Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Redbird Rundown IX

Started by clutch, April 05, 2015, 01:50:00 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

pigture perfect

Former Cards joe Kelly and Allen Craig had good days for the Red Sox today. Kelly got the win and Craig made a great sliding grab in right.
The 2 biggest fools in the world: He who has an answer for everything and he who argues with him.  - original.<br /> <br />The first thing I'm going to ask a lawyer (when I might need one) is, "You don't post on Hogville do you?"

clutch

Nice win today in an exciting game. Gives the Cards their 13th consecutive 3 game series win dating back to last season.

jrulz83

Quote from: clutch on April 12, 2015, 04:24:49 pm
Nice win today in an exciting game. Gives the Cards their 13th consecutive 3 game series win dating back to last season.

Anybody that says baseball is boring needed to see this game.
Lenin is cautiously optimistic.

pigture perfect

That was a great game. Watching Royals/Angels now. Love the bench clearing conversations.
The 2 biggest fools in the world: He who has an answer for everything and he who argues with him.  - original.<br /> <br />The first thing I'm going to ask a lawyer (when I might need one) is, "You don't post on Hogville do you?"

popcornhog

That was a heart attack of a game. Wow. I really liked what I saw from Car Mart -- I hope that by year's end he has the ability to consistently go deeper though. That's kind of been my problem with him as a starter.

Not sure what to think of  Villanueva.
WPS

jrulz83

Quote from: popcornhog on April 12, 2015, 05:21:55 pm
That was a heart attack of a game. Wow. I really liked what I saw from Car Mart -- I hope that by year's end he has the ability to consistently go deeper though. That's kind of been my problem with him as a starter.

Not sure what to think of  Villanueva.

I can tell you what to think of Villanueva. He wasn't great, he walked too many, he ate the necessary innings, he didn't allow any runs, he did enough to get the win. The last phrase is the important part, outside of 3 walks, he was almost exactly what you want your swingman to be.

8 walks surrendered by the Cardinals pitching staff is too many and something they need to control better.

The big thing with C-mart is control, he walked two today. That's bothersome but he kept it from crushing him. 6 innings, 8k's, 4 hits, 2ER, good enough in my book. The only other thing that concerns me are the two homeruns he gave up, but coming in that bandbox of a stadium, I don't think it's much to be concerned with.

dacskc

Looks like a nice crowd for opening day festivities. Wish I was there.

jrulz83

Quote from: dacskc on April 13, 2015, 02:48:14 pm
Looks like a nice crowd for opening day festivities. Wish I was there.

How many of these dummies are going to forget to shake the Hall of Famers hands?  :)

dacskc

At least three, haha, you think they forgot to tell the new guys?

jrulz83

Quote from: dacskc on April 13, 2015, 03:45:13 pm
At least three, haha, you think they forgot to tell the new guys?

Reynolds, Grichuk, Heyward.... Belisle and Villanueva got it right, maybe it was a position player problem?

It seems most probable to me that the problem is Matheny.  :)

popcornhog

Tough loss. Left too many in base and didn't make enough plays.
WPS

clutch

Quote from: popcornhog on April 13, 2015, 09:58:19 pm
Tough loss. Left too many in base and didn't make enough plays.

If an opposing pitcher throws over 100 pitches in less than 6 innings you have to capitalize.

popcornhog

Quote from: clutch on April 13, 2015, 10:02:14 pm
If an opposing pitcher throws over 100 pitches in less than 6 innings you have to capitalize.

Yeah. We had like 9 or 10 hits plus a good number of walks. Probably should've scored 7 runs.
WPS

pigture perfect

I hate off days in the early season. That is all.

popcornhog

Quote from: pigture perfect on April 15, 2015, 12:47:07 am
I hate off days in the early season. That is all.

I absolutely do not understand the mid series off days with the back-to-back game days during travel.

I get that the schedule can't avoid it sometimes, but it seems to be happening more of late.
WPS

jrulz83

Quote from: popcornhog on April 15, 2015, 05:35:53 pm
I absolutely do not understand the mid series off days with the back-to-back game days during travel.

I get that the schedule can't avoid it sometimes, but it seems to be happening more of late.

The one yesterday was in case of a rain out for the home opener. The schedule will normalize now that all the openers are out of the way, I think we get 17 straight starting tonight.

popcornhog

Well you hate seeing Grichuk, Carpenter, J Hey go down in order there.
WPS

popcornhog

Heart attack of a ninth. But a win is a win.

Rosie is good but really could be great.
WPS

jrulz83

Rosenthal just can't have a shutdown inning. He always has to make it interesting. I think he threw about 25 pitches to get through the ninth tonight. He can't continue pitching that way and have the season or career that he's capable of. It's so very frustrating watching him go 3-0 to hitters.

clutch

Quote from: jrulz83 on April 15, 2015, 10:28:22 pm
Rosenthal just can't have a shutdown inning. He always has to make it interesting. I think he threw about 25 pitches to get through the ninth tonight. He can't continue pitching that way and have the season or career that he's capable of. It's so very frustrating watching him go 3-0 to hitters.

Especially since he showed us what he was capable of just a few years ago. I don't know what it is about Cardinals closers.

popcornhog

Sounds like Lackey pitched well today.

WPS

jrulz83

Quote from: popcornhog on April 16, 2015, 06:40:52 pm
Sounds like Lackey pitched well today.

He was very good. I was glad to see Wong make a couple nice plays in the field, and it was good to see four guys have 2 hits a piece. This offense still isn't on track (4 runs), but there are good signs (11 hits). Heyward looks to be pressing a bit at the plate.

jrulz83

With the Reds manager saying Heyward made a "dirty play" on the slide at third in the last series and Cueto pitching tonight, what are the odds that things get interesting tonight? Hopefully somebody steals Cueto's spikes.....

clutch

Quote from: jrulz83 on April 17, 2015, 12:22:30 pm
With the Reds manager saying Heyward made a "dirty play" on the slide at third in the last series and Cueto pitching tonight, what are the odds that things get interesting tonight? Hopefully somebody steals Cueto's spikes.....

Flashbacks to how things were a few years ago with Yadi/Phillips

popcornhog

Just boarded the plane to Saint Louis -- about to make my first games of the season.

Unfortunately we can't stay late Sunday to see Waino pitch. But at least it's an espn game.
WPS

jrulz83

Quote from: clutch on April 17, 2015, 12:59:32 pm
Flashbacks to how things were a few years ago with Yadi/Phillips

I like it when rivalries get heated. I don't like suspensions and injuries that often result from taking it too far, but the Baker/La Russa series were great.

popcornhog

Inside an hour from first pitch!
WPS

popcornhog

WPS

pigture perfect

I love popping Cueto and the Reds. Guess who's in first?

popcornhog

Quote from: pigture perfect on April 17, 2015, 09:37:11 pm
I love popping Cueto and the Reds. Guess who's in first?

Damn straight. When Yadi hit that 3 RBI double the place got LOUD.
WPS

pigture perfect

Cueto is a dominant pitcher, but the Cards seem to have his number. Let's call it the LaRue curse!

dacskc

jrulz83

popcornhog

Even with the Blues in the playoffs and playing at home today it was a pretty full house this afternoon.

Got to see two nice wins this weekend, wish I could stay to see Waino tomorrow.

WPS

pigture perfect

Did I see that today's win ensures 14 straight series wins against the Reds? That's awesome if true.

clutch

Quote from: pigture perfect on April 18, 2015, 06:27:15 pm
Did I see that today's win ensures 14 straight series wins against the Reds? That's awesome if true.

Yes, 14 straight 3 game series wins dating back to last season.

popcornhog

Carlos Martinezwith two good starts now.

Carpenter continuing to tear it up.

And Matt Adams breaking out of his early season slump at the plate.

Not a bad day at the park.
WPS

jbell96

Cards have allowed 24 runs in 11 games, and 10 of those runs were scored in two games vs the Reds at Coors Field Ohio. I know we won't keep it up, but so far I'm very impressed with how well we've pitched.

popcornhog

Quote from: jbell96 on April 20, 2015, 09:54:24 am
Cards have allowed 24 runs in 11 games, and 10 of those runs were scored in two games vs the Reds at Coors Field Ohio. I know we won't keep it up, but so far I'm very impressed with how well we've pitched.

I agree 100%. It's been even more impressive given the number of base runners we've allowed.

Through two weeks (which admittedly doesn't mean much), our pitching has been among the best in baseball, if not THE BEST.
WPS

jrulz83

Wow, what a 9th inning that was!

Free baseball.  :puke:

popcornhog

Quote from: jrulz83 on April 21, 2015, 09:32:17 pm
Wow, what a 9th inning that was!

Free baseball.  :puke:

I had been listening on the radio as I was driving to Lincoln, NE. I got to watch the 8th - 10th.

Tough loss. How many left on base? Like 14? 1 run on 12 hits w/ 14 LOB won't cut it. It seemed like a lot of two out hits were putting the first base runner on.

How about Matt Holliday though. I believe he was 4/4 with the lone rbi.

Props to Lance Lynn, too.

Jay had a couple of nice grabs in CF.

These guys are fun to watch. Lots of hits even in a 1 run game.

I'll tell ya -- I'm not sold on Villanueva.
WPS

pigture perfect

Yeah, I hate when our starters pitch well enough to win and don't because we can't score.

jrulz83

Quote from: popcornhog on April 21, 2015, 11:16:54 pm
I had been listening on the radio as I was driving to Lincoln, NE. I got to watch the 8th - 10th.

Tough loss. How many left on base? Like 14? 1 run on 12 hits w/ 14 LOB won't cut it. It seemed like a lot of two out hits were putting the first base runner on.

How about Matt Holliday though. I believe he was 4/4 with the lone rbi.

Props to Lance Lynn, too.

Jay had a couple of nice grabs in CF.

These guys are fun to watch. Lots of hits even in a 1 run game.

I'll tell ya -- I'm not sold on Villanueva.

Yeah, I didn't like bringing Villanueva in to a tie game in extra innings, but with the team playing a bunch of games in a row here I feel like Matheny was trying to save some guys. Ultimately Villanueva gave up the winning homerun, but if there ever was a team loss that game was it.

You hit on the real reason for the loss, the offense. They couldn't figure out how to string several runs together against Gio Gonzalez. It's not because they didn't have their chances, but when they got their chances with somebody in scoring position the ninth spot in the order was at the plate 4 times.

A trend that I'm seeing continue from last season (and this is pure conjecture, opinion, and speculation) is that the offense goes as Matt Carpenter goes. If he gets shut down it seems like the whole offense is lost.

The big positive is the starting rotation. A collective 1.88 era through 12 games, that's the lowest in the Majors and the only sub 2.00 era in MLB. With the team in first place at 8-4, I can't complain too much.

popcornhog

Quote from: pigture perfect on April 22, 2015, 12:04:13 am
Yeah, I hate when our starters pitch well enough to win and don't because we can't score.

The good news is that I don't expect that to happen a lot this year.
WPS

popcornhog

Matt Caroenter starts things off with a lead off bomb then Fister gets 3 straight.

1-0 headed to the bottom of the 1st for Lackey.
WPS

popcornhog

Werth with a two out double in the 3 spot.

Lackey looking good early though.
WPS

popcornhog

Lackey strikes Harper out swinging with a full count.

2 K's one hit and one left on base in the top of the 1st.

Perralta, Jay, and Yadi to lead off the 2nd.
WPS

popcornhog

Two out base hit for Yadi.
WPS

popcornhog

WPS

popcornhog

Lackey grounds out to 3rd.

Two 2 out hits for the Cards. Wong's two run bomb puts the good guys up 3-0 headed to bottom 2nd.
WPS