Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Seattlehog - Dreary - What I Know

Started by vector4dz, November 29, 2015, 03:17:16 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

vector4dz

Dreary

"Once upon a midnight dreary, as I pondered weak and weary ..."
Edgar Allan Poe

Dreary is a great word. It gives a feeling and a visual at the same time.  It's all grays and greens and browns.  It's damp and has a chill.

If you look up synonyms "dismal" will keep popping up.  But "dreary" is not "dismal".  "Dreary" has character and life.  "Dismal" is hopeless.  "Dreary" is Dublin.  "Dismal" is Soviet era East Berlin.

The Missouri game was dreary. (The hoops loss to Stanford was dismal - but that's a different story.)

---------

We woke up late friday morning.  Left to our own devices Ellis and I can be extremely lazy on vacation days.  The rain was slapping on the roof and dripping down the window. We were in bed - eating frosted cookies and binge watching one of Ellis's awful shows on Netflix. ("Mako Mermaids" - a stunningly bad Australian show about teenagers that turn into mermaids whenever they get wet.) Ellis was working on her Australian accent and kept calling me "mate".

"Football game today" I said.

"It's a bit wet init mate?" Ellis sort of asked and sort of stated.

"Yeah but it's the last game" I said.

"No worries mate" the alien that had invaded Ellis's body said.

--------

It would be different if Mizzou was an actual rival, as opposed to a "mandated by the SEC" rival.

Rivalries  grow organically.  They aren't mandated.  They come from a long series of games with a lot at stake.  Maybe that will someday happen with Mizzou, but given the history of the programs and the fact that they are in the opposite division this seems unlikely.

"Do we hate Missouri?" Ellis asked as it approached noon and we debated the wisdom of actually removing our pajamas and getting dressed.

"We don't even think of Missouri, Ellis" I said. "In fact we are kinda surprised every time we look at a map and see it just sitting there on top of us, like a bad-fitting Fez.  I think they probably feel the same way about us."

-----

We live near the stadium, just off Cleveland. Game days are usually filled with semi-drunken college kids wandering up the street, muffled music coming from cars and yards, the smell of smoke and over-cooked meat.

Friday was different.  It smelled slightly of compost and maybe fungi. Leaves decomposed in my un-raked yard. Dogs and cats made peace and huddled under the protection of porches.  Once in a while an oversized red umbrella, swaddled and featureless adults hunched beneath, would stall walking up the hill on Cleveland, unheard debates going on about whether the trek was worth it.

"We really should go" I told Ellis.  "It's senior day.  Probably Buddha's last home game too. And Hunter Henry."

"They are LEAVING!?" Ellis yelped and started weeping.  She has no idea who they are.  She just deals poorly with goodbyes.

-----------

We looked through closets for raincoats and ponchos.  We argued about shoes.  Ellis wanted to wear her tap shoes.  I maintained this was impractical. Things escalated quickly. I maturely hid the tap shoes and declared she could go barefoot.  She found the shoes immediately and made a hideous amount of noise dancing until I conceded defeat.

Things were just a steady drip as we left the house, Ellis clacking down the stairs.  I had sandwiches in a fanny pack and Ellis asked for one before we got out of the driveway.

There was a puddle in a pothole and I sensed trouble.

"Ellis don't ...." I started.  SPLASH!

"This is gonna be a long walk" I said.

--------------

ELLIS: "Daddy you need to carry me.  My feet are cold and wet.  I think tap shoes aren't great for long walking.  Plus I will turn into a mermaid if I get wet."

ME: (Inappropriate, possibly profane, response)

ELLIS: "That's not a nice thing to say Daddy.  What's a turd?"

------------

We made it to the top of Cleveland, Ellis on my back the whole way saying "You can DO it Daddy.  I THINK I can I THINK I can."  My left leg felt numb and the remaining sandwiches were hopelessly squished. 

We meandered a couple of blocks until we could see the stadium in the distance.  The usual bright reds of the crowd were replaced by the gray of metal seating and the damp crimson of the soaked hardy souls.

ELLIS: Daddy is the game on TV?

ME: Yes Ellis.  Yes it is.

ELLIS: Daddy it seems kind of dumb to go all the way to the game.  I wanna go home. 

ME: (audible sigh)

ELLIS: We can have hot chocolate and Mac and Cheese.  Plus there are six more episodes of "Mermaids" to watch.

That sounded good.  It sounded really good.  We started back to the house.

ELLIS: Daddy?

ME: Yeah hun?

ELLIS: I think we might need to go shopping for new tap shoes.

-------------

On to WHAT I KNOW - Week 12

I know I put up a Christmas tree on Thanksgiving night.  This was the result of insufferable nagging.

I know the end of college football season is always kind of sad.  It's the end of certain hopes and expectations that, however unrealistic, are always fun to entertain.
I know the preseason expectations for Arkansas and Tennessee were actually pretty close to right.  If a couple of crazy stupid losses for each team go the other way those two teams would be right in the mix for Atlanta.

I know avoiding the crazy stupid losses is a huge part of winning titles.

I know Brandon Allen will have one of the most bizarre legacies of all Arkansas  QBs.  He has played stunningly good football at times and has been a centerpiece of 2 teams playing excellent football at the end of the season.  At the same time he never really led a team that was in honest contention for anything.

I know Buddha's career hasn't been quiet or anything, but when I look at his accomplishments I am still a bit stunned. He almost has to be considered our 2nd best back of all time (behind DMac) doesn't he? I could maybe argue for Felix ahead of him but beyond that I don't see anyone.  Well done Alex.

I know, or at least I hope, that a huge part of bowl practice is working on the QB transition.  I think the defense can improve and we will always find a running back or two.  The O-line will be good for years to come and suddenly our receivers look solid.  QB play will (as always) be huge next year.

I know I am actually pretty close to all in on Bielema.  Outside of Urban and Saban I'm as happy with Bert as I would be with just about anyone.

I know I don't care about the bowl game - like at all.  The extra practice is the real prize.

I know I will bitch and whine anyway if we look bad in the bowl.

I know that wraps another season.  It was dreary at times - but never dismal.

Until Next Time

Seattle

Twitter: @seattlehog

http://seattlehog.org/

Hogfan46

Thanks Seattle for another great season of your musings. Always looked for them the day after games.

MontanaHog

Thanks and +1 as always. But we're still waiting for the basketball post you promised!

TriHog

Thanks again for letting us be a part of "game day" with you and Ellis. Always makes me laugh when I hear what she does, I still remember my 18 year old doing the same type thing.  Enjoy it while she's young my friend!

reptilehog

BPsTheMan

Ellis - Director of Football Operations - Arkansas Razorbacks - Year 2035

BorderPatrol

wholehog92

Good read and valid observations as always.
My personal list of trolls so that I can remember not to reply to them:  Pigs Been Fly, gohogsgo006, hanksampson, no3putts, HarryGoat, Oxbaker, Olmissbydamn, LocalHawg, Thatguy, Masterhog, servicesupport, Razorhawg09, Big Poppa Z,  $100 Handshake, Poloprince.

List of folks that reasonable conversation will not happen:  Iron Hog, Jman, hognot, Solomwi, hogfan1111x, pigzwillrise.

Favorite Posters:  WilsonHog, Tomhog, Muskogeehog, Razorfox, TammayTom, razorback3072, bennyl08.

GolfnHog

You've done a hogolicious job as the #1 sidekick to Ellis this year. She's been well worth the admission of this football season. For all of us that have daughters and only the memories of their childhoods, it's been a fun and belly laughing journey through both of you.

What you've proved is that you are an amazing curator of words but more importantly a great and happy Daddy.(the gray hairs that come are badges of honor.)  It doesn't get any better than that.
Have you ever listened to someone  or read what they put into thoughts and wondered...."who ties your shoelaces for you?"

Arthur pigby sellers.

Thanks Seattlehog.  I've always felt a little like a kindred spirit since I also have a daughter named Ellis.   I've also have a twin 7 yr old boy and girl.  Unfortunately they too love Mako Mermaids especially my boy.  Hopefully he just has a thing for mermaids.