Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

aTm Game depth chart

Started by ricepig, September 18, 2017, 10:09:38 am

Previous topic - Next topic

WilsonHog

I'm trying to connect the dots here.

My theory is this. We have a NFL guy as our offensive line coach, and he has installed a fairly complex system of calls and assignments. That position group doesn't exist in isolation; they are hand-in-hand with what Enos wants to run, which I think is also pretty complex. The end result is that we have a complex offensive system with a limited amount of practice time in which to get reps. That results in less experienced and physically gifted players getting the nod over veterans, who for whatever reason can't or won't learn the calls and assignments. Even some of the starters aren't completely solid on it, which is why we look slow off the football.

Were I the A&M DC, I would do just what TCU and FAMU did; stack the box and bring pressure from everywhere, counting on our o-line to not be in sync and our QB still not trusting his receivers, who struggle to get separation, enough in the heat of a game to throw them open.

forrest city joe

Quote from: Rudy Baylor on September 18, 2017, 12:39:58 pm
a blue shirt is not a walkon

a walkon is not a blue shirt
Whatever. neither was a full scholarship player from the start like guys like Wallace,Merrick and Rodgers were. that's the point.Ty is not better than Brian Wallace in my opinion. no matter what they see in practice.practice is not a real game.

HognotinMemphis

Quote from: RyanMallettsEgo on September 18, 2017, 10:25:49 am
It's almost as if the coaches know the team and players better than the posters here know the team and players...

No, that can't be right. This forum is filled with college football experts.
Ryan, I note same. Seems that many commenters here have been at practice and focused particularly on the O-line and TE positions. They are unanimous in their opinion that the coaches do not know best. I wish the coaches would hold a weekly meeting with these amateur coaches and fans and take their input.
I don't want you to agree with me because you're weak. I want you to agree with me because you know I'm right.

hobhog

Quote from: ricepig on September 18, 2017, 12:39:10 pm
Because??

Not unique to UA as all high school and college do the same, but why are the back of end zone pylons 3 yards out of bounds, but corner pylons actually mark out of bounds accurately?  Makes no sense and is confusing to players in back of end zone (Cantrell).

GuvHog

Quote from: forrest city joe on September 18, 2017, 12:37:33 pm
I know both Gibson and Clary are on scholarship now. one was a walk on.and one was a blue shirt.there was a reason for that? no other team in the sec has that on their line. nobody but Arkansas.o do not get it.

Clary is not on scholarship at this point but will be in January which makes him a "Blue Shirt". Gibson earned a scholarship I believe as a Sophomore.

Clary is a Blue Shirt because his family can well afford to pay his tuition for 1 semester which allowed that scholarship to be used for another recruit. Hayden Henry is doing the same thing and will go on scholarship in January too.
Bleeding Razorback Red Since Birth!!!

Kevin

you have connected the dots.

blitz every down. our line will break down
Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you.<br />James 4:7
Reject Every Kind Of Evil 1 Thessalonians 5:22

HognotinMemphis

Quote from: forrest city joe on September 18, 2017, 12:27:42 pm
Enos is not the head coach.coach B is the one who should have the final say on these decisions. no other team in the sec has 2 walk on's starting in their OL. this speaks volumes.
No other team has 2 walk ons who are this good at playing the O line.
I don't want you to agree with me because you're weak. I want you to agree with me because you know I'm right.

Wildhog

Quote from: GuvHog on September 18, 2017, 12:44:00 pm
Clary is not on scholarship at this point but will be in January which makes him a "Blue Shirt". Gibson earned a scholarship I believe as a Sophomore.

Clary is a Blue Shirt because his family can well afford to pay his tuition for 1 semester which allowed that scholarship to be used for another recruit. Hayden Henry is doing the same thing and will go on scholarship in January too.

"Blue shirt" is a made up recruiting word for someone that walks on for a semester and goes on scholarship with the next class.

Clary is absolutely walking on this season.  He'll be a scholarship player next year.
Arkansas Razorbacks Football National Championships:
1909/1964/1965/1977

ricepig

Quote from: HoginMemphis on September 18, 2017, 12:42:59 pm
Ryan, I note same. Seems that many commenters here have been at practice and focused particularly on the O-line and TE positions. They are unanimous in their opinion that the coaches do not know best. I wish the coaches would hold a weekly meeting with these amateur coaches and fans and take their input.

See below.....

Quote from: forrest city joe on September 18, 2017, 12:42:58 pm
Whatever. neither was a full scholarship player from the start like guys like Wallace,Merrick and Rodgers were. that's the point.Ty is not better than Brian Wallace in my opinion. no matter what they see in practice.practice is not a real game.

onebadrubi

Quote from: Kevin on September 18, 2017, 12:32:47 pm
no matter who the player is, playing a young walk on is never a good look for a coach

You so sure of that?  Made USC look good this past weekend.

forrest city joe

Quote from: WilsonHog on September 18, 2017, 12:42:24 pm
I'm trying to connect the dots here.

My theory is this. We have a NFL guy as our offensive line coach, and he has installed a fairly complex system of calls and assignments. That position group doesn't exist in isolation; they are hand-in-hand with what Enos wants to run, which I think is also pretty complex. The end result is that we have a complex offensive system with a limited amount of practice time in which to get reps. That results in less experienced and physically gifted players getting the nod over veterans, who for whatever reason can't or won't learn the calls and assignments. Even some of the starters aren't completely solid on it, which is why we look slow off the football.

Were I the A&M DC, I would do just what TCU and FAMU did; stack the box and bring pressure from everywhere, counting on our o-line to not be in sync and our QB still not trusting his receivers, who struggle to get separation, enough in the heat of a game to throw them open.
Kurt Anderson is terrible. i don't need to see any more of his OL to have that opinion. what you posted may very well be true. but it is not working. his OL looks pitiful. in my opinion coach B should have done to him,what he did to Mike Markuson,when he was at Wisconsin.

HognotinMemphis

Quote from: ErieHog on September 18, 2017, 12:31:35 pm
This board is fantastic.

"Coach B only starts veterans.  Young guys never get reps."
*Inserts young guys*
"Our Veterans are either being short changed, or the coach is being stubborn,  or he's a terrible talent evaluator if these walk on guys are already the best option."

SMH.
78% of posters here are bi-polar.

GuvHog

Quote from: Wildhog on September 18, 2017, 12:44:52 pm
"Blue shirt" is a made up recruiting word for someone that walks on for a semester and goes on scholarship with the next class.

Clary is absolutely walking on this season.  He'll be a scholarship player next year.

Clary is a scholarship quality player who is "taking one for the team" because his family can afford the tuition for the first semester. He is far from a typical walkon as is Hayden Henry.

onebadrubi

Quote from: PorkRinds on September 18, 2017, 12:36:12 pm
What changes were everyone hoping to see?

It would take a level headed person to understand this, but It wouldn't be the first intentionally incorrect depth chart we've seen this year.  I can't remember who it was, maybe clary?, that he did not list on the opening day game chart but knew he was starting. 

jgphillips3

I love the "then go coach" responses.  Here's my analogy.  I know little about pouring a foundation.  However, if I go watch several different guys do it and one guys pours a perfect, solid foundation 9 times out of 10 and another guy messes up 4 out of ten where the pad is not level, the concrete cracks, the ground underneath susbsides, etc, then I can make a judgment about the quality of the work even if I don't myself know how to fix Bielema's crumbling foundations.  Similarly, a doctor who saves 95% of the people on an operating table versus 60%...etc.  You can use past results measured against others to form reasonable opinions without technical knowledge.

Wildhog

Quote from: GuvHog on September 18, 2017, 12:48:40 pm
Clary is a scholarship quality player who is "taking one for the team" because his family can afford the tuition for the first semester. He is far from a typical walkon as is Hayden Henry.

So he's walking on for a season?
1909/1964/1965/1977

forrest city joe

Quote from: HoginMemphis on September 18, 2017, 12:44:19 pm
No other team has 2 walk ons who are this good at playing the O line.
I hope this is you being sarcastic? because if what i saw these first 2 games is good. i would hate to see bad.

Kevin

when did we offer clary the blueshirt?
Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you.<br />James 4:7

rhames

LOL. No. People don't "take one for the team" in this scenario.

"I'm too drunk to taste this chicken"

"Can we get some waffles after we get some ass?" - Aunt Tiffany Freeman

Quote from: Hamdsome 1 on September 05, 2023, 06:43:26 pmSTHU. I get in more steps per day, at work, than you could possibly fathom.
The only down time my legs see is when seated in 1st Class.

GuvHog

Quote from: Wildhog on September 18, 2017, 12:49:27 pm
So he's walking on for a season?

Yep, just for this season so the scholarship that would have been his could be used to get another needed recruit. He will go on scholarship in January and be counted with next year's recruiting class..

Wildhog

Quote from: GuvHog on September 18, 2017, 12:52:33 pm
Yep, just for this season so the scholarship that would have been his could be used to get another needed recruit. He will go on scholarship in January and be counted with next year's recruiting class..

Exactly.  He'll be a scholarship player next year. 

I knew you'd get it, eventually.
1909/1964/1965/1977

rhames

Quote from: Wildhog on September 18, 2017, 12:52:52 pm

Wouldn't be on it

Quote from: Hamdsome 1 on September 05, 2023, 06:43:26 pmSTHU. I get in more steps per day, at work, than you could possibly fathom.

GuvHog

Quote from: rhames on September 18, 2017, 12:52:05 pm

LOL. No. People don't "take one for the team" in this scenario.

Wrong. That's exactly what he's doing. He could have been a scholarship player but agreed to allow his scholarship to be used to get another player and pay his own way for a semester with the guarantee that he will go on scholarship in January.

ricepig

Quote from: Wildhog on September 18, 2017, 12:52:52 pm

But.....had Brown not qualified, or someone else left,  he would have been a scholarship player this semester.

dhizzle

I need more SEC strain out of these guys.

Wildhog

Quote from: GuvHog on September 18, 2017, 12:55:20 pm

Wrong. That's exactly what he's doing. He could have been a scholarship player but agreed to allow his scholarship to be used to get another player and pay his own way for a semester with the guarantee that he will go on scholarship in January.

There weren't any more scholarships, Guv.  He decided to walk on for a semester so he could get a scholarship in the next class.
1909/1964/1965/1977

Wildhog

Quote from: ricepig on September 18, 2017, 12:56:05 pm
But.....had Brown not qualified, or someone else left,  he would have been a scholarship player this semester.

Ok?  Brown did qualify and Clary is walking on this semester, no?
1909/1964/1965/1977

GuvHog

Quote from: ricepig on September 18, 2017, 12:56:05 pm

Yep, that's exactly what would have happened.

Kevin

Quote from: GuvHog on September 18, 2017, 12:55:20 pm

on January 21st, he committed to Arkansas as a preferred walk on , no mention of him being a blue shirt. when was the blue shirt offer?

Dominicanhog

Been10Hog

Quote from: The_Iceman on September 18, 2017, 10:23:25 am
Agreed. You have Merrick, Wallace, Raulerson, and even the 3 freshmen that came in during the spring. You telling me a 6'3" 280lb true freshman is really the best option we have? Not buying it.
It's a conspiracy...... ::)

ricepig

Quote from: Wildhog on September 18, 2017, 12:58:15 pm
Ok?  Brown did qualify and Clary is walking on this semester, no?

That is correct.

Wildhog

"Blue shirt" is a relatively new term that popped into the recruiting lexicon in the last year or two.  This feels like Idiocracy where everyone keeps saying, "But it's got electrolytes," and no one has any idea what an electrolyte is.
1909/1964/1965/1977

GuvHog

Quote from: Wildhog on September 18, 2017, 12:57:14 pm
There weren't any more scholarships, Guv.  He decided to walk on for a semester so he could get a scholarship in the next class.

Wrong. They asked him to "Blue Shirt" so that the scholarship that would have been his could be used for another recruit. Since his family could well afford to pay tuition for the first semester, he agreed to do so with the guarantee that he would go on scholarship in January.

rhames

Quote from: GuvHog on September 18, 2017, 01:01:43 pm
Wrong. They asked him to "Blue Shirt" so that the scholarship that would have been his could be used for another recruit. Since his family could well afford to pay tuition for the first semester, he agreed to do so with the guarantee that he would go on scholarship in January.

Hahahaha. No.

If they wanted the kid bad enough they would had offered him a full ride

He isn't being nice to the staff

"OHHHH NO RAZABACK COACH YOU KEEP THAT SCHOLLY I WILL PAY MY OWN WAY. WOO PIG "

Wildhog

Quote from: GuvHog on September 18, 2017, 01:01:43 pm

This is very simple, Guv.  You tell me, yes or no... Does Clary have a scholarship right now?
1909/1964/1965/1977

GuvHog

Quote from: Kevin on September 18, 2017, 12:58:51 pm
on January 21st, he committed to Arkansas as a preferred walk on , no mention of him being a blue shirt. when was the blue shirt offer?

I don't know exactly but it was well before the season started.

GuvHog

rhames

Kevin

Quote from: GuvHog on September 18, 2017, 01:04:25 pm
I don't know exactly but it was well before the season started.

so you are saying when clary decided to come to Arkansas in January he knew he would have a scholarship the next January

Wildhog

Quote from: Kevin on September 18, 2017, 01:06:22 pm
so you are saying when clary decided to come to Arkansas in January he knew he would have a scholarship the next January

It's my understanding that yes, he did know that.

He's still walking on this semester.
1909/1964/1965/1977

ricepig

Quote from: Kevin on September 18, 2017, 12:58:51 pm

http://www.arklatexhomepage.com/news/hog-signee-ty-clary/648280104

SemperHawg

Look you can put all of the window dressing on it you want.  The definition of a blue shirt or why.  Here are the only dots I can connect.  We have a kid who is not on scholarship right now, that no other school in out conference saw clear to even offer a scholarship starting on our O-Line.  We also have an O-Line that is struggling.  I wouldn't even pretend to put the offensive line woes on Clary, there is no way it is his fault.  The only point some on here are trying to make is that to the un trained eye it would appear we are lacking the Jimmy's and Joe's along the offensive line. 

Kevin

ricepig

As did Gabe Richardson, but with Johnson not making it, he went on scholarship.

GuvHog

Quote from: Wildhog on September 18, 2017, 01:03:47 pm
This is very simple, Guv.  You tell me, yes or no... Does Clary have a scholarship right now?

At this point no, but he is guaranteed to go on scholarship in January which is why he is referred to as a "Blue Shirt", not a Walk on.

GuvHog

Correct.

Wildhog

Quote from: GuvHog on September 18, 2017, 01:08:56 pm
At this point no, but he is guaranteed to go on scholarship in January which is why he is referred to as a "Blue Shirt", not a Walk on.

But that's what blue shirt MEANS, GUV.  The term literally means you walk on for a semester and go on scholarship with the next class.
1909/1964/1965/1977

Kevin

former walk on-Gibson
current walk on-clary
former d- lineman-froholdt

redleg

Quote from: The_Iceman on September 18, 2017, 10:23:25 am
Agreed. You have Merrick, Wallace, Raulerson, and even the 3 freshmen that came in during the spring. You telling me a 6'3" 280lb true freshman is really the best option we have? Not buying it.
Clary has bulked up since his roster listing...he is now around 295 lbs. Do any of you "football experts" really think you know who to start better than Bielema and Anderson, who are actually coaches? Of course you do, what am I thinking!
If it ain't broke, fix it till it is.