Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Has Arkansas ever beaten a Heisman winner?

Started by Sweet Feet, March 05, 2018, 11:00:18 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Sweet Feet

Im trying to think back and i know they did once, but i can't remember. Did they beat earl campbell back in the 70s?

pignparadise

"The race is long.. and in the end it's only with yourself.....", Baz Luhrman "Sunscreen"

SemperHawg

I'm gonna go ahead and count it as a win against Tebow in the Swamp even thought Marc Curles came in and over ruled a win.

hoggusamoungus

Quote from: Sweet Feet on March 05, 2018, 11:00:18 am
Im trying to think back and i know they did once, but i can't remember. Did they beat earl campbell back in the 70s?

Billy Sims played for OU in the Orange Bowl and won it the next year.

Razor1997

Quote from: SemperHawg on March 05, 2018, 11:14:43 am
I'm gonna go ahead and count it as a win against Tebow in the Swamp even thought Marc Curles came in and over ruled a win.

Same deal with Cam Newton except it was taken away by the replay crew.

steveaustin69

Quote from: Razor1997 on March 05, 2018, 11:30:33 am

Auburn beat us by 22. We gave up 65 points. But yeah. The refs and replay crew.

SemperHawg

Quote from: steveaustin69 on March 05, 2018, 11:35:18 am
Auburn beat us by 22. We gave up 65 points. But yeah. The refs.
But not the Florida one...That was a hose job of immense proportions.

steveaustin69

Quote from: SemperHawg on March 05, 2018, 11:38:03 am

Did I say it wasn't?

SemperHawg

Quote from: steveaustin69 on March 05, 2018, 11:38:44 am
Did I say it wasn't?
Absolutely not... just getting that in there.  Comparing the Aubbie game against Newton and what went on in the swamp in 2011 are not even in the same atmosphere.

redleg

Arkansas beat Andre Ware of Houston in 1988 and 1989.
They beat Billy Sims and OU in the 1978 Orange Bowl.
That's it. Just those 2.
If it ain't broke, fix it till it is.

elksnort

Quote from: Razor1997 on March 05, 2018, 11:30:33 am
Cam Newton ran over and around our defense. Like him or not, he was a great college QB.

Exit Pursued by a Boar

Quote from: elksnort on March 05, 2018, 12:20:22 pm
Cam Newton ran over and around our defense. Like him or not, he was a great college QB.
Mostly over.

elksnort

Quote from: SemperHawg on March 05, 2018, 11:38:03 am
I have never been more pissed off at refereeing in all my years of watching sports. Marc Curles and crew should have never refereed every again at any level.

elksnort

Quote from: redleg on March 05, 2018, 11:47:39 am
Arkansas beat Andre Ware of Houston in 1988 and 1989.
They beat Billy Sims and OU in the 1978 Orange Bowl.
That's it. Just those 2.
Yes, but Billy Sims did not win the Heisman in 1977 season.

AHiD

Quote from: elksnort on March 05, 2018, 12:23:10 pm
I have never been more pissed off at refereeing in all my years of watching sports. Marc Curles and crew should have never refereed every again at any level.

Didn't Bo get on his show and deny we had been hosed?
My name...is Jerruh

SooieGeneris

Quote from: steveaustin69 on March 05, 2018, 11:35:18 am
Auburn beat us by 22. We gave up 65 points. But yeah. The refs and replay crew.

That game was not as bad as the UF game "officiated" by Curles and crew. Not saying we would have won, but that game was much closer than a 22 point margin if officiated in a competent way.

Aubarn was given a defensive TD on a "fumble" by Brod Green that was clearly NOT a fumble. They fumbled inside the 5 yard line, we recovered, incorrectly called not a fumble. 2 plays would have turned it into an 8 point margin. Nick Fairley, the dirtiest player in recent CFB history, threw Mallett to the ground way after the whistle. No call. Tyler Wilson played well, but had little game experience.

You make it sound like that game was a rout when it clearly was not, at least not if officiated competently. We were not the only team hosed when playing Aubarn that year. Georgia and even 'Bama got hosed to pave the way for $cam Newton and crew to make it to the NCG.

We probably wouldn't have beaten them, but UGA might have and 'Bama would have without help from the refs.
An Old OL coach who's team couldn't block a hat last season... If things aren't MUCH better this fall,  enjoy Hot Springs Sammy!

swinemaster

Arkansas beat USC in 1974.  Did Anthony Davis win the Heisman?  I don't remember.

(notOM)Rebel123

Quote from: swinemaster on March 05, 2018, 12:32:16 pm
Arkansas beat USC in 1974.  Did Anthony Davis win the Heisman?  I don't remember.

No. Lost out to Archie Griffin.  It in 1974, Heisman ballots were due before the end of the season. So the votes were cast before Davis & USC's last game vs Notre Dame. In that game, he scored 4 TD's, including a 102 yd kickoff return. USC trailed 24-0 at one point but came back to win 55-24. Plus, the week before Davis had 195 yds rushing vs UCLA.
"Knowledge is Good"....Emil Faber

elksnort

Quote from: Arkansas Hog in Dallas on March 05, 2018, 12:25:21 pm
Didn't Bo get on his show and deny we had been hosed?
I did not listen to Bo regularly in 2009. I don't dislike Bo at all. I do think he has the best show, but frankly, if he did deny that the Hogs getting hosed, then he is simply wrong.

And let me tell you, I am one of the least complainers about referees on this board.

The Riley Cooper play, our defensive line man (from Atlanta) getting called for personal foul, and what else? Huge attempt to keep Timmy in the running.

PORKULATOR

We beat a Heisman finalist from Ucky. Tim Couch.... Anyone??? Anyone?
Lol, huge nfl bust after 1st overall pick.
Everytime I reach a goal or achieve something new in life, someone's beat me there and wrote f♡€% you all over it - JD Salinger
I've got a fever and the only perscription...  is more cowbell.- THE Bruce Dickenson.

Inhogswetrust

That was the first year Archie Griffin won it at Ohio State.
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

steveaustin69

Quote from: SooieGeneris on March 05, 2018, 12:25:48 pm
That game was not as bad as the UF game "officiated" by Curles and crew. Not saying we would have won, but that game was much closer than a 22 point margin if officiated in a competent way.

Aubarn was given a defensive TD on a "fumble" by Brod Green that was clearly NOT a fumble. They fumbled inside the 5 yard line, we recovered, incorrectly called not a fumble. 2 plays would have turned it into an 8 point margin. Nick Fairley, the dirtiest player in recent CFB history, threw Mallett to the ground way after the whistle. No call. Tyler Wilson played well, but had little game experience.

You make it sound like that game was a rout when it clearly was not, at least not if officiated competently. We were not the only team hosed when playing Aubarn that year. Georgia and even 'Bama got hosed to pave the way for $cam Newton and crew to make it to the NCG.

We probably wouldn't have beaten them, but UGA might have and 'Bama would have without help from the refs.

49 rushing attempts for 330 yards (6.7 YPC) and 6 TDs. We got whipped.

Watch:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WKX6ie54yBI&t=1m36s

Green is not down.

elksnort

Quote from: PORKULATOR on March 05, 2018, 12:43:45 pm
We beat a Heisman finalist from Ucky. Tim Couch.... Anyone??? Anyone?
Lol, huge nfl bust after 1st overall pick.
Did Couch win it? I don't think he did.

But my wishes came true when David Barrett picked him off to turn the tide in that game.

GoHogzzGo

Success isn't permanent and failure isn't fatal.

(notOM)Rebel123

Quote from: Inhogswetrust on March 05, 2018, 12:45:06 pm
That was the first year Archie Griffin won it at Ohio State.

They changed when ballots were due the following year.

BearsBisonsBoars

Quote from: elksnort on March 05, 2018, 12:20:22 pm

He's a great NFL QB too, IMO

26.2Hog

Quote from: (notOM)Rebel123 on March 05, 2018, 12:51:34 pm

Should have beaten Jim ker-Plunkett and Stanford in Little Rock, but Montgomery was tackled just short of the goal line.

We did win the halftime battle of the bands, though.

Busta_Nutt

He didn't, however, he did win the AP Player of the Year and the Naismith Award in 2012.

Paul

Quote from: Busta_Nutt on March 05, 2018, 01:22:41 pm
He didn't, however, he did win the AP Player of the Year and the Naismith Award in 2012.
So bad it's good!

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: (notOM)Rebel123 on March 05, 2018, 12:51:34 pm

Doesn't matter since Davis didn't win it at all.
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

DeltaBoy

Quote from: steveaustin69 on March 05, 2018, 12:47:04 pm
49 rushing attempts for 330 yards (6.7 YPC) and 6 TDs. We got whipped.

Watch:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WKX6ie54yBI&t=1m36s

Green is not down.

You Sir are a Closet Tigger2 fan.  He was down.
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

wildturkey8

HBTHogs

Quote from: DeltaBoy on March 05, 2018, 02:46:24 pm

Yes, he was definitely on the ground.  And anyone who remembers watching the game (I was there), instead of just quoting stats that don't always tell the whole story, we got hosed.  Bad.

Green was down so take that TD away from them.  Also, when they fumbled on the goal line we scooped and scored, but they said it wasn't a fumble and gave them the TD.  So take that one away and give us ours and we're basically even.  The refs screwed us, I don't care what Cam's stats were.  And, oh by the way, if you want to talk stats... we out-gained them by almost 100 yards.

steveaustin69

March 05, 2018, 04:10:28 pm #33 Last Edit: March 05, 2018, 04:22:22 pm by steveaustin69
Quote from: DeltaBoy on March 05, 2018, 02:46:24 pm

Knees don't touch, butt doesn't touch, forearm doesn't touch.

You sir are just a homer.

Pig in the Pokey

Quote from: SooieGeneris on March 05, 2018, 12:25:48 pm

refs were worth a 3 TD swing in that game all damn day.
You must be on one if you think i aint on one! ¥420¥   «roastin da bomb in fayettenam» Purspirit Gang

steveaustin69

Quote from: HBTHogs on March 05, 2018, 04:06:49 pm
Yes, he was definitely on the ground.  And anyone who remembers watching the game (I was there), instead of just quoting stats that don't always tell the whole story, we got hosed.  Bad.

Green was down so take that TD away from them.  Also, when they fumbled on the goal line we scooped and scored, but they said it wasn't a fumble and gave them the TD.  So take that one away and give us ours and we're basically even.  The refs screwed us, I don't care what Cam's stats were.  And, oh by the way, if you want to talk stats... we out-gained them by almost 100 yards.

And we had 3 turnovers to zero. If we flip the plays in question guess what? We still lost the turnover battle and the margin is now 8 points.

hawginbigd1

Quote from: steveaustin69 on March 05, 2018, 04:23:44 pm
And we had 3 turnovers to zero. If we flip the plays in question guess what? We still lost the turnover battle and the margin is now 8 points.
The last 2 turnovers came out of desperation once the replay jobbing, my contention is that there is not one replay angle that shows body not touching and ball out. He may have fumbled or he may not have fumbled. THE CALL THEN, IS HE DID NOT FUMBLE. The replay ref was one of our old SWC nemesis referees that I can't remember his name. That game was ours without the 2 bad replay calls.

steveaustin69

Quote from: hawginbigd1 on March 05, 2018, 04:32:09 pm
The last 2 turnovers came out of desperation once the replay jobbing, my contention is that there is not one replay angle that shows body not touching and ball out. He may have fumbled or he may not have fumbled. THE CALL THEN, IS HE DID NOT FUMBLE. The replay ref was one of our old SWC nemesis referees that I can't remember his name. That game was ours without the 2 bad replay calls.

Do you not know how replay works? The call then is what was called on the field. 

Ragnar Hogbrok

Quote from: steveaustin69 on March 05, 2018, 04:45:30 pm
Do you not know how replay works? The call then is what was called on the field. 

Can you find the Alma Sonic?
"Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats." ― H.L. Mencken

Hogville prediction formula:

1.  Insert bad news prediction. A loss, a recruit going elsewhere, a coach leaving, etc.
2.  Tag "hope I'm wrong," on the end.
3a.  Enjoy a correct prediction.
3b.  Act like you're relieved you're wrong and celebrate with everyone else.

steveaustin69

31to6

HognitiveDissonance

Quote from: elksnort on March 05, 2018, 12:23:10 pm
I was actually at this game.
It was eerie the feelings that changed during that game.
Going in, the thought was having no idea what was going to happen....could very well be a blowout...but just enjoying a visit to the Swamp. So the trip would be a 'success' for that reason alone.

However, as the game transpired, and Florida kept trying to fumble it away, and Arkansas bringing the wood, the feeling slowly morphed into 'hey, we're definitely not going to be embarrassed today'.

Then it became 'dang...we actually have a chance to win this game'

Then it became 'dang...we actually are going to win this game. I can't believe it'.

Then right after the long TD pass to Childs to go up by a TD, the whole stadium knew Fla was in serious trouble, as it was midway through the 4th quarter, their offense had sputtered all day, and there seemed to be little chance they were going to march down the field and tie the game.

Then came all the flags flying all over the place. Three separate controversial calls on that one drive. As someone said, 'the refs just weren't going to be denied'

I wasn't that upset at the time. It just seemed odd. Later I realized how the game had been taken over by the officials, but not at the moment. As it's happening live, it wasn't occurring to me right away due to not seeing all the replays and stuff how bad it was.

I do remember the Florida radio folks after the game even commenting on the 'cheesy calls'. Everyone knew it was bad, even their own people.

OneTuskOverTheLine™

Quote from: elksnort on March 05, 2018, 12:47:09 pm
Did Couch win it? I don't think he did.

But my wishes came true when David Barrett picked him off to turn the tide in that game.
Loudest day of my life... If DWRRS ever gets that loud they will have to replace glass.
Quote from: capehog on March 12, 2010...
My ex wife had a pet monkey I used to play with. That was one of the few things I liked about her

quote from: golf2day on June 19, 2014....
I'm disgusted, but kinda excited. Now I'm disgusted that I'm excited.

(notOM)Rebel123

March 06, 2018, 09:29:24 am #44 Last Edit: March 06, 2018, 09:40:39 am by (notOM)Rebel123
Quote from: Inhogswetrust on March 05, 2018, 02:44:33 pm
Doesn't matter since Davis didn't win it at all.

He may have very well won it over Griffin had the last two regular season games been considered. The ballots were due in NY the Tuesday following the next to last game of the year.
The mail traveled pretty slow in 1974. 

redeye

Quote from: steveaustin69 on March 05, 2018, 04:23:44 pm

I think Green probably was down, but Newton definitely fumbled before reaching the endzone.  Fairley clotheslined Mallett right in front of the ref, causing Mallett to leave with an injury, but no call.  Wilson played great, but he also threw 2 interceptions that Mallett probably wouldn't have thrown.  I still think we'd have won that game if not for the refs.

Bacons Rebellion

Quote from: 26.2Hog on March 05, 2018, 01:08:10 pm
Should have beaten Jim ker-Plunkett and Stanford in Little Rock, but Montgomery was tackled just short of the goal line.

We did win the halftime battle of the bands, though.

Lots of close calls. We lost to John David Crow (A&M) 7-6, Davey O'Brien (TCU) 21-14), Plunkett, Earl Campbell, 13-9 (missed face mask call),  We beat SMU in 1946, but Doak Walker had taken the year off for the Army.