Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

March 28, 2024, 04:35:04 pm

Perry

Started by BannerMountainMan, July 17, 2017, 11:32:35 am

Previous topic - Next topic

azhog10

Still kinda funny. We should land any kid that plays with an Ark club, if we don't get him we utterly failed but when we get them (Kingsley) it's a forgone conclusion.

azhog10

Quote from: Letsroll1200 on July 17, 2017, 02:17:06 pm
According to a article on The Clarion-Ledger Al perry was quoted as saying " coach Howland allowing his stretch-fours to handle the basketball, setting four or five screens for (them) and create some mismatches,"" Al said. It's something we looked at, not stifling Reggie's game.

"Coach style allows him to show his versatility on both ends of the court"   

www. clarionledger.com
which is funny bc Bobby had the ball in his hands a lot. CMA has shown he can adjust to match his best players abilities. This had to do with Adidas and Howland handlers. Etop Udo was on the staff of Perrys USA basketball team.

The Hogfather

Quote from: Youngsta71701 on July 17, 2017, 02:12:24 pm
Yep, My brother lives in Dallas, TX but hates the Texas Longhorns. Go figure.

He lived in Little Rock, played/plays for the Arkansas Hawks with multiple Arkansas commitments, and committed to Arkansas, calling it his Kentucky, Kansas, or Duke.

311Hog

According to a article on The Clarion-Ledger Al perry was quoted as saying " coach Howland allowing his stretch-fours to handle the basketball, setting four or five screens for (them) and create some mismatches,"" Al said. It's something we looked at, not stifling Reggie's game.

www. clarionledger.com

Yeah Howland is a great developer of talent....

http://collegebasketball.nbcsports.com/2012/02/29/story-paints-ben-howland-an-uncaring-coach-who-ignored-players-coddled-to-stars-and-ignored-issues/

ShadowHawg

www. clarionledger.com

That doesn't mean that MA would stifle his game. You just have to look to Portis to see how Perry would be used.

It's just saying that Miss St also offers him a chance to show what he could do.

The Hogfather

www. clarionledger.com

Wow. 

QuotePerry can score inside the paint and beyond while also being an excellent rebounder.
"Really what Coach Anderson told me was that he was going to let me do everything on the floor," Perry said. I'll be able to facilitate, score and rebound to help win a national championship."

http://www.wholehogsports.com/news/2016/aug/17/reggie-perry-commits-hogs/

King Kong

Quote from: ShadowHawg on July 17, 2017, 02:25:08 pm
That doesn't mean that MA would stifle his game. You just have to look to Portis to see how Perry would be used.

It's just saying that Miss St also offers him a chance to show what he could do.

FYI The post below yours just owned you

ShadowHawg

Quote from: King Kong on July 17, 2017, 02:26:44 pm
FYI The post below yours just owned you

I think you need to learn to read better. It backs up to a tee what I said.

King Kong

Quote from: ShadowHawg on July 17, 2017, 02:28:21 pm
I think you need to learn to read better. It backs up to a tee what I said.

Lol. I love you doubling down on this. It's hilarious

It's even funnier because either you are to stubborn to admit it or truly this oblivious

The reasoning for Miss State was exactly the same

ShadowHawg

Quote from: King Kong on July 17, 2017, 02:33:36 pm
Lol. I love you doubling down on this. It's hilarious

It's even funnier because either you are to stubborn to admit it or truly this obvious.

So both coaches allowing their bigs to handle the ball with neither limiting what he would be allowed to do is somehow different in your world.

cosmodrum

Lol, well done, Mike.

Go away, batin'

beachhog

He and his family are getting paid and will probably live there while he is on campus.  May not be a one and done player.  Howland knows it.   

FineAsSwine

Kansas, KY, Auburn and Fla St. lost him to Ms St too. They've got some pretty good recruiters,  how did they lose out? What was the pull of Starkville? Hmmm.
Hogs up! Covid down!

The Hogfather

Quote from: FineAsSwine on July 17, 2017, 02:46:32 pm
Kansas, KY, Auburn and Fla St. lost him to Ms St too. They've got some pretty good recruiters,  how did they lose out? What was the pull of Starkville? Hmmm.

I hear it is beautiful during basketball season.  Very green.  ;)

Letsroll1200

Quote from: ShadowHawg on July 17, 2017, 02:25:08 pm

I agree. Who ever thought Moses Kingsley would be shooting mid range and 3 point shots.

lynbug

Quote from: Hawg Red on July 17, 2017, 12:48:25 pm
Is it really paying off, though?

I love the way he runs the program but I don't see much of ceiling if we can't get more of these elite kids that are either from Arkansas or deeply connected to the state. Not awhile also continually losing top 150 players like Babb and Whitt. Maybe if we could get guys like Whitt and Babb to stay in the program and develop (even if they don't pan out as the players we had hoped for), but when you combine losing players with that potential and losing almost all of the nationally-relevant in-state kids, it looks rocky.
Couldn't have said it better.  Not enough 4 and 5 stars coming in and too many, at all levels, leaving. I'm about to decide it's time to readjust my expectations.  I won't be nearly as stressed out.

HognitiveDissonance

Quote from: Fayettetopia on July 17, 2017, 02:06:25 pm
It makes perfect sense that he wanted to be closer to home (which it is by several hours), and he wants to honor his dad. It's a solution to both of the problems he named when he decommitted (dad's illness, distance from home).  It has nothing to do with Mike if you consider those things. If it did, he wouldn't have committed here in the first place.
Normally I cringe (or laugh, depending on mood) when I see the usual suspects tripping and falling over themselves in a rush to defend Mike against everything, but in this case it's true. You can't pin this one on Mike. If Perry had not committed to Ark beforehand, not one person would have surprised had he committed to his dad's school. It's still SEC, and it's much closer than Fayetteville is.
a)Perry the player could have handled it better and not be in a rush to commit (we don't know he's done yet---he may change his mind again)
b)fans should know better and not pay so much attention to a kid's quotes to a newspaper and instead just pay attention to where he ultimately signs his LOI
This ain't over yet, until he does.

311Hog

Quote from: HognitiveDissonance on July 17, 2017, 03:09:00 pm
Normally I cringe (or laugh, depending on mood) when I see the usual suspects tripping and falling over themselves in a rush to defend Mike against everything, but in this case it's true. You can't pin this one on Mike. If Perry had not committed to Ark beforehand, not one person would have surprised had he committed to his dad's school. It's still SEC, and it's much closer than Fayetteville is.
a)Perry the player could have handled it better and not be in a rush to commit (we don't know he's done yet---he may change his mind again)
b)fans should know better and not pay so much attention to a kid's quotes to a newspaper and instead just pay attention to where he ultimately signs his LOI
This ain't over yet, until he does.

the kid literally wrote a letter that said the Hogs were his Kentucky.  the fact the rest of his AAU team are also Hog commits is just icing on the cake of certainty at this point.  And yet here we are.  I am not blaming mike at all, but i am not going to call a 7 hour car ride "closer" when you are talking in the context of an "old man's" health.  Now if you were trying to tell me that Perry wanted his school to "make it possible" for his Dad to be closer to him and MSU agreed to being his alma mater and the Hogs wouldn't because well that is a NCAA violation or should be, i would believe that.

But i in no way believe that Perry decided to give his AAU teammates the finger, sign with a shiet team in Miss Stake in a shiet town in a shiet state for no other reason than his dad finally spoke up and made his desire that his son follow his foot steps known? 

There is no part of me that does not believe something incredibly shady is going on with this, and after having watching the Ben Simmons flick from his time at LSU Perry may have a regretable time his "one and done" year.

Little Lady Back

Quote from: Letsroll1200 on July 17, 2017, 01:50:05 pm
He play AAU basketball in the summer for a Arkansas based club. He's had a relationship with his father all of his life. In recruiting sometimes its about relationships and connections. When Daryl Macon signed with the Hogs he talked about his grandfathers love for the Razorbacks. That might have played some part in Macon becoming a Razorback.

Reggie decided to listen to his father. I'm not mad at the kid because when I was 17 my father's word was the gospel at my house. I'm not upset at the kid and it's not Mike Anderson fault.

This is most likely what happened. Unfortunately, most on here choose to ignore reason. It sucks but it is what it is...   
#NolanRichardsonCourt

bigyellowdog

At least it was not Kentucky. 

TrueBlue

Maybe since he is a "legacy", he will have his legacy dad's stats as well:

Average Season Stats
'74-'75 - 3.0 pts; 1.0 reb
'75-'76 - 5.9 pts; 2.2 reb
'76-'77 - 5.4 pts; 2.0 reb
'77-'78 - 3.4 pts; 1.0 reb

https://www.sports-reference.com/cbb/schools/mississippi-state/1978.html

Arazorbackguy1

Quote from: bigyellowdog on July 17, 2017, 04:27:20 pm
At least it was not Kentucky.
He hasn't signed yet, there is still time.
I have 10 to 12 points to make per game.

Justifiable Hogicide

Quote from: Hawg Red on July 17, 2017, 11:38:59 am
He'll have to play in Bud Walton next year, I think.
That's no plus for us.

JayBell

Quote from: Arazorbackguy1 on July 17, 2017, 04:59:52 pmHe hasn't signed yet, there is still time.

He's not coming to Arkansas.  Especially not after his family's response to the fans' response to his decommitment.  I think that bridge was doused with gasoline before it was set on fire.

Breems

Quote from: JayBell on July 17, 2017, 05:13:05 pm
He's not coming to Arkansas.  Especially not after his family's response to the fans' response to his decommitment.  I think that bridge was doused with gasoline before it was set on fire.

Plus that bridge adds a few miles from MSU, leaving him too far from Florida.
Proud member of the "Left Before Halftime" football club.

Quote from: Breems on January 27, 2011, 08:42:29 pm<br />SCREW VANDERBILT<br />

TebowHater

Can someone please post what Macon said?

The tweet linked earlier in the thread was deleted by Macon, so those of us just signing have no idea what he said

beachhog

Our newest recruiter is...

HognitiveDissonance

Quote from: 311Hog on July 17, 2017, 03:14:02 pm
the kid literally wrote a letter that said the Hogs were his Kentucky.  the fact the rest of his AAU team are also Hog commits is just icing on the cake of certainty at this point.  And yet here we are.  I am not blaming mike at all, but i am not going to call a 7 hour car ride "closer" when you are talking in the context of an "old man's" health.  Now if you were trying to tell me that Perry wanted his school to "make it possible" for his Dad to be closer to him and MSU agreed to being his alma mater and the Hogs wouldn't because well that is a NCAA violation or should be, i would believe that.

But i in no way believe that Perry decided to give his AAU teammates the finger, sign with a shiet team in Miss Stake in a shiet town in a shiet state for no other reason than his dad finally spoke up and made his desire that his son follow his foot steps known? 

There is no part of me that does not believe something incredibly shady is going on with this, and after having watching the Ben Simmons flick from his time at LSU Perry may have a regretable time his "one and done" year.
Yes, and he's also 17 years old. Who knows what they're thinking. Who cares what he gives to a newspaper reporter? Those are all cliches' anyway.
I even posted once after reading all those comments that 'well, he doesn't appear like he's a threat to de-commit anytime soon'. This was after, I believe, KY pounded us by 26 at Rupp and Perry tweeted some things like 'that won't happen again'.
So I'm preaching to myself as much as anyone.
Don't put much stock in a kid's comments. Just watch and wait for his actual signature. Actions/words.

The_Iceman

www. clarionledger.com

There you have it. He left because of Mike Anderson.

Breems

Quote from: The_Iceman on July 17, 2017, 06:34:20 pm

Quote from: The Hogfather on July 17, 2017, 02:25:18 pm
QuotePerry can score inside the paint and beyond while also being an excellent rebounder.
"Really what Coach Anderson told me was that he was going to let me do everything on the floor," Perry said. I'll be able to facilitate, score and rebound to help win a national championship."
Proud member of the "Left Before Halftime" football club.

Quote from: Breems on January 27, 2011, 08:42:29 pm<br />SCREW VANDERBILT<br />

rzrbackramsfan

www. clarionledger.com

I'd rather have a four star that says, i love the school and coaching staff and I'm willing to do whatever it takes to help the team win.  Perry's statement was like the opposite of I'm willing to do whatever it takes to help the team win. 

HogBeliever625

Anybody got a copy of Reggie's commitment letter to Arkansas?

bkjbearcat

Guys, guys, guys. Everyone calm down! I'm sure MA and staff have it all figured out. I bet right now their scouting the country to find that three star JUCO to replace Perry in the class. Everything will be alright.
B-E-A-R-C-A-T-S BEARCATS, BEARCATS GOOOOOOO BEARCATS!!!!!!!<br /><br />D2 National Champs in Football: 1998, 1999, 2009, 2013, 2015, 2016<br /><br />D2 National Champs in Mens Basketball: 2017, 2019, No.1 team in 2020,2021, 2022

tophawg19

www. clarionledger.com
All i hear from them is Me , Me , Me . His daddy wants him to be a superstar , no matter the cost to the team. This is starting to sound like the UCLA father /son duo . It's all about My son getting his , screw the team. Well with the talent at MSU he will have a chance to carry the team. Here he was going to have to be part of the team and might not have started if he couldn't fit the team concept . He clearly didn't care about the Committment to his Hawks teammates much less the U OF A
if you ain't a hawg you ain't chitlins

RealHog

Quote from: HogBeliever625 on July 17, 2017, 07:15:17 pm
Anybody got a copy of Reggie's commitment letter to Arkansas?

Here ya go

Hogimus Prime

Only difference is MA wouldn't have Perry run through four or five screens, cause he wouldn't need to with the shooters spreading the floor for Perry. 

TebowHater

Miss State player defending Perry, talking about paying his bills. Stupid thing to say, whether that's the case or not. Gotta appreciate the honesty of our Mississippi neighbors, a la Tunsil.

https://twitter.com/IjReady/status/887077545346293760

tophawg19

I think IJ Ready was from Arkansas . Thug ? Arkansas has many Companies Who hire former Hogs , hope Mississippi is that good to him .
if you ain't a hawg you ain't chitlins

Hogimus Prime

Quote from: tophawg19 on July 17, 2017, 08:16:15 pm
I think IJ Ready was from Arkansas . Thug ? Arkansas has many Companies Who hire former Hogs , hope Mississippi is that good to him .

He is from Arkansas.  Ready was a Coach Ray signee.  I don't think Arkansas recruited Ready.  Maybe some sour grapes on Ready's part

King Kong

July 17, 2017, 08:21:44 pm #141 Last Edit: July 17, 2017, 08:46:08 pm by King Kong
Quote from: TebowHater on July 17, 2017, 08:00:51 pm
Miss State player defending Perry, talking about paying his bills. Stupid thing to say, whether that's the case or not. Gotta appreciate the honesty of our Mississippi neighbors, a la Tunsil.

https://twitter.com/IjReady/status/887077545346293760

IJ is from Little Rock. His dad trains Macon and Justice.

Wanted to be a Razorback but we didn't offer

Hawg Red

IJ Ready committed to Nebraska (where Wes Flanigan was at the time) the same day Portis committed to Arkansas. Portis got the offer at the UA camp and Ready didn't. Then Ready followed Flanigan to MSU. The Hogs were actually technically overbooked for that 2013 class with Bobby and eventually Moses committed but only one scholarship open, though most knew that Powell and Young would be going pro. The staff tried and failed to recruit several guards into the program and eventually took on Keaton Miles as a transfer (and still didn't fill all open spots). It's odd that they pursued guards from outside the state knowing that they would have multiple spots open when they probably could have shown the in-state kid some love and had a good 4-year rotation player. Ready was good enough for two P5 schools in two different P5 conferences (granted, lower level of each conference). Still, it wasn't obvious miss at the time, though I do remember some questioning why more effort wasn't put into getting Ready. I think the notion of Parkview being anti-Razorback was the reason.

Youngsta71701

Quote from: The_Iceman on July 17, 2017, 06:34:20 pm
Dude, if you had enough sense you would realize that that's just another BS excuse. Have you not realized by now that you can't believe a thing that he or his mom and dad say? Or do you  have enough sense to realize that as well? Or are you just so hell bent on blaming everything on Coach A? Which one is it? I'll wait... :-\
"The more things change the more they stay the same"

Youngsta71701

Quote from: Hawg Red on July 17, 2017, 08:38:02 pm
IJ Ready committed to Nebraska (where Wes Flanigan was at the time) the same day Portis committed to Arkansas. Portis got the offer at the UA camp and Ready didn't. Then Ready followed Flanigan to MSU. The Hogs were actually technically overbooked for that 2013 class with Bobby and eventually Moses committed but only one scholarship open, though most knew that Powell and Young would be going pro. The staff tried and failed to recruit several guards into the program and eventually took on Keaton Miles as a transfer (and still didn't fill all open spots). It's odd that they pursued guards from outside the state knowing that they would have multiple spots open when they probably could have shown the in-state kid some love and had a good 4-year rotation player. Ready was good enough for two P5 schools in two different P5 conferences (granted, lower level of each conference). Still, it wasn't obvious miss at the time, though I do remember some questioning why more effort wasn't put into getting Ready. I think the notion of Parkview being anti-Razorback was the reason.
Uh, excuse me, it's not like Ready was an All-American at Mississippi State or something? He's irrelevant. Just saying...

JayBell

Quote from: Youngsta71701 on July 18, 2017, 07:50:50 amUh, excuse me, it's not like Ready was an All-American at Mississippi State or something? He's irrelevant. Just saying...

A four-year SEC starter is irrelevant?  Stop blindly defending Anderson.  At least put some thought into it.  You can say it wasn't a miss without blatantly insulting a player.  Ready led Mississippi State in assists the last two seasons.  You don't think Arkansas could have used a senior point guard last season?

Just like with all of the others, it's not a simple one-time thing, but if you constantly ignore or miss out on players like Ready, Reaves, Ross, Curry, Willis, etc. on top of the Monks and Allens, don't act like fans are being unreasonable for being disappointed.

Youngsta71701

Quote from: JayBell on July 18, 2017, 09:43:10 am
A four-year SEC starter is irrelevant?  Stop blindly defending Anderson.  At least put some thought into it.  You can say it wasn't a miss without blatantly insulting a player.  Ready led Mississippi State in assists the last two seasons.  You don't think Arkansas could have used a senior point guard last season?

Just like with all of the others, it's not a simple one-time thing, but if you constantly ignore or miss out on players like Ready, Reaves, Ross, Curry, Willis, etc. on top of the Monks and Allens, don't act like fans are being unreasonable for being disappointed.
Ready wasn't even good enough to be mentioned in the same breath as those other cats. "Come on man"
Let me ask you a couple of questions. Were you at all impressed with what he did at Mississippi State?
Was he a difference maker or an impact player?

Youngsta71701

Quote from: JayBell on July 18, 2017, 09:43:10 am

Dude, he was a 4 year starter because, well, who were their other options? And it's not like he set the world on fire or did he? He led Mississippi State in assists the last two seasons but how many wins and NCAA tournaments did that get them exactly? And BTW I wasn't at all disappointed that Ready didn't come to Arkansas. As a matter of fact I didn't even notice it until I seen him playing for Mississippi State.

LRHog

Either the kid is a loser and is full of darn with every thing he says.... or he's going there to get dad to shut the hell up.

Either way the Perry family is LAME.

Hawg Red

Quote from: Youngsta71701 on July 18, 2017, 10:01:02 am
Ready wasn't even good enough to be mentioned in the same breath as those other cats. "Come on man"
Let me ask you a couple of questions. Were you at all impressed with what he did at Mississippi State?
Was he a difference maker or an impact player?

Quote from: Youngsta71701 on July 18, 2017, 10:01:49 am
Dude, he was a 4 year starter because, well, who were their other options? And it's not like he set the world on fire or did he? He led Mississippi State in assists the last two seasons but how many wins and NCAA tournaments did that get them exactly? And BTW I wasn't at all disappointed that Ready didn't come to Arkansas. As a matter of fact I didn't even notice it until I seen him playing for Mississippi State.

So he was basically senior Jabril Durham then? Did you think Jabril Durham was a useful player for that disastrous 2015-2016 Razorback team? I bet if you asked Moses Kingsley, he'd say he was. PG that can get the big man the ball. We could have used that last season. Moses could have used it. I said in my post that he wasn't viewed as a miss at the time but he was a solid SEC player. Obviously. And the staff knew there would be a need at guard. I never said they should have gone all-out for him but they could have at least recruited him.