Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Courtney Ramey

Started by GrizzlyRider07, September 27, 2017, 01:19:22 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

mizzouman

mizzouman

Quote from: azhog10 on September 28, 2017, 10:12:19 pm
Again had Romar not been fired they'd still be at Washington so the homesick thing doesn't fly. Also MPS has been pushing himself and kids for a long time trying to get a job. As I said this goes back long before any of his kids attended Mizzou.
If Romar was not fired, yes, they probably would still be in Washington.  But I'm not sure about that.  Again, you have to know the story behind all this.  There were STRONG feelings about coming back to Columbia regardless. 

But, since he was fired, it all worked out for them.  The decision was basically made when he got canned.

mizzouman

OK guys, I'm done with the Porter talk. 

Back to Ramey..

Apparently he is absolutely WIDE OPEN and will not sign early as of now.  Purdue is on him hard.  Local school, SLU isn't really in the picture.  He is listening to Mizzou but Mizzou doesn't have an open scholarship.  However, you know how this goes.  If a school wants someone, they will find room.

No rumblings about Arkansas yet for him but I'm sure MA will come calling.

Looks like he is looking for a good fit regardless.  Will be looking at which team needs point guards the most.  Mizzou has 3 of them now so he may just look elsewhere.

rzrbackramsfan

Quote from: mizzouman on September 29, 2017, 08:09:37 am
Potentially, yes.  He was prior to the boys being good, albeit on the women's team.  But who knows?

Lol.  Just a summary for anyone reading this, Mizzouman THINKS THE PORTERS DAD WOULD BE AN ASSISTANT AT MISSOURI EVEN IF HIS KIDS WERENT TOP NBA CALIBER PROSPECTS.  LOLOLOLOL

mizzouman

Quote from: rzrbackramsfan on September 29, 2017, 10:54:10 am
Lol.  Just a summary for anyone reading this, Mizzouman THINKS THE PORTERS DAD WOULD BE AN ASSISTANT AT MISSOURI EVEN IF HIS KIDS WERENT TOP NBA CALIBER PROSPECTS.  LOLOLOLOL
Lord, forgive this man for he knows not what he's saying.

Have a great day and weekend...and GO HOGS!!!!!

rzrbackramsfan

Quote from: mizzouman on September 29, 2017, 11:48:23 am
Lord, forgive this man for he knows not what he's saying.

Have a great day and weekend...and GO HOGS!!!!!

Delusional. 

tusksincolorado

Quote from: rzrbackramsfan on September 29, 2017, 12:18:42 pm
Delusional. 

He's a good soul....just hopeful that these issues, with FBI implications, will not involve his beloved program.
Screw it! I'm an old angry male, live with it!

rude1

Quote from: mizzouman on September 28, 2017, 03:39:22 pm
The Porters moved to Columbia when MPS (Michael Porter Sr.) sister in law (Robin Pingeton) got the head coaching job at Mizzou.  They may have moved there a year later.  Anyway, MPS became the assistant coach for the women's team and was for a few years.  Two daughters currently play for the women's team.  They consider Columbia home.

Now, when MPS got the assistant job at Washington, they all packed up and moved.  This was last year.

Now, mama Porter did not like Seattle.  In fact, was flying back and forth between there and Columbia A LOT and just wanted to move back.

Pingeton kept telling AD Sterk that the Porters wanted to move back to Columbia. 

The firing of Romar made the move back much easier.

Now, since Mizzou had a coaching change and Martin was looking for assistance and MPS was out of a job, that we just a perfect scenario for MPS to because asst at Mizzou.  They were going to live in Columbia regardless.  It just worked out, a perfect storm.

There's much, much more to it, but that's it I a nutshell.

The Porter family has 2 playing for the men's team and 2 playing for the women's, although, the oldest may not play this year due to another injury.  She's had a lot of knee issues.

So, it's not like there's no connection or anything like that.  This is not like the Larry Brown/Ed Manning deal where Brown hired Danny Manning's dad to get Danny and the dad never even coached basketball in his life.

http://www.columbiatribune.com/sports/20170502/porter-family-reunion-in-columbia-portends-well-for-tigers

Let me sum this up for you, no need to be that extensive: The Porter kids were going to play for whomever gave daddy a job, rather it been in Washington, Mo., or any other program that was going to hire daddy.

rzrbackramsfan

Quote from: tusksincolorado on September 29, 2017, 07:31:06 pm
He's a good soul....just hopeful that these issues, with FBI implications, will not involve his beloved program.

Agreed and I don't think they will because it's legal to hire someone's dad to the staff to get his kids. 

Cuonzo at cal on the other hand...

East TN HAWG

Quote from: rude1 on September 29, 2017, 07:46:28 pm
Let me sum this up for you, no need to be that extensive: The Porter kids were going to play for whomever gave daddy a job, rather it been in Washington, Mo., or any other program that was going to hire daddy.

Like the Watkins or the Allens?

orgkeith

Watkins and Allen had been at ARK for years.

East TN HAWG

Yes, but we also hired Gus to get the Springdale boys.  I'm not a MO fan, but it makes no sense to critize them when we have done the exact same thing.

ShadowHawg

MakingPlays

Quote from: East TN HAWG on September 30, 2017, 11:12:52 am
Yes, but we also hired Gus to get the Springdale boys.  I'm not a MO fan, but it makes no sense to critize them when we have done the exact same thing.

And look how that situation ended.  Never a good idea to make a hire solely based on getting somebody's kid.  It almost never works out and ends very badly.  The Gus situation you mentioned is a good example and the Lawson's at Memphis is another good example.  And that's exactly what is happening here at Mizzou, I don't know how anybody tries to put together a legit argument trying to act as if the Porter's Dad would be an assistant at Mizzou right now if not for his kids. 

ShadowHawg

Quote from: East TN HAWG on September 30, 2017, 11:12:52 am

Not the same at all. Malzahn had turned down an actual job offer to join the staff years prior. Malzahn had turned down other collegiate opportunities beyond Arkansas. Nutt was forced to hire an OC to prolong his job whether it was Malzahn or someone else. Malzahn is a record setter and national championship winning offensive coordinator and current head coach of a nationally ranked team at destination job sec power.

Wasn't a package deal either. 1 was already committed here, 1 was uncommitted, and 2 were committed to Florida. A 5th went to Notre Dame.

The Porter brothers have never been committed anywhere their pop didn't already have a job. The father has never had a job where his kids weren't in the program in some manner. Committed players are actually considered part of a program according to NCAA guidelines.

I must have missed the part where Daddy Porter was considered some sort of innovator in the game of basketball.

East TN HAWG

It is the same.  Hiring Gus was all about getting MM to the hill.  At that time, he was the number one recruit.  Without Gus, MM goes somewhere else. 

ShadowHawg

Quote from: East TN HAWG on September 30, 2017, 07:35:51 pm
It is the same.  Hiring Gus was all about getting MM to the hill.  At that time, he was the number one recruit.  Without Gus, MM goes somewhere else.

Wrong. The oc opening had nothing to do with Gus. Gus had been offered a job before and turned it down. Gus was the guy the ptb wanted for oc. That he could bring MM was a bonus.

Hiring Gus was about deflecting criticism from Nutt for calling his own plays, first, foremost. Nutt didn't even want Mustain but had a commitment from him earlier than the Gus hire until Mustain decommitted. Without Gus, Mustain was useless to Nutt. Gus was the target, Mustain was the tag along.

The Porter sons are the target and the pop is the tag along. Completely different dynamics.

Big Nasty 34

Guys, give it a break. MPS would be a legit college assistant regardless of his kids talents. Just look at his resume http://www.mutigers.com/coaches.aspx?rc=927
His experience coaching upward basketball really prepared him for D1 basketball.

The Hogfather

Quote from: Big Nasty 34 on October 01, 2017, 10:45:19 am
Guys, give it a break. MPS would be a legit college assistant regardless of his kids talents. Just look at his resume http://www.mutigers.com/coaches.aspx?rc=927
His experience coaching upward basketball really prepared him for D1 basketball.

Legit

runner645

Quote from: Big Nasty 34 on October 01, 2017, 10:45:19 am
Upward Basketball!   LMAO  Great Post!

mizzouman

Quote from: orgkeith on September 30, 2017, 09:36:21 am
Watkins and Allen had been at ARK for years.
And the Porters just happened to show up in Columbia?

FineAsSwine

Quote from: mizzouman on October 02, 2017, 09:45:03 am
And the Porters just happened to show up in Columbia?

It is beyond stupid to even bring up Watkins in this conversation because his dad had been a head coach and has been coaching D1 for decades prior to his son becoming a walk on at University of Arkansas. I mean what could be scandalous about that the kid didn't even get a scholarship and his dad was a assistant coach.
Hogs up! Covid down!

The Hogfather

Quote from: FineAsSwine on October 02, 2017, 10:03:16 am
It is beyond stupid to even bring up Watkins in this conversation because his dad had been a head coach and has been coaching D1 for decades prior to his son becoming a walk on at University of Arkansas. I mean what could be scandalous about that the kid didn't even get a scholarship and his dad was a assistant coach.

Well, Porter had extensive experience at Updown Academy.  Clearly qualified.

mizzouman

Quote from: FineAsSwine on October 02, 2017, 10:03:16 am
It is beyond stupid to even bring up Watkins in this conversation because his dad had been a head coach and has been coaching D1 for decades prior to his son becoming a walk on at University of Arkansas. I mean what could be scandalous about that the kid didn’t even get a scholarship and his dad was a assistant coach.
Who said anything about Watkins?  I surely didn't.

mizzouman

Quote from: The Hogfather on October 02, 2017, 10:05:49 am
Well, Porter had extensive experience at Updown Academy.  Clearly qualified.
I know you don't know anything about this situation so you are forgiven for your sarcasm.

navyhog24

Quote from: mizzouman on October 02, 2017, 11:59:05 am
I know you don't know anything about this situation so you are forgiven for your sarcasm.

Richard Davenport

FWIW, Arkansas isn't involved here.