Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Bielema #10 on Coaches Hot Seat

Started by NuttinItUp, September 06, 2017, 08:40:27 am

Previous topic - Next topic

hawgon

Quote from: NuttinItUp on September 06, 2017, 05:39:52 pm
I think I speak for everyone when I say: "Huh??"

Oh, just going on about someone you might know who used to tell a folksy story about building a fence over and over at every stop three or four years ago.

The OTR

Bielema isn't going anywhere, win or lose.  He's going to be eating lobsters 6-8 Sundays per year and serving half time peanut butter sandwiches for years to come.

OneTuskOverTheLine™

Quote from: niels_boar on September 06, 2017, 10:15:02 am
Based on what in week one?  Bama pounding FSU.  LSU overpowering a BYU team that lost 4 games by a total of 8 points last season.  USC beating an NC State team that was a trendy darkhorse in the ACC.  UF losing to a ranked team with 10 players suspended.  UGA easily got past 10-win Appalachian State. Vandy and UK defeated two CUSA teams that are projected at the top of their divisions.  Remember that La Tech gave us all that we wanted with their backup QB last year.  UT edged a Ga Tech team in Atlanta that was 9-4 last season and is very difficult to prepare for. A&M had to gag away a historic defeat in the Rose Bowl to the top QB in the nation in order to get an L.  Everybody else played cupcakes.  Until further notice, the SEC looked fine.

[/thread]
Quote from: capehog on March 12, 2010...
My ex wife had a pet monkey I used to play with. That was one of the few things I liked about her

quote from: golf2day on June 19, 2014....
I'm disgusted, but kinda excited. Now I'm disgusted that I'm excited.

gchamblee

Quote from: ricepig on September 06, 2017, 05:41:33 pm
Read like someone smoking cow patties......

Im pretty sure he is saying there are better jobs than fence building

He's saying that we are expanding a stadium for a need that doesn't exist.

Or get the Mexicans to pay for your fence. One of those.

ricepig

Quote from: Karma on September 06, 2017, 06:01:48 pm

1 suite out of 38 left for sale, and 20 of the 70 Loge boxes left. I'd say they've hit their market.

factchecker

Quote from: ricepig on September 06, 2017, 06:06:45 pm
1 suite out of 38 left for sale, and 20 of the 70 Loge boxes left. I'd say they've hit their market.

Those club seats will sell fast too.  Nice seats on the northside.
WORK FOR IT
PLAN ON IT
EARN IT
OMAHOGS

Wildhog

Quote from: ricepig on September 06, 2017, 06:06:45 pm

Yep.  The expansion was never about the average fan.
Arkansas Razorbacks Football National Championships:
1909/1964/1965/1977

NuttinItUp

Quote from: Wildhog on September 06, 2017, 06:14:10 pm

I think that as long as "they" are making more $$, "they" are probably happy about the expansion.

hawgon

Quote from: Karma on September 06, 2017, 06:01:48 pm

I'm saying I remember that stupid folksy story Bielema used to tell about building the fence the right way at every stop on the fish fry circuit in his first two years.  I always thought about the need to throw up a few strands to keep the cows out of the hay instead of striving for perfection.

RebHog

Quote from: niels_boar on September 06, 2017, 10:04:10 am
I'm not arguing for a coaching change at Arkansas, but it is insane that the media and everybody else is shocked that Tom Herman didn't get a 5-7 team turned around in game 1.  Plus, who knows how good Maryland is this season?  They were better than Purdue last year, and Purdue gave Louisville a game.  Completely irrational overreaction.  Texas should not have been ranked in the first place.

Agreed this is nuts that website having him 6 is crazy.....but then again its texas!!!!!    ;D ;D :D :) ::hornsdown::

WilsonHog

Quote from: Wildhog on September 06, 2017, 06:14:10 pm

Of course not; the "average fan" doesn't fit into the current business model.

Think about it this way. I am much, much closer to "average fan" status than I am luxury box status; I don't ever expect to be in one of those boxes unless someone invites me out of the goodness of their heart. However, my season tickets and RF contribution amount to a shade under $4,500 a year, which is just about the limit of what I can afford. You know what making that kind of investment guarantees? That win or lose, I'm pretty much going to every game. I halfway think we're going to lose Saturday, but I'm going to find a way to enjoy myself regardless of the outcome. With the money I have spent, I can't "afford" not to.

Multiply that several times over for the luxury suite guys. For the average fan, it's much easier to say, "piss on it. I'll go spend $600 on a plasma TV and turn that sumbitch off if we start getting hammered."

orvillesghost

Should be a gorgeous day for football, I plan to enjoy being up there and hope for a good game.

HawgTide

Quote from: hawgon on September 06, 2017, 01:44:42 pm
Bielema's leash ends at the exact spot Jeff Long has a little reason to question his own job security. 

Hogville, loves him, but I'm telling you that the average fan has already given up on Bielema. 

36,000 fans for a season opener might have begun to open some eyes up there.

You have it backwards

HamSammich

He was saying:
1) I have friends with really crappy stories
2) some people have dumb mottos
3) cows are ninjas

It was deep.

ChitownHawg

Here is his record and his first year really increases the loss column. So stating his overall record without mentioning the brutal first year is a bit misleading.

2013 - W = 3 L = 9
2014 - W = 7 L = 6
2015 - W = 8 L = 5
2016 - W = 7 L = 6
2017 - W = 1 L = 0
--------------------------------
All       - W = 26 L = 26
Last 3  - W = 22 L = 17

One complaint I remember Wiscy fans saying when he moved here is he will lose a game or two he should not. If he had won the last two games from last year then his record would be:

2014 - W = 7 L = 6
2015 - W = 8 L = 5
2016 - W = 9 L = 4

That is improvement each year. He SHOULD be there, but he doesn't get paid to SHOULD. I think CBB would agree with this.

All of this to say placing him in the #10 spot nationally is a writer looking for clicks.
PonderinHog: "My mother gave me a framed cross-stitch picture that reads, "You can tell a Hog fan, but you can't tell him much.  Go Hogs!" It's a blessing and a curse."  :razorback:

Klamath River Hog: " Is your spell check made in India?"

Quote from: WilsonHog on September 06, 2017, 06:55:43 pm
Of course not; the "average fan" doesn't fit into the current business model.

Think about it this way. I am much, much closer to "average fan" status than I am luxury box status; I don't ever expect to be in one of those boxes unless someone invites me out of the goodness of their heart. However, my season tickets and RF contribution amount to a shade under $4,500 a year, which is just about the limit of what I can afford. You know what making that kind of investment guarantees? That win or lose, I'm pretty much going to every game. I halfway think we're going to lose Saturday, but I'm going to find a way to enjoy myself regardless of the outcome. With the money I have spent, I can't "afford" not to.

Multiply that several times over for the luxury suite guys. For the average fan, it's much easier to say, "piss on it. I'll go spend $600 on a plasma TV and turn that sumbitch off if we start getting hammered."
This is really interesting. So you pay $4,500 a year for tickets and RF. Say you spend another $1,500 a year in gas, hotel, food directly related to going to games. That's $6,000 a year. The average household income in Arkansas is $40,500. Meaning it would cost 15% of a year's income for the average family to have season tickets.

Let's say that Hogville has 2X the average income (I wonder if board admins know the real number?), even then it's 7.5% of a year's pre-tax income. And as you say, that doesn't make you "big money" at all.

So regular game attendance is largely reserved for the top quarter in Arkansans income.

factchecker

Quote from: Karma on September 06, 2017, 07:43:11 pm
This is really interesting. So you pay $4,500 a year for tickets and RF. Say you spend another $1,500 a year in gas, hotel, food directly related to going to games. That's $6,000 a year. The average household income in Arkansas is $40,500. Meaning it would cost 15% of a year's income for the average family to have season tickets.

Let's say that Hogville has 2X the average income (I wonder if board admins know the real number?), even then it's 7.5% of a year's pre-tax income. And as you say, that doesn't make you "big money" at all.

So regular game attendance is largely reserved for the top quarter in Arkansans income.

The bare minimum football season ticket cost $250 with no donation.  For a family of four that would be $1000. Add the $1,500 in gas/hotel/food and that would be a total of $2,500.  This is very manageable but it's all about choices.

Some people rather spend $2,500 on vacations.  Some people spend $2,500 on tobacco and alcohol.
WORK FOR IT
PLAN ON IT
EARN IT
OMAHOGS

ChitownHawg

This is news to you? What sports team brings in the lower half income people from their locale? Sports, in general, is getting more expensive.
PonderinHog: "My mother gave me a framed cross-stitch picture that reads, "You can tell a Hog fan, but you can't tell him much.  Go Hogs!" It's a blessing and a curse."  :razorback:

Klamath River Hog: " Is your spell check made in India?"

ricepig

Quote from: factchecker on September 06, 2017, 07:54:02 pm
The bare minimum football season ticket cost $250 with no donation.  For a family of four that would be $1000. Add the $1,500 in gas/hotel/food and that would be a total of $2,500.  This is very manageable but it's all about choices.

Some people rather spend $2,500 on vacations.  Some people spend $2,500 on tobacco and alcohol.

Correct, it helps if you add in all the variables in ticket prices, lol.

Quote from: ChitownHawg on September 06, 2017, 07:57:12 pm
This is news to you? What sports team brings in the lower half income people from their locale? Sports, in general, is getting more expensive.
It is not news to me. But it is interesting.

WilsonHog

I think that your last statement might be the case, or close to it.

To be fair, I certainly could have season tickets at a lower cost. My seats are in the South Indoor Club.

Farmer Hogget

The idiot who wrote this story knows nothing!  Coach is not on the hot seat at all.  Dude needs a new profession.

factchecker

Quote from: Karma on September 06, 2017, 08:07:55 pm
It is not news to me. But it is interesting.

Check out the season ticket cost of other SEC programs.

QuoteSCHOOL       PRICE       DONATION       TOTAL
Auburn      $475          $280               $755
Alabama      $435          $145               $580
Florida      $330          $200               $530
Texas A&M   $490       $30             $520
Georgia      $270       $250             $520
Ole Miss      $400       $50             $450
Tennessee    $420       $0             $420
South Carolina $365       $50             $415
LSU              $360       $0             $360
Missouri        $288       $0             $288
Arkansas      $250       $0             $250
Mississippi State $220    $0               $220
Kentucky       $175      $0                   $175
Vanderbilt       $120      $0                   $120

https://www.seccountry.com/sec/football-season-ticket-prices-for-sec-schools
WORK FOR IT
PLAN ON IT
EARN IT
OMAHOGS

axharbor

Win, we're in the SEC whether it's up or down we need to win. 6 wins is unacceptable to me, 7 wins is unacceptable to me, 8 wins I can live with but still want more. I want 8 wins a year minimum. Tired of the excuses. Tired of the "schedule is hard."  I'm positive CBB knew which conference Arkansas was in when he took the job. If the job or schedule are to tough, then let's get someone in here that's up for it. My hopes are that we start seeing the wins pile up higher than the excuses...

moses_007

Only 6 wins will be acceptable?  Hell, 6 wins have NEVER EVER been acceptable at Arkansas, not since I've been following the program since 1959.

ricepig

Quote from: Surfing8 on September 07, 2017, 12:50:21 am
That's pretty interesting information... with the possible exception of Missouri I think an argument could be made for every program with higher season ticket costs also having a higher level of expectations when it comes to results on the field.

If the majority of the expectations bantered around here are any kind of barometer, that is.

Get what you pay for? 

So, raise the ticket prices!

ricepig

Quote from: moses_007 on September 07, 2017, 01:08:24 am
Only 6 wins will be acceptable?  Hell, 6 wins have NEVER EVER been acceptable at Arkansas, not since I've been following the program since 1959.

Well, you nor I make the decisions on what is, or isn't acceptable, do we?

onebadrubi

Quote from: hawgon on September 06, 2017, 05:24:12 pm
Must be why there are literal scads of tickets available for the game this weekend.  You can still get them from the ticket office.  There are tons on Stubhub.  Easiest ticket I've seen in years for a game that is arguably as big as this one is.

Really?  Good tickets seem hard to come by for this game..  But that doesn't fit your BS agenda now does it.

hawgon

Quote from: onebadrubi on September 07, 2017, 12:00:51 pm
Really?  Good tickets seem hard to come by for this game..  But that doesn't fit your BS agenda now does it.

Thursday...still tickets available at the ticket offic much less stubhub.

http://ev12.evenue.net/cgi-bin/ncommerce3/SEGetEventList?groupCode=FBI&linkID=m-arkansas&shopperContext=&caller=&appCode=

hogcard1964

Quote from: onebadrubi on September 07, 2017, 12:00:51 pm

SH has over 4000 seats listed for sale.

onebadrubi

Quote from: hogcard1964 on September 07, 2017, 12:27:48 pm
SH has over 4000 seats listed for sale.

You should buy one, you would enjoy your first time at a razorback game.

Calling All Hogs

Ha ha. Welcome to Texas Tom Herman. Already on the hot seat after one game.  :P

onebadrubi

Quote from: hawgon on September 07, 2017, 12:26:32 pm
Thursday...still tickets available at the ticket offic much less stubhub.

http://ev12.evenue.net/cgi-bin/ncommerce3/SEGetEventList?groupCode=FBI&linkID=m-arkansas&shopperContext=&caller=&appCode=

I can find what appears to be the visiting section and then the very top and corners, which is to be expected even for big games.  There are maybe 5 games in the last 10 years the top corners were completely full.  Bama in 2010, Auburn in 2011, bama in was that 14 or 15?  and I am sure I am missing 1 or 2.

DeltaBoy

The SEC should be down a bit this year. So we need to expolite it to our advantage.
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

jcbville

Quote from: onebadrubi on September 07, 2017, 12:49:46 pm
I can find what appears to be the visiting section and then the very top and corners, which is to be expected even for big games.  There are maybe 5 games in the last 10 years the top corners were completely full.  Bama in 2010, Auburn in 2011, bama in was that 14 or 15?  and I am sure I am missing 1 or 2.

Anyone who legitimately thinks that the stadium wont be full this weekend is purposely believing Fairy Tales.

STLHogFan

I sat through that disaster at Mizzou last year - a terrible stadium by the way.  He should be like #5 on the list. 
BEVO - It's what's for dinner.

Hog N Bama

I like CBB and I want him to succeed. He has won some notable conference games.  It's the multiple losses to teams he was SUPPOSE to win that I have an issue with and the last two games of last year blowing leads. There seems to be no end to that problem. That's coaching pure and simple. Maybe the change at DC will fix it. Surely hope so.

Hog N Bama

Quote from: Calling All Hogs on September 07, 2017, 12:38:07 pm
Ha ha. Welcome to Texas Tom Herman. Already on the hot seat after one game.  :P
totally agree

pigmailyen

Quote from: moses_007 on September 07, 2017, 01:08:24 am

Never...except:
1972    6-5
1973    5-5-1
1974    6-4-1
1976    5-5-1
1983    6-5
1990    3-8
1991    6-6
1992    3-7-1
1993    6-4-1
1994    4-7
1996    4-7
1997    4-7
2000    6-6
2004    5-6
2005    4-7
2008    5-7
2012    4-8
2013    3-9

Six wins or fewer in 18 of the last 45 seasons, or 40%.