Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

V Grambling

Started by flippinhogmana, December 26, 2017, 02:31:46 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

flippinhogmana

Game this Thursday at home.  Game will also be carried live on SEC network.

First a look at Grambling's schedule so far

AT  LOUISIANA TECH L, 53-64

VS  LOUISIANA-MONROE W, 61-52

AT  XAVIER L, 67-72

VS  #17 FLORIDA STATE L, 53-96

AT  MCNEESE STATE W, 75-60

VS  SOUTHEASTERN LOUISIANA W, 61-52

AT ALABAMA L, 49-73

AT  ARKANSAS STATE L, 56-76

VS  NORTH CAROLINA L, 63-79

AT  MEMPHIS L, 48-57

As you can see their overall record so far is 3-7.  They have some height (6-2 and 6-3) but they dont play very many minutes and they dont score a lot when they do.  Their five best scorers are guards led by their number one scorer (Shakyla Hill, a 5-7 guard) who is from Little Rock Hall HS.

They have played some very significant teams including Florida State, and Alabama.  They appear to play decently on the road (they beat McNeese State on the road and played Xavier close on the road).  They got about as demolished against FSU at home at we did on the road to ASU.  Among other things this game might give us somewhat of a barometer of how we might do against Bama as they lost to them by 24 on the road.
Like the erstwhile Clark Kent, my true identity is shielded.  I am an author, Nathan J. Allison is my pen name.

flippinhogmana

it will also be good 'therapy' for the team to get back on the court.
Like the erstwhile Clark Kent, my true identity is shielded.  I am an author, Nathan J. Allison is my pen name.

flippinhogmana

Last year at this time we had the same record 8-4 as we do now, but we were teams headed in different directions.  I dont like to look ahead too much, but if we beat Grambling Thursday and IF we beat Ole Miss at home - I see a team that can win 10 games (in looking at the schedule, who they have played, how they have played, etc) in conference. 

I do not say we WILL win ten games, just that we can.  I think we will be a team that plays better on the road than we have in years.  Now looking even further ahead, next year even though we wont have more height to speak of (we will lose Cosper but inherit Gaulden and Dungee) we will be capable of beating teams like A&M.  We will be stronger at guard and our bigs will have grown up on more year.  Next year you better not snooze on us.

flippinhogmana

broadcast time thirty minutes away

flippinhogmana

grambling will start four guards and a 6-3 girl
the hogs lineup will be the same, monk, mason, cosper, zimmer and williams

flippinhogmana

and the broadcast is beginning, tipoff about to happen

flippinhogmana

grambling controls the tip and shoots an airball three
monks drives and is foul by Grambling's 6-3 post player, shoots fts,hits the first and misses the second, 1-0 hogs

flippinhogmana

both teams have two turnovers in the opening minutes
mason hits a three on a feed from Monk and its 4-0 hogs

flippinhogmana

cosper takes on two players driving for a layup and is called for a charge
hogs seem intent on driving the ball, monk nearly called for a charge and throws it away
grambling with a three and now its 4-3 hogs
cosper shoots, misses williams with an offensive rebound and stick back 6-3 hogs
at the six minute mark, subs come in RnB for one

flippinhogmana

swinson and thomas in as well
hogs have five TOs and grambling three

flippinhogmana

hogs a little lazy and let grambling get behind them for a layup
but cosper answers with a three, 9-6 hogs

flippinhogmana

grambling hits a three and Swinson answers 12-8

flippinhogmana

at 3:17 media timeout, the score is 12-8 hogs
hogs with five turnovers still, tigers with four
mason, swinson and cosper with three points, williams with two and monk with one point

flippinhogmana

williams with four boards, two of them offensive
swinson hits her second three, 15-8 hogs
tigers answer, 15-11

JHicks3636

Thanks for doing this flippin
+1

flippinhogmana

1:09 to play kind of sloppy game lots of turnovers, still 15-11 hogs

flippinhogmana

you are welcome Hicks.  quarter ends 15-11 hogs.

JHicks3636

We didn't score in the last 3:10 of the quarter and Grambling didn't score in the last 2:48.

flippinhogmana

monk, williams, swinson and mason all with one assist
hogs now with seven tos, tigers with five
second q about to start

razCzar

December 28, 2017, 07:26:00 pm #19 Last Edit: December 28, 2017, 07:51:20 pm by razCzar
Appreciate the game thread, flippin!
Especially your opening remarks.

I have really become a big fan of CMN.

JHicks3636

flippinhogmana

cosper misses a jump shot on a curl but hits a three next trip down, 18-11

flippinhogmana

monk scores on a left hand drive, hogs by nine
Hill answers for the tigers, hogs by seven, 7:59 to go
tigers take a to

flippinhogmana

there were four fouls called on the tigers in the 1st, three on the hogs, most offensive

flippinhogmana

cosper with 8, swenson with 6
cosper drives off a swenson feed, for her tenth point, hogs back up by nine 22-13

JHicks3636

Williams already has 8 rebounds.

JHicks3636

Quote from: flippinhogmana on December 28, 2017, 07:29:11 pm
there were four fouls called on the tigers in the 1st, three on the hogs, most offensive
Yeah, I forgot they start over the foul count in each quarter.

flippinhogmana

williams with another offensive rebound, and will go to the line, misses both
mason with a drive and a great dish to williams for the bucket, 24-13

JHicks3636

Williams up to 10 rebounds

flippinhogmana

willaims with a miss, get her own rebound and sticks it in, with the ft coming, has ten rebounds already, misees the ft, 26-13
mason hits a three, 29-13

flippinhogmana

the tigers with a couple of buckets, 26-17

flippinhogmana

sorry 31-17
monk at the line, hits hits both, hogs up 34-17, but then tigers hit a three 34-20

JHicks3636

Williams gets subbed out with 13 rebounds

flippinhogmana

cosper hits another three, 37-20 hogs with 1:28 to go

flippinhogmana

subs playing a lot in the second quarter, stout, weaver, spangler and Rnb all in

flippinhogmana

40-23 at the half
cosper with 11, mason, swinson, williams and Rnb with six, monk with five

flippinhogmana

mason and cosper with two fouls, no one else with more than one
monk with four tos, cosper with two (one an offensive foul)
williams with 13 boards (eight of them offensive), Rnb and Mason with four
Weaver with three boards (two offensive)

JHicks3636

Made our last 3 free throws to get to 7-14(50%). Need to improve there. Grambling was 1-4. We were 1-11 on field goals at the end of the quarter(FG % at 35 for the game).

flippinhogmana

Quote from: JHicks3636 on December 28, 2017, 07:49:59 pm
Made our last 3 free throws to get to 7-14(50%). Need to improve there. Grambling was 1-4. We were 1-11 on field goals at the end of the quarter(FG % at 35 for the game).

williams isnt a good ft shooter, that was part of it, monk and cosper wasnt at their usual best especially to start.  Rnb shooting helped to lift the percentage too.

cosper missing two was not something you are going to see often, but Williams hasnt shot well all year.

flippinhogmana

hawgrunner

flippinhogmana

hogs shoot only 35 per cent from the field but 50 percent from the 3 pt line.  Thats unusual too, cosper 3-5, swinson 2-3, mason 2-3, stout and spangler 0-1, Rnb 1-3

flippinhogmana

hogs with fifteen offensive boards, williams 8, weaver two, northcross baker three, 2 team

flippinhogmana

williams hit a ft! and the second, 42-23

flippinhogmana

williams with eight points back to the line - makes one of two, hogs by twenty

flippinhogmana

tigers hit a bucket and monk answers with a short jumper, hogs by twenty, williams with another board, feeds monk who drives and is fouled, hits one of two, hogs by twenty one, with just over 7 minutes to go, tigers hit a three, cosper answers, hogs 50-30

flippinhogmana

hogs gamble on defense and tigers beat it for a bucket, hogs by 19, tigers TO  with 6:48 to go 3rd quarter.  Cosper now with 14 points, monk with nine, williams with nine

flippinhogmana

williams now with 15 boards
mason with her eight point (tigers score a couple of times too) 51-32 (either they posted the wrong score before or it should be 52-32)  its must have been a score correct, I see they took one point away from Monk, now with eight instead of nine.

flippinhogmana

thomas with a dish low from monk, 53-32, but tigers at the line, still same score after the line,
monk at the line now, hits the first and the second, now with ten points, 55-32

JHicks3636

Quote from: flippinhogmana on December 28, 2017, 08:12:40 pm
williams now with 15 boards
mason with her eight point (tigers score a couple of times too) 51-32 (either they posted the wrong score before or it should be 52-32)  its must have been a score correct, I see they took one point away from Monk, now with eight instead of nine.
At 50-30, they corrected  the score to 49-30.