Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Proud FAN - 1st post

Started by HOGney Dangerfield, November 23, 2012, 11:59:07 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

HOGney Dangerfield

Ok guys. I have been on here for a little bit and am looking for some help and REAL INFO to go along with some of my thoughts/opinions....

First of all my "sources" are reporting all of these "sources" are BS!

Second, I feel Long is an ok AD. He proved that to me by his passion for the school (and some fear sticking his head out) when firing Petrino, who I loved and practically worshiped as a coach. If we end up with the likes of Franklin, it doesn't mean he is a bad AD, it may just mean nobody else WANTED to come....

JG- I fell for the rumors/reports as many have. I believed (but still skeptical) the rumors on him coming, although him meeting with Jones/Long in Dallas, Petrino in Louisville, seeking advice/info on recruiting, Long getting a huge raise (timing of), and even CBS.com, NFL.com, Peter King on PTI (which was edited out of "5 Good Minutes") and Adam Schefter seemed to be more than just smoke. I know he likes the attention but this seemed more than just smoke. He can easily get big time recruits but would probably jump ship in 4 years and we would be back here again. = Amazing hire for a little bit, but better dominate or we will suffer in long term.

Gus - No. He hasn't been a HC long enough eventhough he probably can recruit people bc he was a HS coach before. = Eh hire

G Patterson - I love the idea but they just moved to B12 (which sucks) so he may want to finish out his initial goals now in a legit conference. = Great hire

C. Peterson - I think he is a great coach but he seems to love the West and being the big fish in an extremely small and inadequate conference, regardless if they go to Big East or stay in MW. Only beat OU bc of trick plays really, but a W is a W. = Great hire

Cowher - said once retired he would return to coaching as a College HC if anything after he spent time with family. Great record and had good offenses and defenses in Pitt. Does have a relationship with Long but doesn't necessarily mean he is coming. I believe he would recruit as well as Gruden and would stay for the long haul = Amazing hire for long term.

Franklin - People seem to be down on him but think about this....we NEED recruiting, he was Top 30 last year at VANDY!!! and is currently Top 15 this year eventhough it is still early. He has taken Vandy to a new level and almost beat us last year, a year when we finished 5th. They should have beaten SC as well this year which could of meant a 8-9 win season at VANDY! He seems to be legit guys and eventhough it wouldn't be the big name I think he could deliver if given time. = Good hire

Butch - well he recruits and leaves and the schools end up with sanctions. John Calipari anyone? = poor hire, possible long term problems.

What info have you guys heard that seems to be legit? Who seems to be out? Or is the UofA more like a high school and gossips and spreads rumors all the time? If they done land a big name this "smoke" is a bad PR move and a black eye I believe.

Here's to many more posts. Bottoms up.

BoynamedWooPigSooie

Not enough spelling and grammar errors.   TROLL!!!!!!!!!!   Ban him!
Hogville's resident uniform designer.

zmarchbank

Finally a sensible post about Jeff Long. People on here act like if we don't get Gruden or someone comparable, it's because Jeff Long is such a bad AD that he didn't even try or screwed it up somehow. Give me a break. Regardless of the firing of petrino/hiring of JLS/hire to come, Long still got petrino and Anderson here and he's done a ton for our facilities. We've become a top ten most valuable football program under his time as an AD. He's acceptable at the very worst.

Also like what you said about Franklin. If for some reason we're doing a coaching search again in five years, I have a feeling people would be begging for James Franklin to be the coach. What he's doing at Vandy is spectacular.

hoggnthesec

If JL sucks so bad,why did Stanford want him ?

SixtySecondsOfPitino

Quote from: hoggnthesec on November 24, 2012, 12:23:03 am
If JL sucks so bad,why did Stanford want him ?

The same reason they wanted Hoover: both men oversee disasters.

Hawg Life

Quote from: SECsBEST_HOGS on November 23, 2012, 11:59:07 pm
Ok guys. I have been on here for a little bit and am looking for some help and REAL INFO to go along with some of my thoughts/opinions....

First of all my "sources" are reporting all of these "sources" are BS!

Second, I feel Long is an ok AD. He proved that to me by his passion for the school (and some fear sticking his head out) when firing Petrino, who I loved and practically worshiped as a coach. If we end up with the likes of Franklin, it doesn't mean he is a bad AD, it may just mean nobody else WANTED to come....

JG- I fell for the rumors/reports as many have. I believed (but still skeptical) the rumors on him coming, although him meeting with Jones/Long in Dallas, Petrino in Louisville, seeking advice/info on recruiting, Long getting a huge raise (timing of), and even CBS.com, NFL.com, Peter King on PTI (which was edited out of "5 Good Minutes") and Adam Schefter seemed to be more than just smoke. I know he likes the attention but this seemed more than just smoke. He can easily get big time recruits but would probably jump ship in 4 years and we would be back here again. = Amazing hire for a little bit, but better dominate or we will suffer in long term.

Gus - No. He hasn't been a HC long enough eventhough he probably can recruit people bc he was a HS coach before. = Eh hire

G Patterson - I love the idea but they just moved to B12 (which sucks) so he may want to finish out his initial goals now in a legit conference. = Great hire

C. Peterson - I think he is a great coach but he seems to love the West and being the big fish in an extremely small and inadequate conference, regardless if they go to Big East or stay in MW. Only beat OU bc of trick plays really, but a W is a W. = Great hire

Cowher - said once retired he would return to coaching as a College HC if anything after he spent time with family. Great record and had good offenses and defenses in Pitt. Does have a relationship with Long but doesn't necessarily mean he is coming. I believe he would recruit as well as Gruden and would stay for the long haul = Amazing hire for long term.

Franklin - People seem to be down on him but think about this....we NEED recruiting, he was Top 30 last year at VANDY!!! and is currently Top 15 this year eventhough it is still early. He has taken Vandy to a new level and almost beat us last year, a year when we finished 5th. They should have beaten SC as well this year which could of meant a 8-9 win season at VANDY! He seems to be legit guys and eventhough it wouldn't be the big name I think he could deliver if given time. = Good hire

Butch - well he recruits and leaves and the schools end up with sanctions. John Calipari anyone? = poor hire, possible long term problems.

What info have you guys heard that seems to be legit? Who seems to be out? Or is the UofA more like a high school and gossips and spreads rumors all the time? If they done land a big name this "smoke" is a bad PR move and a black eye I believe.

Here's to many more posts. Bottoms up.

Solid assessment. Well written. Must be a troll. Ha Ha. I don't agree with your assessment of Butch Davis I think Butch would be a safe hire that would do a great job, Blake was guilty not Davis.

redeye

Unlike many on here, I do consider Franklin a big-time hire and I also think he already has that level of respect from much of the media. I'm not saying this because I want him, specifically, but he's one of many who I would consider a good catch.

Football fans love making assumptions and that's what they're doing when saying that Gruden or Cowherd would be great recruiters. Recruits are certain to be impressed with their celebrity status, but that one thing isn't going to make them great recruiters, by itself.  They may turn out to be great recruiters, but people are making some big assumptions when thinking they will be for certain.

Everyone thought that Petrino would also be a great recruiter, because everyone wants to play for a winner, right? Well, I do think he recruited fairly well, but I also think there's a good reason why many don't consider him a great recruiter today. The point here is that we shouldn't treat assumptions as facts.