Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

When Hogan and Cena were in the ring together...

Started by Hogwop, March 12, 2014, 02:49:15 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Hogwop

Pigga what?!
Quote from: PonderinHog on April 16, 2018, 10:27:02 amAn emoji is worth a hundred words.
9-07-1958 - 12-2-2011 R.I.P Mom, I will always miss you and love you.

Richard_white

The guy that the WWE has pushed down our throats for 9 years cant even get over rubbing off of Hulk.

The Cena pajama wearing era should be over. 

Big Papa Satan

Eddie Goodson

Cena is and will be the face of the WWE for several more years. It will not change. I firmly believe Roman Reigns will take his place eventually.
"I already won the lottery. I was born in the US of A, baby. And as backup, I have a Swiss passport." — Creed Bratton

kingofdequeen

Hulk is the man.

Quote from: Uncle Ivan on March 12, 2014, 07:36:01 pm
Two icons....about seven moves combined.

and ideas like this killed wrestling.  no one wants to see juventud guerrero or chris benoit.  they want to see Diesel vs. Undertaker - two huge cartoon characters. 

smh. 

porkulus

Hogwop

Quote from: kingofdequeen on March 13, 2014, 10:39:24 am
Hulk is the man.

I'll give the Hulkster this: He certainly knows how to work a crowd and he has a ton of charisma.
Pigga what?!
Quote from: PonderinHog on April 16, 2018, 10:27:02 amAn emoji is worth a hundred words.

kingofdequeen

Quote from: Hogwop on March 13, 2014, 02:42:58 pm
I'll give the Hulkster this: He certainly knows how to work a crowd and he has a ton of charisma.

and if fans were interested in pure sport, rulan gardner would have his posters on kids' walls.

the mic is where it's at...it's a show...fans dont wanna see normal sized dudes showing their ring prowess.  they want the male equivalent of tits and fire.

Hogwop

Quote from: kingofdequeen on March 13, 2014, 02:47:55 pm
and if fans were interested in pure sport, rulan gardner would have his posters on kids' walls.

the mic is where it's at...it's a show...fans dont wanna see normal sized dudes showing their ring prowess.  they want the male equivalent of tits and fire.

If you're talking the average viewer, then yeah, but if this were really the case how do you explain the Yes Movement? Or the Summer of Punk?
Pigga what?!

hvsupastar

Look people can hate on Hogan but putting him in the same category as Cena is crazy. Hogan can take credit for two of the biggest eras in wrestling, the original wrestlemania Era and the nwo would not have happened without the hulkster. Cena has been on top in what has been the longest down Era of wrestling in my lifetime.
"Do not believe everything you read on the internet just because it has quotations next to the image of someone prominent" - Abraham Lincoln

kingofdequeen

Quote from: Hogwop on March 13, 2014, 03:00:59 pm
If you're talking the average viewer, then yeah, but if this were really the case how do you explain the Yes Movement? Or the Summer of Punk?

who?

i quit paying attention right about the time Benoit was a world heavyweight champion.

Richard_white

husker71

just listen and watch the crowd when eithers music first start   The crowd goes nuts    not Austin or Rock crazy  but still crazy

Eddie Goodson

Austin, Rock, and Hulk stand alone as the top three alltime. Cena is in the group alongside Flair, Taker, Michaels, et al.
"I already won the lottery. I was born in the US of A, baby. And as backup, I have a Swiss passport." — Creed Bratton

kingofdequeen

Quote from: Eddie Goodson on March 13, 2014, 08:31:47 pm
Austin, Rock, and Hulk stand alone as the top three alltime. Cena is in the group alongside Flair, Taker, Michaels, et al.

flair and michaels are so much better than those other chumps its laughable.

no way in hell are either austin or rock better than flair.  ZEEE ROW.

kingofdequeen

austin became stone cold b/c he couldn't cut it as a ric flair wannabe.

nature boy.  WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO.

hvsupastar

We are talking in terms of being a superstar not just a talent. Shawn Michaels is in a league of his own in terms of talent. Flair is probably 2nd or 3rd. But Stone Cold Steve Austin sold more PPVs and Merchandise in one year than Flair did his entire career
"Do not believe everything you read on the internet just because it has quotations next to the image of someone prominent" - Abraham Lincoln

TomasPistola

If there was a Wrestling Mount Rushmore, it would contain: Andre, Hulk, Austin, and The Rock - Not based on talent necessarily, but in tickets sold.
Quote from: Hog Momster on January 06, 2011, 09:45:30 pm
You were right.
Quote from: Breems on April 28, 2011, 05:58:14 pm
You did a great job.
Quote from: Verge on June 22, 2011, 08:44:20 am
If you have some form of mental retardation i will stop making fun of you, just want to clarify this first.

kingofdequeen

Quote from: hvsupastar on March 13, 2014, 09:18:19 pm
We are talking in terms of being a superstar not just a talent. Shawn Michaels is in a league of his own in terms of talent. Flair is probably 2nd or 3rd. But Stone Cold Steve Austin sold more PPVs and Merchandise in one year than Flair did his entire career

nsync sold way more albums than pearl jam or nirvana.

Hogwop

Quote from: TomasPistola on March 13, 2014, 09:20:55 pm
If there was a Wrestling Mount Rushmore, it would contain: Andre, Hulk, Austin, and The Rock - Not based on talent necessarily, but in tickets sold.

Definitely
Pigga what?!

TomasPistola

Quote from: Hog Momster on January 06, 2011, 09:45:30 pm
You were right.
Quote from: Breems on April 28, 2011, 05:58:14 pm
You did a great job.
Quote from: Verge on June 22, 2011, 08:44:20 am
If you have some form of mental retardation i will stop making fun of you, just want to clarify this first.

hvsupastar

Quote from: kingofdequeen on March 13, 2014, 09:22:43 pm
nsync sold way more albums than pearl jam or nirvana.

Yep. And Justin Timberlake transcended music

Eddie Goodson

Yes. Absolutely right.

Richard_white

True. I believe Austin has sold more than any other WWE superstar. 

Austin as far as tickets, merchandise and revolutionized wrestling is in a league of his own. 

Cena?  Good heavens.  He belongs in the Ultimate Warrior and Lex Luger school of wrestling.

Big Papa Satan

Quote from: Richard_white on March 13, 2014, 04:01:56 pm
Cena is more of a Lex Luger than Hulk. 

Luger with mic skills.

Who pops with Cena comes out?  Mostly kids.  He'd be mid-carder at best fifteen years ago.

Hogwop

Quote from: Uncle Ivan on March 13, 2014, 10:15:47 pm
Luger with mic skills.

Who pops with Cena comes out?  Mostly kids.  He'd be mid-carder at best fifteen years ago.

Half of the "pop" Cena gets is people booing or screaming "Cena sucks!"
Pigga what?!

Eddie Goodson

Report I read a couple days ago supposedly leaked from WWE says that the top stars for the next year are
1. Cena
2. Bryan
3. Orton
4. Sheamus
5. Reigns

Cena is the top draw in the company and no amount of our whining about it will change it. Whether I like him or not is immaterial. A huge section of the WWE audience does and until that changes, he will be the top guy and he is absolutely the top guy for the last 5 to 7 years. It is what it is. I will not let my dislike for him cloud sound judgment. He is rock solid on a mic and he does a good job building anticipation for PPVS. We cannot forget that match results are on Vince and less on Cena. It is Vince who has him kicking out of everyone's finishers. He is doing what Vince tells him to do. Vince is convinced Cena is the guy and he will be the guy until Vince changes his mind.

Big Papa Satan

Until Cena is de-emphasized, the business will never experience a resurgence.

PorkRinds

My only knowledge of Cena is seeing that pic of his elbow blown up like a soccer ball.

Eddie Goodson

I disagree Ivan. Had it not been for Cena, the PG era would have been a disaster for WWE. Those millions of kids he has drawn has saved their bacon.

hvsupastar

Cena has had a lot better matches than Luger or Warrior.

Richard_white

Quote from: Uncle Ivan on March 14, 2014, 09:03:15 am
Until Cena is de-emphasized, the business will never experience a resurgence.

WWE or for any matter, "entertainment bizzness" will never flourish again.  1997-2000 monday night war was once in a lifetime. 

As far as Cena, he's the best and worst thing to happen for WWE and wrestling.

Hogwop

Quote from: hvsupastar on March 14, 2014, 12:59:34 pm
Cena has had a lot better matches than Luger or Warrior.

That's the thing, the guy can put on a decent match, and he isn't that bad on the mic, but he isn't great at either. At least Hogan can talk circles around people. All this talk on RAW about DB being a B+ player...if there ever was a B+ player it's Cena. He would have been wrasslin' Al Snow and Gangrel if he was around in the 90s.
Pigga what?!

DeltaBoy

It will never be a good as it was in the 1980's when it was all regional.
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

Eddie Goodson

Watching the vintage shows has reminded me of just how bad the wrestling itself was in the ring. We reminisce about how good it was but the truth is the wrestling part consisted of a few arm bars and a bunch of head locks so fat out of shape guys wouldn't drop dead of a heart attack. We were feed doses of Dino Bravo, Don Muraco, Greg Valentine, and several others who were out of shape for the pro bowling tour. You'll never make me believe it was better then than it has been the last 15 years. The in ring ability of wrestlers today is not even on the same planet with the wrestlers of the 80s.

There were great characters then, I'll agree with that. For the most part, our fascination for that time is linked to the innocence of youth and the belief of what we were seeing was real. The internet killed that for us all forever. Getting to see them in small towns made them personal for us and we were more emotionally invested. Going to the big arenas killed that.

When Vince made the deliberate move toward wrestlers who were in shape, it changed the business forever. Heck, the managers these days are in better shape than many of the wrestlers back then.

fantana

Quote from: Eddie Goodson on March 17, 2014, 01:33:09 pm
Watching the vintage shows has reminded me of just how bad the wrestling itself was in the ring. We reminisce about how good it was but the truth is the wrestling part consisted of a few arm bars and a bunch of head locks so fat out of shape guys wouldn't drop dead of a heart attack. We were feed doses of Dino Bravo, Don Muraco, Greg Valentine, and several others who were out of shape for the pro bowling tour. You'll never make me believe it was better then than it has been the last 15 years. The in ring ability of wrestlers today is not even on the same planet with the wrestlers of the 80s.

There were great characters then, I'll agree with that. For the most part, our fascination for that time is linked to the innocence of youth and the belief of what we were seeing was real. The internet killed that for us all forever. Getting to see them in small towns made them personal for us and we were more emotionally invested. Going to the big arenas killed that.

When Vince made the deliberate move toward wrestlers who were in shape, it changed the business forever. Heck, the managers these days are in better shape than many of the wrestlers back then.

DeltaBoy

What we had Lawyer with the Pile Driver , the figure 4 leg lock by Dory Funk,  the Oklahoma Stamped by Bill Watts, The Thump by JYD,  The DDT by Jack the Snake Roberts.  And the Brain Buster by Killer Karl Kox. and we had Barb wire and Strap matches.
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

Hogwop

Good post Eddie, I think you hit the nail on the head. I definitely get where DB is coming from though. The wrasslin' territories let more than one guy be on top and the cross promotions were huge.
Pigga what?!

kingofdequeen

can't get with people talking bad about the Hammer.

BigSexyHog

Lebron raised money for kids... Rotnei stole crap from the equipment room

hvsupastar

I think Vince turning to better wrestlers was the Era of Michaels-Hart with role players like Goldust, Owen, Scott Hall etc. Who are all great workers in their own right. But the interesting thing was I'm not sure that was so much planned. I think the plan was for the Warrior to be the next 10 years of champion like Hulk was but when he started skipping town and Hogan retired there wasn't really anyone to turn to but Brett Hart. And the rest is history.

Big Papa Satan

Quote from: hvsupastar on March 21, 2014, 12:46:04 am
I think Vince turning to better wrestlers was the Era of Michaels-Hart with role players like Goldust, Owen, Scott Hall etc. Who are all great workers in their own right. But the interesting thing was I'm not sure that was so much planned. I think the plan was for the Warrior to be the next 10 years of champion like Hulk was but when he started skipping town and Hogan retired there wasn't really anyone to turn to but Brett Hart. And the rest is history.

A big part of the shift to smaller guys was the steroid trial.  Afterwards, Vince did start to emphasize smaller guys like Bret, Shawn, Owen, etc.

After all, it wouldn't have been good coming off that and your top guy in the company looks like this