Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Hey FCJ, is Mike Anderson still the best coach in history???

Started by CFB_Fanatic, December 02, 2017, 08:07:54 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

CFB_Fanatic

I'm no Mike hater, and I love the way our team is improving. But after we whipped a down UCONN team and I said we should pump the brakes on celebrating too much and labeling the team world beaters, you called me a fool.

So where are you at now? Mike is getting worked by 20 from an average Houston team. Gonna take your medicine?

Like I said, the Hogs are good but not great. We can be a top5 team in the SEC which is great considering how good our league is.

But it's okay to take step back, take a breath and see who you are. We are a good but not great team with a high ceiling. Mike Anderson isn't the GOAT, even if you think he is.

BannerMountainMan

Quote from: CFB_Fanatic on December 02, 2017, 08:07:54 pm
I'm no Mike hater, and I love the way our team is improving. But after we whipped a down UCONN team and I said we should pump the brakes on celebrating too much and labeling the team world beaters, you called me a fool.

So where are you at now? Mike is getting worked by 20 from an average Houston team. Gonna take your medicine?

Like I said, the Hogs are good but not great. We can be a top5 team in the SEC which is great considering how good our league is.

But it's okay to take step back, take a breath and see who you are. We are a good but not great team with a high ceiling. Mike Anderson isn't the GOAT, even if you think he is.
How is Houston an average when they are making everything they throw up even when they are closely guarded?
"Michael Qualls with the dunk at the buzzer, it goes and Arkansas wins, it goes and Arkansas wins"

3kgthog

hobhog

not your fault Anderson. just got beat by better team. again. this team will be awesome once they learn. haters going to hate.

3kgthog

Quote from: BannerMountainMan on December 02, 2017, 08:09:18 pm
How is Houston an average when they are making everything they throw up even when they are closely guarded?

Have you seen the teams they've played and struggled mightily against? Apparently not.

Letsroll1200

TNhawgfan

You really expect Joe to change his tune about Mike after one bad loss? We could lose next 10 games and he wouldn't budge
I'd rather be dead than be a Vol

code red

"If what you did yesterday seems big, you haven't done anything today."  Dr. Lou

CFB_Fanatic

Quote from: TNhawgfan on December 02, 2017, 08:12:14 pm
You really expect Joe to change his tune about Mike after one bad loss? We could lose next 10 games and he wouldn't budge

Good point. Toots his horn to no end after a "huge" win. Blasts anyone who questions the merit of the win.

Hogs have a bad loss and he's nowhere to be found.

Like I said, I'm no Mike hater. He's improving our team. But he's a middle tier coach when it comes to the X's and O's. And that's being generous

Letsroll1200

Quote from: code red on December 02, 2017, 08:27:45 pm
No pressure on coaches = UofA

Why would there be pressure on Mike after one road games. You guys kill me coming out after every lost but silent when they win. Keep watching

code red

Quote from: Letsroll1200 on December 02, 2017, 08:29:33 pm
Why would there be pressure on Mike after one road games. You guys kill me coming out after every lost but silent when they win. Keep watching
bc it's comin😀
"If what you did yesterday seems big, you haven't done anything today."  Dr. Lou

code red

I think you mean destroyed.

code red

Quote from: TNhawgfan on December 02, 2017, 08:12:14 pm
Yep yep yep

hogsanity

Amazing how often we have said that about a team against the hogs the last 6 years
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

batmanfan

Afraid Mike is the Houston Nutt of hoops. By far a nicer guy obviously but it is what it is.
Images should not be any wider or taller than 250 pixels, max two images.  use  or  to accomplish this.  Total image width is allowed to be 500 pixels, maximum.  Maximum size of all signature images cannot exceed 100,000 total bytes.

orvillesghost

Mike deserved this year after the way we closed down the stretch last year

But I have never seen one thing from him at Arkansas to indicate he will ever be better than occasionally second or third in the conference and the round of 32 in the NCAA.

We have a lot of seniors on this team so maybe this year will break the mold, I hope it does.

CFB_Fanatic

Quote from: orvillesghost on December 02, 2017, 08:43:33 pm
Mike deserved this year after the way we closed down the stretch last year

But I have never seen one thing from him at Arkansas to indicate he will ever be better than occasionally second or third in the conference and the round of 32 in the NCAA.

We have a lot of seniors on this team so maybe this year will break the mold, I hope it does.

Hopefully. Mike has proven he can recruit well which is fantastic.

But he hasn't proven he can develop talent.

Letsroll1200

Quote from: CFB_Fanatic on December 02, 2017, 08:49:59 pm
Hopefully. Mike has proven he can recruit well which is fantastic.

But he hasn't proven he can develop talent.

Develop talent? Watkins, Qualls, Hannah, Kingsley etc... They all got better. Qualls was a 2 or 3 star out of high school.

hoglady

Man, I should have figured there would be a freak out in this forum over 1 game.
It was bad night.
Doesn't mean the team is bad or the coach is bad - it just means we had a bad night.

Inside every "older" person is a younger person wondering what the hell happened?

"Compassion for animals is intimately associated with goodness of character, and it may be confidently asserted that he who is cruel to animals cannot be a good man."
― Arthur Schopenhauer, The Basis of Morality

Hollywood_HOGan45

You almost sound happy we got rocked.

FineAsSwine

If you were really just talking to FCJ, you should have sent this post to him in a PM instead of starting a thread.

rwspear

we lost a game, should probably fire mike because we want coach that never loses a game

gus is gonna love it here

FineAsSwine

Quote from: hoglady on December 02, 2017, 08:59:56 pm
Man, I should have figured there would be a freak out in this forum over 1 game.
It was bad night.
Doesn't mean the team is bad or the coach is bad - it just means we had a bad night.

Have you ever tried herding cats in a tornado? Might be easier than rounding up this bunch.

hogsanity

It was bad night.

Thinks a freak out but this is exactly how the hogs lose games under Mike. Long dry spell on offense and poor perimeter D.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

widespreadsooie

I'll go on and say you're being foolish without reading any other posts. FCJ actually is spot on with his opinions.

FineAsSwine

Quote from: hogsanity on December 02, 2017, 09:03:05 pm
Thinks a freak out but this is exactly how the hogs lose games under Mike. Long dry spell on offense and poor perimeter D.

How would you rather them lose?

bkjbearcat

One bad game? How about six seasons of mediocre teams and poor recruiting? Word of advice, don't make plans past the first weekend of the tournament. Or NIT.
B-E-A-R-C-A-T-S BEARCATS, BEARCATS GOOOOOOO BEARCATS!!!!!!!<br /><br />D2 National Champs in Football: 1998, 1999, 2009, 2013, 2015, 2016<br /><br />D2 National Champs in Mens Basketball: 2017, 2019, No.1 team in 2020,2021, 2022

hogsanity

Quote from: FineAsSwine on December 02, 2017, 09:06:24 pm
How would you rather them lose?

Id rather them fix these issues but we've been seeing them for 6 seasons so it is obvious it is a systemic problem with what Mike does.

That said I thought they'd lose 3 ooc games. 31 games is a lot of regular season games. This game by itself ia not a huge deal.

texas tush hog

Quote from: widespreadsooie on December 02, 2017, 09:06:12 pm

I'll go on and say you're being foolish without reading any other posts. FCJ actually is spot on with his opinions.

Here, here, Dilly Dilly.

FineAsSwine

Quote from: hogsanity on December 02, 2017, 09:11:26 pm
Id rather them fix these issues but we've been seeing them for 6 seasons so it is obvious it is a systemic problem with what Mike does.

That said I thought they'd lose 3 ooc games. 31 games is a lot of regular season games. This game by itself ia not a huge deal.

Every system has a weakness so you have a point there but the bottom line has been good so far. Second only to KY in wins for the last 3 years in the SEC. Just need to make the tournament again this year and get the 2nd weekend this time.

Letsroll1200

Quote from: bkjbearcat on December 02, 2017, 09:08:39 pm
One bad game? How about six seasons of mediocre teams and poor recruiting? Word of advice, don't make plans past the first weekend of the tournament. Or NIT.

Poor recruiting?

BannerMountainMan

"Michael Qualls with the dunk at the buzzer, it goes and Arkansas wins, it goes and Arkansas wins"

CFB_Fanatic

Quote from: Letsroll1200 on December 02, 2017, 08:52:38 pm
Develop talent? Watkins, Qualls, Hannah, Kingsley etc... They all got better. Qualls was a 2 or 3 star out of high school.

I could make a lot of arguments against those. But Mike has proven more in recruiting than developing. Dusty, Macon, Barford, Portis, Marshawn Powell....All were great talents before Mike got a hold of them.

In his defense though, they didn't regress.

CFB_Fanatic

It was bad night.

Well there was a freak out thread last week after the UCONN win. I tried saying what you are here: we had a good night, nothing more.

But people (especially FCJ) flipped the fug out when I did.

hogsanity

Quote from: tncbg on December 02, 2017, 09:28:38 pm
Nothing has changed. We have a nice team, but they can't sleep walk and win. They got outplayed, outworked and stunk it up. This team can beat or lose to most any team they play. Our half court offense was terrible tonight. Either Houston's defense was exceptional or we just don't function well in the half court. My guess is that our lack of inside scoring will be a constant problem. When the guards aren't shooting well, we struggle to score.

So its a typical Anderson.team then.

Etowah

Houston does have a really good coach.  He is a cheater...but he is a good coach.

Pigsear

This team couldn't carry water to the teams of the 90's.

CFB_Fanatic

Quote from: widespreadsooie on December 02, 2017, 09:06:12 pm

False. He thinks Mike Anderson hung the damn moon.

I bet he would take him over Coach K, Izzo, Donovan, White, Self, Marshall, or any other of the top15 coaches in the nation with proven success.

He's entitled to his opinion, but that doesn't mean it's right.

Hawg Red

Do you feel better now?

CFB_Fanatic

Quote from: Hawg Red on December 02, 2017, 09:58:51 pm
Do you feel better now?

Never feel good after a loss.

But I'm a silver lining person. I found the silver lining in this loss

elksnort

Quote from: hogsanity on December 02, 2017, 09:31:16 pm
So its a typical Anderson.team then.
Exactly, why do people act so surprised?
Be prepared, we will see a few more like this Houston game before this season is over.

onebadrubi

It appears we are going to see 2-5 games like this a year under Mike.  We weren't in the game from the Tip which begs the question of what happened.  The good thing is we've seen this before and it isn't indicative of what is too come.

Youngsta71701

I chalked this one up as one of them games. One of them games where Houston made everything they threw up and The Hogs couldn't make anything. With that being said this is by far the worse game The Hogs have played so far this season. No energy, no intensity, no player movement, no ball movement to go along with Houston doing everything right. "The Perfect Storm" Hopefully they go review a lot of film and bounce back even stronger than they were. Looks like Houston just wanted it more than we did. Still see big things coming though this season.

One more thing. Am I the only one thinking that Gafford gets fouled a lot without getting the call? Gotta be frustrating as a freshman. He clearly got hit on the wrist when he air balled that jump hook. Not to mention it seems he gets pushed and slapped every time he goes for a rebound. Anyways, on to the next one. WooPig!!
"The more things change the more they stay the same"

k.c.hawg

The football coaching search is not going the way that the anxiety ridden, internet Hog fan would like it to go, so they have moved over to Jump Ball for one night after a loss. They don't watch games ever, they get updates on their phone to determine if it is time to jump on hogville and inject their old, tired commentary abot the coach. Their passions are the coaches, recruiting, athletic adminstration and how big boosters money should be spent. No desire for the actual games. Lose to Houston on the road, the coach is crap, can't recruit, season over. Forget the fact the the team was #10 in the RPI going into the game and they had played the #40 schedule to date. The fact is, every single indicator shows that this basketball program continues to improve. The nucleus for next year and the future is in place. As Gafford, Bailey and Jones improve this team will be very solid at years end.

Just sitting on the deck with a cold beer and a hot tequila watching the razorbacks roam.