Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

*Official* "Todd McShay was right" thread

Started by big_ol_meat, April 29, 2011, 08:17:43 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Nipsey Mussle

Quote from: The Hogfather on April 29, 2011, 09:50:15 am
He'll be the Marino of this draft.

He has a much better chance to be the next Brady than the 4 QBs taken in the 1st round.  That's for damn sure.

And my thoughts have nothing to do with him being a Hog and me being a Hog fan.  Go look at some of the polls of people from around the country on who they think will be the best QB from this draft.  They consistently picked Mallett.
Wow I guess you know more than  these highly paid nfl execs. Why aren't they paying you millions to evaluate the talent? Oh that's right, b/c you just think you know more.

DukeOfPork

Quote from: Hawg Balling on April 29, 2011, 09:53:57 am
What?

I'm no fan of the guys either, but McShay and Kiper both said Mallett wouldn't be a first round pick and their prognostication turned out to be accurate.  It doesn't mean their batting average is that great, but they got it right on Mallett with regard to the first round when most on this board were way off.

First of all, I hate McShay.

But as I TRIED to tell people on this board, Kiper & McShay would not be saying what they were saying if they weren't being told by NFL people that Ryan's stock was dropping. 

Too many people on this board choose to be ignorant.  Objectivity is a scarce commodity at Hogville.

big_ol_meat

Quote from: BleedsRazorbackRed on April 29, 2011, 10:16:24 am
I will continue with how much I sometimes hate to read some of the idiotic posts by some of the most biased, unrational, unlogical people I have ever witnessed.  This site is awesome because I am and will always be a Hog fan, but at the same time alot of you folks make it quite embarrassing to admit I am a hogville member/reader. 
This was the exact reason for me making this post.  I no longer get mad when I hear people out of state making from of Arkansans.  For the most part the stereo types are true.  Too many biased people have the "us vs the world" mentality.  Step out of the box a bit people.
To all the virgins, thanks for nothing.

The Hogfather

Quote from: helmuthjr21 on April 29, 2011, 10:21:23 am
Wow I guess you know more than  these highly paid nfl execs. Why aren't they paying you millions to evaluate the talent? Oh that's right, b/c you just think you know more.

Just hide and watch.  Just because they are GMs doesn't mean they are right.  Just look at a couple of the most successful QBs of all time and the other QBs taken ahead of them in their drafts, Tom Brady and Dan Marino.

Mallett's game is almost a mirror image of those two.

big_ol_meat

It's always going to be a gamble every time you draft someone.  All sports are that way.  It's easy for us to sit here and say "Mallett,woot +1" but would you bet 30 million dollars on him being successful when you have over 10,000 players to choose from?

DukeOfPork

Quote from: big_ol_meat on April 29, 2011, 10:30:57 am
This was the exact reason for me making this post.  I no longer get mad when I hear people out of state making from of Arkansans.  For the most part the stereo types are true.  Too many biased people have the "us vs the world" mentality.  Step out of the box a bit people.

That is exactly why I am debating this.  I am sick of our fan base living up to our reputation as being delusional and having a persecution complex.

Jack The BN

Looks like the smear campaign worked like a charm.
I am fully cooperating with this investigation and looking forward to clearing my name

Craig O Squeal

I was watching on NFL Network, and Mayock kept spewing about "character issues" with RM. Then Robert Quinn and Jimmy Smith got drafted. Both, in his words, had character issues but they were good picks. Especially if they were drafted to a high character locker room (like the Ravens...his words, not mine). So, why wouldn't the same logic apply to RM? They all agreed he had the God-given ability, and would be a great QB in the league, but his "character issues" were a huge red flag. AJ Green was suspended by the NCAA, did he have character issues? What did RM do? Did he kill someone in Vegas? Was he on the grassy knoll? Does he smoke doobies with Bin Laden? WTH is his character issue?

Then Mayock makes the comment to Rich Eisen that, you want to have "High Character Issues" not "Character Issues." Looks at Micheal Irvin and gives him a fist bump. Didn't Irvin get busted for cocaine? Isn't that a "character issue"?

The Hogfather

Quote from: bradmurray147 on April 29, 2011, 10:51:20 am
There you go again. Comparing him to two all time greats. Really, you need some help with you professed Mallett love. He shouldn't even be in the same breath as those two, much less a Bradford, Manning or Matt Ryan. He hasn't earned the respect that those guys have. Breaking records, playing at a high level on multiple levels. Not choking when the games on the line. Yes, he was a great Hog. Won games for the program. You just can't let that cloud your judgement. Heck, Josh Heupel won a NC at OU, Nate Hybl and Paul Thompson won Big 12 titles and had similar stats to RM. Where are they now? Hybl is a lawyer(he had a cannon for an arm and was very accurate) and Thompson is radio talk show host in Tulsa. Point being, is you don't have to be a top round draft choice to carry a college football program. There are many QB's out there that had fantastic stats in college and didn't make it in the pros.

Stop being a dumbass.  I said his game is a mirror image of those two and it is.  Whether or not he becomes great like they are/were depends on his situation and what he puts into it.  I think he'll be great, but it isn't a sure thing.

jamie72921

Quote from: hogsanity on April 29, 2011, 09:56:26 am
He may turn out to be Starr, Unitas, Namath, Staubach, and Elway all rolled into one, BUT to think that NFL Gm's are basing their choices on Todd Mcshay is absurd.  The NFl Gm's all found reasons not to take him in the 1st round.

McShay is getting his info from sources close to these GM's. It is not the other way around.
Bless your heart

The Hogfather

Quote from: bradmurray147 on April 29, 2011, 10:42:40 am
You are the biggest homer on here. It's almost like you have on a man crush on mallett how hard you're defending him. Don't go comparing Mallett's draft to Marino or Brady. He hasn't earned that type of comparison. Those owners and GM's that you think are idiots and you can do much better than know a whole hell of a lot more than you. Promise you that. You make me laugh.

The proof will be in the pudding.  Just come back to this thread in about 5 years and let me know how funny my prognostications regarding Mallett and the rest of this QB class are.

You're the clown, not me.

TheBrain

Quote from: PorkPariah on April 29, 2011, 10:28:11 am
First of all, I hate McShay.

But as I TRIED to tell people on this board, Kiper & McShay would not be saying what they were saying if they weren't being told by NFL people that Ryan's stock was dropping. 

Too many people on this board choose to be ignorant.  Objectivity is a scarce commodity at Hogville.

Agreed, and it obviously was not just a question of off field issues. If Mallet truly was the most talented QB available as some of these goobers wish to believe, someone would have taken a chance with his off field problems and drafted him last night. There is ZERO doubt about that. So, unless one wishes to believe that ESPN made Mallet's on field performances look worse than they were, blaming ESPN is stupid.

HogSophist

The smear campaign didn't do it. Mcsham and Kiper didnt do it.

RM, et al.... did 'it'.
signature removed by Hogville staff. (but Erie's quote revived because I missed it)

In an era where there are over $70 trillion in future obligations, beyond the debt,   taking up practices in budgeting that are tantamount to saying 'And then in 2040, a magic dragon will sh*tpoopy $100 trillion and fix our problems'  simply isn't wise. --ErieHog

The Hogfather

Quote from: bradmurray147 on April 29, 2011, 10:58:57 am
Being a dumbass? You're the one that keeps saying how wrong the GM's are at not picking him. You're the one telling everyone you know more than all the "experts" that do the evaluating for a living. I just called you out on it with facts.

Facts?  What facts?  They haven't played a down in the NFL.  You called me out on it with your opinions.

Like I said, just come back here in 5 or so years and let me know how good these GMs are.

Mallett will win more games than every one of the QBs taken in the 1st round, over his career.

The Hogfather

Quote from: bradmurray147 on April 29, 2011, 11:00:22 am
Me and everyone else on here calling you out, right? You're such a self-professed "great" evaluator of talent. Teams must be lining up to have you as their scout, right?

Actually, yes.

HamHands

One day at a time.

The Hogfather

Quote from: bradmurray147 on April 29, 2011, 11:00:22 am
Me and everyone else on here calling you out, right?

Yes, you and everyone else on here calling me out will be proven to be clowns.

TheBrain

Quote from: The Hogfather on April 29, 2011, 11:04:01 am
Facts?  What facts?  They haven't played a down in the NFL.  You called me out on it with your opinions.

Like I said, just come back here in 5 or so years and let me know how good these GMs are.

Mallett will win more games than every one of the QBs taken in the 1st round, over his career.

Oh come on be reasonable, we all know that the lower you're drafted the more unlikely it is that you even start in the NFL at QB. It's doubtful that Mallet will even start as many games as Newton, let alone get as many wins. Of course there are exceptions, but they are called exceptions for a reason.

DukeOfPork

Quote from: The Hogfather on April 29, 2011, 11:06:09 am
Yes, you and everyone else on here calling me out will be proven to be clowns.

I think Ryan has the potential to be the best QB in this class.  I don't think anyone is arguing against that.

We're talking about why the teams didn't want to risk a 1st round pick on him.

The Hogfather

And I'm not just being a homer.  Others can see it as well.

A couple of days ago, NFL Network had a fan poll asking:

Who is the best QB in draft?

Mallett - 49%
Gabbert - 29%
Newton - 22%

I'm sure it was all Hog fans who voted on that, right?  Nobody else would think that.

What about Kurt Warner?  Phil Simms?  They don't know anything about what it takes to play QB in the NFL, right?  What about Petrino?  He told Mallett to go to the NFL because he knew he was ready.

The Hogfather

Quote from: bradmurray147 on April 29, 2011, 11:08:06 am
You mush have been almost in tears last night not seeing his name called. lol

I didn't even watch most of it.  I think this will actually help Ryan in the long run.  That doesn't mean I am going to sit here and act like the teams choosing those other QBs over Mallett are being smart or will be right in their guesses that Mallett won't be as good in the NFL as them.

They are going to look like idiots in 5 or so years, just like you.

The Hogfather

Quote from: bradmurray147 on April 29, 2011, 11:11:38 am
Did you just throw a fan poll, that I am sure hog fans jumped out to vote in, as your facts on how is better than everyone else in the draft? I'm done with this. hahahaha. Awesome. Keep living up to the stereotypes that make all of us "fans" of the hogs look like absolute morons. We thank you.

No, dumbass, I threw it out to show that it isn't just Hog fans, like me, who think he will be the best QB in the draft.  I'm not just being a homer.  I'm being objective.

That was an NFL Network poll.  You really think a majority of Arkansas fans voted in that NFL Network poll?

HogSophist

Quote from: TheBrain on April 29, 2011, 11:07:57 am

Oh come on be reasonable, we all know that the lower you're drafted the more unlikely it is that you even start in the NFL at QB. It's doubtful that Mallet will even start as many games as Newton, let alone get as many wins. Of course there are exceptions, but they are called exceptions for a reason.

Is that a true statement?

I mean it may be, but warner, brady, romo, warren moon, steve young,dave krieg....etc thats a lot of starts and wins.

Heck, favre was the 3rd qb in his draft taken.

signature removed by Hogville staff. (but Erie's quote revived because I missed it)

In an era where there are over $70 trillion in future obligations, beyond the debt,   taking up practices in budgeting that are tantamount to saying 'And then in 2040, a magic dragon will sh*tpoopy $100 trillion and fix our problems'  simply isn't wise. --ErieHog

big_ol_meat

Quote from: The Hogfather on April 29, 2011, 10:57:15 am
The proof will be in the pudding.  Just come back to this thread in about 5 years and let me know how funny my prognostications regarding Mallett and the rest of this QB class are.

You're the clown, not me.
Would you bet 30 million dollars and a first round pick on that?

The Hogfather

Quote from: PorkPariah on April 29, 2011, 11:08:53 am
I think Ryan has the potential to be the best QB in this class.  I don't think anyone is arguing against that.

We're talking about why the teams didn't want to risk a 1st round pick on him.

Yet, they risked a 1st round pick on those other 4.  As I said, they'll look like idiots in about 5 years.

The Hogfather

Quote from: big_ol_meat on April 29, 2011, 11:16:26 am
Would you bet 30 million dollars and a first round pick on that?

Yes.  Especially over those guys they took.  Convince me that Gabbert/Locker/Ponder are better than Ryan Mallett and more worthy of being a 1st round pick.  You can't do it because it is ridiculous.

I can somewhat understand Newton because of potential ticket sales/exposure/potential (even though I think he'll end up being a bust in the long run), but those other 3 are not 1st rounders, ESPECIALLY before Ryan Mallett.

There's just no way, objectively speaking, that you could say that.  Mallett surpasses all of them in almost every category that you can think of to show how well a QB projects to the next level. 

The Hogfather

Quote from: bradmurray147 on April 29, 2011, 11:18:29 am
Yes, hogville had an agenda to get Peyton Hillis on the cover of Madden. Hog fans voted in droves. I, like many, believe that their was a substantial amount of hog fans that voted in that poll.

You're clueless, as usual.

TheBrain

Quote from: HogSophist on April 29, 2011, 11:16:06 am
Is that a true statement?

I mean it may be, but warner, brady, romo, warren moon, steve young,dave krieg....etc thats a lot of starts and wins.

Heck, favre was the 3rd qb in his draft taken.

Yes it's true, with plenty of exceptions just because of the number of QBs who have played in the league.

HogSophist

Quote from: TheBrain on April 29, 2011, 11:28:04 am
Yes it's true, with plenty of exceptions just because of the number of QBs who have played in the league.

Interesting.

I want to check that out more in depth. On its face it appears there literally are 'so many' exceptions that i think it would be tough to be true.

TheBrain

Quote from: HogSophist on April 29, 2011, 11:31:53 am
Interesting.

I want to check that out more in depth. On its face it appears there literally are 'so many' exceptions that i think it would be tough to be true.

Would be an interesting topic to see the actual numbers on. But it stands to reason that a QB who a team invests $30M in right off the bat is going to get many more opportunities to start even if he struggles than one who maybe a team has only a couple million in. No different than if you buy two televisions, one costs $100 and the other costs $1000. You are likely to throw the $100 TV out for bad performance long before you toss the $1000 one out. Just as a poor analogy.

PorkSoda

Quote from: The Hogfather on April 29, 2011, 08:26:08 am
He did his job of getting Gabbert to the top 10 and Mallett out of the 1st round.
exactly, yeah for him.  Mallett will be a steal for whoever gets him at this point, and carolina will be the laughing stock of the NFL just like oakland was when they drafted jamarcus russell.
"I became insane, with long intervals of horrible sanity." ― Edgar Allan Poe
"If quantum mechanics hasn't profoundly shocked you, you haven't understood it yet. Everything we call real is made of things that cannot be regarded as real." – Niels Bohr
"A mind stretched to a new idea, never returns to its original dimensions" ~ Oliver Wendell Holmes
Quote from: PonderinHog on August 07, 2023, 06:37:15 pmYeah, we're all here, but we ain't all there.

big_ol_meat

Mallett was an in between.  A great pick for someone in the 2nd or 3rd round but a gamble in the first.  That's basically what the analyst have been saying for months.  Why is this so hard to comprehend?  32 teams decided he wasn't worth the risk.  Why can't hog fans understand this?

The Hogfather

Quote from: big_ol_meat on April 29, 2011, 11:45:19 am
Mallett was an in between.  A great pick for someone in the 2nd or 3rd round but a gamble in the first.  That's basically what the analyst have been saying for months.  Why is this so hard to comprehend?  32 teams decided he wasn't worth the risk.  Why can't hog fans understand this?

BECAUSE NEWTON, LOCKER, GABBERT, AND PONDER ARE FRICKING RISKIER.  Mallett has at least proven he can run an NFL-style offense with great success.  None of the others have.

He is the most NFL ready QB and because of his arm strength and knowledge of the game/offense, he has almost as much upside as any other QB in the draft.  The only thing he won't ever do is outrun defenses, but that doesn't matter in the NFL (see almost every successful, winning NFL QB).

TheBrain

Quote from: The Hogfather on April 29, 2011, 11:50:53 am
BECAUSE NEWTON, LOCKER, GABBERT, AND PONDER ARE FRICKING RISKIER.  Mallett has at least proven he can run an NFL-style offense with great success.  None of the others have.

He is the most NFL ready QB and because of his arm strength and knowledge of the game/offense, he has almost as much upside as any other QB in the draft.  The only thing he won't ever do is outrun defenses, but that doesn't matter in the NFL (see almost every successful, winning NFL QB).

So I can only assume you're an NFL GM , why didn't you use your team (whichever one that is) pick to select RM last night?

phadedhawg

I don't understand why some of our fans are smirking and cheering over this.  Are some of so desperate to be right and show someone else as wrong to be happy this happened to the best QB we've ever produced? 

Oh well....time will tell who was the best QB.  I hope Mallett does well in the NFL.

The Hogfather

Quote from: TheBrain on April 29, 2011, 11:55:32 am
So I can only assume you're an NFL GM , why didn't you use your team (whichever one that is) pick to select RM last night?

The owner wouldn't let me.  We needed defensive line help more than a QB.

The Hogfather

Quote from: phadedhawg on April 29, 2011, 11:58:52 am
Oh well....time will tell who was the best QB.

This is what I like about it most.  We'll see how good these guys really are in about 5 years.  They're going to be pissed that they passed on Mallett for a couple of career back-ups, a girly man, and a Scam.

TheBrain

I don't understand why some of our fans are smirking and cheering over this.  Are some of so desperate to be right and show someone else as wrong to be happy this happened to the best QB we've ever produced? 

Oh well....time will tell who was the best QB.  I hope Mallett does well in the NFL.

No one is smirking. I would have loved to have seen Mallet go first round; but I am BEGGING Hog fans to start being reasonable and rationale. I'm so sick of our fans trashing anyone who says anything remotely negative about our program or our players no matter if it's true or not. It just makes us all look silly.

Mallet obviously wasn't first round material. Big deal, it's not the end of the world to admit that.

popcornhog

I believe that it is absurd that RM didn't go in the first round. Absolutely.

I also think it's cute that many of us make inferences about McShay's ethics or the NFL hatred for BP that are based on even less than those made by NFL scouts about RM. NFL teams spend millions of dollars digging and evaluating prospects. Upon conducting a cost-benefit analysis, they all decided he wasn't worth first round money. I think they're wrong, but, hey, they did the work and they based their decisions on their research.

What "hard evidence" do you have that McShay hoodwinked the NFL into drafting Gabbert? It sounds similar to assuming RM had been out partying in Carolina because he was sick in the morning.

Pot meet Kettle.

By the way, I sincerely believe he'll be the steal of the draft, based on what I've seen him do. But what do I know?

Quote from: razorbrass on April 29, 2011, 09:02:14 am
A few things:
1) McShay and Gabbert are represented by the same agency - McShay had nothing nice to say about Gabbert until Gabbert signed with this agency.  He has singlehandedly tried to get Gabbert drafted higher while talking down the competition.  McShay is a punk with no ethics.

2)  NFL types took more stock in what they heard from the Michigan people about Mallett than his 3 year body of work at Arkansas.  Seems Bobby Petrino has been marginalized by the NFL types.

Finally, like it or not the two biggest games we played this past year (Alabama and Ohio State) Mallett had not just the opportunity but a good opportunity to drive us down to tie or win and in both cases made bad decisions that resulted in turnovers.  Had he capitalized on one or both he would have been a top 10 pick.  In some ways this could be the best thing for him.  Being a first round pick means you will get thrown into the fire and learn on the job.  Many can't stand the pressure.  Hopefully Ryan will go to a good team where he can grow into the job.
WPS

DukeOfPork

Who is cheering over this?

And why do you hate America?  :)

Craig O Squeal

Quote from: bradmurray147 on April 29, 2011, 10:53:11 am
Difference in positions is the difference. QB is the face of the franchise. You don't want a kid with a bad rap,character wise, to lead your franchise.
Ben Roethlisberger? how's his character? Mike Vick? Brett Favre and his magic texting wanker?

The Hogfather

Quote from: TheBrain on April 29, 2011, 12:08:25 pm
No one is smirking. I would have loved to have seen Mallet go first round; but I am BEGGING Hog fans to start being reasonable and rationale. I'm so sick of our fans trashing anyone who says anything remotely negative about our program or our players no matter if it's true or not. It just makes us all look silly.

Mallet obviously wasn't first round material. Big deal, it's not the end of the world to admit that.

You can't even spell his name right and you want to act like you don't have an agenda or that we should even read what you have to say?  How am I supposed to take your opinion on Ryan Mallett seriously when you can't even spell his name correctly?

big_ol_meat

Why didn't Mallett go in the first round?  His mobility.  Pocket passer or not you have to at least stand strong in the pocket.  I heard someone fart in my living room one time and saw Ryan Mallett fall down on TV a few seconds later.  A more mobile QB helps with the learning curve from new lineman.  Did anyone notice how many lineman went in the first round? 

big_ol_meat

Quote from: Craig O Squeal on April 29, 2011, 12:31:38 pm
Ben Roethlisberger? how's his character? Mike Vick? Brett Favre and his magic texting wanker?
Yeah, it's not like the media persecuted Big Ben for his chirades, right?  I never heard negative press about Brett Favre or Michael Vick.   ???
These are established QB's.  People who have been in the NFL for a while.  Maybe they don't want to risk ending up with a QB going through this turmoil again. 

The Hogfather

Quote from: big_ol_meat on April 29, 2011, 12:38:02 pm
Why didn't Mallett go in the first round?  His mobility.  Pocket passer or not you have to at least stand strong in the pocket.

He does that better than any of the other QBs.  He just doesn't scramble well.  But you don't have to be able to scramble to be a good QB in the NFL.  In fact, it often ends up being the downfall of QBs.  They think they can run past some guys, get lit up, and are never the same.

Spider-Pig

People always mention Mallett's late interceptions, but why does noone mention Gabbert's late interception, that was returned for a TD and cost Mizzou the game, against Iowa?

The Hogfather

Quote from: big_ol_meat on April 29, 2011, 12:40:26 pm
Yeah, it's not like the media persecuted Big Ben for his chirades, right?  I never heard negative press about Brett Favre or Michael Vick.   ???
These are established QB's.  People who have been in the NFL for a while.  Maybe they don't want to risk ending up with a QB going through this turmoil again. 

And, still yet, they have been balling out as starting QBs of winning teams (until age caught up with Favre).

nosferatu

Quote from: The Hogfather on April 29, 2011, 11:15:16 am
No, dumbass, I threw it out to show that it isn't just Hog fans, like me, who think he will be the best QB in the draft.  I'm not just being a homer.  I'm being objective.

LOL No. You're not.
"When you're on the mound and you feel like you can murder someone's soul out there, failure isn't an option." - Brian Wilson

big_ol_meat

It's not game play.  It's not off the field issues.  It's just the fact he came out at the wrong time.  Mobile QB's are always a hot commodity.  There are only a few true pocket passing teams.  I don't see why everyone thinks its a smear campaign.  Mallett just doesn't have the upside as a more mobile QB. 

The Hogfather

Quote from: Spider-Pig on April 29, 2011, 12:43:19 pm
People always mention Mallett's late interceptions, but why does noone mention Gabbert's late interception, that was returned for a TD and cost Mizzou the game, against Iowa?

They always mention "how bad Mallett was in big games", but what about Locker/Gabbert?  How were they in big games?  Oh yeah.....horrible.  And they only played in about 2 "big games" apiece over their careers.  Mallett played about 7 of them last season.