Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

It seems like the top talent we do have in Arkansas ends up elsewhere

Started by Sweet Feet, November 30, 2017, 11:21:03 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Sweet Feet

Saban landed Altee Tenpenny from NLR, Josh Frazier from Springdale, and almost had akial byers from fayetteville until mizzou got him.
Ohio St has KJ Hill who is coming along. We even missed Ken Dixon from Strong who went to La Tech and is now playing for the ravens. Now we have had our share of top state talent coming here from 2006 to 2011. But idk what has happened. There is talent in this state. Arkansas just isn't landing them anymore like they used to.

Dionysos25

Pretty sure most of those players we missed on never panned out .. except DGB .. and he left early. Maybe coaches were smarter than they looked.
"Once again we've hit philosophical bedrock with the shovel of a stupid question."

ricepig

Quote from: Sweet Feet on November 30, 2017, 11:21:03 am
Saban landed Altee Tenpenny from NLR, Josh Frazier from Springdale, and almost had akial byers from fayetteville until mizzou got him.
Ohio St has KJ Hill who is coming along. We even missed Ken Dixon from Strong who went to La Tech and is now playing for the ravens. Now we have had our share of top state talent coming here from 2006 to 2011. But idk what has happened. There is talent in this state. Arkansas just isn't landing them anymore like they used to.

Any more? It's the same hit rate for the last several coaches at Arkansas.

DeltaBoy

If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

regi

Tusks

sometimes it's a good and some times it's a schit

BoynamedWooPigSooie

There is talent in Arkansas.  CT Fletcher was born in Pine Bluff.

The problem is when work in the Delta dried up and Little Rock imploded the talent pool was cut by at least 70%.

Natural talent is out there it'll just take working really hard to find it and cultivate it and keep em out of the prison system. 

Which is another reason Bert's Uncommon philosophy to recruiting was a disaster for Arkansas. It was lazy and designed to steer away from kids that needed the structure and guidance the most.
Hogville's resident uniform designer.

KlubhouseKonnected

Quote from: Dionysos25 on November 30, 2017, 11:22:27 am
Pretty sure most of those players we missed on never panned out .. except DGB .. and he left early. Maybe coaches were smarter than they looked.

DGB is from Missouri
If Auburn is dirty so is Gus. You can't have it both ways. Deal with it.

PorkRinds

Tenpenny washed out. Frazier hasn't been anything to speak of. AB was a grade risk and then flat out lied about the coaching staff in an interview. KJ Hill was committed and flipped, and by "coming slong" I assume you mean just getting a few snaps. He's done ok this year.

KlubhouseKonnected

Quote from: razorcash2 on November 30, 2017, 11:48:22 am
Wasn't Dixon solid at La Tech?

I think that the staff liked other options better and if they offered at all it was very late. I'd say Dixon was a very clear miss.
If Auburn is dirty so is Gus. You can't have it both ways. Deal with it.

Hog Fan...DOH!

If you have to go back 5 years, and the number of players who left the state can be added up on one hand— hmmmmm. 

bphi11ips

Quote from: ricepig on November 30, 2017, 11:35:18 am
Any more? It's the same hit rate for the last several coaches at Arkansas.

KJ Hill is Ohio State's leading receiver with 51 catches for 519 yards.  He is also the Buckeyes' punt returner.  Hill is from North Little Rock.  Rivals rated him as a 4 star 5.9 and second in Arkansas's 2015 class.

Damarea Crockett rushed for 1062 yards as a true freshman at Missouri and had 60 carries for 481 yards when he went down midseason with a shoulder injury.  Crockett went to Little Rock Christian Academy. Rivals rated him as a 4 star 5.8 and 3 in the state in the 2016 class.

Josh Frazier was the top ranked recruit in Arkansas's 2014 class. He played on Alabama's d-line this year at 6'4" 315 lbs. and had 13 tackles with 2.5 TFLS.

Arkansas can't lose players like these and compete in the SEC.  This is one of the main issues driving current thinking by those concerned about what is best for the future of the football program.
Life is too short for grudges and feuds.

hogsanity

Quote from: bphi11ips on November 30, 2017, 12:49:43 pm
KJ Hill is Ohio State's leading receiver with 51 catches for 519 yards.  He is also the Buckeyes' punt returner.  Hill is from North Little Rock.  Rivals rated him as a 4 star 5.9 and second in Arkansas's 2015 class.

Damarea Crockett rushed for 1062 yards as a true freshman at Missouri and had 60 carries for 481 yards when he went down midseason with a shoulder injury.  Crockett went to Little Rock Christian Academy. Rivals rated him as a 4 star 5.8 and 3 in the state in the 2016 class.

Josh Frazier was the top ranked recruit in Arkansas's 2014 class. He played on Alabama's d-line this year at 6'4" 315 lbs. and had 13 tackles with 2.5 TFLS.

Arkansas can't lose players like these and compete in the SEC.  This is one the main issues driving current thinking by those concerned about what is best for the future of the football program.

The answer to Arkansas' problems do not lie in in state players. This thread just shows how thin the in state talent selection usually is. 3 players over how many years that actually have played much in the sec or anywhere else for that matter. Frazier had more Bama connections than he did Arkansas even though he lived here. When they let Crockett go they had RWIII and had Whaley committed.

More to the point, not one mention of a LB or cb or safety. No one is coming here to get those players because we produce precious little.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

IronHog

Quote from: hogsanity on November 30, 2017, 12:55:13 pm
The answer to Arkansas' problems do not lie in in state players. This thread just shows how thin the in state talent selection usually is. 3 players over how many years that actually have played much in the sec or anywhere else for that matter. Frazier had more Bama connections than he did Arkansas even though he lived here. When they let Crockett go they had RWIII and had Whaley committed.

More to the point, not one mention of a LB or cb or safety. No one is coming here to get those players because we produce precious little.

They're out there....just playing basketball

Go walk down the hall at pine bluff high sometime....stacked with big dudes that play nothing
Iron sharpens iron, So one man sharpens another.

IronHog

Quote from: razorcash2 on November 30, 2017, 11:48:22 am
Wasn't Dixon solid at La Tech?

Set TD records there

Probably compatible to Alex Collins without the fumble issue
Iron sharpens iron, So one man sharpens another.

PorkRinds

Quote from: bphi11ips on November 30, 2017, 12:49:43 pm

Arkansas can't lose players like these and compete in the SEC.  This is one of the main issues driving current thinking by those concerned about what is best for the future of the football program.

KJ Hill flipped when his daddy got paid. Crockett got busted with weed. Frazier hasn't done jack. We can afford to lose a few guys like that.

hogginbama

Quote from: IronHog on November 30, 2017, 12:58:33 pm

Go walk down the hall at pine bluff high sometime....stacked with big dudes that play nothing

So do we recruit the guys who are standing in the hallways playing nothing, put them on full scholarships and teach them to play football. Could you imagine the backlash if we took a cat from Pine Bluff who was leaning against the lockers instead of signing Alex Collins, RWIII or Greenlaw?
My ole buddy Biscuit has crossed that rainbow bridge. Life sure is different without him around.

OneTuskOverTheLine™

That's because most of them do not have the grades to play...
Quote from: capehog on March 12, 2010...
My ex wife had a pet monkey I used to play with. That was one of the few things I liked about her

quote from: golf2day on June 19, 2014....
I'm disgusted, but kinda excited. Now I'm disgusted that I'm excited.

bphi11ips

Quote from: PorkRinds on November 30, 2017, 01:02:56 pm
KJ Hill flipped when his daddy got paid. Crockett got busted with weed. Frazier hasn't done jack. We can afford to lose a few guys like that.

Lol.  Whatever doesn't fit your narrative.

hogsanity

Quote from: bphi11ips on November 30, 2017, 02:27:51 pm
Lol.  Whatever doesn't fit your narrative.

What narrative? You think 3 players over the past 3 or 4 years were going to make this team any better? Especially since none of them play a position the Hogs really have a need for.

People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

Grunt

The above is likely to be highly biased and may not be defensible.

bphi11ips

Quote from: hogsanity on November 30, 2017, 12:55:13 pm
The answer to Arkansas' problems do not lie in in state players.

This is 180 degrees opposite of what you have always said here. 

Arkansas has 3,000,000 residents, 15.6% of whom are African American.  Arkansas produces SEC caliber football players at all-positions over time in numbers consistent with its demographics.  Period.  Alabama averages around 6 in-state players per class.

The key to fielding nationally competitive football teams at Arkansas has been and always will be based upon securing the top 6 or 8 Arkansas players with little leakage every year and beating other P5 schools for quality players in surrounding states.  DFW is the most important out-of-state area.

That is it in a nutshell. 

bphi11ips

Quote from: hogsanity on November 30, 2017, 02:30:06 pm
What narrative? You think 3 players over the past 3 or 4 years were going to make this team any better? Especially since none of them play a position the Hogs really have a need for.

Are you freaking kidding me?

We didn't need a possession receiver in the slot who caught 51 passes at Ohio State?

We didn't need a 6'4" 315 lb. defensive lineman who could crack Alabama's rotation?

We didn't need a 1,000 yard SEC running back who could block and catch passes?

You're nuts.

#1 STUNNA

Arkansas cant afford to lose any elite arkansas athletes... we dont recruit out of state good enough.

Harold James- Alabama
Cedrick Houston- Tennessee
Deangelo Williams- Memphis
Bret Smith- Tennessee
Roshaun Fellows- Tennessee
Matt Stoltz- Tennessee
Brett Helms- LSU
Slick Shelley- Tennessee
Ricardo Kemp- Tennessee
Bartley Webb- Notre Dame
Lee Ziemba- Auburn
Kodi Burns- Auburn
Broderick Green- USC
Derek Johnson- Texas
Jesse Grandy- Ole Miss
Michael Dyer- Auburn
Brishen Matthews- Ole Miss
Kiehl Frazier- Alabama
Mitch Hall- ole miss
Kenneth Dixon- everyone missed on him
Zac Brooks- Clemson
Altee Tenpenny- Alabama
Josh Frazier- Alabama
KJ Hill- Ohio State
Damarea Crockett- Mizzou
Akial Byers- Mizzou
Taylor Powell- Mizzou
BJ Thompson- Baylor
Tre Norwood- Oklahoma
Gerry Bohannon?
Ladarius Bishop? Miss State

While some of these didnt pan out at the schools they chose... they might have at Arkansas. Cant continue losing any talent to other SEC schools.

hogsanity

Quote from: bphi11ips on November 30, 2017, 02:42:35 pm
Are you freaking kidding me?

We didn't need a possession receiver in the slot who caught 51 passes at Ohio State?

We didn't need a 6'4" 315 lb. defensive lineman who could crack Alabama's rotation?

We didn't need a 1,000 yard SEC running back who could block and catch passes?

You're nuts.

I asked if three players were going to make this team better. During Crockets big year we had a back rush for over 1300 yards in RWIII.

Quote from: #1 STUNNA on November 30, 2017, 02:49:52 pm
Arkansas cant afford to lose any elite arkansas athletes... we dont recruit out of state good enough.

Harold James- Alabama
Bret Smith- Tennessee
Matt Stoltz- Tennessee
Brett Helms- LSU
Slick Shelley- Tennessee
Ricardo Kemp- Tennessee
Bartley Webb- Notre Dame
Lee Ziemba- Auburn
Kodi Burns- Auburn
Broderick Green- USC
Derek Johnson- Texas
Jesse Grandy- Ole Miss
Michael Dyer- Auburn
Kiehl Frazier- Alabama
Mitch Hall- ole miss
Zac Brooks- Clemson
Altee Tenpenny- Alabama
Josh Frazier- Alabama
KJ Hill- Ohio State
Damarea Crockett- Mizzou
Akial Byers- Mizzou
Taylor Powell- Mizzou
BJ Thompson- Baylor
Tre Norwood- Oklahoma
Gerry Bohannon?

While some of these didnt pan out at the schools they chose... they might have at Arkansas. Cant continue losing any talent to other SEC schools.

30 players and you had to go back over a decade to get that many. More of them than not washed out and never did much of anything.

bphi11ips

Quote from: hogsanity on November 30, 2017, 03:04:44 pm
I asked if three players were going to make this team better. During Crockets big year we had a back rush for over 1300 yards in RWIII.

If you were stupid I'd ignore you.  Since you're not stupid, I assume you're a troll.  Fine.  Here's you're treat:

Crockett was a true freshman "his big year".  We needed him this year and you know it. 

hogsanity

Quote from: bphi11ips on November 30, 2017, 03:14:26 pm
If you were stupid I'd ignore you.  Since you're not stupid, I assume you're a troll.  Fine.  Here's you're treat:

Crockett was a true freshman "his big year".  We needed him this year and you know it. 

How many backs were they supposed to sign in the 2016 class? They got Whaley ( who EVERYONE had ranked higher than Crockett ) and Hammonds.

But you do bring up one point, the state tends to produce players at about 3 positions, positions you can go just about anywhere and find as good or better. If the Hogs had lost out on 3 instate kids that went to other SEC schools and started at LB or CB or S, then yea I'd be mad.

JethroB.

Didn't Dixon start out at Moo U? I may be wrong but i was thinking he may have then went to La Tech.

#1 STUNNA

regardless if a player pans out a different college... doesnt mean its ok we let them get away... a 500 yard receiver for ohio state may be a 1000 yard receiver for arkansas. A back up defensive tackle at alabama may be a starting DT at Arkansas.

Vantage 8 dude

We know the tragic story that was Altee, short career which burned out long before its time. Josh is playing some back up duty on the 'Bama defensive line. KJ is working as a WR but generally not starting. Byers we will obviously have to see. Too early as yet.

Dixon was definitely the one that virtually EVERYONE missed out on. I would say of all the ones you've mentioned he was the one who ended up as the biggest miss.

hogsanity

Quote from: #1 STUNNA on November 30, 2017, 03:20:12 pm
regardless if a player pans out a different college... doesnt mean its ok we let them get away... a 500 yard receiver for ohio state may be a 1000 yard receiver for arkansas. A back up defensive tackle at alabama may be a starting DT at Arkansas.

With Hill it was not like they did not recruit him. Heck he was a commit for a long time. Frazier made it clear he was going to Bama, his family had ties there. And Crockett? Mizzu was the only sec school, maybe one of the only FBS schools that offered him.

#1 STUNNA

Quote from: Vantage 8 dude on November 30, 2017, 03:25:10 pm
We know the tragic story that was Altee, short career which burned out long before its time. Josh is playing some back up duty on the 'Bama defensive line. KJ is working as a WR but generally not starting. Byers we will obviously have to see. Too early as yet.

Dixon was definitely the one that virtually EVERYONE missed out on. I would say of all the ones you've mentioned he was the one who ended up as the biggest miss.

lol. KJ Hill is the leading receiver for Ohio State.

ricepig

That's Bolding's problem.

hogsanity

Quote from: Vantage 8 dude on November 30, 2017, 03:25:10 pm

What backs did the Hogs have during the time Dixon was at La Tech? Jwil and AC and RWII, it is not like they were hurting for Rb production during those years. in 2014 while Dixon was gaining 1200 yards, Collins got 1100, and in 2015 While Dixon got a little over 1k, Collins got 1500.

ricepig

Quote from: #1 STUNNA on November 30, 2017, 03:20:12 pm
So.....what should they have done? They offered, they wined and dined, not every player comes to Arkansas, correct? As a Warren fan, you know about guys going elsewhere, no one gets 100%.

#1 STUNNA

Quote from: ricepig on November 30, 2017, 03:32:02 pm
So.....what should they have done? They offered, they wined and dined, not every player comes to Arkansas, correct? As a Warren fan, you know about guys going elsewhere, no one gets 100%.

I agree... but to say its ok that these kids are going to other schools is unnaceptable... Arkansas needs all the help they can get. And until we get a head coach in that can win games and build some tradition we will continue losing kids to the power houses and schools on the same playing field as us. We need a coach that truly understands arkansas and wants to actually be at Arkansas... thats what it is gonna take...

redeye

Quote from: hogsanity on November 30, 2017, 03:04:44 pm

30 players and you had to go back over a decade to get that many. More of them than not washed out and never did much of anything.

Some were never even recruited by Arkansas.

Hook 'em Hogs

Quote from: hogsanity on November 30, 2017, 03:18:19 pm
How many backs were they supposed to sign in the 2016 class? They got Whaley ( who EVERYONE had ranked higher than Crockett ) and Hammonds.

But you do bring up one point, the state tends to produce players at about 3 positions, positions you can go just about anywhere and find as good or better. If the Hogs had lost out on 3 instate kids that went to other SEC schools and started at LB or CB or S, then yea I'd be mad.

Ya, I was reading with interest and was waffling back and forth.  This pretty much did it for me.  Arkansas will need to get every top-level talent they can in the state, but in truth, we have gotten EVERY ONE.  I think overall, Bielema did as good of a job as anyone in locking up the in-state talent in the modern era.  None of the players we've mentioned would have made much of an impact because better players would have been in front of them on the depth chart.  Recruit Arkansas players harder than anyone else.  The ones that come, come.  The ones that don't, well, go to a different state and find someone better. 

Hook 'em Hogs

Quote from: #1 STUNNA on November 30, 2017, 03:35:47 pm
I agree... but to say its ok that these kids are going to other schools is unnaceptable... Arkansas needs all the help they can get. And until we get a head coach in that can win games and build some tradition we will continue losing kids to the power houses and schools on the same playing field as us. We need a coach that truly understands arkansas and wants to actually be at Arkansas... thats what it is gonna take...

No one's saying it's acceptable.  It's life.  ZERO college teams get every player they wanted.  If they did, Alabama would only hand out 25 scholarship offers a year. 

bphi11ips

Quote from: hogsanity on November 30, 2017, 03:18:19 pm
How many backs were they supposed to sign in the 2016 class?

One more.  Crockett was a 4-star ranked 9th in the country at his position and 3rd in Arkansas overall by Rivals.

More importantly, have you seen him or watched his video?  To put it mildly, Arkansas whiffed on Crockett.  I'm glad Whaley came to Arkansas, but his limitations are obvious and apparent on his high school film.  Water under the bridge.

As for character, Navy, Vandy and Yale offered Crockett.

ricepig

Quote from: #1 STUNNA on November 30, 2017, 03:35:47 pm

Petrino won and he didn't offer Dixon, you aren't going to get all of them....ever.

#1 STUNNA

Quote from: Hook 'em Hogs on November 30, 2017, 03:41:50 pm
No one's saying it's acceptable.  It's life.  ZERO college teams get every player they wanted.  If they did, Alabama would only hand out 25 scholarship offers a year. 

The difference is we arent Alabama... the cqan afford to lose players... Arkansas cant. We need a coach that wants to be here and creates great relationships with all the Arkansas high schools. We need what Mike Anderson is finally building with the basketball program.

#1 STUNNA

Quote from: ricepig on November 30, 2017, 03:44:00 pm
Petrino won and he didn't offer Dixon, you aren't going to get all of them....ever.

Every college missed on dixon besides La Tech.

ricepig

Quote from: bphi11ips on November 30, 2017, 03:42:38 pm
One more.  Crockett was a 4-star ranked 9th in the country at his position and 3rd in Arkansas overall by Rivals.

More importantly, have you seen him or watched his video?  To put it mildly, Arkansas whiffed on Crockett.  I'm glad Whaley came to Arkansas, but his limitations are obvious and apparent on his high school film.  Water under the bridge.

As for character, Navy, Vandy and Yale offered Crockett.

So, all the schools that offered Whaley, but didn't offer Crockett were clueless?? We needed linemen, both sides, that's why we didn't need another RB. No one bats 100%, fact.

Hog Fan...DOH!

Quote from: #1 STUNNA on November 30, 2017, 02:49:52 pm

Harold James- Alabama
Bret Smith- Tennessee
Matt Stoltz- Tennessee
Brett Helms- LSU
Slick Shelley- Tennessee
Ricardo Kemp- Tennessee
Bartley Webb- Notre Dame
Lee Ziemba- Auburn
Kodi Burns- Auburn
Broderick Green- USC
Derek Johnson- Texas
Jesse Grandy- Ole Miss
Michael Dyer- Auburn
Kiehl Frazier- Alabama
Mitch Hall- ole miss
Zac Brooks- Clemson
Altee Tenpenny- Alabama
Josh Frazier- Alabama
KJ Hill- Ohio State
Damarea Crockett- Mizzou
Akial Byers- Mizzou
Taylor Powell- Mizzou
BJ Thompson- Baylor
Tre Norwood- Oklahoma
Gerry Bohannon?

Of this entire list, which hilariously includes Broderick Green who transferred back, there are about 4 "elite" athletes.

LRHawg

We're talking like maybe 2-3 big misses during a 5+ year period. If we can effectively recruit nearby states then the years our in-state crop is good we will have something special, as CBP showed.

hogsanity

Quote from: #1 STUNNA on November 30, 2017, 03:46:19 pm
The difference is we arent Alabama... the cqan afford to lose players... Arkansas cant. We need a coach that wants to be here and creates great relationships with all the Arkansas high schools. We need what Mike Anderson is finally building with the basketball program.

You can have all the relationships you want with AR HS coaches, but if the state is producing 2 or 3 SEC LEVEL players a year, those relationships don't do much good. What you want to do is act like Arkansas can play elite football with just Arkansas players, and that IS NEVER GOING TO BE THE CASE.

bphi11ips

Quote from: ricepig on November 30, 2017, 03:47:20 pm
So, all the schools that offered Whaley, but didn't offer Crockett were clueless?? We needed linemen, both sides, that's why we didn't need another RB. No one bats 100%, fact.

Was Whaley from Little Rock?