successful is important.  The practice good part ends soon after you realize we don't get our second team ready nor do we have Special, special teams.  We go through assistants like paper napkins at a big fish fry.  Most of our players seem to not know the plays and positions of where they need to be until about halfway through the season.  So I would offer Bret doesn't practice well which assists in us not playing well.  THERE YOU HAVE IT FOR LESSON ONE.

From Tusk Till Dawn

Quote from: 12247 on October 04, 2017, 07:40:51 pm
I will start the education for you Tusk.  I of course am a little dumb and old so bear with me. Bret likes Power Football.  You need a very, very good offensive line to operate a successful Power Run Game.  Well, we don't have even a good offensive line, forget the 2 very, verys good.  Trying that in a Conference that does in most years have a stable full of pretty good offensive lines puts us in the lower tier of the SEC right there.  For some reason, I honestly cannot be absolutely sure why, we never start a season appearing to know what the hell we are doing.  Its usually about the 4th game before we heat up or whatever you might want to call it.  All season long, each year, our special teams are inferior to the norm in the SEC.  Our second team players never ever seem to have an opportunity to get in the game unless someone above them gets hurt.  I could go on and on but this really needs to come at you a small lesson at a time, no overload, you see.

To sum this up:  The theory that BB looks good on paper ends with the wrong scheme for the chosen conference if being successful is important.  The practice good part ends soon after you realize we don't get our second team ready nor do we have Special, special teams.  We go through assistants like paper napkins at a big fish fry.  Most of our players seem to not know the plays and positions of where they need to be until about halfway through the season.  So I would offer Bret doesn't practice well which assists in us not playing well.  THERE YOU HAVE IT FOR LESSON ONE.

Thanks for lesson one, I feel smarter (and sleepier) already.  Im on the edge of my seat for lesson two.  Seriously, I can agree with some of your points and disagree with others.  However, after all of that, what i think you forgot to throw in there was an answer to my question.  If he leaves, what are your expectations for the next guy and how long does he have to meet them? 

Given a choice, which I won't be, I would want an aggressive type coach that has fire in his belly, refuses to be denied, runs a scheme that is closer to likely to be successful in the SEC with the group of recruits we are likely to assemble and is a good manager.  A person of this nature is likely to give attention to detail, expect much of his assistants and players and gives of himself much and has leadership ability.  He would also be able to replace an assistant, mid-season if necessary, with himself.  And finally, he would be able to see clearly and if he was at fault, he would take the blame without excuses. 

For me there are two things I have no confidence in.  1.  That Bret can move our football program, ON AVERAGE, above what we now have.  2.  That AD Jeff Long, cannot choose the next coach and be successful other than by happenstance or outhouse luck.  And finally, I don't believe either Bret or Jeff would get very excited about winning ball games unless it directly effected either of their bottom lines.  Both realize that the University's bottom line could quickly effect their bottom lines so for that reason, winning matters.

The OTR

Quote from: 12247 on October 04, 2017, 10:43:39 pm
Given a choice, which I won't be, I would want an aggressive type coach that has fire in his belly, refuses to be denied, runs a scheme that is closer to likely to be successful in the SEC with the group of recruits we are likely to assemble and is a good manager.  A person of this nature is likely to give attention to detail, expect much of his assistants and players and gives of himself much and has leadership ability.  He would also be able to replace an assistant, mid-season if necessary, with himself.  And finally, he would be able to see clearly and if he was at fault, he would take the blame without excuses. 

For me there are two things I have no confidence in.  1.  That Bret can move our football program, ON AVERAGE, above what we now have.  2.  That AD Jeff Long, cannot choose the next coach and be successful other than by happenstance or outhouse luck.  And finally, I don't believe either Bret or Jeff would get very excited about winning ball games unless it directly effected either of their bottom lines.  Both realize that the University's bottom line could quickly effect their bottom lines so for that reason, winning matters.

That's a heck of a post.

rtr

Quote from: Oklahawg on October 04, 2017, 12:30:55 am
I think there is a bit of merit in the comparison - CBB is willing to trust the process that produces well in practice, and expects it to work in games. He is not a believer in "this guy just isn't a practice player, but he is a gamer when the lights are on." I find that a crock also. So, when someone proves - day in and day out, over multiple seasons - to earn a chance but fails they give them a second chance. But, once the chances are exhausted you'll not see them again.

Hedlund.
BWallace.

I for one think Hedland should kick the Hogs next FG attempt.  What is going on with Wallace? Something is not right here.
The more smites the more intelligent I get.

Jeff "hogfanintx" Anderson

October 04, 2017, 10:49:49 pm #24 Last Edit: October 04, 2017, 11:00:20 pm by Jeff "hogfanintx" Anderson

he's a blow hard no coaching suck up that rode Alvarez heritage.  you people that thought he xoyld.coach are crazy.
Let's make some waves.

Jeff "hogfanintx" Anderson

this
Let's make some waves.

rtr

This is my thinking as well.
The more smites the more intelligent I get.

From Tusk Till Dawn

Quote from: Pillowhead Jackson on October 04, 2017, 10:46:19 pm
That's a heck of a post.

I just wish it had anything to do with what i asked.  I can agree to some points with you guys but not all.  You two "old guard" that are mentoring me should maybe team up on the below:

"If he leaves, what are your expectations for the next guy and how long does he have to meet them?"

My answer:  I think we are better off if he stays, atleast until the buyout is more manageable.  I think there are too many potential vacancies for us to get a quality coach right now.  We will be a second tier choice for a really good coach just like you suggested we are for lineman.  If we keep him i believe we are good for 7-8 wins per year and i can live with that.  Like all fans i want more but im not disillusioned on what it takes to get there, and the negativity by some is deafening.  So if he gets fired, he gets fired, but be careful what you wish for.

From Tusk Till Dawn

Im particularly interested in wins/losses and for how long?

davglo35

Quote from: rtr on October 04, 2017, 10:48:10 pm
I for one think Hedland should kick the Hogs next FG attempt.  What is going on with Wallace? Something is not right here.
I totally agree. You have enough faith in the kid to make him the kicker but you lose any faith in him after a bad night. Hedlund needs to be encouraged and shown that he is not a loser.

Vantage 8 dude

Hey, I've been around long enough to know that virtually anything's possible.

PonderinHog

Quote from: From Tusk Till Dawn on October 04, 2017, 08:10:32 pm
Thanks for lesson one, I feel smarter (and sleepier) already.  Im on the edge of my seat for lesson two.  Seriously, I can agree with some of your points and disagree with others.  However, after all of that, what i think you forgot to throw in there was an answer to my question.  If he leaves, what are your expectations for the next guy and how long does he have to meet them?
Lessen too, i should be capitolized.

Vantage 8 dude

You've brought up an intriguing idea: maybe they can swap places. Ole Bret kicking off and Hedlund coaching 'em up.  ;)

Hoggish1