Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Choke job Andy Reid strikes again.

Started by DoubleReedHawgCaller, January 06, 2018, 06:57:48 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

DoubleReedHawgCaller

A couple female midgets, a few bottles of Wild Irish Rose, and a room at the Trout Inn...... who knows what may happen.....

devildog

There were plenty of chokers to go around. Alex Smith is not good when it matters, period. That was a pitiful display in the 2nd half, enough to make you feel sorry for the management and fans of KC Chiefs.

bennyl08

Cheifs got hosed multiple times by the refs in that game.

Still no excuse for the conservative playcalling in the second half. However, if the correct calls were made, cheifs would have won.

That game was about on par with us vs Aub in 2010 with the blatant errors on the fumble calls.
Quote from: PorkSoda on May 05, 2016, 09:24:05 pm
damn I thought it was only a color, didn't realize it was named after a liqueur. leave it to benny to make me research the history of chartreuse

holeinthewall

I am just glad we don't have to see those ugly ass colors on TV next week.  KC has now lost 6 consecutive home games in the play offs. LMAO

EastexHawg

Yesterday is a perfect example of why the Chiefs traded up and into the top ten to get Patrick Mahomes.  Alex Smith is a bus driver who can't step up and become a difference maker in the playoffs. 

Of course...Andy Reid bears a lot of responsibility, too.  Will he look back, say to himself "what I've been doing isn't working", and turn Mahomes and the offense loose at crunch time?  We'll see.

Atlhogfan1

Fun to watch. Titans are an average team which made the choke even better. 
Quote from: MaconBacon on March 22, 2018, 10:30:04 amWe had a good run in the 90's and one NC and now the whole state still laments that we are a top seed program and have kids standing in line to come to good ole Arkansas.  We're just a flash in the pan boys. 

bennyl08

Quote from: EastexHawg on January 07, 2018, 08:33:52 am
Yesterday is a perfect example of why the Chiefs traded up and into the top ten to get Patrick Mahomes.  Alex Smith is a bus driver who can't step up and become a difference maker in the playoffs. 

Of course...Andy Reid bears a lot of responsibility, too.  Will he look back, say to himself "what I've been doing isn't working", and turn Mahomes and the offense loose at crunch time?  We'll see.

Alex Smith was far from the reason the Chiefs lost. 250+ yards and 8+ ypa in the NFL is way beyond bus driver. Smith had 264 yards, at nearly 73% completion % and 8 ypa.

What lost the game for KC was the OL. 4 sacks given up and only paving the way for 3.8 ypa for Hunt.

On the flip side, what won the game for Tenner (other than the ref's terrible calls on the fumbles) was their OL paving the way for 6.8 ypc for Henry.

When you can't run the ball and you can't stop the other team from running, you are almost never going to win the game.

Smith is rated 6th all time in career playoff qb rating. He's not Tom Brady, but thinking he's just a bus driver shows a lack of knowledge of what he has actually done.
damn I thought it was only a color, didn't realize it was named after a liqueur. leave it to benny to make me research the history of chartreuse

EastexHawg

Quote from: bennyl08 on January 07, 2018, 06:31:58 pm
Alex Smith was far from the reason the Chiefs lost. 250+ yards and 8+ ypa in the NFL is way beyond bus driver. Smith had 264 yards, at nearly 73% completion % and 8 ypa.

What lost the game for KC was the OL. 4 sacks given up and only paving the way for 3.8 ypa for Hunt.

On the flip side, what won the game for Tenner (other than the ref's terrible calls on the fumbles) was their OL paving the way for 6.8 ypc for Henry.

When you can't run the ball and you can't stop the other team from running, you are almost never going to win the game.

Smith is rated 6th all time in career playoff qb rating. He's not Tom Brady, but thinking he's just a bus driver shows a lack of knowledge of what he has actually done.

Yes, Smith is an outstanding QB who is not the reason the Chiefs went scoreless in the second half to blow an 18 point lead.  That's why he is now 1-4 in playoff games and winless in Arrowhead.  It's also why the Chiefs organization traded away two first round picks to move up and draft Mahomes... because they are just fine at the QB position with Smith when the playoffs start.

You should be an NFL general manager.  You know more about the Chiefs than they do. 

DeltaBoy

We changed the channel at half time and watched something else then when the other game came on we were shocked KC had lost.
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

bennyl08

Quote from: EastexHawg on January 07, 2018, 07:16:43 pm
Yes, Smith is an outstanding QB who is not the reason the Chiefs went scoreless in the second half to blow an 18 point lead.  That's why he is now 1-4 in playoff games and winless in Arrowhead.  It's also why the Chiefs organization traded away two first round picks to move up and draft Mahomes... because they are just fine at the QB position with Smith when the playoffs start.

You should be an NFL general manager.  You know more about the Chiefs than they do.

I should warn you that some material scientists are coming over to your house in a bit because they want to learn more about the densest organic matter known man...

Somehow you interpret that Smith didn't lose this particular game for them and that he isn't a game manager qb to mean that he is an elite qb who should never be replaced.

Heck, Jay Cutler is a qb who has lost many games in his career. However, he too is not a game managing, bus driving quarterback. He's a gunslinger who lacks consistency. Plenty of games in his career, you can say that Cutler lost his team the game because of his mistakes. Plenty of other games, Cutler has played fantastic and was in no way shape or form the reason his team lost. Fun fact, all of that is true AND if I was the general manager of a team that had Cutler as my starting qb, I'd be looking to find a new one because Cutler's inconsistencies will likely lead him to never playing in a super bowl much less winning.

In your defense, the first five years of his career, Alex Smith was in fact a game manager. Never pushed the ball downfield, never hit over 7.0 ypa, one season he barely hit 60% completion. Never had a winning record. He truly was a bus driving qb. That was a well earned and well established reputation of Smith. Perhaps that impression of him stuck on you and you haven't paid attention at all since then. In terms of being clutch, website I found showed that Smith's qb rating from 09-11, Smith was one of the least clutch qb's in the NFL with a rating of just under 60 when his team was trailing in the 4th. Again, perhaps that's the impression you have of him and back then, he was a bad qb. However, from 12-14, his qb rating jumped to over 90.

As for the 18 point lead given up, how  about that 21 point lead that Tom Brady gave up to the Bills of all teams 2 years ago? He gave up a 17 point lead to Manning and the colts in 2009 and an 18 point playoff lead to the same in 2007. Do you honestly consider Matt Ryan to be a qb that the Falcons need to replace because of the super bowl? Austin Allen was easily the best qb in the SEC in 2016 and finished the season giving up a big halftime lead in back to back games. It's a team game. A lot of those big leads given up falls on the coaching staffs.

Even if this post, much less any of my other posts, you won't see any argument of me saying that the chiefs can't do any better with a different qb than Smith. Arguing that he was far from being the reason the chiefs lost this specific game ≠ saying he has never been the reason the chiefs have ever lost a game. There are about 20 teams that would love to have Alex Smith over their own starter, but there's still about 10 teams that wouldn't dare trade. Green Bay drafted Rodgers in the first round getting ready to replace Favre. Favre still had some stellar years after being supplanted (and GB ownership treated Favre the same way Jerry Jones treated Romo, SF treated Montana, and so on and so forth). Chiefs seem to think that Mahomes is ready to take the reigns given that they've publicly announced being open to trading Smith. Mahomes has a higher ceiling than Smith so they are wise to give him a shot.

DeltaBoy

I love it cause I don't like Andy Reid.
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.