Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Redbird Rundown VIII

Started by Hogtropolis™, March 02, 2014, 01:59:04 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

pigture perfect

Yeah, sure hate that Bryan passed. He was a great writer in my opinion.
The 2 biggest fools in the world: He who has an answer for everything and he who argues with him.  - original.<br /> <br />The first thing I'm going to ask a lawyer (when I might need one) is, "You don't post on Hogville do you?"

jrulz83

Cardinals picked up their right handed bench/first base/power bat; Mark Reynolds. Reportedly for $2 million plus  incentives.

http://www.vivaelbirdos.com/2014/12/11/7377673/st-louis-cardinals-free-agent-rumors-signing-mark-reynolds

Lenin is cautiously optimistic.

pigture perfect

Just pulled out the book by Bryan Burwell, "The best St. Louis Sports Arguments". 100 most controversial and debatable questions for die-hard fans. Really good stuff. Like I said earlier, I hate to hear of his passing.
The 2 biggest fools in the world: He who has an answer for everything and he who argues with him.  - original.<br /> <br />The first thing I'm going to ask a lawyer (when I might need one) is, "You don't post on Hogville do you?"

Ray Piggers

Jason Heyward.

Overall, I like it. What say you?
I'm basically Darkwing Duck

jbell96

Motte signed with the Cubs.

The Boar War

pigture perfect

A.j signed with the Bravo's

dhornjr1

Quote from: Ray Piggers on December 14, 2014, 04:43:06 pm
Jason Heyward.

Overall, I like it. What say you?

I'll have to take the wait and see approach.

dhornjr1

Quote from: jbell96 on December 16, 2014, 12:35:05 pm
Motte signed with the Cubs.

I hate that. I was hoping he could come back and be the closer again. I had much more faith in him than Isringthal...I mean, Rosenhausen.

mhuff

Okay, Molina did not hit another HR after he messed up his thumb. Is this going to affect him in the future. Felt it had to be related..... Need some power hitting.

clutch

Quote from: mhuff on December 27, 2014, 11:43:44 am
Okay, Molina did not hit another HR after he messed up his thumb. Is this going to affect him in the future. Felt it had to be related..... Need some power hitting.

It probably did affect his power last season. It should be healed up by now though and I expect his power to be back.

mhuff

Quote from: clutch on December 27, 2014, 01:53:52 pm
It probably did affect his power last season. It should be healed up by now though and I expect his power to be back.

Hope you are right brother. I also hope our new right fielder has a banner year.

ucahogfan

Quote from: mhuff on December 31, 2014, 12:21:07 pm
Hope you are right brother. I also hope our new right fielder has a banner year.
At some point, you would think a player with J-Hey's talent at the plate will explode.  He is still young at only 25 and stands to make 200M+ with a solid year at the plate.

What is certain with J-Hey, you're getting the best defensive OF in baseball, an elite base runner, and a guy who gets on base.  Really sucks that we traded him to y'all, but getting a player like Shelby Miller for several years is almost certainly better than what we would have gotten with the comp pick in the draft.

The one thing I would be worried about as a Cards fan is his track record.  His WAR in odd number years (2011, 2013) is about half what it is in even number years (2010, 2012, 2014).  A lot of that is probably due to injuries he suffered during those years, but you never know.  The scary thing is that he has been worth 6 wins without having a breakout year at the plate.  He could be worth 8-9 wins or more living up to his potential at the plate while sustaining every thing else he does.

Horsesrus

Cards signed Lynn to 3 year deal for $22 million, $23.5 possible with incentives.  Takes him through his 3 arbitration years but doesn't buy out any free agent years.

jrulz83

Quote from: Horsesrus on January 15, 2015, 01:19:54 pm
Cards signed Lynn to 3 year deal for $22 million, $23.5 possible with incentives.  Takes him through his 3 arbitration years but doesn't buy out any free agent years.

Good deal, provides some security and leaves flexibility for the "payroll muscle" we keep hearing about but have yet to see flexed.

Starting depth is a little thin for the Cardinals, maybe Jaime Garcia returns to form, but you can't count on him, Wacha is returning from injury, Wainwright's fatigue issues (or whatever smiley face they put on it), Carlos Martinez is an unknown, and Marco Gonzalez is still a bit young. The need for a dependable arm is there. I sense a disturbance in the force, something I haven't felt since......... Ray Lankford was traded.

dhornjr1

Quote from: jrulz83 on January 15, 2015, 04:34:49 pm
Good deal, provides some security and leaves flexibility for the "payroll muscle" we keep hearing about but have yet to see flexed.

Starting depth is a little thin for the Cardinals, maybe Jaime Garcia returns to form, but you can't count on him, Wacha is returning from injury, Wainwright's fatigue issues (or whatever smiley face they put on it), Carlos Martinez is an unknown, and Marco Gonzalez is still a bit young. The need for a dependable arm is there. I sense a disturbance in the force, something I haven't felt since......... Ray Lankford was traded.

Are you saying we're getting Woody Williams back?

jrulz83

Quote from: Imminent Rueage on January 15, 2015, 06:55:47 pm

Difficult to see, shrouded in the Mozeliak the future is.

clutch

Quote from: Imminent Rueage on January 15, 2015, 06:55:47 pm

Funny. Just finished Larussa's book "3 nights in August" and there was a lot of woody Williams talk. Took me back.

pigture perfect

Great deal on Lynn. I think it was fair for both sides.

DeltaBoy

Can't wait for Pitchers and Catchers to report!!!
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

jrulz83

pigture perfect

mhuff

February 04, 2015, 08:20:55 pm #1323 Last Edit: February 15, 2015, 06:46:37 pm by mhuff
Quote from: popcornhog on February 02, 2015, 08:57:32 pm
Love that story.

Well, Puig is like women I go out with. They, know quality when they see it.    ;D

mhuff

Quote from: mhuff on February 04, 2015, 08:20:55 pm
Well, Puig is like women I go out with. They know quality when they see it.    ;D

clutch

Grichuk and Pham both off to really good starts this spring.

jrulz83

Quote from: clutch on March 08, 2015, 04:56:16 pm
Grichuk and Pham both off to really good starts this spring.

Yep, and Lynn went out today with a hip flexor.  :'(

Rocky&Boarwinkle

Have we started a new season thread yet?

jrulz83

http://www.stltoday.com/sports/baseball/professional/cardinal-beat/grichuk-kozma-complete-cards--man-roster/article_ab2a6025-016a-547e-9c5b-740970a611ec.html

Opening day 25 man roster:

STARTERS (5): RHP Adam Wainwright, RHP Michael Wacha, RHP Lance Lynn, RHP John Lackey, and RHP Carlos Martinez.

BULLPEN (7): RHP Trevor Rosenthal, RHP Jordan Walden, RHP Matt Belisle, RHP Seth Maness, RHP Carlos Villanueva, LHP Randy Choate, and LHP Kevin Siegrist.

CATCHERS (2): Yadier Molina and Tony Cruz.

INFIELDERS (6): 1B Matt Adams, 2B Kolten Wong, 3B Matt Carpenter, SS Jhonny Peralta, 1B/3B Mark Reynolds, UT Pete Kozma.

OUTFIELDERS (5): LF Matt Holliday, CF Jon Jay, RF, Jason Heyward, OF Peter Bourjos, and OF Randal Grichuk.

WMHawgfan

I like the addition of Heyward. Hitters can be stubborn but he has taken it upon himself to adjust and cut down on his swing, which means he understands he needs to change some things to stay in the big league. I know he is a lefty but he kind of reminds me of Mark Whitten.