Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

What is easier to understand: the NFL catch rule or rocket science?

Started by jbcarol, December 21, 2017, 09:10:13 am

Previous topic - Next topic

jbcarol

:

Point
QuoteJesse James took a risk stretching for the end zone before he officially became a runner or hit the ground. Don't blame the rule because he didn't bother to read the very simple explanation in the rulebook.

Counterpoint
QuoteSay what you will about physics and rocket science, at least most of it is based on fact. All in all, rocket science is actually pretty simple: If the greatest amount of thrust is put on an object in the shortest amount of time, it will launch. That is guaranteed. There is no room for interpretation.
Kim Jong Un says "Hi"

Curated SEC Infotainment and aggregated college sports updates where it just means more on Hogville.net

ArkyFan2626

Rocket science. Seems like the catch rule changes from game to game.

HiggiePiggy

Changes depending on team.  I believe with New England winning it gives them home field through out the playoffs. 
If a man speaks and no woman is around to hear him, is he still wrong?

Albert Einswine

Quote from: HiggiePiggy on December 21, 2017, 05:03:43 pm
Changes depending on team.  I believe with New England winning it gives them home field through out the playoffs. 

Only gives them the tiebreaker over Pittsburgh. They can't lose any games.
"Funny thing, I become a hell of a good fisherman when the trout decide to commit suicide." ~ John D. Voelker

HiggiePiggy

Quote from: Albert Einswine on December 21, 2017, 05:08:03 pm

Only gives them the tiebreaker over Pittsburgh. They can't lose any games.

I'm feeling pretty good that patriots will win out. Last 2 games are at home against 8-6 Bills and 5-9 jets. 

While the Steelers have 4-10 Texans and the mighty 0-14 Browns.  I'm betting both will win out and because of this bs call patriots will have home field

Albert Einswine

Quote from: HiggiePiggy on December 21, 2017, 06:23:03 pm
I'm feeling pretty good that patriots will win out. Last 2 games are at home against 8-6 Bills and 5-9 jets. 

While the Steelers have 4-10 Texans and the mighty 0-14 Browns.  I'm betting both will win out and because of this bs call patriots will have home field

Well, it's not a BS call, it's the rule. Player has to survive the ground. Can't hit the ground and lose control of the ball.
"Funny thing, I become a hell of a good fisherman when the trout decide to commit suicide." ~ John D. Voelker

bennyl08

Quote from: Albert Einswine on December 21, 2017, 06:33:14 pm

Well, it's not a BS call, it's the rule. Player has to survive the ground. Can't hit the ground and lose control of the ball.

Well, it simultaneously is and is not a BS call. Call it Schrodinger's Rule if you will.

Looking at the James catch's with Pitt, Bryant with the Cowboy's in the playoffs ew years back, and Calvin Johnson's, they all have similar things in common.

On the one hand, they all pretty clearly had control of the ball with their hands and made a "football move" with their hands after the catch. However, at the same time, they didn't have control of the rest of their bodies which were still falling/tumbling as a direct result of them going out for said catch.

So, it becomes essentially a clash of two competing rules. Can you make a football move when you only have control of your arms but not the rest of the body?

Most would agree somebody who's diving for a catch and has control of the ball while in the air, but loses control upon hitting the ground wouldn't have made the catch. The only real difference here is whether or not reaching with the ball before you hit the ground or before you have finished tumbling is somehow different.

Stretching the ball forward has always been a risky thing to do in football.
Quote from: PorkSoda on May 05, 2016, 09:24:05 pm
damn I thought it was only a color, didn't realize it was named after a liqueur. leave it to benny to make me research the history of chartreuse

RebelliousHog

Quote from: bennyl08 on December 22, 2017, 02:27:25 pm
Well, it simultaneously is and is not a BS call. Call it Schrodinger's Rule if you will.

Looking at the James catch's with Pitt, Bryant with the Cowboy's in the playoffs ew years back, and Calvin Johnson's, they all have similar things in common.

On the one hand, they all pretty clearly had control of the ball with their hands and made a "football move" with their hands after the catch. However, at the same time, they didn't have control of the rest of their bodies which were still falling/tumbling as a direct result of them going out for said catch.

So, it becomes essentially a clash of two competing rules. Can you make a football move when you only have control of your arms but not the rest of the body?

Most would agree somebody who's diving for a catch and has control of the ball while in the air, but loses control upon hitting the ground wouldn't have made the catch. The only real difference here is whether or not reaching with the ball before you hit the ground or before you have finished tumbling is somehow different.

Stretching the ball forward has always been a risky thing to do in football.
Schrodingers?

How many people even know what that is? I'll bet more , now that everyone who read that post looked it up.
"Some there are who are nothing else than a passage for food and augmenters of excrement and fillers of privies, because through them no other things in the world, nor any good effects are produced, since nothing but full privies results from them."<br />―Leonardo da Vinci

bennyl08

Quote from: HenduHog on December 22, 2017, 08:27:54 pm
Schrodingers?

How many people even know what that is? I'll bet more , now that everyone who read that post looked it up.

Pretty sure most people have at least a passing familiarity with his cat.
Quote from: PorkSoda on May 05, 2016, 09:24:05 pm
damn I thought it was only a color, didn't realize it was named after a liqueur. leave it to benny to make me research the history of chartreuse

Kneph13

That was a catch and should have been downed where his knee was.   That stupid reaching with the ball move should be done away with.
There is no Political Correctness in war

HiggiePiggy

Quote from: Kneph13 on December 25, 2017, 08:54:24 am
That was a catch and should have been downed where his knee was.   That stupid reaching with the ball move should be done away with.

In college you are down when you fall. Not in the nfl. 

Bubba's Bruisers

The call was correct.  I'm sure the NFL will relook at the rule in the offseason.
I will put enmity between you and the woman, and between your offspring and her offspring; he shall bruise your head, and you shall bruise his heal.

Genesis 3:15

DeltaBoy

If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.