Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

"I'm the best in the game," says Simeon Rice

Started by GrizzledHogFan, August 04, 2006, 02:28:14 am

Previous topic - Next topic

GrizzledHogFan

Associated Press

LAKE BUENA VISTA, Fla. (AP) - An entertaining Simeon Rice held court for more than 20 minutes, reiterating his belief that he doesn't get his just due for being one of the NFL's best pass rushers.

"You know what irritates me? ... If you're going to have Defensive Player of the Year awards and not even mention me," the Tampa Bay star said Thursday. "Not even a mention."

The three-time Pro Bowl selection is heading into his 11th season with 119 career sacks, second among active players behind Michael Strahan's 129 1/2. Rice's 56 1/2 over the past four years are tops in the league, and his career average of 11.9 per season ranks first.

Impressive statistics or not, however, Rice is better known for being a free spirit whose nonchalant demeanor is often mistaken for indifference.

"Camouflage wearing, boxing shoes wearing, throwback jerseys, you know what I mean?" he said. "My own speak, my own way of doing things. Sometimes I'm right. Sometimes I might be a little wrong. Little off-beat."

Rice was once sent packing from the Pro Bowl because of a run-in with Philadelphia Eagles coach Andy Reid. He ruffled feathers two years ago when he said a lack of discipline under Jon Gruden was hurting the Bucs, then last season was sent home from San Francisco before a game for missing a team meeting.

The Rice the public doesn't see is a tireless worker who trains relentlessly in the offseason, remains at the Bucs training facility for hours after practice, and who eagerly takes young players under his wing to help them develop their skills.

The 32-year-old defensive end has posted 10 or more sacks in eight of 10 pro seasons, including all five he's played in Tampa Bay. He said a player doesn't have that kind of success without being committed to the game.

"Right now, I'm in the likes of the great ones of this game. ... It's not by default, either. I worked for that," Rice said.

"Cats around the league, I respect them. They're great players, but they are not me. Year in and year out, Michael Strahan is a great player. There's no disrespect to Mike. ... I give him the ultimate, ultimate love. But he's still not me."

Rice's claim that he doesn't receive the attention he deserves is not new. It comes up every training camp and again late in the year when he's wrapping up another season with double-digit sacks.

Although he talks freely and without any hint of bitterness, Rice said he's grown weary of trying to win over critics who dismiss his accomplishments because they don't care for his lip and style.

"I'm the best in the game. They don't want to respect it. They don't like it. ... But I'm what Bruce Smith and Reggie White passed the torch to," Rice said.

"At this point in my career, I don't necessarily play for pats on my back. I play to cement things. I play to cement my name in this game forever. I play to help this team get to a Super Bowl. That's what gets me going."

http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/5843602
Do not let what you cannot do interfere with what you can do.