Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Paying Players

Started by PLHawg, September 28, 2017, 10:49:37 am

Previous topic - Next topic

sickboy

Lotta folks who don't understand basic business and economics up in here. Lordy.

hogfan10

Quote from: 311Hog on September 28, 2017, 04:17:26 pm
i don't think you understand what the big deal is with regards to the FBI investigation.

I will try and sum it up.

Asst. Coach types and others are in bed with Financial managers/business men, who are connected up with shoe company executive types.

The player is not the one starting this, but they are the ones being "bought".  Basically these people are looking for the patronage of a "can't miss" NBA prospect.  So that 5 star PG, ADIDAS wants him to sign with them after his 1 year in "college" is up so they float some cash to his Great Uncle through a manager of some kind communicating with an Assistant coach because they are watched "less" than a Head coach and paid less thus subject to being paid off themselves.

So 5 star PG gets 100 grand on the spot through channels set up to funnel it to him.  Goes to the college he was steared to that is affliated with the shoe company that had a part in getting him 100k richer are you following it now?

Basically these guys have set up a system of pay offs and kick backs to do nothing more than hire a basketball player to endorse their freaking product.

Why ? because there is money in it lots of it.

I'm not sure you understand, or possibly even read what I posted.

husker71

You guys act like this is something new. This argument has been going on for years.  The media and social outlets have changed as has the amount of money but the basic fact about players getting money has not changed.  Shoe companies have upped the ante to extreme levels.

rzrbackramsfan

Quote from: husker71 on September 28, 2017, 10:17:26 pm
You guys act like this is something new. This argument has been going on for years.  The media and social outlets have changed as has the amount of money but the basic fact about players getting money has not changed.  Shoe companies have upped the ante to extreme levels.

I, and I think a lot of fans, suspected it to be true, but am just psyched that the perpetrators are finally being punished.

311Hog

Quote from: hogfan10 on September 28, 2017, 09:45:45 pm
I'm not sure you understand, or possibly even read what I posted.

i am pretty sure i do and did.
You are one of those people that still believes the 5 star prospect should be bowing down and kissing the feet of any school willing to give his poor self free college tuition.  And believe that the experience of being a big time college athlete is sooooooo fun and good that they should just shut up and let people make money off of them.

Fact is these systems to pay and lure players came first, 5 star athlete didn't say give me 100 grand someone approached them offering cash to sway him because they know 100k is a drop in the bucket of what that 5 star kid will bring to an institution or a shoe company.

My point is if they are not willing to give the kid a cut, stop charging to go see the games, stop paying coaches millions of dollars, shut the NCAA down and the 100's of millionaire "administrators" that inhabit that building.

All of them are siphoning money from the fact their "talent/labor" pool is drastically underpaid.

LRHawg

Quote from: Hogs49ers on September 28, 2017, 03:57:27 pm
  The current system is basically set up to where that kind of shady activity thrives.

The NCAA are well aware of what they're doing and business is (was?) good.

hogfan10

Quote from: 311Hog on September 29, 2017, 08:57:33 am
i am pretty sure i do and did.
You are one of those people that still believes the 5 star prospect should be bowing down and kissing the feet of any school willing to give his poor self free college tuition.  And believe that the experience of being a big time college athlete is sooooooo fun and good that they should just shut up and let people make money off of them.

Fact is these systems to pay and lure players came first, 5 star athlete didn't say give me 100 grand someone approached them offering cash to sway him because they know 100k is a drop in the bucket of what that 5 star kid will bring to an institution or a shoe company.

My point is if they are not willing to give the kid a cut, stop charging to go see the games, stop paying coaches millions of dollars, shut the NCAA down and the 100's of millionaire "administrators" that inhabit that building.

All of them are siphoning money from the fact their "talent/labor" pool is drastically underpaid.

No, actually, you didn't understand. What I said was, regardless of whether they are paid (in excess of what they already are) or not, there will always be those that up the anti (cheat) to get the better players. I made no reference what so ever as to whether the chicken or the egg came first.

I could care less as to whether a 5* bows down to a university or not, but I do wish that the universities would stop bowing down to them. I personally think that all students attending a university should be able to meet that schools academic entrance requirements; being the same requirements for athletes and non-athletes. If an athlete can't meet the basic ACT/SAT/GPA entrance requirements to XYZ University/College that the average student must, then the athlete can not gain admittance into XYZ University/College. There should be an alternative route (what ever that may be) for the athletes that have no business or interest in being on a university/college campus.

311Hog

Quote from: hogfan10 on September 29, 2017, 09:51:20 am
No, actually, you didn't understand. What I said was, regardless of whether they are paid (in excess of what they already are) or not, there will always be those that up the anti (cheat) to get the better players. I made no reference what so ever as to whether the chicken or the egg came first.

I could care less as to whether a 5* bows down to a university or not, but I do wish that the universities would stop bowing down to them. I personally think that all students attending a university should be able to meet that schools academic entrance requirements; being the same requirements for athletes and non-athletes. If an athlete can't meet the basic ACT/SAT/GPA entrance requirements to XYZ University/College that the average student must, then the athlete can not gain admittance into XYZ University/College. There should be an alternative route (what ever that may be) for the athletes that have no business or interest in being on a university/college campus.

yes you are.  You are saying "why bother trying to pay these star athletes what they are worth? schools/people just going to cheat anyway".

It is a cop out.

You know we all know that people are making money hand over fist on the backs of people whom are the entire sport, with out basketball players there are no jersey's there are no games, there is no attendance etc. etc.  and they are tossed the bone of go to classes ? huh what  and don't forget all the mandatory work outs, practice, autograph signings, public appearances etc.

Then you come with the next "preach" moment basically saying that no star athlete can make the grades so the standards are lowered for them.  Of course they are for some of them because they are basketball players that is what they are, the schools are bending over backwards because they want that long green and they want that cheap as hell labor for the machine.

it is dishonesty all around, but only a few are benefiting from it sounds familiar.

hogfan10

Quote from: 311Hog on September 29, 2017, 10:00:17 am
yes you are.  You are saying "why bother trying to pay these star athletes what they are worth? schools/people just going to cheat anyway".

It is a cop out.

You know we all know that people are making money hand over fist on the backs of people whom are the entire sport, with out basketball players there are no jersey's there are no games, there is no attendance etc. etc.  and they are tossed the bone of go to classes ? huh what  and don't forget all the mandatory work outs, practice, autograph signings, public appearances etc.

Then you come with the next "preach" moment basically saying that no star athlete can make the grades so the standards are lowered for them.  Of course they are for some of them because they are basketball players that is what they are, the schools are bending over backwards because they want that long green and they want that cheap as hell labor for the machine.

it is dishonesty all around, but only a few are benefiting from it sounds familiar.

No dishonesty at all, I'd just assume that the entire NCAA go the Div III route, no schollies for athletics. Like I said; for the athletes not interested in getting a college degree, they can take a different route to the pros. And,  I don't for a second assume that all 5*'s can't/don't qualify academically to gain entrance into a university, I'm just saying that if they don't that there should not be exceptions made for them; 5,4,3,2,1*'s all included regardless of sport or talent (band/music, etc.).

No where have I said or insinuated that athletes should bow to the universities offering them an opportunity. If they don't like the system, don't participate in it.

PLHawg

How are most schools going to afford paying ALL their athletes, in addition to providing them scholarships? Most schools athletic departments already operate in the red, without having to add 20 million in players salaries to the mix.   In addition, would we have to institute a salary cap like in pro sports?  I can see Kentucky, Kansas, etc paying their bball players like $3 mil per year - hell, rookies in the NBA would be taking a paycut!  Don't think the huge disparity in pay for men athletes in football and basketball compared to women athletes isn't going to violate Title IX in the most egregious manner possible?  We can all moan and whine about how college ball players are so mistreated because they're not being paid what they're worth, but I can guarantee you I will lose not one wink of sleep feeling sorry for them.  How dare they only be provided a full ride scholarship, room & board, meals, clothes, monthly stipend, etc.  Paying players would truly open up Pandora's box and would be the absolute most mind-boggling cluster#&%@ imaginable.

311Hog

Quote from: hogfan10 on September 29, 2017, 10:29:39 am
No dishonesty at all, I'd just assume that the entire NCAA go the Div III route, no schollies for athletics. Like I said; for the athletes not interested in getting a college degree, they can take a different route to the pros. And,  I don't for a second assume that all 5*'s can't/don't qualify academically to gain entrance into a university, I'm just saying that if they don't that there should not be exceptions made for them; 5,4,3,2,1*'s all included regardless of sport or talent (band/music, etc.).

No where have I said or insinuated that athletes should bow to the universities offering them an opportunity. If they don't like the system, don't participate in it.

I just can't understand how people can only focus on this as if they are speaking from the athlete's point of view.

"if they dont like the system don't participate"

What part of Universities, bag men, shoe guys, AAU hawks beating down their doors with offers do you not understand?

THEY are the valuable resource, THEY are the oil well, the diamond, the bag of gold not the other way around.

The system likes them, it is the system that is broken.

The athlete has very little choice given how strong their position is in any "normal" supply and demand free market economy.

And the only choice they do have is where to go to school, what clothes to wear and there are 100 guys lining up to try and influence those choices for their benefit.

311Hog

Quote from: PLHawg on September 29, 2017, 10:32:12 am
How are most schools going to afford paying ALL their athletes, in addition to providing them scholarships? Most schools athletic departments already operate in the red, without having to add 20 million in players salaries to the mix.   In addition, would we have to institute a salary cap like in pro sports?  I can see Kentucky, Kansas, etc paying their bball players like $3 mil per year - hell, rookies in the NBA would be taking a paycut!  Don't think the huge disparity in pay for men athletes in football and basketball compared to women athletes isn't going to violate Title IX in the most egregious manner possible?  We can all moan and whine about how college ball players are so mistreated because they're not being paid what they're worth, but I can guarantee you I will lose not one wink of sleep feeling sorry for them.  How dare they only be provided a full ride scholarship, room & board, meals, clothes, monthly stipend, etc.  Paying players would truly open up Pandora's box and would be the absolute most mind-boggling cluster#&%@ imaginable.

so you like this welfare type set up right?

how do you feel about universal health care?

hogfan10

Quote from: PLHawg on September 29, 2017, 10:32:12 am

I think each school is allocated the same % of NCAA gross revenues (including all NCAA licensed apparel), with which they can allocate to each athlete how they see fit, but ALL athletes must receive some sort of minimum. There would be no maximum "payroll", as long as each athlete received the minimum and as long as the "payroll" does not exceed the allocation. Athletes in return pay for tuition/room/food/tutors/taxes/etc out of their cut. They can use any other academic scholarships/grants/etc to offset their out of pocket costs like any other non-athlete student. University revenues from ticket sales and donations would be used for coaches salaries and facilities upkeep.
Obviously it wouldn't be this simple, but some sort of plan with this basic setup.
Things that would have to be ironed out for example, would be how to set the minimum or uniform academic requirements for scholarships/grants/etc.

Either way, status quo or a new plan, the system would still be ripe for corruption.

hogfan10

Quote from: 311Hog on September 29, 2017, 10:54:52 am
so you like this welfare type set up right?

how do you feel about universal health care?

So you're saying welfare is inadequate, that somehow the recipients of welfare are not being paid what they are worth?

311Hog

Quote from: hogfan10 on September 29, 2017, 10:59:28 am
So you're saying welfare is inadequate, that somehow the recipients of welfare are not being paid what they are worth?

I am saying that it is welfare to take the millions that are earned based in large part due to star player X, and distribute them to pay for other sports that cannot sustain themselves on their own.

So it is ok for Player X that everyone knows is a star to toil in class making nothing for how ever many years while the school and everyone else rakes in the dollars and pays for all manner of things that have nothing to do with Player X, because eventually Player X will be able to reap some of that monetary benefit himself "once he is old enough".

It is ridiculous

Inhogswetrust

When you start paying players Moreso than what they get now then that will not stop unscrupulous boosters from still giving them more and especially won't atop from giving them money while recruiting them before they sign and start playing.
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

hogfan10

Quote from: 311Hog on September 29, 2017, 11:21:05 am
I am saying that it is welfare to take the millions that are earned based in large part due to star player X, and distribute them to pay for other sports that cannot sustain themselves on their own.

So it is ok for Player X that everyone knows is a star to toil in class making nothing for how ever many years while the school and everyone else rakes in the dollars and pays for all manner of things that have nothing to do with Player X, because eventually Player X will be able to reap some of that monetary benefit himself "once he is old enough".

It is ridiculous

For some reason you're not acknowledging that it is a CHOICE that player X is free to make or not make. It's the same choice that every other college student makes; is college worth the sacrifice in order to POTENTIALLY increase my future earnings. In your opinion the college is using player x for financial gains, BUT player x is also using the college for exposure/training/etc in hopes of future financial gains.

311Hog

Quote from: hogfan10 on September 29, 2017, 11:37:20 am
For some reason you're not acknowledging that it is a CHOICE that player X is free to make or not make. It's the same choice that every other college student makes; is college worth the sacrifice in order to POTENTIALLY increase my future earnings. In your opinion the college is using player x for financial gains, BUT player x is also using the college for exposure/training/etc in hopes of future financial gains.

These players got $100,000 before they even stepped foot on a campus and they need the college for what again?

Everyone of these players could make millions overseas but they don't want to, they want to stay here and be allowed to do what is "normally" done.  The only difference is the game has changed and the absurd amounts of cash that is being generated from them without them having any say or stake in it is at insanity levels.

At some point watch the thing crumble inequality of this measure cannot go on forever.

hogfan10

Quote from: 311Hog on September 29, 2017, 11:53:48 am
These players got $100,000 before they even stepped foot on a campus and they need the college for what again?

Everyone of these players could make millions overseas but they don't want to, they want to stay here and be allowed to do what is "normally" done.  The only difference is the game has changed and the absurd amounts of cash that is being generated from them without them having any say or stake in it is at insanity levels.

At some point watch the thing crumble inequality of this measure cannot go on forever.

If they don't need the college, then why are they going?
Everybody makes choices; can I make more money in a different city than where I currently live (yes), do I want to move in order to do that (no). See how that works? According to you, because I am smart (hypothetically) and want to be a doctor, I should already be paid like I am a doctor since I'll obviously be one someday (again hypothetically).

311Hog

Quote from: hogfan10 on September 29, 2017, 12:10:42 pm
If they don't need the college, then why are they going?
Everybody makes choices; can I make more money in a different city than where I currently live (yes), do I want to move in order to do that (no). See how that works? According to you, because I am smart (hypothetically) and want to be a doctor, I should already be paid like I am a doctor since I'll obviously be one someday (again hypothetically).

Umm because what else are they going to do?  you said these kids NEEDED colleges to give them exposure and to teach them how to play etc. etc.  Fact is they don't High school kids are on TV playing ball.  The powers that be know who kids are years before they even get to college.  Do kids make a name for themselves in college ? absolutely but it isn't as necessary as it once was.

they can't go to the NBA where their talent belongs
they could go overseas, but as we all know this is becoming more common but still weird thing for a kid to do especially if they have never left home
or do the college thing and hope you do not get hurt
or as is obvious by this conversation take some of that $$ under/around the table and make choices that might come back to bite you.

STLhawg

Paying players still means they all get the same $ or there will be some kind of limits -- so that will NOT stop someone from offering additional $ to attend a certain school.  Not sure why some people cannot fathom that!  What needs to change is kids need to be allowed to go directly to the NBA.  If that change is made and a kid decides to go to college to play basketball then he should be ineligible for the NBA draft for two years from the time he signs his LOI.

hogfan10

Quote from: 311Hog on September 29, 2017, 01:00:11 pm
Umm because what else are they going to do?  you said these kids NEEDED colleges to give them exposure and to teach them how to play etc. etc.  Fact is they don't High school kids are on TV playing ball.  The powers that be know who kids are years before they even get to college.  Do kids make a name for themselves in college ? absolutely but it isn't as necessary as it once was.

they can't go to the NBA where their talent belongs
they could go overseas, but as we all know this is becoming more common but still weird thing for a kid to do especially if they have never left home
or do the college thing and hope you do not get hurt
or as is obvious by this conversation take some of that $$ under/around the table and make choices that might come back to bite you.

Your argument is with the NBA. It's their rule to require an age limit/waiting period. That rule only affects a handful of athletes, and most years not even that.
If they don't want to go to college and "suffer", they can chose something else. What that is, I don't know; nor do I care.

GuvHog

Quote from: Hogs49ers on September 28, 2017, 12:33:44 pm
Well then pay them what they are actually worth, $5,000 is not enough.  It may not completely solve the issue, but I definitely think it will help. 

Read this from Jay Bilas, it really made sense to me:

"When have you ever heard of a coach being steered to an agent? When have you ever heard of bribes to get a coach to accept a job? When have you ever heard of a bribe to get an athletic director to switch schools? You don't hear such things because those people are allowed to be paid in a free market. It is an aboveboard business, and it works in an orderly fashion. There are contracts with contract remedies. That pesky free market works incredibly well and efficiently for everyone else; it is foolish to assert that it would not work just as well for college athletes. After all, these schools know exactly whom to recruit and whom to play the most minutes in the games. They know whom to pay and how much."

Jay is wrong. No matter how much the colleges pay the players, the bribes will still continue. Paying the players won't slow it down the least bit.
Bleeding Razorback Red Since Birth!!!

ShadowHawg

Scholarships aren't free. There is a literal exchange of money to pay for each scholarship. That money is brought in by football and basketball only.

Basically, football and basketball players earn the money that is then used to pay for their educations. The rest of the athletes at the school are the people being given a freebie.

I don't see anything wrong with an athletic scholarship being worth more than the the cost of room/board, books and tuition. Schools already give scholarships exactly like that to other students right now. Those can be used for transportation, health care, travel, etc

Most of these guys also qualify for government grants so these athletes can keep that as spending money.

I also don't understand why athletics can't be considered a form of work study. Again there are students being paid by schools right now in cash payments that may be spent on anything they choose. They are paid by the hour at varying rates above minimum wage. Why not athletes as well?

k.c.hawg

October 02, 2017, 08:13:33 am #74 Last Edit: October 02, 2017, 09:27:30 am by k.c.hawg
Please let the NBA expand the G league and take on all of the guys that don't think college pays enough for their talent. Let them go to Sioux Falls and ride a bus to go play in front of 400. It can be just like the minor leagues in baseball....the really talented can get several million to sign and have a quick ascent to the NBA, players that think they will be superstars can make $25 to $30k for how many ever years they can take the grind. They can stay at Motel 6, eat Church's Chicken and be professional ball players.

No more nightly exposure on national tv, no more playing in front of packed houses, no more charter jets, no more Hyatt Regency's, no more 5 star dining, no more $40m training facility, no more "grind" of being an abused student athlete. Please let college basketball get back to being guys that feel they are having the greatest time of their life playing college basketball, getting a free education, traveling first class, living a life of luxury. The truth is 90% of college basketball players at power 5 schools will never live, travel, eat as well as they do while in college playing basketball, at any other point in their life. Just give me the guys that are willing to take that deal and let the pros go be pros like they do in low A ball. If the actual game with these players can support such "enormous profits" without having the schools names, the schools facilities, the schools boosters.........let the G league fill up the television contracts, let the G league pack the arenas, let the G league be March Madness.

I'm sick of all the prima dona ####, sick of guys that don't value the education, the college experience, that don't understand they are auditioning in the very best situation they could ever be in whether it be for a basketball career or a job. The game sucks compared to 25 years ago and keeps getting worse. Give me 12 guys that love wearing a jersey that has Razorbacks on it and I will adjust to the talent level and enjoy watching good team basketball no matter what the level.
Just sitting on the deck with a cold beer and a hot tequila watching the razorbacks roam.

Kevin

Quote from: k.c.hawg on October 02, 2017, 08:13:33 am
Please let the NBA expand the G league and take on all of the guys that don't think college pays enough for their talent. Let them go to Sioux Falls and ride a bus to go play in front of 400. It can be just like the minor leagues in baseball....the really talented can get several million to sign and have a quick ascent to the NBA, players that think they will be superstars can make $25 to $30k for how many ever years they can take the grind. They can stay at Motel 6, eat Church's Chicken and be professional ball players.

No more nightly exposure on national tv, no more playing in front of packed houses, no more charter jets, no more Hyatt Regency's, no more 5 star dining, no more $40m training facility, no more "grind" of being an abused student athlete. Please let college basketball get back to being guys that feel they are having the greatest time of their life playing college basketball, getting a free education, traveling first class, living a life of luxury. The truth is 90% of college basketball players at power 5 schools will never live, travel, eat as well as they do while in college playing basketball at any other point in their life. Just give me the guys that are willing to take that deal and let the pros go be pros like they do in low A ball. If the actual game with these players can support such "enormous profits" without having the schools names, the schools facilities, the schools boosters.........let the G league fill up the television contracts, let the G league pack the arenas, let the G league be March Madness.

I'm sick of all the prima dona ####, sick of guys that don't value the education, the college experience, that don't understand they are auditioning in the very best situation they could ever be in whether it be for a basketball career or a job. The game sucks compared to 25 years ago and keeps getting worse. Give me 12 guys that love wearing a jersey that has Razorbacks on it and I will adjust to the talent level and enjoy watching good team basketball no matter what the level.

great post
Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you.<br />James 4:7
Reject Every Kind Of Evil 1 Thessalonians 5:22

ShadowHawg

No more nightly exposure on national tv, no more playing in front of packed houses, no more charter jets, no more Hyatt Regency's, no more 5 star dining, no more $40m training facility, no more "grind" of being an abused student athlete. Please let college basketball get back to being guys that feel they are having the greatest time of their life playing college basketball, getting a free education, traveling first class, living a life of luxury. The truth is 90% of college basketball players at power 5 schools will never live, travel, eat as well as they do while in college playing basketball, at any other point in their life. Just give me the guys that are willing to take that deal and let the pros go be pros like they do in low A ball. If the actual game with these players can support such "enormous profits" without having the schools names, the schools facilities, the schools boosters.........let the G league fill up the television contracts, let the G league pack the arenas, let the G league be March Madness.

Lol

Jealousy is a terrible thing. For you to be correct in your diatribe there would have to be no demand for the product these guys talents deliver. Just because you don't have that talent and never will doesn't justify you being so bitter and caling for the mistreatment of those who do.

The very fact that you care enough to come here and follow them while raving like a lunatic says there is some sort of demand for their talents or tens of millions in profits couldn't be raised around them. I don't care if they get paid or not but at least try to bring some rational thought to the discussion instead of hysterical emotion please.

Most of you just sound like ugly girls who are jealous of the pretty girls.

Truth is that NCAA basketball can be argued to be the second best league in the world in terms of talent and competition but you ugly girls try to equate it to Developmental A ball minor league baseball.

PLHawg

In a nutshell, couldn't have said it better.

k.c.hawg

Quote from: ShadowHawg on October 02, 2017, 11:39:18 am
Lol

Jealousy is a terrible thing. For you to be correct in your diatribe there would have to be no demand for the product these guys talents deliver. Just because you don't have that talent and never will doesn't justify you being so bitter and caling for the mistreatment of those who do.

The very fact that you care enough to come here and follow them while raving like a lunatic says there is some sort of demand for their talents or tens of millions in profits couldn't be raised around them. I don't care if they get paid or not but at least try to bring some rational thought to the discussion instead of hysterical emotion please.

Most of you just sound like ugly girls who are jealous of the pretty girls.

Truth is that NCAA basketball can be argued to be the second best league in the world in terms of talent and competition but you ugly girls try to equate it to Developmental A ball minor league baseball.

WTH are you talking about. If their talents drove the economics of the sport the f'ng NBA would have 3 layers of G league making the money. No one turns out to see G league teams that could kick any NCAA finalist ass.....because there is no passion by the fans!! Certainly the CBA would be a league rivaling the NBA to hear you tell it. School loyalty is what drives the economics. You see 10,000 people packed in an arena to see a #63 seed get announced for the tournament and you think the talent drives this game. You hope your college team is good but I have since listened and watched since 1972.
Just sitting on the deck with a cold beer and a hot tequila watching the razorbacks roam.

k.c.hawg

And just so you know, I've been a 23 year NFL season ticket holder, attend 40 + MLB games per year. Very happy those guys make the money they make. It is called professional sports. College sports are considered amature sports. If the players don't like the deal in college go play in China. Hopefully the NBA stops using the NCAA and does away with one and done.....if you want to be pissed off about the economics of sports, backlash NBA owners for refusing to pay guys that are good enough to play in the league.

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: BannerMountainMan on September 28, 2017, 04:19:56 pm
Stupidest idea ever for college players to get paid. THEY ARE GETTING EVERYTHING PAID FOR AND A CHANCE AT GETTING A GREAT JOB AFTER COLLEGE FOR FREE! Are u kidding me guys

Not exactly free since they work/train/practice/watch film/sit in meetings, etc. long hours for playing a sport.
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

ShadowHawg

Quote from: k.c.hawg on October 02, 2017, 12:41:40 pm
WTH are you talking about. If their talents drove the economics of the sport the f'ng NBA would have 3 layers of G league making the money. No one turns out to see G league teams that could kick any NCAA finalist ass.....because there is no passion by the fans!! Certainly the CBA would be a league rivaling the NBA to hear you tell it. School loyalty is what drives the economics. You see 10,000 people packed in an arena to see a #63 seed get announced for the tournament and you think the talent drives this game. You hope your college team is good but I have since listened and watched since 1972.

The highest number of future NBA players will be playing NCAA Div 1 this season. That's what I am talking about.

What are you talking about? School loyalty? I haven't noticed school loyalty at play in women's sports, track and field, golf, etc. If school loyalty were as valuable as you say it would be self evident in these other sports but these sports actually lose money much less profit the school tens of millions. School loyalty is not looking too valuable.

G league teams aren't very good either. You ever watch a game? The quality of play sucks because it's about player development above actual team level development in terms of winning. Again the NCAA will have more future pros than the G league. Your talent claim is bogus. Kentucky and Kansas combined have more high end NBA talent on their rosters than the entire g league combined. Your talent claim just isn't holding up.

There are now tons of pro leagues around the world paying decent money for ex NCAA players.

Also, since you believe NCAA basketball is an ameteur sport in the classic sense today same as 1972, please name the other amateur sports organizations not named college football whose members profit tens of millions of dollars each season.

discombobulationist

Please let the NBA expand the G league and take on all of the guys that don't think college pays enough for their talent. Let them go to Sioux Falls and ride a bus to go play in front of 400. It can be just like the minor leagues in baseball.....

Nailed it. The "pros" need to go pro. Everybody wins.
Quote from: Dwight_K_Shrute on September 05, 2014, 02:17:08 pm
ISIS could be overrunning your city and Rick would talk about how nice it is to have new neighbors.