Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Why would Gundy come here?

Started by EastTNHog, November 01, 2017, 09:50:24 am

Previous topic - Next topic

EastTNHog

I keep seeing his name pop up.  Why would he come to a tougher conference and have to build a new team for a similar paycheck?  Doesn't make sense to me.

ipigsooie

He wouldn't.  People are delusional.

DeltaBoy

He is the king of T Boone Pickens U. and is going no where.
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

Michael D Huff AIA

He was going to be our HC 5 years ago up until 15 minutes prior to the Bret Bielema introduction.

Well, he was going to be our HC according to certain Hogvillian sources out there.

I would propose that whoever predicts correctly our next coach get some sort of reward.  Automatic moderator status?

rzrbaxfan

EastTNHog

Quote from: Michael D Huff AIA on November 01, 2017, 09:57:29 am
He was going to be our HC 5 years ago up until 15 minutes prior to the Bret Bielema introduction.

Well, he was going to be our HC according to certain Hogvillian sources out there.

I would propose that whoever predicts correctly our next coach get some sort of reward.  Automatic moderator status?
That's a penalty.

FineAsSwine

Hogs up! Covid down!

nwahogfan1

He would have to really want to leave his current job much like CBB. 

East Clintwood

Because Gruden wore a red tie last week.
Any dog can be a seeing eye dog if you don't care where you're going.

Like  blows - Bring back Karma

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: EastTNHog on November 01, 2017, 09:50:24 am
I keep seeing his name pop up.  Why would he come to a tougher conference and have to build a new team for a similar paycheck?  Doesn't make sense to me.

Rumors a few years ago it wasn't going perfectly him being T Boone's boy.  This is why coaches leave jobs sometimes.  Issues with admins or boosters or just wanting to get away from situations.  Why Gus may leave Jay Jacobs.  Why Mullen may not get hired at Florida but why he may leave MSU.  Why Bielema wanted to go out on his own. 

Speculation on Gundy now is a reach because his son is at UA.  But probably went to UA to get away from being Gundy's son at OSU or OU.

Gundy would probably build same program here he has at Ok St which may would win a few more than Bielema over time but would get steamrolled quite a bit too considering the recruiting base doesn't change. 
Quote from: MaconBacon on March 22, 2018, 10:30:04 amWe had a good run in the 90's and one NC and now the whole state still laments that we are a top seed program and have kids standing in line to come to good ole Arkansas.  We're just a flash in the pan boys. 

Busta_Nutt

He does have a son currently at UA, FWIW...

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: Busta_Nutt on November 01, 2017, 10:06:15 am

Who may not want dad being head football coach at the university he attends. 
Quote from: MaconBacon on March 22, 2018, 10:30:04 amWe had a good run in the 90's and one NC and now the whole state still laments that we are a top seed program and have kids standing in line to come to good ole Arkansas.  We're just a flash in the pan boys. 

al_pigcino

2006-2012
CBB
68-24 3 BCS
MG
63-28 1 BCS

On paper I don't think we made a bad decision.

greasy_corner

Quote from: al_pigcino on November 01, 2017, 10:11:57 am
2006-2012
CBB
68-24 3 BCS
MG
63-28 1 BCS

*at that time

al_pigcino

I'm not justifying CBB being here.  I'm saying if you're going to do the hindsight thing it isn't fair to someone who on paper at the time had a home run hire. 

If we went by HV's logic everyone would be a millionaire for picking the lottery ticket up the day after the drawing. 

onebadrubi

I'm not real sure why people want him so bad.

tusksincolorado

Because Mullets are still a current fashion statement in Arkansas????
Screw it! I'm an old angry male, live with it!

BallHog1

P eople on Hogville
R eally thought Gundy would
J ump to the SEC from the B12 to be Arkansas' coach?

Gonzo

Quote from: rzrbaxfan on November 01, 2017, 09:57:34 am
Because he's 40!  He's a man!!

Well, He's 50! He's a (older) man now!   ;)                         Well played though, hah

Go Hogs!

King Kong

Well his son goes to school here and his doesn't get along with T Boone.

Other that not much. We do recruit better player and pay more for staff. But compared to the rest of the SEC we are subpar in those areas.

East Clintwood

Quote from: al_pigcino on November 01, 2017, 10:11:57 am
2006-2012
CBB
68-24 3 BCS
MG
63-28 1 BCS

If that's as far as you looked at it then yes, it looks like Bert was the better choice.

If you dug any deeper beyond the superficial though, Bert comes up short in nearly every category except writing letters to the AD.
Any dog can be a seeing eye dog if you don't care where you're going.

Like  blows - Bring back Karma

al_pigcino

Quote from: East Clintwood on November 01, 2017, 10:55:18 am

If that's as far as you looked at it then yes, it looks like Bert was the better choice.

If you dug any deeper beyond the superficial though, Bert comes up short in nearly every category except writing letters to the AD.
I don't understand.  CBB at the time just put up higher offensive totals than CBP did at the time (when we were considered at our highest level).  So he was the offensive coach we were looking for.  His school had just been to 3 consecutive BCS games.  I mean, I don't know what else you would have looked for in a coach at the time.........

mckinneyhog5

He didn't come here previously and he won't be coming here in the future. Personally, I'm happy about that.
Quote from: mckinneyhog5 on April 07, 2019, 10:29:55 pmGuys, we have hired the BEST coach that we could have hired. Musselman is gonna rock it here like we haven't seen since the early 90's. Just sit back and watch it unfold! We WILL be a nationally recognized program again soon.

ricepig

Quote from: mckinneyhog5 on November 01, 2017, 11:34:23 am
He didn't come here previously and he won't be coming here in the future. Personally, I'm happy about that.

Correct, he wasn't my choice then,wouldn't be it now.

parallaxpig

So he can show off his Arkansas Waterfall.....
noun: parallax<br />the effect whereby the position or direction of an object appears to differ when viewed from different positions,

twistitup

Gundy just uses us as leverage every 4-6 years
How you gonna win when you ain't right within?

Here I am again mixing misery and gin....

The Hawg Marshal

I doubt Gundy would even consider it at this point.

bkjbearcat

For the same reason Bert came here. To try to prove he can do it himself. Bert left Wis to get out of Papa Alverez shadow. Gundy almost took the job in Tenn in 2012, he wants to get out of T Boon's shadow.
B-E-A-R-C-A-T-S BEARCATS, BEARCATS GOOOOOOO BEARCATS!!!!!!!<br /><br />D2 National Champs in Football: 1998, 1999, 2009, 2013, 2015, 2016<br /><br />D2 National Champs in Mens Basketball: 2017, 2019, No.1 team in 2020,2021, 2022

bphi11ips

Quote from: onebadrubi on November 01, 2017, 10:20:15 am
I'm not real sure why people want him so bad.

Why would we want him at all?  OSU is the Ole Miss of the Big 12.
Life is too short for grudges and feuds.

Cotton

November 01, 2017, 12:11:43 pm #29 Last Edit: November 01, 2017, 01:35:57 pm by Cotton
Quote from: Busta_Nutt on November 01, 2017, 10:06:15 am
I'm gonna tell your dad that you're on here spreading rumors Little Gundy.  ;)
"Who got a Scantron for Ryan Mallet?"  - Ryan Mallet, 2009

Razorbacks in Mexico

Ponderin' SUX

BoynamedWooPigSooie

Quote from: ipigsooie on November 01, 2017, 09:54:09 am
He wouldn't.  People are delusional.

5 years ago it was a nice probability. Now, no chance.
Hogville's resident uniform designer.

Pig in the Pokey

i never believed it for a second, not that he wouldnt ever come here, just that it was a smokescreen quite obviously.

But I think the OP means it more in teh "Poor Arkinsaaaaw, wo is me!!!" vein.
You must be on one if you think i aint on one! ¥420¥   «roastin da bomb in fayettenam» Purspirit Gang

Grizzlyfan

Quote from: DeltaBoy on November 01, 2017, 09:55:48 am
He is the king of T Boone Pickens U. and is going no where.
T. Boone Pickens is the king of TBP university.  If/when Gundy gets tired of that he will be looking.

Hogarusa

I'll ride the wave where it takes me

Pigsknuckles

Wouldn't even be a lateral move.
"the ox is slow, but the Earth is patient"

cosmodrum

Go away, batin'

GoHogs1091

He probably wouldn't.

He really only has 2 tough games per season (OU and TCU).

Based on an usual relatively easy schedule OSU has, based on the high-level football facility they have (due to Pickens' donations), and based on having a very wealthy donor supporting you, Gundy has one of the most cushy Head Coach jobs in all of college football.

hawgon

T. Boone is 89 and has had several strokes.  Gundy has outlasted him.

Vantage 8 dude

Well as me know folks can say anything. Whether or not it makes sense is a totally different issue. In this case there's not a snow ball's chance in Tuscaloosa that Gundy is heading for Fayetteville. Absurd from start to finish.

Dwight_K_Shrute

Why the hell you think he has been growing the mullet?  He has been grooming himself for the day he can descend upon his throne as the King of Arkansas Football.  He's been signaling for years.  He calls the GD thing on his head the "Arkansas Waterfall"  How much more do you people need?
Little known fact, but prior to settling on Guantanamo, the Pentagon wanted to house terror suspects at War Memorial Stadium.  It was deemed to be cruel and unusual punishment and in violation of the Geneva Convention.